• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERHOT VR update removes "self harm" - "Considering sensitive time we’re living in, we can do better than that. You deserve better."

Shmunter

It doesn't really make the game any worse though. I don't really agree with removing it, but it doesn't make me not want to play the game again.
Sure. At the end of the day tho It's just a mechanism to drive a point home more than anything. Hit em where it hurts etc.

Okamiden

The people who just had to be SO OFFENDED are dumb, the devs who fell for that pressure and removed the feature are dumb, and the people who then review bombed them for removing it are dumb. Just dumb people all around.

I personally found it to be a cool moment, as I'm able to separate fiction from reality. The toggle was fine.
If devs shut you up (locking thread with fans feedback), what else can they do to make their voices heard? Devs brought this on themselves. And thank god gamers have at least this kind of influence so devs would think next time if they should do stupid shit like that.

s-bojan

Banned
I don't like that they've removed those 2 scenes, but I don't mind it that much.
I am glad that I've experienced those parts.
This generation is fucked. Snowflake mindless pricks who can't take a joke. Censorship is starting to be very concerning.
This is something I will never get.
You are crying over 30 seconds of gameplay being removed...seems pretty snowflaky to me.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Yes we do. People get offended by everything all the time. Not all people, but oh boy, we are reaching levels of sensitivity I didn't even thought exist.

A small minority on twitter pretends to be sensitive so they can spread hate and try to take people down. But the vast majority of actual, real life, people aren't sensitive snowflakes. This game developer most likely is one of those twitter cunts himself, so it's just virtue signal nonsense.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
image0.png

cdb205cd291948eb70b9767bd8862066.jpg

s-bojan

Banned
To all the people downplaying this; remind yourselves that this is a slippery slope. And don't you all believe we can make up our own minds in regards to what content we want to experience? I sure as hell do.
We all do, but unfortunately, that is unrealistic and it will only get worse.
A song was removed from gta5 recently, so you will never experience it in the game. Yes, I understand that it is different as it is license related, but the result is the same.

There are still ways around it:
- if you have a physical copy you can play unpatched
- if you are using quest, you will probably be able to play the older version (people are doing that with Beat Saber for example)
- well, there is also piracy, if you are willing to go that route

Last edited:

nbkicker

Thats whats happening to all media nowadays be it tv shows, movies or gaming , every company is afraid of any backlass so changes there orgional ideas to keep the 10% that might complain but never buy the product happy but then upsetting the prople who will buy it due to the changes

LMJ

Kindly fuck off with this pussy footed response!

Still a fan of Superhot, but all this says to me is to avoid the updates less "feewings be huwrt" in the future

I also find it hilarious brutally murdering other "simulations" in SH is okay, but self harm is a no no

mister rogers middle finger GIF

I repeat kindly FUCK OFF!

ShadowNate

There are still ways around it:
- if you have a physical copy you can play unpatched
- if you are using quest, you will probably be able to play the older version (people are doing that with Beat Saber for example)
- well, there is also piracy, if you are willing to go that route
For Steam, wouldn't something like this Depot download tool be an option (maybe not so straightforward one though)?

This was also possible within the Steam client before, using the Console mode, but apparently, they stopped supporting it for previous builds of executables early in 2020.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
We all do, but unfortunately, that is unrealistic and it will only get worse.
A song was removed from gta5 recently, so you will never experience it in the game. Yes, I understand that it is different as it is license related, but the result is the same.

Hmm, I wasn't really talking about content getting removed indefinitely. That's a different discussion altogether. Although this technically is about removing content, the real issue is the reasoning/motives behind said removal.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
This is what happen when videogame companies think they should handle people mental illnesses.

Next step is utensils manufacturers to remove spikes from forks because people can hurt themselves.

Arcadialane

'Considering sensitive time we’re living in,'

Yup, so true. NOW is a sensitive time we are living in, there has definitely been no point in the past that was a sensitive time, history was pretty neutral until about 3 years ago. Revolutions, massive cultural shifts, suicide, war, depression, sensibilities swiftly changing, never came up in the past.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Love Superhot but will never buy a game from this dev again. Also, as a shill for an all digital future, I'm officially on suicide watch right now.

Bill Murray Film GIF
Yeah can only imagine any next game to have any sharp edges filed away into a safe space. They really just need to focus on family friendly Nintendo style of gaming going forward.

mcjmetroid

ughhhhhhhhhh why.

Developers are smarter people than me, 100% I could not program a videogame.
Why though do they do such stupid shit than even a dummy like me can see will blow up in their face?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah can only imagine any next game to have any sharp edges filed away into a safe space. They really just need to focus on family friendly Nintendo style of gaming going forward.

Lol. Funny enough Nintendo nowadays allows for violence, sexual, and strange content more than the other competitors. Fucking baffling that they, of all companies, are the ones promoting sanity in this day and age.

nbkicker

Cant wait to see the next gta when the trailer gets revealed then a similar

"Considering sensitive time we’re living in, we can do better than that. You deserve better."​

Gets posted from rockstar

dtremblay

It's their game, they can do whatever the hell they want with it. Good for them!

No one is missing out by having this removed. Surely this is impacting people more by being in the game, than out. It's also just a video game -- everyone needs to relax.

Shmunter

If this rolls to psvr, I hope the community there hammers Sony for refunds and cyberpunks these cucks.

The only thing that matters here is to make a stand against virtue signalling, nothing more.

Slippery slope infusing and conflating reality with escapism. While art imitates life imitates art….this is not it. It’s a restraining of art for no genuine reason, and art should have no limitations.

This was a pr stunt to appeal to sjw victimhood safe space mentality. And boy, did they miss the mark. Fuck em.

Amiga

Didn’t Persona do something very similar? P4 maybe? I kinda stopped playing them so I don’t remember. Where are all the triggered weebs rallying to that cause? Oh, right, no one gives a shit.

P3, it was the main theme of the game.

Are you an expert in Japanese culture?
Understand Captain America GIF

Man, a lot of snowflakes getting triggered by that.

Am too on the side, that the option was absolutely enough, but hey, this removal will not play into my playing the next to last level so often, that I can muscle memory the most part of it without really looking...

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Good on them. But they should have made it an optional toggle at the beginning of the game just like how you can toggle gore on and off in some games instead of removing it entirely.

Last edited:

Boglin

I don't like that they've removed those 2 scenes, but I don't mind it that much.
I am glad that I've experienced those parts.

This is something I will never get.
You are crying over 30 seconds of gameplay being removed...seems pretty snowflaky to me.
Considering people have already bought and paid for the game prior to the devs being born again, how much content needs to be removed before you consider it a legit complaint?

Fbh

Really weird decision to just remove it from everyone instead of simply making it optional.

I worry for the entertainment of the future. It's slowly going in a direction where you can't depict bad things even in the context of fiction

Razvedka

Banned
Erstwhile, our ancestors: https://www.historynet.com/facing-the-wrath-of-the-khan.htm

Urgench fell in April 1221. As usual, the artisans were sent to Mongolia and the young women and children enslaved. As punishment for resisting, the rest of the population was massacred. According to Juvaini, this task was assigned to 50,000 Mongol soldiers who were given the responsibility of executing 24 prisoners each. If this calculation is correct, the civilian death toll would have reached 1.2 million. Whether by coincidence or intent, the dike holding back the Amu-Darya River broke, and a large portion of the city was flooded, drowning many lucky enough to have survived the massacre.

Unfortunately for Merv, they were facing arguably the most bloodthirsty and vicious of Genghis Khan’s offspring. Tolui agreed to the terms to hasten the end of the siege, but went back on his word as soon as the city had been handed over. The entire population was herded into the plain outside the city walls. A small contingent of 400 artisans and some of the city’s younger children were marched away into slavery. The rest of the population was slaughtered.

Juvaini reported that every Mongol soldier “was allotted the execution of three or four hundred persons” and added, “So many had been killed by nightfall that the mountains became hillocks and the plain was soaked with the blood of the mighty.” A contemporary tally, conducted over a period of 13 days, arrived at a staggering figure of 1.3 million dead.

Bukhara, the “dome of Islam in the east,” was left a smoldering, desolate ruin. One account tells of Genghis Khan gathering the wealthier citizens together and delivering the following pronouncement from the pulpit of Bukhara’s main mosque: “I am the punishment of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”

It's bizarre how we can come from such a hardcore, horrible past, and in the span of just two generations devolve into complete weaklings. Our forefathers were tough men, regardless of where you live in the world. Since when did weakness become such a virtue?

Last edited:

Okamiden

Last edited:

s-bojan

Banned
Considering people have already bought and paid for the game prior to the devs being born again, how much content needs to be removed before you consider it a legit complaint?
For me personally, way more than this. I've also bought the game, btw.
Besides, it's an old game, whoever bought it probably beat it already (it's only around 2 hours long). I've replayed it again and those scenes are not as interesting the second time you play them.
Like I've said, I don't like that they did this, but it's their game. It is a bold move, as they don't get anything and loose a lot. People are review bombing the game on Steam and I am sure that those people will be back and do the same thing when their next game is released.

But I would really like to hear your opinion.
Do you think that developers should never remove content from their games after release, or they are allowed to if you think that the reason is valid?
Did you get as angry when ND removed the phone sex numbers from TLOU, when Capcom removed the R. Mika's butt slap or when Epic removed boob jiggle from Fortnite?

Last edited:
Erstwhile, our ancestors: https://www.historynet.com/facing-the-wrath-of-the-khan.htm

It's bizarre how we can come from such a hardcore, horrible past, and in the span of just two generations devolve into complete weaklings. Our forefathers were tough men, regardless of where you live in the world. Since when did weakness become such a virtue?
You can be a 'tough' person and not care one bit that a scene is removed from a videogame.

I always think in topics like this that the reaction against these sort of moves is more 'snowflake' than the actual move itself.

Who. Cares.

Yes it was a cool bit in super hot but the removal of it doesn't make me worried for the future 'toughness' of men.

That's just ridiculous.

Top Bottom