• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweet Fuse: At Your Side |OT| Keiji Inafune wants to help you get laid

pariah164

I have played all the routes, yet I am still missing the last picture in the 'Others' section of the gallery. If anyone knows what it is and how to get it, would you kindly spoiler-text it for me? It's kinda driving me bonkers, since I'm a completionist.

EDIT: Figured it out!
Have to unlock all the other images to get it. Makes sense.

Tizoc

Took some snapshots of the game using the O button, will consider uploading some of my fav. scenes later as links to avoid spoilers XP

Raggie

Sweet Fuse sounds overall better than Hakuoki, so it's kinda sad it came out with less fanfare.

I guess it's too early to ask if there's been any word on how well it's been doing saleswise?

Wow, Day 3 is intense. @_@

Edit: There's a character named
Akane?
WOWOWOW.

Sweet Fuse sounds overall better than Hakuoki, so it's kinda sad it came out with less fanfare.

I guess it's too early to ask if there's been any word on how well it's been doing saleswise?
No word yet, but I hope it finds it's audience. I can only imagine what it would of been like had it been released earlier in the PSP's lifespan. This game really deserves all the attention it can get. Hakuoki is great, but this is truly something special.

Hopefully some reviews will pop up soon. I think the game has potential for some good word of mouth buzz, ala 999.

moozoom

I just finished my first playthrough, and immediately started another can't wait to see the other sides of the story. ( My first pick was Shirabe, don't know who I'll date next...) All the little nods to other games are funny, and specially the ability to rage at the characters from time to time. The "puzzles" are well thought of and work well with the story despite the low interaction you have compared to 999 or Ace Attorney.

Gonna play this in the train this afternoon. I must charge my poor old PSP though, I forgot how short the battery is on the launch models.

Thanks! It was actually drawn by this lady. Everybody at Aksys has one. :3

Love her work. Cute, simple and beautiful.

Totally agreed :D
Stage 3 spoiler
I always wanted to be a bro! Good with kids as well.
And the way he cares for everyone on the team and how he sticks up for Urabe? And his dorky love of theme parks and growing interest in video games? *swoon* (Not to mention his steamy bromance with Shidou.)

So, how good is the story when compared to a game like 999 or Dangan Ronpa?
I haven't played Dangan Ronpa yet, so I can't comment on that, but this has a surprising amount of similarities to 999. Of course, they both play out in very different ways.

Sweet Fuse is a lot more straight forward and obviously has more of romantic bent to it. (It is a dating sim after all.) But the action starts right off the bat, and the central mystery is very interesting IMO. The characters are also all really great too, lots of entertaining interaction between the entire group.

Dinda

ah damn, looking at the picture of Towa i thought for a moment that there would be a Yuri route.
That would have been fantastic. Might still play it, sounds fun.

godspoken

Tbh, this game story-wise has NOTHING on 999. The complexity of the mysteries are incomparable. But then, this never really set out to be that great in terms of plot twists and stuff. I'll be honest: there really isn't anything in this game that will surprise you. The overall plot is pretty weak, and the "puzzles" are literally the easiest I have ever had to solve in a game, ever. One could make the case that even including interactive segments should be breaking from the usual VN mold enough, but the VN parts where they're solving the puzzles are mediocre, too. They're not exciting to read, everything is just kinda thrown at you and the answer is always exceedingly obvious but then you have to chug through fifteen minutes of the characters in-game coming to the same conclusions that you did in five seconds.

Allll that said, this is still a good game. A very basic game, I think, but a good one. It's main draw is its charm and the variety in the characters you can end up with. Saki, too, actively breaks the otome protag mold. Just don't expect anything like 999 or DanganRonpa from this game, because that's really not its purpose.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I would never compare an otome game's narrative/puzzle segments -- especially from Idea Factory -- to the likes of 999 or Danganronpa. If you're looking like something like that in the sense that it blends ideas from engineering/science/pseudoscience you're better off looking for Jiro Ishii games or Steins;Gate.

Necrovex

I would never compare an otome game's narrative/puzzle segments -- especially from Idea Factory -- to the likes of 999 or Danganronpa. If you're looking like something like that in the sense that it blends ideas from engineering/science/pseudoscience you're better off looking for Jiro Ishii games or Steins;Gate.

Does 428 have a fan translation?

How is this game compared to Katawa Shoujo?

Goddamnit, I bought this on the EU store but it says it's not compatible with my Vita so it's completely unplayable.

This is why I hate buying digital.

We're already talking with SCEE to figure out what the issue is there. Sorry for the trouble. :(

S'alright - a bit bummed to not have got my dose of quirky-Japano-mystery for the weekend like I was hoping for, but as long as I've not just thrown my money away, I won't blow a fuse (PUN INTENDED).

If this was Atlus, they'd have deliberately ended up delaying the release by another few years for us Europeans anyway.

Just reached Stage 2.

Am I supposed to be smiling like a fucking idiot when playing this game? Because I totally am. Oh, god, this is going to be me eventually, isn't it? http://youtu.be/XNrYbtm58YQ?t=1m57s (specifically the smile. Stop at 2:50 because SPOILERS and because you should totally watch this series).

I'm enjoying it so far, but I do have to say that seeing incorrect forms of words being used is pretty jarring in a game where text is all there is. It sticks out like a sore thumb. However, I can look past it if I react like I did above, haha.

Dat Shirabe route. All the way.

Tizoc

I'm enjoying it so far, but I do have to say that seeing incorrect forms of words being used is pretty jarring in a game where text is all there is. It sticks out like a sore thumb. However, I can look past it if I react like I did above, haha.

Dat Shirabe route. All the way.

Yeah the typos are jarring but I'm overlooking them as overall the translation is well done and I am loving these sexy dudes.
Gonna finish up Meoshi's path tonight and start with the sunglasses dude or Wakasa.

Sera O

Banned
After playing all of the routes, Mitarashi is awesome. His route seems to have a lot of fun with Shidou and group interactions. The characters I liked the most after playing their routes were Mitarashi, Meoshi and Shidou.

At first I thought my immediate "hell no, abort!" reaction to
Shirabe
when his
family situation is revealed
was a little harsh. But then, the ending happened, and it underlined the issue I had with it.
Saki became a neglected housewife immediately, with none of the benefits! It's like skipping all the fun crap. Trying to spend time with his kid while he isn't around, providing maid service at his house, all while never seeing him. . . yeah, sounds great :/

Overall this is probably the most consistently enjoyable otome game I've played. There is nothing amazing about it in terms of writing or puzzles, which I hesitate to even call puzzles in most cases.This game succeeds on the whole package. It does a lot of clever borrowing, and the setting and protagonist have a lot of charm.

More importantly, it is inoffensive. I don't mean that it's bland, but more like nothing was unpalatable enough to deter me, or to make me feel like an idiot for playing it. This genre tends to push my threshold. Writing can be poor, or characters tend to bug me. This game mostly avoided those traps, and I actually liked the protagonist the whole way through.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Does 428 have a fan translation?

How is this game compared to Katawa Shoujo?
It oddly doesn't, even though the Wii version came out in 2008. I was hoping someone would've released a translation patch for either the Wii or PSP versions, but I guess not...

It's hard to compare this game to Katawa Shoujo when both Sweet Fuse and KS have their own share of issues. For example, this is what I wrote about Katawa Shoujo last year:

x. Katawa Shoujo ; Katawa Shoujo seemed like it wasn’t going to be my thing when I started it. Actually, playing this game as a female is a little interesting. While I played other VNs where you play as a guy and you have a choice of several different routes with other girls, Katawa Shoujo is, I suppose, a decent first visual novel for people to play because some of the routes are rather well-written (but this leads to the fact that some of the routes aren’t, which leads to writing inconsistencies and sloppiness). I realize that I’m treading on eggshells when I say that Hisao is a very inconsistent character (his personality changes depending in which route you pick), and that leads him to lack a defined personality, which just feels a little weird because I don’t know a thing about him outside of being easily influenced. Players can turn the eroge scenes off if they wanted to. While sometimes the CGs feature odd proportions, some of them, like some of the watercolour ones, are quite pretty. The soundtrack is relatively decent and I like some of the samples they used.

Sweet Fuse, by contrast, doesn't have a similar issue with respect to the main character's personality. It has its own assorted issues in terms of pacing, dialogue where I'm banging my head on the table for people to get to the point, dialogue where I'm wondering if characters even pay attention to each other, and among other things. Additionally, it is a bit jarring when the Japanese VO isn't saying what the English text is saying. In some cases, like Hakuoki, it worked (with the grandest exception of Hijikata), but when it got to the point where my stream audience, who doesn't speak a lick of Japanese in the slightest, caught onto it, it's a little odd. English VO doesn't seem to be a financial option, so I can forgive that, but I thought it was funny when monolinguals picked up on the inconsistency.

KS's dialogue is pretty much straight to the point, and you're making decisions fairly quickly into the game. It's a game that doesn't waste the player's time with a ton of needless exposition at times, even if the writing overall is inconsistent.

...I hate to rain on the parade, but I'm not really enjoying SF so far. I will not say why until I complete a few routes (or perhaps I won't even say why in general in this thread, because I... don't really like going against the norm in overwhelmingly positive threads). I mean, if someone wants me to write up impressions if I finish all the routes, I will (because that's how I roll; I don't like writing impressions until after I finish a game/all routes in a VN). It's just that playing this game is making me question whether or not I've outgrown the otome genre despite having played Hakuouki: Reimeiroku Nagorigusa and Hakuouki: Junsouroku a few months ago and liked those.

I will say that my stream chat was being hilarious when Inafune appeared onstream because they begged for Mega Man games.

...I hate to rain on the parade, but I'm not really enjoying SF so far. I will not say why until I complete a few routes (or perhaps I won't even say why in general in this thread, because I... don't really like going against the norm in overwhelmingly positive threads). I mean, if someone wants me to write up impressions if I finish all the routes, I will (because that's how I roll; I don't like writing impressions until after I finish a game/all routes in a VN).
Just do it. It's not like the thread is bursting at the seams with discussion, and any thoughts that go against the grain will always add some good points anyone with rose-colored glasses may not see. Besides, you can't say that and not expect anyone to bring it up.

Also, I agree with you when you wonder if everyone is listening to each other. Personally, though, this is one of my pet peeves and I always notice it in games. The worst offender so far has been Project X Zone. Mah gawd. It's like they summarize every two seconds with the same stuff. Fucking Chun-Li, man.

pariah164

The following is my review/guy breakdown for Sweet Fuse. This is chock full of spoilers for every single damn route, so do NOT read unless you have gone through EVERY route. Seriously.

My favorite of them all is Ayumu Shirabe. His daughter is adorable, and though Saki is 17/18, she seems to have a good head on her shoulders on his route, enough to handle the fact he has a daughter in the first place. And besides, I doubt she would even consider the mom route until after she was out of high school, despite the ending indicating otherwise. Ayumu would accept that, I feel. And Saki knew, somewhere in her mind, that she would fall into the 'mom' spot by choosing to be with him. As far as the game plot, I liked their story, the tension of not knowing of he was the traitor or not being a good plot point. Plus, they had the best damn kiss. Seriously. Everyone else was awkward, not quite full contact, side mouth, some not even touching lips (looking at you, Towa route). But the kiss between Saki and Ayumu? Full on snogging. It was glorious.

In a tie for second place are Subaru Shidou and Kouta Meioshi. Seeing the growth in these two routes made me smile like an idiot. Subaru is a dork, and I love him for it. "Your head is so round..." made me laugh harder than it should. I kinda laughed at his reason for wearing sunglasses all the time, but that made me appreciate it even more when he took them off for the kiss scene. What struck me as weird was Towa's actions of being uber jealous in this route, when he showed none of that in the other routes (to my knowledge; I could just be horribly unobservant). As for Kouta, well, I was surprised and amazed by him carrying Saki out of the space ride when she was feeling sick. Of course, Hogstein then basically fucked them over by making the ENTIRE FREAKING PARK the attraction. I thought it was surprisingly fitting, considering Kouta was the gamer of the bunch. Also impressive was Kouta completely mind-gaming Hogstein at the end. Kouta and Saki were very sweet together, and it was nice to see a girl willing to learn about her boyfriend's gaming hobby instead of dismissing it right off.

Third place is held by Ryusei (well, Ryuji) Mitarashi, despite the fact it fell on the trope/theory that men fall for women who remind them of their mothers. I giggled like a schoolgirl at their kiss scene, kissing in front of EVERYONE and giving zero fucks. It bugged me for days that Ryuji reminded me of, and then it hit me: Kanji Tatsumi from Persona 4. I know some people may not see it, but something in the facial features and actions just rang reminder bells for me. I know how weird that seems. Saki needs to teach Ryuji the fine art of blowing his top. Hogstein would have shat himself had they done it at the same time. They are a fabulous couple.

Fourth place goes to Towa Wakasa. I did his route very last, since his character design was clearly meant to appeal to fans of a certain boy band I refuse to name. I kinda wish his singing scenes actually had his VA singing, but hey. It is a visual novel and I guess I expect too much, since this is my first real Otome game. Their route was surprisingly sweet, and though I feel there wasn't as much growth as there could have been for Towa, I was surprised seeing him willing to betray the others to help Saki. His inability to smile and feeling of faking it reminded me of Chihaya's dilemma from the IdolM@ster anime in some ways... Either way, it was very sweet and adorable at the end of everything, and I found myself liking it more than I thought I would. I blame my motherly instinct.

Fifth place belongs to Kimimaro Urabe. Oh man. THIS STORYLINE. I knew I was in for twists and turns due to it being 'love the traitor', but I did NOT expect him to go yandere on Saki. When his expression changed the first time, I literally went, "Welp, that escalated quickly." Didn't make it any less enjoyable by any means, but made me stop and regather my thoughts a few times. I loved Subaru's "Urabeeeee, kisamaaaaa!" as it was revealed Kimimaro and Saki were together. Nice to see the officer has an older brother in him. I did love the time skip at the end. Seeing Saki with long hair made my night. She looked so cute! Their kiss was so strange compared to the others, and my feelings for Urabe flip-flopped a lot along the path. I still liked it, just not as much as the others.

And finally, Makoto Mikami. AKA motherfucking HOGSTEIN. I knew he was shady as fuck from the start, and expected him to be on Hogstein's side somehow. I did NOT expect him to be Hogstein himself, especially since I accidentally did this route for my second run. I was terrified I would get an ending akin to a villain path from Hatoful Boyfriend, but that was thankfully averted. This ending wraps up all the loose ends and questions from the previous routes, and I find myself curious as to him escaping in all the other routes. A leeway for a sequel, perhaps? I can only hope. My biggest disappointment with this route was the lack of an epilogue. Every other path had a 'where are they now' sort of deal, but Makoto's path ended with him kissing Saki in the park, with Saki promising to wait for him while he was in prison. It leaves a lot of questions; Makoto never killed anyone (as far as I know), though the bombs could probably get him nailed on terrorism charges, so maybe he never got out. I dunno; I'm just speculating. Despite my issues with the route, I liked the STORY best, as it wrapped up the 'why' of the whole game.

Well, there are my thoughts on the routes. I would like to thank Hours Left for letting me do the graphics for the OT; it was an absolute pleasure, and I'd love to work on graphics for other OTs in the future. Thank you to all Gaffers who stopped in and those who are still here. And if you read my rambling little review, thank you so much; I don't write professional reviews (for good reason), but wanted to share my thoughts anyway.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
started playing this today.... I LOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE Ayumu Shirabe he's so hot <3

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Okay, well...

At this juncture, I don't think this should have been an otome VN game at all. Not even a visual novel game. Being in a visual novel genre makes the game overall boring. It tries to have half-assed puzzle mechanics to make it seem like you're legitimately doing something of merit, but you really aren't. You're just reading the dialogue and selecting the most obvious answer. This isn't puzzle-solving. This is simple reading comprehension. I was looking at the first puzzle room, almost expecting to do something, when I'm just making decisions as to who to go with or who to chastise. Honestly, this game would have felt more consistent if it had been an adventure/puzzle game as opposed to a light VN.

And the date mechanics just seemed to have been thrown in there at the last minute. It's not even difficult to try to pair up with someone since the options are so specific. In other VNs (not just otome games, but VNs in general), it's something you genuinely have to work for. Now perhaps I feel like this is highlighted to me even moreso because I'd recently replayed Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling where you genuinely had to work for the ending you got (and in the special case of Hiyoku Renri no Darling where you had to reload saves in order to respond to the texts you want / not send certain texts to get on certain paths), but when the dating mechanics in this feel so half-baked, you can&#8217;t help but to wonder if they threw it in that the moment. Some of the reviews from the Japanese version on various sites had said that the romance aspect was incredibly lacking and I should have anticipated that, but even the small snippets of romance in this game are kind of boring or not as mature as I&#8217;d like to the point where I&#8217;m just wondering if the genre is even for me anymore. In short, I feel like the relationship mechanics in this game are incredibly ham-fisted at best. You don&#8217;t have to try, and there is no sense of trying to get to know the characters involved in the game because everything is spoonfed to you to the point where you're not really learning anything at all to intuitively react to them. If you need to tell someone off, you can generally tell them off or be nice to them because it's so obvious as to how their minds work.

People who'd asked whether or not this is a game that's equivalent to 999 / VLR / Danganronpa are sorely mistaken in asking that particular question since this game is absolutely nothing like these games in terms of puzzle elements or even down to how the characters carry the narrative. You watch them waffle around an answer even though you&#8217;ve gotten the point and can solve the puzzle yourself, but you have to get the point where they&#8217;re desperate for an answer in the dialogue to do this makeshift attempt to try to give the player a sense of agency, when in reality it&#8217;s one of the shallowest attempts at puzzle saving for the sake of giving some sense of agency in a game when in reality the game would have been so much better as a point-and-click or adventure game in order to facilitate player agency.

In short, the game seems to have a sense of identity crisis where it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be at its core function. Its way of solving the player agency issue is to give shoddy attempts at puzzle-solving mechanics when the answer&#8217;s been reasoned out already and the answer&#8217;s in your face halfway through the characters&#8217; deliberations to the point where you&#8217;re wondering when the game is finally going to give you a chance to finally progress.

Granted, I have finished two routes so far. Perhaps my opinion may change if I finish all of the routes, but so far this does not look promising in the slightest. This game lacks consistency and its bugging the hell out of me.

I have other issues, too, but the glaring inconsistencies and lack of identity that this game has are the two biggest issues for me right now and it makes the game incredibly boring for me. It's not structured well at all.

cj_iwakura

Dark, did you play a Japanese language Steins Gate or is the an English translation out there?

A beta version of sorts was released. Largely complete with a few issues, but I assume it's not being worked on since the translator is now doing the official one with Jast.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dark, did you play a Japanese language Steins Gate or is the an English translation out there?
I played the Vita version of it (and Hiyoku Renri no Darling), which are in Japanese. Prior to that, I'd played the PC version.

But like cj_iwakura said, JAST is going to release Steins;Gate in English. I believe there is a patch for the iOS version of Steins;Gate, and there should be a be English patch for the PC version... but I'd wait until the JAST release if you're going to play it on PC.

I agree with you about the puzzle aspects of the game Schala, I think they could of been much more developed. Rather by having the text parsing aspect be much more thorough, or by actually changing the format of how they present the different attractions you visit. The way the narrative is set up, the game would greatly benefit from having far more interaction during the attractions, similar to the way they have the different escape rooms in 999. It would of actually lent itself perfectly to that style of point and click/VN. (Though I don't blame the characters themselves for waffling so much when the answers are sometimes quite apparent. Considering that one wrong move for them can mean death, I think their tendency to over over analyze certain situations seems realistic to me.)

As far as the romantic aspects though, I don't have any problems with them at all. I think they have been handled just right so far from what I've seen. I wouldn't expect characters that have only known each other for a few days to already have such grand scenes of romance, so I think the little bits a long the way seem much more realistic. It's not like Hakuoki, for example, where the protagonist has spent months/years with the guys. (And I personally think that game suffers in the romance department due to the extremely slow pace.)

May I ask which routes you've played so far?

unsmashable

Neo Member
Additionally, it is a bit jarring when the Japanese VO isn't saying what the English text is saying. In some cases, like Hakuoki, it worked (with the grandest exception of Hijikata), but when it got to the point where my stream audience, who doesn't speak a lick of Japanese in the slightest, caught onto it, it's a little odd. English VO doesn't seem to be a financial option, so I can forgive that, but I thought it was funny when monolinguals picked up on the inconsistency.

I don't understand any Japanese, but I don't really mind if the translation is not really faithful to the source text. Obviously it's a matter of personal preference, but as long as the writing is entertaining and consistent, it could all be completely made up as far as I am concerned. :D
I kind of doubt that the orginal text had termonology like "ivory tower idol" and I would assume Hijikata probably didn't curse as much in the Japanse version of Hakuoki(?), but that kind of writing style works for me, so I tend to prefer less dry/"literal" translations. I can imagine it being jarring if you actually know Japanese, though.

I totally agree with you on the puzzle elements. I wouldn't really recommend this game to people who liked 999/VLR for the puzzles/mystery elements. I wasn't really expecting much in the way of interactivity, as it is a visual novel, and not adventure game, but they could still have been handled better. Putting interactivity to the side, the puzzles/solutions that I have come across so far have been pretty... dumb, for a lack of a better word. The characters are generally cute and charming (if a bit on the dim side) so that makes up for it for me.

My experience with visual novels is limited to Hakuoki (and Corpse Party/999/VLR, though I guess they are more like adventure games than visual novels), so I don't have that much to compare it with, and I may be less critical as a result. I would definetely enjoy reading your impressions if you get around to it. :)

side note: Does anyone have any other visual novels (available in English) they would recommend? Doesn't have to be romance-related. Planning on picking up Steins;Gate and Dangan Ronpa when they come out.

I just got to Stage 4 and I was wondering if it's dependent on who you have the highest Affection with. It just seems very convenient, which is good. It makes me wonder if it'd branch differently if I didn't have high Affection.

For those who've played past the beginning of Stage 4, I just
split off from the main group to team up with Shirabe to look for Mai. It's looking like I may not be doing the puzzle at all, but who knows

Did it go differently for anyone else?

Mitarashi ending(s) get! I swooned. :D

I'm ready to dive right in again. But who to go for this time? Even though I've grown more fond of them, I kinda want to get Towa and Meoshi over with so I can concentrate on the guys I really like. I think I'll do one more fav, then alternate between Towa/Meoshi and the ones I'm more partial to.

I just got to Stage 4 and I was wondering if it's dependent on who you have the highest Affection with. It just seems very convenient, which is good. It makes me wonder if it'd branch differently if I didn't have high Affection.

For those who've played past the beginning of Stage 4, I just
split off from the main group to team up with Shirabe to look for Mai. It's looking like I may not be doing the puzzle at all, but who knows

Did it go differently for anyone else?
Yeah...

*Mitarashi Route Spoilers*
At the start of Stage 4, I was locked into Mitarashi's Route, and we spent a lot of the time not doing any of the attractions, but exploring other parts of the park away from the group. Makes sense I guess, so you can have more one-on-one time with your chosen dude.

that'll be a long wait, haha

Edit: Folks wondering about reviews &#8211; I'm doing one for Game Critics (I also reviewed the two Hakuoki games released in English for them)
Awesome, I'll be sure to link it in the OP. I'm hoping more sites have reviews for this up after the holiday weekend.

And if more Gaffers feel comfortable posting their personal reviews here, I'll link them in the OP too. I've seen that done in a couple of other OTs lately, and I think it's pretty cool.

Sorry to double post, but I just have a question about subsequent playthroughs...

So now that I'm on my second playthrough and Mikami has been introduced, the scene after the first attraction is working a bit differently. I don't get the choice of who I want to go with before I go to the restaurant, I'm automatically locked into going to find Mikami. Will it be like this in every subsequent playthrough now? I'm not planning on pursuing him right now, and I'd like to see the scene with the guy I'm going after and build affection with him. Does it go back to normal on the third playthrough?

Raggie

Both Hakuoki and Sweet Fuse seem to have one thing in common: they're actually pretty light on the romance side. Hakuoki was a historic drama/horror witha romantic sub-plot. There was less romance in it than in your average Hollywood movie. It's a complete oxymoron to call these games 'dating sims'. They don't have dating per se, and they don't simulate anything.

Both Hakuoki and Sweet Fuse seem to have one thing in common: they're actually pretty light on the romance side. Hakuoki was a historic drama/horror witha romantic sub-plot. There was less romance in it than in your average Hollywood movie. It's a complete oxymoron to call these games 'dating sims'. They don't have dating per se, and they don't simulate anything.
I imagine that probably why Aksys chosen both these games, so they'd have a bit more general appeal.

Raggie

I imagine that probably why Aksys chosen both these games, so they'd have a bit more general appeal.

Probably, though it might just backfire. Those who bought them for the romantic content might be disappointed, and most of the rest won't bother because they've been tagged as 'otome', as in 'dating sims for girls'.

Probably, though it might just backfire. Those who bought them for the romantic content might be disappointed, and most of the rest won't bother because they've been tagged as 'otome', as in 'dating sims for girls'.
Eh, Hakuoki must be doing well enough since they are releasing a third game in the US soon. And this has gotten good word of mouth so far. Obviously neither are gonna be smash hits most likely, but it seems Aksys thinks that these games are worthwhile, and I'm very glad for it.

If they went with a super hardcore otome game right off the bat, I think it wouldn't have nearly the same appeal as these do. Plus, most of them look really drab in comparison to this IMO.

Sera O

Banned
Sorry to double post, but I just have a question about subsequent playthroughs...

I just went with
Mikami
for my 2nd playthrough so I can't speak for that, but my experience in the 3rd and subsequent was that
any subsequent interaction will be missed if you choose the first response when first bumping into him

I just went with
Mikami
for my 2nd playthrough so I can't speak for that, but my experience in the 3rd and subsequent was that
any subsequent interaction will be missed if you choose the first response when first bumping into him
Oh, good to know. Thanks.

Top Bottom