• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: Virtual Reality Video Game Industry to Generate $5.1 Billion in 2016

Tripon

http://fortune.com/2016/01/05/virtual-reality-game-industry-to-generate-billions/

Video games will be the key driver of virtual reality hardware this year, according to a new report from SuperData Research. Game developers will have a global audience of 55.8 million virtual reality users and produce 38.9 million virtual reality devices this year.

Consumers will spend $5.1 billion on virtual reality gaming hardware, accessories, and software in 2016. That’s up from $660 million in 2015, says the marketing leader. Meanwhile, the global market is expected to grow to $8.9 billion in 2017 and $12.3 billion in 2018.

A breakdown of this year’s $5.1 billion global market shows Europe in the lead with a $1.9 billion share and North America close behind with $1.6 billion. That’s followed by Asia with $1.1 billion, and the rest of the world accounting for $0.6 billion.

According to SuperData director of research Stephanie Llamas, light mobile virtual reality devices (like Google GOOGL 0.64% Cardboard) will drive the market at first with an audience of 27.1 million. Premium mobile virtual reality hardware like Samsung Gear VR will account for 2.5 million units sold in 2016. However, PC virtual reality devices (like Facebook’s Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive) will sell 6.6 million headsets, with Sony’s PlayStation VR selling 1.9 million units.

Guymelef

Dlink16

I think VR will sell enough units to sustain itself in the short term, but these numbers are ridiculously generous.

Chindogg

How about we actually start selling some VR products first before declaring how much they'll make over the year?

Makonero

You can run VR on a toaster. Now it depends on what quality you want to run it. And if you want to run it at PS4 quality, the range is likely a lot higher.

People always say this about toasters.

What kind of toaster should I get to run VR? Hamilton Beach? I didn't realize they made toasters that had processors, but I guess it's a natural evolution of the tech. What kind of toaster will have the right cables for me to run VR?

What kind of toaster should I get to run VR? Hamilton Beach? I didn't realize they made toasters that had processors, but I guess it's a natural evolution of the tech. What kind of toaster will have the right cables for me to run VR?

No cables. It's the power of the bread :)

Mivey

I personally only trust Kenwood with my VR toasters.

LPride

Banned
Holy crap, did you guys hear that the Kinect was the fastest selling personal entertainment electronic device in history?

yurinka

Mobile VR is going to be supported only by a few apps like 360 videos that are going to be very likely free, so as of now there won't be a market for mobile VR apps and games, specially when in mobile 99% of people don't pay for games and apps.

If there is a market for VR games and apps is in PC and consoles, where tech savvy players who buy high end devices are, who also are the ones who are used to pay for them.

I think the investment in the PC VR platforms will be too expensive considering the demanding PC HW specs that as of now are a tiny niche compared to PS4. Knowing the recent PS3 case, I'm pretty sure that PSVR will have an entry point of maximum $399.

If we add the expertise and success creating and selling portable devices and gaming devices and platforms of each platform, I'm pretty sure that PSVR is going to be the biggest VR market by far.

I can make up numbers too. It'll take awhile to get that high.

really? i can see the pc headsets selling over 6 million world-wide this year and sony selling 2 million for the ps4. this is of course assuming they all launch in the first half of the year and supply is not an issue over the holidays. however, i will not be shocked if sony waits until holiday 2016 to launch.

Guevara

Those numbers:

55.8M total VR users by year end

-16.9M already owned some device

38.9M "new" buy-in this year
27.1M of which Google Cardboard, etc.
2.5M Samsung Gear VR
6.6M Oculus, Vive, etc.
1.9M Sony VR
0.9M presumably "other"​

$5.1B/38.9M = $131 spent by each consumer, all in for hardware, software and accessories?

That doesn't even count the 16.9M folks with some kind of VR already. If you did, then $5.1B/$55.8M = $91 per consumer?

What am I missing?

And I'll be there. Already got the ideas, hoping to narrow them down and see if these ideas will work as an actual game. I'm skeptical on PS VR but I'm damn near ready to risk it all on oculus. I confident thay it will do relatively well and that those people will be fiending for games.

Mobile VR is going to be supported only by a few apps like 360 videos that are going to be very likely free, so as of now there won't be a market for mobile VR apps and games, specially when in mobile 99% of people don't pay for games and apps.

If there is a market for VR games and apps is in PC and consoles, where tech savvy players who buy high end devices are, who also are the ones who are used to pay for them.

I think the investment in the PC VR platforms will be too expensive considering the demanding PC HW specs that as of now are a tiny niche compared to PS4. Knowing the recent PS3 case, I'm pretty sure that PSVR will have an entry point of maximum $399.

If we add the expertise and success creating and selling portable devices and gaming devices and platforms of each platform, I'm pretty sure that PSVR is going to be the biggest VR market by far.

i agree with the bolded. there's already a ton of ps4's out there (capable of running the vr setup) and i'm sure sony is going to keep the price of their headset reasonable. i expect the pc headsets to do well too though. at the very least there will be a considerable amount of early adopters. how far it goes beyond that is anyone's guess.

viHuGi

Banned
Can't stop laughing at those estimates.

Pc VR above PS VR??

Hahahaha it's gonna be a beautiful year, i can't wait.

pastrami

Those numbers:

55.8M total VR users by year end

-16.9M already owned some device

38.9M "new" buy-in this year
27.1M of which Google Cardboard, etc.
2.5 Samsung Gear VR
6.6M Oculus, Vive, etc.
1.9M Sony VR
0.9M presumably "other"​

$5.1B/38.9M = $131 spent by each consumer, all in?

That doesn't even count the 16.9M folks with some kind of VR already. If you did, then $5.1B/$55.8M = $91 per consumer.

What am I missing?

Samsung Gear VR is $100, phone excluded (and I doubt they are counting it). Google Cardboard is like $30 max for a kit. That's roughly $1 billion. Leaves 4.1 billion for 9.4 million headsets (VIVE, Occulus, PSVR, other), and an average spending of $436 per user.

Still seems pretty low if they are considering software and accessories as well. I'm not expecting any of the sets to be cheap, especially when you add the controllers.

Noirulus

Maybe by late 2017. It'll take a bit for the consumers to warm up to it but when they do, it'll sell really well.

Top Bottom