• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

superbrothers: sword & sworcery ep | 2011 Indie Hype

Apath

I just bought this. Most expensive game I've bought on the App Store yet... let's hope it doesn't disappoint =P

Tokubetsu

The Big Rig said:
I bought the soundtrack based on one song. Hey, it worked out for VVVVVV.

I'm trying to finish the game first but the score is so good I'm tempted to just dip right now haha. Woulda grabbed the vinyl too had I not bought MK this week ='(

atomsk

Party Pooper
chris121580 said:
Stuck in session III :(
I'm having some serious problems. I know if I enter the dream with the full moon that I'm supposed to have bubbles where I can go into sworcery mode, particularly where Jim Guthrie is sitting and playing guitar. They're not there and even if I try to go into the mode, things that should be touchable aren't. I have 3 stars showing as my health including not an empty 4th one. Do I need to have 4 full stars to go into sworcery mode? Really stuck here so any help is appreciated. Also, I've already completed the dream for dark moon

I just had this exact same problem.

=(

Juanadams

Banned
So is this out for Iphone yet?

Will this ever come to macbook's app store? I hate playing on such a small screen, but I guess if I have to i'll get it on iphone.

Apath

Juanadams said:
So is this out for Iphone yet?

Will this ever come to macbook's app store? I hate playing on such a small screen, but I guess if I have to i'll get it on iphone.
Yes... the easiest way to search for this information is to check the App Store on iTunes or on your phone, or to go to the online app store website and check.

itunes.apple.com link
(link doesn't work, just google Superbrothers Sword and Sorcery iTunes)

-Mikey-

Cromulent_Word said:
Here's the soundtrack link just in case anyone is interested.

http://jimguthrie.bandcamp.com/

sometime next week i'll probably give away a few codes;)

Also, Jim's doing another run of Vinyl...

Any idea when it will be? Would love to get a copy not only for the amazing tracks but that art is fantastic. Gotta start saving!

kswiston

-Mikey- said:
Any idea when it will be? Would love to get a copy not only for the amazing tracks but that art is fantastic. Gotta start saving!

You can buy the vinyl now, but Bandcamp says it's shipping in about a month.

Oxx

Brandon F said:
Only did the first scenario on iPhone. Not bad, not blowing my mind either. I have issues with the general movement and selection. It just feels like more effort must be made to get the game to register moving around the screen than it really should.

With all of the hype about rotating the phone for combat, I was expecting something FAR more interesting than a total loading cut to a separate screen with virtual buttons. Seemingly negating the entire intrigue, I mean what is the point exactly? The sole sword puzzle in the first session that required rotation was more inventive at least, giving at least a bit of contextual purpose. I'll see how it pans out.

This is pretty close to my impression so far, but I am really liking some of the music.

mujun

Is there a glitch with this game's sound? I usually play games on the Ipod with no sound but of course I turn the sound on when I play this game. I turned the sound on the other day and it was working fine but today, when I turn on the speaker, nothing. I tried a bunch of other games and they work fine, tried resetting the game a bunch of times and nothing. I effectively can't play the game because I don't want to play it without sound.

Cromulent_Word said:
Here's the soundtrack link just in case anyone is interested.

http://jimguthrie.bandcamp.com/

sometime next week i'll probably give away a few codes;)

Also, Jim's doing another run of Vinyl...

4003479035-1.jpg
Immediately after playing the first session I bought the vinyl. Amazing experience thus far; wow.

mujun said:
Is there a glitch with this game's sound? I usually play games on the Ipod with no sound but of course I turn the sound on when I play this game. I turned the sound on the other day and it was working fine but today, when I turn on the speaker, nothing. I tried a bunch of other games and they work fine, tried resetting the game a bunch of times and nothing. I effectively can't play the game because I don't want to play it without sound.
It's a known issue w/ multitasking. either reset your device or even just kill the tasks running and boot it back up and it should work. We should have a fix for this soon.

oracrest

I can't tell if I have hit a bug, or am doing something wrong, but....

in the fight against the triangle, it just seems to hang there, with the three lines around the main triangle. I can use the shield and sword, but nothing ever happens. If I am just missing something altogether, just a hint please....

forrest

formerly nacire
So I know very little about this title despite a few small videos, and I couldn't help listening to about a quarter of the soundtrack. Are there any plans to bring this title to other platforms? Do the game play mechanics require it must be played on a touch screen? Could it be played on a pc with a pen tablet?

I don't currently own an iphone due to my current cell phone contract, but hopefully I'll be able to experience this game at some point in the future. Kudos on what appears to be a very stylistic and unique experience!

oracrest

oracrest said:

in the fight against the triangle, it just seems to hang there, with the three lines around the main triangle. I can use the shield and sword, but nothing ever happens. If I am just missing something altogether, just a hint please....

nobody?

dk_

A friend suggested that I try this game and I'm not disappointed. One of my favourite iPad experiences so far. Can't wait to play more!

