• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surprise! Rachel Dolezal doesn't care about Black people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving the Superman stuff but can we please stop giving Dolezal the oxygen of publicity?

She's either a very canny individual knowing that controversy makes her money or severely mentally ill both options are pretty unpalatable.

Normally I wouldn't - but I do think sitting her down with someone like Ijeoma Oluo was a unique angle, which she promptly Dolezaled the shit out of.

L Thammy

My understanding of this woman's life:

- She learns about these fictional creatures in National Geographic that look just like people, but are black
- She decides at a young age to become a black otherkin
- She discovers that black people actually exist, and are disappointed that they aren't like the National Geographic ones
- She decides to spend her life teaching black people how to be the real black people from her fantasy world

Am I wrong?

Kreed

She informs me multiple times that black people have rejected her because they simply haven't learned yet that race is a social construct created by white supremacists, they simply don't know any better and don't want to: ”I've done my research, I think a lot of people though haven't probably read those books and maybe never will."

This social construct conversation must have been "very interesting" back when she was pretending to be Black as the leader of the NAACP, getting full scholarships at Howard by pretending to be Black, preventing Tim Wise from speaking to Black students because "as a White man he was unqualified to speak on Black issues" when she was a teacher, and blasting Black celebrities for having non Black wives.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This social construct conversation must have been "very interesting" back when she was pretending to be Black as the leader of the NAACP, getting full scholarships at Howard by pretending to be Black, preventing Tim Wise from speaking to Black students because "as a White man he was unqualified to speak on Black issues" when she was a teacher, and blasting Black celebrities for having non Black wives.

Must have felt great hijacking an actual struggle without having to struggle herself.

Hoe? How is this ok?

image.php

Maaan I call everyone hoe..calm down.

Slayven

The only reason, THE ONLY REASON she was and still a thing is this is about as close to understanding blackness for a lot of white people as they want to get.

Tryna get me banned for some shit I call Slayven daily..SMDH

I don't what you talking about, do we know each other?

RRockman

Banned
This is the first I've heard of this woman.

Why do people continue to give nuts like this the time of day?

I am disapoint.

Cause this nut was in a position of power over other people and taught students her fucked up world view.

Yeah, it's not like she was some random ass person just stirring up shit. Though now it can be argued that she is, absent the book. While I get that publishing houses are in a race to the bottom if there's a dollar down there, I'm still disappointed as hell anyone would give her a book deal, though.

L Thammy

Cause this nut was in a position of power over other people and taught students her fucked up world view.

Also her adopted family, apparently.

Rachel Dolezal claimed her black adopted brother, Izaiah, as her son after she became estranged from her parents, Ruthanne and Larry Dolezal. She obtained legal custody of the 21-year-old in 2011, amid an apparent split from her family.

Ezra Dolezal said his sister had brainwashed Izaiah into hating white people. He told the Washington Post: “She turned Izaiah kind of racist. Told Izaiah all this stuff about white people, made him really racist toward white people.”

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
"Can an alien spaceship just stop by and take this woman away? I just want her to go away forever. Like a deserted island only for her dumbass to live on with no TV, internet, phone or anything. And destroy the boat."

I dunno. Do we really want this woman to annoy the shit out of a far more advanced alien species by claiming she's more Cf'lxonian than they are and prompting them to vaporize our planet as revenge?

Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. They'd drop her off and then wipe the planet out.

Full article is up. Updated the OP.

It's a lot more interested than I thought. Ijeoma Oluo's a really good pick for this interview.

I am beginning to wonder if it is blackness that Dolezal doesn't understand, but whiteness. Because growing up poor, on a family farm in Idaho, being homeschooled by fundamentalist Christian parents sounds whiter than this "silver spoon" whiteness she claims to be rejecting.

Throughout our conversation, I get the increasing impression that, for someone who claims to love blackness, Rachel Dolezal has little more than contempt for many black people and their own black identities.

Guys, I'm not trying to be all like "read the linked article," but also that's kind of the focus of the linked interview - if you tweet it, it comes up as "the last thing you need to read about Rachel Dolezal" or something similar.

But I mean, if you don't want to read it, don't read it. I find Ijeoma's interview and her writing fascinating. Maybe you don't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

People really need to just stop giving this woman the time of day.

There's a difference between the media giving her attention on her book like she's just a regular person and an outspoken Black writer and activist conducting a thorough interview.

Can we just make this thread about bonkers Superman stories and ignore that cretinous woman?

That black Louis story is bananas. Anything else that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom