• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

I've always considered Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo the three most popular and iconic Pokémon, and I think Game Freak giving Charizard and Mewtwo two Mega Evolutions attests to that.

Neiteio

I've always considered Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo the three most popular and iconic Pokémon, and I think Game Freak giving Charizard and Mewtwo two Mega Evolutions attests to that.
Yep. I still think there's a good chance we'll see Mewtwo as DLC, with Mega Mewtwo Y as his Final Smash.

Anth0ny

Yeah I think those are definitely the top 3 most popular Pokemon.

Im not 100% sure about that. They are definitely up there but I do think some pokemon like Blaziken and Lucario from subsequent generations are also up there. Lucario is one of the only pokemon in X/Y that is apart of the main plot and considering that most pokemon aren't part of the main plot especially when they are two generations old. Charizard for sure but id say Lucario is probably third. Yes Mewtwo got two mega evolutions but Lucario was the key to discovering mega evolution and every player in X/Y gets handed one.

rekameohs

Banned
I think Lucario's quite a bit bigger than Mewtwo at this point.

zroid

Banned
more lewd pics incoming

image.php

you knew this was coming

evidently he's not one of Sakurai's favorites though ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

Mewtwo getting two megas is no big deal because Charizard also got two megas? What kind of reasoning is that?

Both Pokemon can be a big deal. There can be more than one popular and promoted Pokemon.

A Pokemon getting two Mega Evolutions is a pretty big fucking deal at the moment considering how many Pokemon currently have more than one.

Mewtwo is the most prominent Pokemon not currently playable and arguing otherwise is just being a silly anti-"genwunner" contrarian for the sake of being a silly anti-"genwunner" contrarian.

munchie64

As someone who knows next to nothing about Pokemon, I can agree with this. Maybe Lucario's bigger now?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah Lucario does seem to be pretty popular despite not being around since the beginning *but he's almost a decade old now*

I know the recent series had, like, seven episodes or so featuring him. I definitely think he's earned a permanent place in Smash at this point, even if he was pushed by GameFreak (then again so was Mewtwo, Pikachu, and Charizard), and I can't think of any non Gen-1 Pokemon who could be compared to him. Zoroark who seemed to be another attempt at him never caught on in the same way, and Generation 6 abandoned the idea of a character akin to Lucario and Zoroark and just used him again.

Fuck man, I wanted Genesect playable!

Awesome mecha-inspired, car-transforming robot.

Gartooth

I don't understand the argument that not being in Smash = Mewtwo not being popular. Mewtwo getting a ton of promotion for X and Y should be evidence that the character has remained relevant despite being dropped from the Smash series post Melee. Red being dropped from Smash 4 didn't all of a sudden make Pokemon Trainers irrelevant to the franchise outside of Smash.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
A lot of fans ended up disappointed though with Mewtwo's role.

He really feels like he was thrown into XY at the last minute alongside the Legendary Birds, who basically have 0 story to them. It's sort of a "ho-hum" moment when you encounter him, honestly. And some people consider the XY Megas to be ruining a good design.

Also the one in the new movie's a new female Mewtwo, which totally set people off.

Anyway, please you guys, don't start a Gen War. Pokemon's a huge series and I think all of its iterations deserve a chance to be represented, the same with Fire Emblem.

jnWake

I for one am glad we're going back to the humorous and weird PotDs we used to get back at the beginning, at least for awhile. They were a lot of fun and allowed Sakurai's quirky sense of humor to shine through. It only makes sense, too, as it's not as if there's anything secret or hidden left in Smash 3DS for Sakurai to show in PotDs.

Anyway, I'm not sure why everyone is acting as if this is the end. He's going to do quirky/weird PotDs for awhile, and then once Nintendo's PR hype machine for Smash Wii U kicks in, we'll start getting informational PotDs about new stuff in that version. That's pretty much what I got from what he said, and it's exactly what I (and I thought most of us) expected. I don't know what the rest of you were thinking he'd do with PotDs right after Smash 3DS's release now that the game is out in Japan and everyone knows its secrets... it was unreasonable to think he'd immediately switch right over into revealing Wii U-exclusive content.

The Smash and PotD hype is not over, not by a long shot; it's just taking a different form for awhile, but I expect things to kick back into high gear as we approach the Wii U version's release. Maybe in mid to late October?

Now we just need people to datamine Smash 3DS already so we can ascertain if there are maybe some additional character announcements to look forward to! But even if not, the roster's already near-perfect as it is, so I'm happy either way.

You're surprised that Smash GAF is overreacting?

Jawmuncher

With Smash WiiU rumored for nov 21st. I'm guessing they're going to start pushing it right after the 3DS launch. Wonder just how big of a deal they'll treat it. Makes sense for it to be in the background now. But with later releases in US&EU it gives them less time to push everything about it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
With Smash WiiU rumored for nov 21st. I'm guessing they're going to start pushing it right after the 3DS launch. Wonder just how big of a deal they'll treat it. Makes sense for it to be in the background now. But with later releases in US&EU it gives them less time to push everything about it.

Well, I could foresee that we are getting Smash U Direct during Nov.

I tried to figure out roster character representation weighting mathematically, in an attempt to explain things like "Why did Star Fox only get two reps?"

7iBdFYu.jpg

... And now nobody will know what the hell I'm talking about.

Yes! The "Wii" series is missing four reps! It's time for WiiMote Safety Man to swing in!

Y0r6cpu.png

Yeah Lucario does seem to be pretty popular despite not being around since the beginning *but he's almost a decade old now*

I know the recent series had, like, seven episodes or so featuring him. I definitely think he's earned a permanent place in Smash at this point, even if he was pushed by GameFreak (then again so was Mewtwo, Pikachu, and Charizard), and I can't think of any non Gen-1 Pokemon who could be compared to him. Zoroark who seemed to be another attempt at him never caught on in the same way, and Generation 6 abandoned the idea of a character akin to Lucario and Zoroark and just used him again.

Fuck man, I wanted Genesect playable!

Awesome mecha-inspired, car-transforming robot.

Inb4 we get the more recent, feminine Mewtwo and people still complain.

Golnei

Why does he still have that awful TP look.

What's so bad about the TP look? For me, it's easily one of his best - reflecting both brutish power and monarchical elegance. The fact that both Twilight Princess and Brawl were some of Ganondorf's worst outings as a character shouldn't detract from the design itself.

After playing the demo a bit, I caved in and bought these on Amazon.

10-cyber-gadget-3ds-pad-3.jpg

Hopefully this stops my fingers from slipping.

Can you post a link please?

I bought some when I was upgrading my 3DS's grip and these are bad. Really bad.

For one, they don't stay on. At all. They always pop off if you put any motion or pressure on them so Smash Bros shits all over them. The other problem is that to even get them on you have to put a TON of pressure directly on top of the slide pad. My slide pad made a click and wouldn't move normally for a bit. I had to get my fingernail underneath it and pull up to fix it. The pad still works but my hear froze when I heard that initial click and my pad stopped moving right.

Don't get these. They are hot garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom