• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch cracking near power button?

Chauzu

Switch will definately get revisions, I doubt any revision will be better than the OG model for me personally. The faults it has for me can be counted on one hand.

For those not happy with current design I hope the revisions will fit their needs!

Moreche

I saw this issue online before and I then loosened the screws on mine by about a half turn.
Hopefully backplate replacements can be purchased from Aliexpress soon.

I doubt they'll repair it if it still works. Dead pixels aren't even an issue, remember?
Except they're not even close to the same? This is closer to the ds lite having issues with the hinge cracking. But sure, funny troll post that dead pixels don't count so they never repair anything.

Revisions usually correct the issues the original units had. Not sure why this is being downplayed.
Hinge cracking is far more rampant on DS Lite than DS original.

DSi is missing features.

GBA SP was perhaps the best upgrade with the light, lithium-ion battery, and folding screen, but it is missing a headphone jack, is less comfortable to hold than GBA, and tends to have L/R buttons go bad more often.

New 3DS XL has the cart in a spot where some people accidentally pop it out during play and requires unscrewing stuff to access the SD card which requires costlier MicroSD cards vs. the 3DS XL's standard SD.

As for consoles, most Nintendo console revisions strip out either features (Wii, Wii Mini) or AV quality/options (NES 101, SNES 101, N64, GameCube, Wii Mini)

Point is, there's often a trade-off with their revisions. Being a net gain is subjective based on individual usage and desires.

We are talking about 1 guy on Neogaf who has this issue in this thread...

1st of all: a simple "switch crack" in Google give you the predictive search option of "Switch crack near power button" there are quite a few articles and forums reporting this same issue. Here is an example of each:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/75325696

http://nintendotoday.com/nintendo-switch-cracking-plastic/

This isn't the first time I've heard of this issue.

2nd of all: what is your point? I was just saying that there is already a lot of known issues with the Switch. Even if this is just a fluke, there is still a handful of issues that are (at least to an extent) pretty common problems.

I love the switch, but I'm not going to pretend that the system hasn't had some issues.

AEREC

Also found this thread on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._of_your_switch_cracks_forming_near/?sort=new

Not widespread but seems like alot of people have the issue, and Im sure it's only gonna get worse and more common.

Im now thinking of not getting it repaired since I dont feel like not having my switch for the 2-3 weeks of estimated repair, nor do I want to take the risk of losing my save data or getting back a switch thats worse off than my current one. Other than the crack Im pretty happy with my current one (no dock scratches, warping or raised screen side as of yet).

Is the backplate easy to remove and replace once the part becomes available somehow?

I usually hold the bottom of the Switch with my left thumb while holding the power button with my left index finger. After a while though, I've stopped because I can feel the plastic on the bottom start to flex, which will inevitably begin cracking like a lot of other people's Switches have.

I've been playing with my Switch in docked mode for the last five days, today I took it off the dock to find I have the same crack at the same location. I have been super duper careful with this product. Ive babied this thing. Installed screen protector, travel with it in a rigid travel case with plenty of padding that gets put into a snug sling bag. Never dropped.... and I have this happen.

So, you are not alone. I set up a repair, the customer service guy was super nice, really great sense of humor so that was cool. Bummer that my console might be gone for 2-3 weeks,

Opa-Pa

Ah yes, I certainly needed another hardware flaw to worry about with this thing.

Sorry that it happened to you OP, and hopefully you can resolve it somehow. But have you had your Switch since release? Do you play mainly in docked mode?

mebizzle

I definitely have it on mine too, I baby the shit out of my Switch but the crack is there. Awesome. Really don't want to send it in, I'm afraid I'll lose my Zelda save...

I definitely have it on mine too, I baby the shit out of my Switch but the crack is there. Awesome. Really don't want to send it in, I'm afraid I'll lose my Zelda save...

That was one of the first questions I asked the rep as the thought of all of the hours I've poured into Zelda would be crushing to lose. The rep assured me that they can almost always transfer the game saves (along with digital purchases of course). He said unless the unit is severely thrashed it's not an issue.

He also answered questions honestly (or as honest as he could while being recorded) I asked if this issue was solely related to maybe an over tightening of the screw, or if the dock could have contributed, he stated diplomatically that this is a well documented situation and that if the dock contributed his system would ask for that to be returned also.
I mean, take that last part with a grain of salt, who knows right? Unless we have a insider lurking that could verify.

That said, the rep also complained that Ninty doesn't allow us to back up our own game saves. I even said I would be happy with cloud saves, but he persisted with user back up saves request. In his words, "bad people will find exploits regardless, so good people shouldn't have to be inconvenienced. It's not like the hackers won't continue to try to find a way."

mebizzle

That was one of the first questions I asked the rep as the thought of all of the hours I've poured into Zelda would be crushing to lose. The rep assured me that they can almost always transfer the game saves (along with digital purchases of course). He said unless the unit is severely thrashed it's not an issue.

He also answered questions honestly (or as honest as he could while being recorded) I asked if this issue was solely related to maybe an over tightening of the screw, or if the dock could have contributed, he stated diplomatically that this is a well documented situation and that if the dock contributed his system would ask for that to be returned also.
I mean, take that last part with a grain of salt, who knows right? Unless we have a insider lurking that could verify.

That said, the rep also complained that Ninty doesn't allow us to back up our own game saves. I even said I would be happy with cloud saves, but he persisted with user back up saves request. In his words, "bad people will find exploits regardless, so good people shouldn't have to be inconvenienced. It's not like the hackers won't continue to try to find a way."

Yeah. If dedicated enough people will eventually find an entrypoint regardless. I really wish I could back up my fucking saves

Kamina

Golden Boy
All fine so far on my Launch Switch, will monitor the situation.

That really sucks, i wish all of you affected that you get it back from repair as fast as possible. :(

Vena

I did...im sending it in under warranty. Anyone have experience with turn around times on repairs. Nintendo said 2-3 weeks but that seems excessive, especially if it's just replacing the back panel.

They say that, but then mine got back in under a week.

They have the buffer because of potential delays I think.

AEREC

They say that, but then mine got back in under a week.

They have the buffer because of potential delays I think.

I held off on sending mine and just put some clear packing tape over the crack. I realize it wont stop the crack from spreading but I'm hoping it will at least slow it down and prevent a chunk from falling off.

Im just gonna wait until I can purchase a back panel and replace it myself. It looks like they are starting to show up on ebay.

ghibli99

Have not even thought to check, but will look when I get home. It's like the DS Lite's cracked hinge. Would never have noticed it had I not read about it on GAF. LOL

AEREC

Have not even thought to check, but will look when I get home. It's like the DS Lite's cracked hinge. Would never have noticed it had I not read about it on GAF. LOL

I didnt notice until a tiny sharp piece of plastic was sticking up near the power button.

Same issue here. Haven't bothered contacting Nintendo, and won't bother until save games can be backed up.

I loosened the adjacent screw a bit to take pressure off the area for now. Not an ideal design tbh. Back plate is easily replaced though, but I haven't found a replacement for sale yet.

Crazyorloco

I had this issue as well. I wonder if it could be because of the battery expanding?

It does tend to get pretty hot sometimes. My switch battery eventually stopped working. I couldn't turn on the system for more than 2 seconds before it turned off again. I contacted nintendo and they fixed the battery and replaced the back plate of the system. Took about a week to get the system back.

So far no cracks since (I've had it back for about a week now). I'm going to carefully watch out for this.

I'm a little annoyed. I didn't realize I had a tiny crack by my power button until I stumbled on this thread. I'm super careful with my system, like most of you, and really don't want to risk losing my saves sending this into Nintendo for repair. Hopefully a way to back up saves comes up, before the warranty is up...

I swear, people have the worst luck with these things. I have a day 1 launch system and have had 0 problems. No cracks, no scratching, never had a left joycon issue, no bending, and my pro controller dpad works flawlessly. All this, and between myself and my 2 kids, it's been played damn near every day since launch.

Guess I'm just lucky?

Brofield

Sure enough, I check my Switch's power button and I have a very similar crack, though not quite as close to the power button.

How long is the warranty on a Switch again? Three months or one year? Because I really don't want to send it in only for my Zelda save file to get wiped

Sure enough, I check my Switch's power button and I have a very similar crack, though not quite as close to the power button.

How long is the warranty on a Switch again? Three months or one year? Because I really don't want to send it in only for my Zelda save file to get wiped

The customer service representative assured me that my saves would come over (unless the unit was completely fried) so I'm not really worried about that. Others in this thread has stated in their post that they've received their units back from repair without complaining of data loss.

As far as the warranty, according to their website; 1 year for manufacturing errors.
https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/manuals/warrantyinfo.jsp

I just want my unit fixed. Thing that sucks is I purchased a warranty from Gamestop so I could just swap out the unit in case of stuff like this...but my saves. Thanks Nintendo.

#betatesterlife

daman824

Not only does my switch have a similar scratch, but there is a triangular chip in the system near the power button.

I've never sent any system in for repairs. Where do I go to get started?

Not only does my switch have a similar scratch, but there is a triangular chip in the system near the power button.

I've never sent any system in for repairs. Where do I go to get started?

I would head over to their support website here:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/contact

Or
If your in the US you can call: +1 (800) 255-3700
UK +443456050247
Worldwide (system will redirect you to proper country)
+1-800-255-3700

Just checked my switch. Luckily no crack.
The only little issue I have, is a slightly loose left joycon, when in handheld mode.
Oh, and the joycon bad signal problem.

Woah, I just checked and my Switch totally has a crack there. I wonder if it came like that from the factory or if it happened after the UPS threw the package over the fence (it landed inside our patio--the floor is literally concrete.)

big_z

is that an actual crack, like all the way through the plastic or a cosmetic crack/scratch from the molding process?

it's not that uncommon to find what appears to be cracks in molded plastic and they're not an actual structure defect. Usually the cracks don't go all the way through the plastic and just a minor surface blemish.

Top Bottom