Just finished the game. Man, what a really enjoyable experience. The gameplay was fine, the music was fantastic, and the world was spectacular. Well done.

Futureman

nacire said:
So I know very little about this title despite a few small videos, and I couldn't help listening to about a quarter of the soundtrack. Are there any plans to bring this title to other platforms? Do the game play mechanics require it must be played on a touch screen? Could it be played on a pc with a pen tablet?

I don't currently own an iphone due to my current cell phone contract, but hopefully I'll be able to experience this game at some point in the future. Kudos on what appears to be a very stylistic and unique experience!

Yea. Probably never getting an iPad (or at least not anytime soon). I'd love a Steam or XBox Live Arcade release.

Ravidrath said:
I'm at the bar with Garnett, and he's saying a podcast of his 4 years ago was the inspiration for the game: true or false?
Semi-true. I met Superbrothers while intoxicated at a 1UP party, where Garnett was podcasting w/ the drunkest of drunk Mathew Kumar. While they were podcasting i was yelling at Superbrothers about how we had to make a game together. Then we did. So Garnett did play a roll... Is that what he meant?
oracrest said:

You're the 2nd person to talk about this - indeed its a bug. We can't figure out how to reproduce it, but we're trying. Try simply quitting out of the game (not just multitask) and restarting the battle. Sorry.

We've submitted an update to Apple to resolve the multi-tasking-related "Sound doesn't play" bug, as well as the twitter issue a few people saw. Hopefully it will go through soon.

oracrest

Cromulent_Word said:
You're the 2nd person to talk about this - indeed its a bug. We can't figure out how to reproduce it, but we're trying. Try simply quitting out of the game (not just multitask) and restarting the battle. Sorry.

We've submitted an update to Apple to resolve the multi-tasking-related "Sound doesn't play" bug, as well as the twitter issue a few people saw. Hopefully it will go through soon.

If it helps
I loaded the game up where you touch the four big and four thin trees, and unlock the last sprite from the ground. I then went, talked with the woman, and went back to the sheep field. I pulled the two rocks together (although this took a minute or two of experimenting until I figured it out, specifically tapping and playing with the standing light pole in the middle.) Then the triangle came down, and as it was "ramping up" itself, I was tapping the sword and shield on and off, in anticipation of his attack. It froze just when the three outlines showed up around him.

I don't know if Jim Guthrie designed the music this way, but listening to this album while high is a whole new level of awesome. I do not necessarily recommend it, but it was a very enjoyable experience.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Cromulent_Word said:

Make that 3rd person. Still in love with the game and soundtrack tho.

Seriously, this is not a game that warrants waiting for a sale. I'll bet you'll have more fun with that $3 game than you've had with many $60 games, combined.

ant1532 said:
Nah, don't wait. Its 3 bucks. GET IT NOW.
Nah. When I have games to play on other systems that I've already bought there's no point in buying something full price.

Will grab at the most opportune time

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
yum, want to get that vinyl.

The game reminds me more of the Atari 2600 Raiders of the Lost Ark (not visually even, obtuse gameplay wise. but I do mean obtuse in the best possible way.)

oracrest

POWERSPHERE said:
the whole 'hold and view' control sucks. There's a tree puzzle that has me totally stuck with no way to reset. Bugwana

Are you
standing in the center of that screen, to be able to pan both left and right enough to see all the trees?

Zaptruder

Banned
Amazing. I just briefly considered picking an iPad up on the strength of the trailer linked in the OP.

But I won't. Hope you guys understand the hardcore appeal to this game and port it to more gaming platforms.

FiRez

POWERSPHERE said:
the whole 'hold and view' control sucks. There's a tree puzzle that has me totally stuck with no way to reset. Bugwana

Same thing happened to me, I bet it was in the awakening of the 5th spirit before the first trigon battle, what I did was touch several times the 1st and 3rd tree from the left and that did the trick

dLMN8R

Forgive me if this was mentioned in the thread already - session 2 bug. When you need to tap the trees while standing on the bridge, I got into this situation where I moved the camera off of my character. I could therefore no longer tap and hold on the character to move the screen around, so I was forever stuck on that screen with no way at all to move off of it.

This was on the iPhone version. Luckily, exiting the game and going back in started me fresh on that same screen, which fixed it.

Love the game though :)

bob page

Issue 2 of atomix mag for iPad has a bunch of video interviews between the area5 guys and devs of S&S. Definitely worth the $1 for that alone.

protonion

Stuck at session 3!
I got the second trigon in the area with the bear fight. Now what??? I'm stuck in the dreamworld.

Top Bottom