• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
There will be multiple configurations for the Tab, including a cheaper one with a Pentium CPU.

Cool. Not sure about that stand, however I don't forsee myself doing a ton of typing on my lap though.

My RT arrives next week. Look forward to playing with it. Don't think I will install the 8.1 preview though. I will wait for October.

I wonder if surface 2 is launching alongside W8.1? No need for Ms to delay it this time, right?

They could even pull off an Apple and announce with price and launch really close.

Surface Pro 2 Day 1.

O RLY

VAIO_Tap_11_1-580-90.jpg

Can't even pretend to use this on your lap.

LOL, that's terrible XD

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Blurgh, I'm so torn on this. I was waiting for Pro 2 forever, but now I'm sorta attached to the idea of a haswell laptop instead. I need something for work, something that can run a lot of stuff at once, do some significant photoshop/illustrator stuff, and play team fortress 2 during lunch with no problem. The 4GB RAM on the pro kind of sent me looking elsewhere, but with that also being in this upgrade, now I'm thinking again. I didn't like the lack of flexability in the screen either, but now that's also been tweaked. Still useless in an actual lap though.

BLEH!!!! I don't know what I want!!!

Blurgh, I'm so torn on this. I was waiting for Pro 2 forever, but now I'm sorta attached to the idea of a haswell laptop instead. I need something for work, something that can run a lot of stuff at once, do some significant photoshop/illustrator stuff, and play team fortress 2 during lunch with no problem. The 4GB RAM on the pro kind of sent me looking elsewhere, but with that also being in this upgrade, now I'm thinking again. I didn't like the lack of flexability in the screen either, but now that's also been tweaked. Still useless in an actual lap though.

I don't use illustrator and photoshop, but the surface pro manages to take 3 instances of Visual Studio and the unity Editor just fine. And also is more than capable of playing team fortress 2.

Particularly, I don't have any trouble using it on my lap, but granted, when I do that I'm mostly either watching something and doing some minor texting, browsing, so I use mostly the touch screen... Using the cover, specially the touch one is kinda of a pain if you are not perfectly positioned...

Also, the rumor says Surf 2 might get 8GB of ram. That would put it on can run almost anything at once category :p

eastmen

Banned

Pro 2 will have an 8gig option.

I hav3 the pro. Will wait for broadwell that 12nm drop will give hige gains in batter life and performance amd even the ulv parts should have the 128meg cache

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

ElNino

Nice. If and when I get a Pro it will be my only PC, so this would be great.
While I'm sure the Surface Dock will be nice, this is what I'm using with my Pro. Plugable UD-3000

I haven't turned on my desktop in months now and I'm using the Surface Pro as my only PC. All I do when I use the Pro at my desk is plug in to the USB 3.0 dock and I get:
- 2 USB 3.0 ports
- 4 USB 2.0 ports (to which I have my Logitech wireless receiver connected for my keyboard and mouse)
- Video connection to external monitor
- Gigabit ethernet
- Audio out and mic in

EDIT: The one thing I think the Surface Dock will probably have over a USB one is that it will probably be able to charge the Surface. With the USB dock I obviously need to plug the power adapter in as well when I need to charge.

Raven77

Okay i'm wondering if I can get some help here. I recently tried re-running the 4 point "pen" calibration in the control panel on my Surface PRO and now I can't move the pen cursor all the way to the top of the screen. It just stops about 1/4th inch away from the top and the top left corner and wont move any further.

Its also really really off on the pointer location. I've tried re-installing the Wacom Feel drivers from their site, no luck. I've also tried re-running another calibration but I can't move the pen cursor into the upper left corner to click the first calibration dot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Okay i'm wondering if I can get some help here. I recently tried re-running the 4 point "pen" calibration in the control panel on my Surface PRO and now I can't move the pen cursor all the way to the top of the screen. It just stops about 1/4th inch away from the top and the top left corner and wont move any further.

Its also really really off on the pointer location. I've tried re-installing the Wacom Feel drivers from their site, no luck. I've also tried re-running another calibration but I can't move the pen cursor into the upper left corner to click the first calibration dot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

did u try the older version of wacom driver?
happens to me sometimes, but just a quick restart fixes it

Izuna

Banned
Having used the Surface Pro for a while now I can say a few things:

1. I never run out of battery life since I'm never using it long enough without coming in contact with a mains.

2. I only really play Spartan Assault, despite owning a bunch of awesome games and own a Razer Orochi.

3. Razer Orochi is the best mouse I have ever used especially since its performance in wireless mode is enough to play Quake 2.

4. HD4000 drivers are horrible, MS update breaks OpenGL, and even after beating Windows Update certain games like The Club or AvP have issues such as running too fast or scaling issues respectively.

5. 256GB is necessary even though almost all of my media is on my old laptop as a network drive. 256GB is also just enough.

6. I keep the Type Cover connected as I've gotten used to feeling the keys when it is on the back. I never use my Touch Cover now.

7. I never use the Pen, it is easy to lose so I put it in my bag. I probably would use it occasionally but because it is in my bag I forget about it. For drawing it is awesome however.

8. Surface Pro 2 details don't interest me as I would only benefit from the Haswell chip playing games better. Since I'm not too into playing current gen Games on the Surface I'm not really bothered. Battery life isn't important to me, and RAM increase is useless to me.

9. I use the HDMI cable very often. It is much better to plug it into the Surface then a because the Surface can be laid flat and it is great for controlling on a big screen. This work very well.

10. Halo 2 with a wireless Xbox 360 controller is pretty darn awesome. If I find myself on a plane to Japan I'll try to beat that game. If of course I have a mains...

And finally, the USB port on the charger charges my Vita, which is pretty cool.

hwalker84

Any digital artists in here? I've been seeing people championing Surface Pro (Gen 1) + Manga Studio as an excellent budget solution for those wanting a portable tablet PC. Keeping in mind that I'm on a budget, do you think it'd be better to wait for Gen 2?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Any digital artists in here? I've been seeing people championing Surface Pro (Gen 1) + Manga Studio as an excellent budget solution for those wanting a portable tablet PC. Keeping in mind that I'm on a budget, do you think it'd be better to wait for Gen 2?

Curious to see the prices. I would mainly use the Pro for some light photoshop work as well as office. So if Surface Pro 1 gets a nice discount I may go that route.

Zeknurn

I can't wait to see some Panos Panay action. He will hopefully have some cool new stuff to show and not just spec bumps.

Yep. Really hope so as well.

Any chance of the Pro 2 being a bit thinner/easier to carry around? (in tablet form)

The rumours have been indicating that the chassi will be the same.

eastmen

Banned
I can't wait to see some Panos Panay action. He will hopefully have some cool new stuff to show and not just spec bumps.

The rumours have been indicating that the chassi will be the same.

from what I've found its going to be the same weight with same battery size.

The thing is haswell isn't that much better than ivybridge.

Broadwell should be a major upgrade. I bet even the ulv will have the 128 meg cache and since its down to 14nm or so it should be much more power efficient.

The power cover for the surface pro will tide me over till then.

MCD

This is a noob question regarding docking stations:

The rumored Surface Docking Station has a mini display port output.

Question is, can I use said port along with the video port in the Surface? Or will this docking station eliminate all of the Surface's ports?

Anony

one of the first things i see surface pro 2 cutting is the wacom pen to save money
i know that the pen is what makes it unique amongst all the other tablets, but realistically, 99% of the complaints boils down to the price point, if m$ can cut a big portion of the price without the pen, i see them going that direction

eastmen

Banned
one of the first things i see surface pro 2 cutting is the wacom pen to save money
i know that the pen is what makes it unique amongst all the other tablets, but realistically, 99% of the complaints boils down to the price point, if m$ can cut a big portion of the price without the pen, i see them going that direction

why. The surface pro competes with the air. Its as thing and light .

Also the cost of the digitlizer wont be as much as you think . Mabye $50 at the high end

hwalker84

I can see why they're probably using Nvidia again. Hopefully the Tegra 4 shines in Surface 2. It would seem Snapdragon 800 would be a better choice but who knows. I hope Nokia's tablet is competition. Disappointed the battery life went backwards on Surface 2. I'm expecting over 12+ hours on Snapdragon 800.

venne

If Microsoft doesn't include a stylus, they blew it.

All I want is a damn 8" tab with a pen. I can't believe the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 is the only one so far.

Months ago there was a Lenovo Miix 8 mentioned that was supposed to be just that (but with Bay Trail).

Hopefully it still is coming out, everything went dark after it was shown during some presser.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Months ago there was a Lenovo Miix 8 mentioned that was supposed to be just that (but with Bay Trail).

Hopefully it still is coming out, everything went dark after it was shown during some presser.
Tom Warren said on Twitter that Lenovo's 8 inch Windows tablet was delayed. Probably won't hit this holiday.

Got my Surface today and logged in with my Microsoft account.

Weird thing though is that somehow my Microsoft account was linked with my brother's Skype account. We managed to separate them on the Skype page but the problem is that it's still my brother's account in the People app. Can someone help me out?

edit: false alarm, an update fixed it :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got my refurbished RT. So far I really like it. What's a good app to play DVDs and watch videos?

edit: or do I have to rip my DVD's even though I have an external drive? Thought I would ask.

Thrakier

Is there any way to use the RT as a Windows 7 monitor extension? I got the VGA adapter though so far only thing which is working is showing the RTs picture on my monitor, not the other way around.

Top Bottom