• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supreme Court bans Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russia's Supreme Court has banned the Jehovah's Witnesses from operating in the country, accepting a request from the justice ministry that the religious organization be considered an extremist group.

The court ordered the closure of the group's Russia headquarters and its 395 local chapters, as well as the seizure of its property.

The Interfax news agency on Thursday quoted Justice Ministry attorney Svetlana Borisova in court as saying that the Jehovah's Witnesses "pose a threat to the rights of the citizens, public order and public security."

The Jehovah's Witnesses claim more than 170,000 adherents in Russia. The group has come under increasing pressure over the past year, including a ban on distributing literature deemed to violate Russia's anti-extremism laws.

by TaboolaMore From AP
https://apnews.com/c428449c8ef1448d...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

sangreal

Russia's anti-extremism laws.

:lol

Russian government is made up of Russian Orthodox extremists

The Jehovah's Witnesses claim more than 170,000 adherents in Russia

What's supposed to happen to the rest of Jehovah's Witnesses after god takes his pick of 144k during the rapture?

Nabbis

I suppose this was done because the Orthodox church got pissed off and someone in the government wanted more property. I really doubt there were any real security concerns over this.

The Interfax news agency on Thursday quoted Justice Ministry attorney Svetlana Borisova in court as saying that the Jehovah's Witnesses "pose a threat to the rights of the citizens, public order and public security."
Really? These are the people to go after?

azyless

Regardless of what I think about Jehovah's witnesses it's pretty insane that the country murdering gay people views "distributing literature" as too extreme.

Arkeband

Banned
Won't be long before this begins extending to other sects.

The last thread on this drew out a handful of examples of actual serious extreme behavior, even if that extremism isn't outwardly violent. While it's hypocritical for Russia to judge them when human rights abuses are rampant in their government, being less bad than another bad entity doesn't absolve badness.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It just occurred to me I haven't had one of them knock on my door in over 20 years. Truly I am blessed.

Let me guess, because you're the one who Knocks?

My cousin was quite verbally abusive towards them as soon as they set foot within his boundary. Me, I like to play along a bit, maybe have some Slayer or Pantera playing on the stereo in the background but loud enough for them to hear it clearly when standing at the front door. Or answer the door wearing a colindar on my head and asking if they are here to talk about our Lord and Savior "The Flying Spaghetti Monster".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

I am no fan of Jehovah Witnesses because of their extreme religious beliefs, but I am also not a fan of demonizing them and taking away their rights as people. I think it's kinda ironic they are mentioning extremism as an excuse to ban them, but they don't realize what they are doing themselves is also extreme. But that's Russia for you.

Amikami

Banned
Don't know how Russia works, but barring someone based on their religion is shitty. Unless there's something about Johova witnesses I don't know. I mean, they just come up to the door and when I say I'm not interested they move on.

Isn't this a great way to push groups towards actual extremism? I'm not saying this will happen in this case as I I've come to understand witnesses are vehemently against conflict. Curious to see how they will react.

Isn't this a great way to push groups towards actual extremism? I'm not saying this will happen in this case as I I've come to understand witnesses are vehemently against conflict. Curious to see how they will react.

React? If they're smart they'll run. This is the first step before being rounded up and shot.

If they weren't being painstakingly clear before, Russia is not a democracy.

Fugu

I have some cousins by marriage that are Jehovah's Witnesses. There are certain negative adjectives that I could use to describe them, but "extreme" is not one of them.

Sounds a bit extreme but I'm not sure if they differ in Russia. I know of a few through school from Junior to high school. They were just ordinary kids who sat out of assembly in junior school, we all got along and the parents seemed normal every day people, just with a different look on Christianity

Beartruck

I have some cousins by marriage that are Jehovah's Witnesses. There are certain negative adjectives that I could use to describe them, but "extreme" is not one of them.
Pretty much. The only thing extreme about most witnesses ive met is their commitment to a boring safe whitebread existence.

KZObsessed

Oh great. Now my father will be phoning me preaching about armageddon again. Thanks Putin.

On a more serious note this is a fairly disgusting act, but that's Russia for you.

React? If they're smart they'll run. This is the first step before being rounded up and shot.

If they weren't being painstakingly clear before, Russia is not a democracy.

I agree with you, but not all 170k+ are going to run, no matter the consequences. I'm wondering if some will protest or resist in any way although it's against their religion to engage in anything political. I just can't imagine all of them just sitting there and taking it.

Linkup

Anyone care to explain the parts that are said to be extreme?

I feel like I'm missing out on something here.

Arkeband

Banned
Anyone care to explain the parts that are said to be extreme?

I feel like I'm missing out on something here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1358072

It alternates between JW GAFfers saying nothing is wrong, to ex-JW GAFfers providing anecdotes of child molestation (and "keeping it within the church"), disfellowshipping (excommunication), letting children die to the no-blood infusions rule, and generally other psychologically abusive cult behavior.

What Russia finds to be extreme, however, might not even be concerned with any of this, it might just be that they're not the right kind of Christian.

Linkup

Sounds like total BS either way, but thanks for the clarifications.

Honestly I expected to come back here and see a raging discussion, this stuff feels like pre WW2 crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom