• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch, best to go with joy cons/grip and pro controller, or second set of joy cons?

Keep in mind that unless you have another USB-C charger around you will need to unplug the dock everytime you want to charge your Switch in handheld mode. Also please don't use a Nexus 5X or 6P charger with your switch, these are unsafe.

Yea, that's fine. I just wanted to know if the USB wall charger portion was separate from the Dock so I can choose to have it in bed or on the couch while playing. I'll be doing one or the other so that doesn't bother me.

I don't think I can justify the extra controllers right now, but it's good to know I don't have to buy an extra charger.

PSGames

I think having 2 sets of Joy Cons just offers too many options over the Pro controller if you have to choose.

Me personally I'm going with a second set of Joy Cons sans a grip (since one is included with the system). Keep one pair charging on the switch that I can swap when the battery dies on the ones in the grip. You'll also have 4 cheap controllers for Arms (2 player), smash, mario kart, zelda 4 swords, etc...

Pro controller is best for docked mode because then you want to switch to handheld you can just pull it off the dock. Don't have to mess with attaching and detaching the joycons from the grip or dock.

With that said the price for the pro controller is an absolute joke and no one should support it so we can have a quick post launch price drop on em.

EvetS

Just the second set of Joycons. I feel like it gives the best flexibility to multiplayer and single player sessions.

Keep in mind that unless you have another USB-C charger around you will need to unplug the dock everytime you want to charge your Switch in handheld mode. Also please don't use a Nexus 5X or 6P charger with your switch, these are unsafe.

Could you recommend a second charger that is safe? I'd like to pick one up for charging on the go.

e: to answer the thread, I preordered the opposite neon joycon colors of the system so that I can have a red set and blue set, and I plan on getting the pro controller at launch as well.

CDX

You'd need 2 sets of Joy-Cons (4 total Joy-Cons) to play 2 player ARMS with motion controls.

But if you're not getting ARMS, I feel the Pro Controller is the better option. I'd just rather have something with a proper d-pad, that feels like a normal controller.

I also think the choice depends upon how many 4 player games that can use the joy-cons you'll be playing. And outside of Mario Kart, I don't feel there are too many of those games YET.

I'm also assuming for Mario Kart, since the Switch dock has 2 usb ports easily accessible, that the Wii U USB Gamecube adapter will eventually work on the Switch dock. So if you already have Gamecube controllers hopefully you'll already be good for that game

I ordered a pro controller. Zelda will be a good opportunity to Switch between the two controllers and I can decide when Mario Kart and arms comes whether I want another pro or another joycon. Although, admittedly ill probably do both.

Neoxon

I'm going to get an extra set of Joy-Cons and a single Pro Controller.

When we play Smash I'll have the Pro and everyone else can play with half a Joy-Con.
You don't have a GameCube Adapter, or do you mean when the Switch isn't docked?

stoff

I think you'll quickly figure out that the comfiest way to play anything will be simply with separated Joycons. (Without a Grip)
There is no point to having a Pro unless you really really can't wait to pay 50 bucks for Street Fighter II again.
Buy a second pair of Joycons if you're into Arms or 4-player multiplayer games like Bomberman.
That should make you set for pretty much every situation.

And tbh, I wouldn't worry about it right now. The accessories will be available everywhere anyhow. Just get the console to get a feel for the hardware and then make an informed decision.

I ordered a second pair of joy-cons, as well as a charging grip.

Because then I have two pairs of joy-cons for games like ARMS, two normal controllers when in grips for whatever, and four simple controllers for Mario Kart.

I plan on getting a pro controller later on, but this should do me fine for a while.

I'm facing the same dilemma OP! I want the Pro Controller for the larger buttons and a more "traditional" feel, but a second set of Joy-Con seem more versitile. Right now I'm leaning towards the Pro as Nintendo doesn't seem to have any games that "demand" two sets of Joy-Con. I feel like if that was a possibility, they would have made something at launch. As it stands, even 1 2 Switch! only requires one pair doesn't it?

I'm sure I'll just go with a Joy-Con pair in the end...

weekev

Banned
ive gone for second set of joycons, the joycon plus grip looks like its gonna be adequate for my gaming needs. Also my kids are 7 and 2 so by the end of the consoles lifecycle the 2 year old will likely be into gaming and id need the 4th joycon anyway to play as a family.

Jashobeam

Has it even been confirmed if the wii u pro or gamecube designed controllers are not backwards compatible? They use USB and have all the same buttons and all.

Berordn

So far I'm not ordering any, but depending on how the detached arrow buttons feel I'll probably just get a second set of joycons for the versatility. I can't see it being that bad so probably another set of joycons but I've been wrong before.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if I'll need a pro controller.

I intend to share the Switch with my son, so my plan is to get another set of Joy-Cons, two charging grips and a second dock. Then we'll have a dock in the living room and another in his bedroom, and we'll each have our own controller, plus we can do four player when we need to (my nephew stays over a lot and my wife enjoys multiplayer Smash and Mario Kart).

I will probably get a pro as well though... I usually do...

At launch all I have preordered is Breath of The Wild and a charging grip. The rest can wait.

cand

In my case, a second set of joycons it's the way to go because 4 player bomberman with my friends will be a blast... no pun intended

Edit: Also it will allow me to have a symmetric blue or red Switch. Wich is a plus.

Cleve

I'm a little torn, but I know I'll want a set of joycons for mario kart/bomberman(maybe).

I'll try to live with joycons in the grip to see how it goes. I can't justify the accessory expenses beyond that.

cireza

I am starting with the console alone with Zelda. Depending on how comfortable it is to play with the joycons (either on the console, or on the grip), I will buy a pro controller.

But looking at the thing in pictures, I already fear that I won't find the joycons comfortable at all...

And no d-pad :(

Theonik

Depends on how comfortable the Pro controller ends up being vs the grips. The grips + joycons offer maximum versatility. 2 player controller games, 4 player Mario Kart, or 2 player ARMS.

I anticipate my gaming time with Switch to either be single player experiences( in which case I'll try to make due with the Joycons attached to the grip) or two player Mario Kart/ Smash Bros with my son( in which case we'll each have a Joy con). It would take alot for me to invest in either another set of Joycons, or a pro controller. Hell, at the cost of the Dock and joy cons on their own, I might as well buy another Switch set.

kahi

We'll find out sooner or later. I hope that the joycon with the grip is comfortable enough. I don't want to drop 70 bucks for the pro controller.

Basically the way I'm playing it. Would rather not spend the extra $70 when the only game I'll have is Zelda, hopefully the joycon is comfortable enough.

Velkyn

I'll grab a second set of joycons and a pro controller at some point. Then, I can give the split joycons to guests, so they can use the peon controllers they deserve, while I use the pro controller.

jariw

Sure, but who wants to do that? (when docked) You can also play it solo, but the advanced motion controls/rumble and the multiplayer are at the core of the game. The Joy-Cons are what makes this game special. Sony and MS would have to make new accessories to offer a similar experience, so I think it has potential to be a decent system seller for the Switch.

This is my thoughts exactly. Having played lots of Splatoon with motion controls on the Wii U, I'm pretty sure that ARMS will be designed to work extremely well with the Joycons, specially the reports of the HD rumble. To be able to actually be able to physically "feel" the arms extend through HD rumble will enhance the gaming experience quite a bit.

Raylan

Banned
Even Nintendo says the Switch is first and foremost a home console. Of course you need a Pro controller instead of a second set of Joy-Cons.

SummitAve

Banned
I ordered a second set of joy cons for multiplayer uniformity. Not going to order a charging base or grip until I feel like I need them. I'm thinking my preference will be to hold the joy cons separately outside of any grip.

I'm going to get an extra set of Joy-Cons and a single Pro Controller.

When we play Smash I'll have the Pro and everyone else can play with half a Joy-Con.

Most of my crowd prefers to play Smash with sideways wiimote. I don't get that, but joy cons would be a considerable improvement.

Berordn

Even Nintendo says the Switch is first and foremost a home console. Of course you need a Pro controller instead of a second set of Joy-Cons.

With the exception of a D-Pad, the pro controller is identical to joycons in the grip in almost every way.

Why would the pro be in any way necessary at that point?

m4st4

We'll find out sooner or later. I hope that the joycon with the grip is comfortable enough. I don't want to drop 70 bucks for the pro controller.

This. I just cannot rationalize that purchase ON TOP of every other Switch-related purchase right now. I'll probably buy it when Splatoon 2 hits.

I ordered a second pair of joy-cons, as well as a charging grip.

Because then I have two pairs of joy-cons for games like ARMS, two normal controllers when in grips for whatever, and four simple controllers for Mario Kart.

I plan on getting a pro controller later on, but this should do me fine for a while.

This is what I'll end up doing. Two "full" controllers (for games like ARMS, Street Fighter, 2k) and four Joycon (for games like Puyo Puyo, Bomberman, Mario Kart, etc).

Mr-Joker

Banned
The more I think about it, I'm going to ride it out with the included joy cons and grip for Zelda, then make a decision before Arms comes out.

That's what I was going to suggest as that's what I doing as well though instead of getting another joycon I plan to get another Switch sometime next year for my little brother.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm not going to buy a second grip, I love the "free hand" set up.
But I'm not sure about a second set of JoyCons VS the Pro Controller.
I think I'll choose later on, after having played a while and having checked my use behaviour (friends at home, and so on)

Top Bottom