• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superior Devil May Cry 4 Official Thread (new VIDEO 4/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anime pic:

picture.jpg

TOTAL POO!!

:mad:

Seriously, couldn't they attempt to keep the artstyle of DMC rather than go down their own completely mismatched for the series style? Though I guess I can rest assured, since you can bet it's not going to actually look like that...

Also, trish looks like a man in drag... :(

Dahbomb

What are you talking about? :lol

Trish already looked like a tranny in DMC1, just pick up your DMC copy and look at the back. She looks like an ape-girl. Her design is a much bigger improvement in the anime and also Lady who actually looks like a girl and not a tomboy mess she was in DMC3 (though her CG render was HOT and they took that design for the anime).

J2 Cool

I think the anime could be cool if they find a way to develop Dante and weave a solid arc throughout. Find some contrast to the action and explore Dante more than the games do. I just can't see myself watching it though if it's one-liners and action. Also, they really explore some of the enemies and demons compared to the game. Make them a more dynamic threat, in their being and in the way they fight.

AAK

I always liked this artwork of Trish, they should have kept this:

Dante_Trish_3.jpg

They just screwed up the jawbone and neck with the Anime Trish. They made Mary pretty spot on though.

toypop

It's preview, only 1 episode is allowed for streaming.
Full series(12 episodes) will be aired on wowow(satellite) exclusively, yea scheduled for June 14th.

Are those anime streams not working for anyone else? The streaming link opens WMP and asks if it's ok to dl the licenese, but doesn't find it. The 1M and 500K links open new windows, but doesn't seem to do anything.

edit...nvm...thanks for the link if that's what I think it is ^^^^

Dizzan

MINI Member
New DMC preview up at IGN AU

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/794/794146p1.html

I really wasn't looking forward to ANOTHER DMC but this paragraph may have converted me

One of the most jaw dropping scenes, however, came towards the end of our playtime. Nero was trudging through a snowstorm (which, funnily enough, made his running animation look much more appropriate), moving along a narrow mountain ledge. As we rounded a corner, the almost claustrophobic embrace of the snow simply fell away as the countless spires of a sprawling gothic castle pierced the night sky in the distance. The scene was set so perfectly - clouds swept along behind the fortress, and the moon hung low and massive in the sky just overhead. Gorgeous. So, nicely done, Capcom. (Although proper real-time lighting wouldn't go astray).

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
gbovo said:
No. The move is called "Driver" and it was in DMC3.

By watching that video it seems new to me, because the "Driver" was only one swing. And what I see in that video is mulitple swings.

Dahbomb

Drive (not Driver) has been altered radically in DMC4.

It used to suck in DMC3, now it's an insanely good move. It's also changed so that its a Swordmaster only move mapped to "Hold O" instead of "Hold /\" which is now reserved for the universal move Roundtrip.

It comes in 3 waves, just like Vergil's Judgement Cut and does much more damage than before (as its effects are seen on Belial). It seems much more accurate than before as well.

Dahbomb said:
Drive (not Driver) has been altered radically in DMC4.

It used to suck in DMC3, now it's an insanely good move. It's also changed so that its a Swordmaster only move mapped to "Hold O" instead of "Hold /\" which is now reserved for the universal move Roundtrip.

It comes in 3 waves, just like Vergil's Judgement Cut and does much more damage than before (as its effects are seen on Belial). It seems much more accurate than before as well.
Awesome, that sounds a hell of a lot more useful. Better than Judgement Cut even since it goes out in a wave rather than targeting a particular spot, so it'll be harder to miss with it.

Also, did Dante have Round Trip in DMC3? I don't think so (pretty sure it was just Vergil), and that's pretty cool.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
badcrumble said:
Awesome, that sounds a hell of a lot more useful. Better than Judgement Cut even since it goes out in a wave rather than targeting a particular spot, so it'll be harder to miss with it.

Also, did Dante have Round Trip in DMC3? I don't think so (pretty sure it was just Vergil), and that's pretty cool.

