• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surprise! ME4 will have online, Bioware looking for online producer

TheUsual

Gold Member
I never even played a single minute of ME multiplayer and don't have any urge to do so. I dunno, but I play the games for the single player.

Multiplayer saved ME3 for me. It was tough, but if you had a team that worked together, it was extremely rewarding.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How far off is this game if they're still looking for a producer for the multiplayer segment?

Honestly, I don't think multiplayer is going to take as long to build as the single player mode. I could see them taking less than a year on making and polishing the multiplayer component. They don't have to worry about a story or voice acting(except regular grunts that they will probably borrow from the campaign) or cutscenes or facial animations, etc.

Just create a bunch of maps and classes, make the sure the online is stable and the glitches kept at a minimum(god knows ME3 MP was filled with glitches at launch and still had many of them when i stopped playing one year later)... and there you go.

So we can expect the single player missions to be "defend the base" against bots again like Mass Effect 3. I wonder if they will also intentionally gimp the single player game to try and force people to play Multiplayer like they did with ME 3 and eventually admitted they did as much nearly a year later.

It was surprisingly fun, despite the excessive grind if you were unlucky with class and weapon drops.
How's DA:I multiplayer? Is it as good? Populated on PS4? Post-launch support?

Honestly, I don't think multiplayer is going to take as long to build as the single player mode. I could see them taking less than a year on making and polishing the multiplayer component. They don't have to worry about a story or voice acting(except regular grunts that they will probably borrow from the campaign) or cutscenes or facial animations, etc.

Just create a bunch of maps and classes and make the sure the online is stable... and there you go.

And I presume Frostbite has a lot of the netcode they need given its Battlefield pedigree.

Fine by me as long as it has nothing to do with the single-player.

Spoiler: It's gonna have all sorts of hooks into single-player.

It was surprisingly fun, despite the excessive grind if you were unlucky with class and weapon drops.
How's DA:I multiplayer? Is it as good? Populated on PS4? Post-launch support?

I've put around 100 hrs into it. It's pretty good now - particularly since they fixed several major bugs last week. It doesn't have a ton of depth but it's good fun - especially if you play with people you know.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So we can expect the single player missions to be "defend the base" against bots again like Mass Effect 3. I wonder if they will also intentionally gimp the single player game to try and force people to play Multiplayer like they did with ME 3 and eventually admitted they did as much nearly a year later.

Hello mr. Negativity! And If by "gimp", you mean the secret cutscene at the end of the game if you picked a specific ending... wow, that's some major gimp!

Read title as "Surprise! ME4 will BE online, Bioware looking for online producer Reply to Thread"

was gonna have a shit fit lol.

Hello mr. Negativity! And If by "gimp", you mean the secret cutscene at the end of the game if you picked a specific ending... wow, that's some major gimp!
You mean the secret cutscene you could unlock by getting all the fetch quest items/save editing all the war asset values?

Ramenman

Hope they try something funky and new with their multiplayer. I don't really care about a "classic" waves mode, deathmatch or whatever.

How far off is this game if they're still looking for a producer for the multiplayer segment?

This is the kind of question that no one ever can answer, unless they're actually working on the game at the moment and are (or have asked people who are) related to the topic.

"we're now looking for an online producer" doesn't mean that before there was no online being thought of or made or developped or tested.

Could be that it was split before several producers with no real ownership but the project got bigger in other areas, and thus redistribution of topics between producers needs to happen, and in doing so having a producer dedicated to online now makes sense.

Could be that they're recently doubling up on the production importance/urgency on (and thus on staff and tasks associated to) online and thus require an additional producer for online topics, in addition to maybe other producers they already have on online since the beginning of the dev.

Could be that one of the producer is leaving the studio or project for god knows what personal reason, and they need to replace him.

Could be absolutely anything else.

Really, the fact that they're looking for an online producer doesn't tell us anything about the state of the game, or the state of the online part of the game, and anyone saying otherwise is bullshiting :D

They could be anywhere from starting conception on what online will be to already having a working prototype for the past 6 months.

I've put around 100 hrs into it. It's pretty good now - particularly since they fixed several major bugs last week. It doesn't have a ton of depth but it's good fun - especially if you play with people you know.
Thanks! That sounds like the right time to jump in =]
I don't know anyone who plays it, but I might visit the OT in search of friends for it!

It doesn't matter how much you consider it minor. What matters is we were told repeatedly that Multiplayer WOULD NOT impact on singleplayer in Mass Effect 3. Yet what happened ? oh yeah we got a crap load of N7 missions that were little more than MP with bots and excluded from an ending unless you played multiplayer. So yeah singleplayer was gimped in several ways thanks to multiplayer.

As much as I really didn't like ME 3, I played more of it's multiplayer online than I have any game outside of fighters.

Still not sure I can be brought to care about ME 4 yet though, especially after DA I.

Cat Party

I don't even want to know how much time I spent on ME3's MP. It was a lot of fun. I would like to see the mode expanded to include more variety, though.

It doesn't matter how much you consider it minor. What matters is we were told repeatedly that Multiplayer WOULD NOT impact on singleplayer in Mass Effect 3. Yet what happened ? oh yeah we got a crap load of N7 missions that were little more than MP with bots and excluded from an ending unless you played multiplayer. So yeah singleplayer was gimped in several ways thanks to multiplayer.

Agreed. The single player was significantly worse because most of their attention and resources was on the multiplayer part.

Vyrance

That's fine as long as they keep it separate from the campaign. Being forced to play multiplayer to get a certain ending in the single player in the first months of ME3 was shitty.

ME3 multiplayer was addictive fun that played to the title's single biggest strength, the tighter gunplay/cover mechanics with a mild dose of customisation thrown in. It definitely saved the title for me.

Having said that, Dragon Age Inquisition's multiplayer is pretty lackluster in comparison so maybe BioWare just got lucky on their first try.

My concern is that they try to cram too many features in there (especially with the Mako being integral to single player) and lose the focused gameplay and short, accessible matches of ME3. And forcibly tying multiplayer and singleplayer together is a plague on gaming that needs to go.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Probably some F2P coop online mode with microtransactions. Just keep it away from the singleplayer mode, and I might forgive.

What?, I completed me3 with best ending without a second spent in MP

Bessy67

What's to say that there would have been something better than the N7 missions if they didn't do the MP? I'm willing to bet that we might have just gotten a couple more "overhear a conversation, scan a planet" sidequests instead.

Top Bottom