• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish model gets rape threats after ad shows her unshaved legs

GhaleonEB

I've been lobbying my wife for 18 years to stop shaving her armpits and legs, to no avail. It's so socially ingrained, and utterly arbitrary.

Awful that a the slightest bit of non-conformity results in the kind of abuse the model is getting, but I hope she sees it through without harm.

I dated/married a roller derby player and I eventually got used to her not shaving her legs. It really didn't matter as much as society says it does. She always shaved under her arms though, but that was her own preference. She hated the way her under arms felt unless they were smooth. I'm okay with that, to each their own, and my preferences shouldn't weigh heavily at all.

My current girlfriend shaves her legs before I come hang out, but she's really into cuddling and she likes the way her legs feel in contrast to my hairy legs. She has a bit of hair on her forearms but I don't really care. We're both happy with each other and ourselves. (She actually makes me way less self conscious about my own body hair)

To feel that misguided shame about my own body in that tiny way and then to think that women feel like that all the time and dialed up because of societal pressures makes me sad.

Blizzard

Banned
A thread about a woman getting rape threats for something so stupid has devolved into guys stating their preference for leg hair on women.....
It's really weird to me too. Every time I see the thread title I think "Rape threats? That's so messed up and there's literally never an excuse". I sometimes click it expecting some sort of rape discussion and it keeps being leg hair preference.

I guess one thing seems way more important than the other to me, though I apologize and will edit if this is considered backseat modding.

SaviorX

Yea I think that anyone female who would complain about this is insecure in themselves and anyone male probably has no woman in their life at all outside their mom.

Aske

It's really weird to me too. Every time I see the thread title I think "Rape threats? That's so messed up and there's literally never an excuse". I sometimes click it expecting some sort of rape discussion and it keeps being leg hair preference.

I guess one thing seems way more important than the other to me, though I apologize and will edit if this is considered backseat modding.

I get where you're coming from, but there are only so many ways you can say "internet trolls who send rape threats are dirtbags". A broader discussion about body hair (when it's more than just "I like when girls do this") is useful for highlighting the ways in which people's preferences for themselves and others don't always reflect typically accepted standards of beauty.

Top Bottom