He had it too. It was a swordmaster move, IIRC.

Only got to watch the begining and speed through rest of it <sigh>, but it's basically Black Cat remixed with DMC1/2 Dante... quiet, doesn't say a whole lot, overtly stoic, etc... seems sorta well done except for that cop-out near the end to get the episode in budget... not as bad as I thought, but pretty poor intro to the Dante we all know and love. Oh, it seems it's also in 1080p. :O :O :O

Dahbomb

ToyMachine228 said:
I remember there was a rumor DMC4 was being delayed. Was it true? I'm sick and too lazy to look it up today.
Supposedly delayed until early 2008 to get the 360 version up to speed. Apparently the 360 version just got started being worked on. There was an interview on IGN about this.

Again, this is just a rumor since Capcom has not officially stated this. It's still a late 2007 title and bound for 360/PS3 at the same time with a PC version out later.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, so there's a few gameplay things I noticed which I thought C- Warrior might find interesting and other DMC fans.

1. You can't instant attack cancel->roll. It's been a while since I've played DMC3 so I can't remember if this was the same, but I thought in DMC and NG you could instantly cancel out of anything into a dodge. That way you could just rail on bosses/enemies and then dodge at the last second. But in DMC4, at least when doing the 4 hit triangle slashes once the animation starts for a hit you are committed. I learned this on the Bezail (sp?) fight where I'd run up and do slash x 4 and he'd attack during the 4th hit animation window and I couldn't roll out and cancel the 4th hit, so I had to be more careful and only go for 3 hits and then roll out.

2. You can't rev the sword while doing ANYTHING. You can charge your gun shot (hold square) while slashing (so...impossible thumb style, but if you play with fingers you can do this), but you can't rev your sword during gun shots, which seems a bit lame. So really, the only time you would be revving your sword from my experience is when you are in defense mode dodging enemy attacks and getting revs in between dodges. The added damage didn't seem worth it to just waste 5+ seconds revving when you could be up front attacking getting 5 seconds extra worth of slashes in.

3. Not really a big thing and probably mentioned before but after a few seconds of moving in a direction Nero suddenly goes to run mode. It's sorta weird and I don't like things that happen without user input, but I guess it'll make backtracking somewhat faster.

4. Also for those who thought the ice dudes looked too easy because you can just throw them, throwing them isn't that easy. I missed a tooon of throws because they'd dodge out of the way and then that just leaves you open.

Dahbomb

Bebpo said:
Ok, so there's a few gameplay things I noticed which I thought C- Warrior might find interesting and other DMC fans.

1. You can't instant attack cancel->roll. It's been a while since I've played DMC3 so I can't remember if this was the same, but I thought in DMC and NG you could instantly cancel out of anything into a dodge. That way you could just rail on bosses/enemies and then dodge at the last second. But in DMC4, at least when doing the 4 hit triangle slashes once the animation starts for a hit you are committed. I learned this on the Bezail (sp?) fight where I'd run up and do slash x 4 and he'd attack during the 4th hit animation window and I couldn't roll out and cancel the 4th hit, so I had to be more careful and only go for 3 hits and then roll out.

2. You can't rev the sword while doing ANYTHING. You can charge your gun shot (hold square) while slashing (so...impossible thumb style, but if you play with fingers you can do this), but you can't rev your sword during gun shots, which seems a bit lame. So really, the only time you would be revving your sword from my experience is when you are in defense mode dodging enemy attacks and getting revs in between dodges. The added damage didn't seem worth it to just waste 5+ seconds revving when you could be up front attacking getting 5 seconds extra worth of slashes in.

3. Not really a big thing and probably mentioned before but after a few seconds of moving in a direction Nero suddenly goes to run mode. It's sorta weird and I don't like things that happen without user input, but I guess it'll make backtracking somewhat faster.

