• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch dev talk – 50,000 yen for a kit, Capcom wants to make AAA games, much more

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Err, guys, you know beril actually developed on Wii U (Gundam Clive HD Collection), right? There must be different tiers of dev kits, depending on what comes with it. The 50,000 Yen / $500 is the basic dev kit I assume, so (indeed) for smaller developers.

L Thammy

Err, guys, you know beril actually developed on Wii U (Gundam Clive HD Collection), right? There must be different tiers of dev kits, depending on what comes with it. The 50,000 Yen / $500 is the basic dev kit I assume, so (indeed) for smaller developers.

Beril, if you make this, I will buy it.

Matt

There are two dev kits for slightly different uses, but there aren't different levels of kits.

Shiggy

Seems to be $3,010.00 nowadays, for 3DS it starts from $2,485.00.

screenshot2017-02-18a09p4l.png
screenshot2017-02-18a5uq0h.png

beril

https://twitter.com/Dystify/status/832954524096663552 mhm

it was at 5k once, it's cheaper now tho. But like he said, we need to compare release day prices.

Maybe, but I doubt it. They typically don't change the prices that much and I got my Wii U devkit some time in 2013, not that far after launch. And nothing I heard from Nintendo or other devs indicated that it had gotten a price cut.

Also one month to port Street Figther 2 HD doesn't seem that impressive. I ported Gunman Clive 1&2 in a week :p

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe, but I doubt it. They typically don't change the prices that much and I got my Wii U devkit some time in 2013, not that far after launch. And nothing I heard from Nintendo or other devs indicated that it had gotten a price cut.
I also did not have a dev account back then. It's the price that gets thrown around on reddit/twitter whenever release day prices for devkits come up, of course it could be an "urban legend" by now.. but the current price is still higher than the ps4. sorry if I did sound condescending. your "very" got me lol, I've an emotional day.

beril

I also did not have a dev account back then. It's the price that gets thrown around in reddit/twitter whenever release day prices for devkits come up, of course it could be an "urbal legend" by now.. but the current price is still higher than the ps4. sorry if I did sound condescending. your "very" got me lol, I've an emotional day.

I'm pretty sure the PS4 number is wrong too though; as I distinctly remember it being more expensive than WiiU (though part of that may be down to different exchange rates at the time I registered as PS dev compared to WiiU), but I can't check it now

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure the PS4 number is wrong too though; as I distinctly remember it being more expensive than WiiU (though part of that may be down to different exchange rates at the time I registered as PS dev compared to WiiU), but I can't check it now

only have this gamespot article for sony

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/so...opers-free-of-charge-for-a-year/1100-6412084/

The dev kit itself costs about $2,500, [...]
it's from 2013, so no idea if something changed, what changed. I did not register as a PS dev so I can't look.

Oregano

when did they say that?

They said it at an investors meeting. The official translation ended up being more wishy washy that I remembered:

“We are currently carrying out research with regards to multiplatform implementation of software for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on to the Nintendo Switch and thus are unable to comment at this moment. However, we do feel that there are differences in the desired direction and the play-style of the Nintendo Switch and those of the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. At Capcom, we determine which platform to release a title for after considering the features of both our software and the hardware in question, believing we must bring the enjoyment of our games to their maximum potential.”

Bolded the important part.

cool but when can I buy RE4 for like the fifth time thanks capcom
bring back motion controls too

$500 for a devkit is great! Hopefully we'll see REmake 2 on the Switch.

antonz

Dev kit pricing sounds about right. Jetson X1 Devkit from NVidia is $499 and that lacks all the Nintendo stuff like joycons etc.

Ninja Dom

Also one month to port Street Figther 2 HD doesn't seem that impressive. I ported Gunman Clive 1&2 in a week :p

In a week to the Wii U? Just think how fast you could port it to the Switch 😮

KingBroly

Banned
MT or UE4 seems more likely, RE engine would be nice but it seems to require lots of power to runs properly. Who knows though, they could optimise it to Switch for sure.

Can't see them moving to UE4 for MH unless the cost savings are tremendous.

I still fear a True HD Monster Hunter, because of graphical density.

Oregano

They were researching the possibility. They never said they won't bring any multiplatform games.

That quote isn't saying what you think it's saying.

If they were going to do it(to any sizable degree) the answer wouldn't mention that they're fundamentally different experiences.

If Switch gets multiplatform games from them it will be because Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney get PS4 versions.

Cerium

If they were going to do it(to any sizable degree) the answer wouldn't mention that they're fundamentally different experiences.

If Switch gets multiplatform games from them it will be because Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney get PS4 versions.
The salient part of that quote:
Capcom said:
We are currently carrying out research with regards to multiplatform implementation of software for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on to the Nintendo Switch
Your takeaway:
Capcom already said they don't plan to do PS4/Switch multiplats
084.png

Top Bottom