4. Also for those who thought the ice dudes looked too easy because you can just throw them, throwing them isn't that easy. I missed a tooon of throws because they'd dodge out of the way and then that just leaves you open.
Aside from point#4, most of the stuff has been known already. There is a trick to use the 'rev the sword' technique (Exceed), which is basically just tapping it right before doing a combo. It's really useful for reving up the special moves, not the regular slashes. They demonstrate this with more effeciency in the videos.

#1 is true for all DMC games, you can't cancel out of the LAST slash of a combo. You can always cancel out of the first 2 or 3 slashes with a roll. It's the same thing with NG as well. It's just most obvious in DMC4 because the last slash of Nero is really slow.

But thanks for the input and it's good to know the Frosts can actually dodge the throws.

Defuser

Bebpo said:
You're talking about that horizontal rev move only right?

Bebpo said:
I'm talking about the L2 buttons that heats up your sword so it does more damage.

I think most advanced players see it not as a system that increases attack power, but as another modifier (like R1 is).

For example if you merely just tap L2, you can input the 'stinger' like move R1+Foward+/\, but instead of doing that move, you do the one where he spins around several times where lunging foward. Or instead of the regular hightime, he does the double-hightime etc. As far as I know, you can quickly buffer that in relatively quickly, just a matter of pressing it and not so much charging it.

As for not canceling out of the attack, it's the same way as it is in all DMC games (except for two). He can interrupt and evade-cancel out of any animation that is post 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strikes. But if you commit to the final slash (which has the strongest and knock-back property) you MUST commit to the animation. It's one of those risk / reward type of things.

Most veterans will buffer in a special move instead that (like hightime-long) that quickly takes them to the air so they are safe from enemy attack down below.

Thanks for the impressions. Can't wait for the demo.

PS: How was the Berial boss fight? And from what could tell, does the demo seem XBL worthy? Like, not too long, not too short. Nice, compete package etc.

Dahbomb

C-Warrior is right, most people are just going to use the Exceed system as powering up the special moves (like L2 + R1+Back+Triangle). That's pretty much how the Capcom player uses this system.

Speaking of DMC4, does anyone have the new DMC4 Celebration Theme from the XBL Marketplace? It's 150 points and I'm thinking about getting it. I have 200 points with nothing to do with at the moment. Anyone have it? Or have any pics of it?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ToyMachine228 said:
Speaking of DMC4, does anyone have the new DMC4 Celebration Theme from the XBL Marketplace? It's 150 points and I'm thinking about getting it. I have 200 points with nothing to do with at the moment. Anyone have it? Or have any pics of it?

you are paying money for pictures online? i wish i had money like that to burn.

I was able to charge the blade during mid combo. I actually did it by accident and it took a while to figure out how I did it. It takes some hard timing, but it can be done. For instance, you can do a 2 hit sword combo and if you pull L2 at just the right time after hitting the sword button the 2nd time, the third hit will be charged 1 bar (out of the 3 charges you can store). So you can follow the 2nd hit with the double high time or the double "stinger". You can probably do this after every hit in the combo if you're skilled enough.

Dahbomb

chun li's thighs said:
I was able to charge the blade during mid combo. I actually did it by accident and it took a while to figure out how I did it. It takes some hard timing, but it can be done. For instance, you can do a 2 hit sword combo and if you pull L2 at just the right time after hitting the sword button the 2nd time, the third hit will be charged 1 bar (out of the 3 charges you can store). So you can follow the 2nd hit with the double high time or the double "stinger". You can probably do this after every hit in the combo if you're skilled enough.
I KNEW it was something like that. Because the way that the guy's at Capcom were doing it, they were doing one whole bar worth of special moves with Exceed without EVER having to charge it up by standing. It really is a skill set and like 1up said, it's like a rhythm of slashing and then charging up your sword + unleashing all in one smooth combo.

This is the next step in DMC as far as advancing purely timing based combos go. From the looks if it, it's not really that hard but just knowing that my timing is awarded by more powerful moves is a good feeling of satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom