• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch does seem to record activity data, unlocks after a week.

Micerider

110+ hours in BOTW and only 33.91% done...... here i was thinking i'd be at least 50% done if not pushing 60 lolol.

You have to keep in mind that the 900 Korok seeds account for a great chunck of the completion ratio (60 % or more, I don't have the exact figure).

Kureransu

50 hours in Zelda, 53 shrines, no Divine beasts lol. I've only been to four villages, Zora, Hateno, Kakariko, and Lurelin. I've unlocked the entire map though, did all the mazes, and took care of the three springs/dragons. Hunting down Mindy parts to upgrade some gear right now, as well as getting a few memories.

Macka

75 hours or more.

2 Divine Beasts down.
57 Shrines done.
~60 Korok seeds last I checked.
3 Great Fairy Fountains found.
I just got to the last Tower as well, so I finally have the entire map showing.

Ohh ok, that puts things in better perspective.

The other factor is "locations". Like when you enter an area, village or even bridge and it displays the title as text in the lower left side of the screen. If I remember correctly, there are about 700 locations...

_SAKY_

110+ hours in BOTW and only 33.91% done...... here i was thinking i'd be at least 50% done if not pushing 60 lolol.

Where does the game show completion percentage?

EDIT: ignoring the obvious question which is "how did you play 110+ hours?".

mstevens

I'm still curious if the activity tracker will pick up from where you left off if you play on a friends system, or if it's tied to a device. Considering I can see other's activity, I assume that it's logged on the servers rather than on the device, but I'd like confirmation.

My follow up question would be: does it track activity when you aren't connected to the internet?

Really hoping for a proper activity app soon. I don't mind the 5 hour increments you can view on your profile when it pertains to games I've played a lot (ex. 50+ on Zelda), however when I've played a title like Fast RMX for around 3-4 hours and it says "played for a few minutes", its not a good system.

U2NUMB

I wonder if a third party app could scrape the parental app and combine the time played and keep track of it all...

I sure would like a good tracker and the ability to share with sights like other platforms.

zenspider

Anyone else's clocks just wrong?

Blaster Master's in-game clock is just shy of 2 hours, yet the profile clock says "played for a few minutes". Same for Splatoon 2 Testfire, which I played for at least 4 hours.

Anyone else's clocks just wrong?

Blaster Master's in-game clock is just shy of 2 hours, yet the profile clock says "played for a few minutes". Same for Splatoon 2 Testfire, which I played for at least 4 hours.

The thing only measures in 5 hour intervals. It's pretty dumb, but it says "played for a few minutes" until you hit 5 hours.

zenspider

It's funny - the lack of a proper activity log has encouraged me to play, errmm... not-Zelda games more to get those "few minutes" to "5 hours". Was that Nintendo's plan? Shame-chievements?

Playing more FAST RMX actually sold me on Mario Kart 8 and possibly Redout - I kind of hate FAST - the obstacle out of nowhere is not very fun to me, and I don't understand car on car impact - it feels like a 50/50 who spins out yet it's always me - but I'm having fun playing racing games on Switch.

Graceful Explosion Machine is my new drug - if I don't have "5 hours or more" when it rolls over tomorrow, my feelings are going to be hurt and I don't understand why.

Crossed the "80 hours or more" mark on Zelda last night, and still have a loong way to go (only defeated one Divine Beast so far, and lots of areas unconvered yet, let alone thoroughly explored). What a juggernaut of a game, I haven't played any game for this long since the PS2 days, and I'm so loving it.

swarley64

It says I've only played Fast RMX for a few minutes, but I'm sure I've put at least a couple hours into it....

My time in Zelda is 15 hours which seems accurate.

Not sure if this is already well known, but you know how when you inspect the play activity of friends who are online, it tells you which game they're playing and (in the case of Breath of the Wild) marks them as "Online"? It turns out the status message can be more specific than that: I just clicked through to the profile of a friend in the midst of playing Puyo Puyo Tetris and the status displayed precisely which adventure mode stage he was on.

Not sure if this is already well known, but you know how when you inspect the play activity of friends who are online, it tells you which game they're playing and (in the case of Breath of the Wild) marks them as "Online"? It turns out the status message can be more specific than that: I just clicked through to the profile of a friend in the midst of playing Puyo Puyo Tetris and the status displayed precisely which adventure mode stage he was on.

Yes, and it shows what the person is doing in MK8 as well. The Wii U did this for a few games but I don't think Nintendo ever used it.

Yeah this is cool though a shame you have to enter a profile to see it, makes it less useful than it could be.

I wish there were at least some way to clear out individual games instead of wiping your playtime data all at once. I thought downloadable demos wouldn't show up (Snipperclips and Puyo Puyo Tetris didn't) but it seems this is software-dependent: the Blaster Master Zero demo was logged, and it's now just clutter on my activity list that won't get cleared out until I've played twenty other titles.

Zedark

20 hours or more in 10 days for MK8D. This is very impressive since I was swamped in a school paper for the whole of last week. It really is easy to take a break and play a grand prix for 15 minutes. Really a brilliant game for the Switch' USP.

Zedark

I turned on parental controls only after playing BOTW for about a month. Does this mean, it won't track my play time prior to today?

The parental controls app tracks playtime separately from the system itself: after 10 days the system itself unlocks the playtime (which is shown in increments of 5 hours), which you can find in your profile page on the Switch. It tracks this regardless of whether the parental controls app in connected, but the Par. con. app does only track data once it's been connected.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The parental controls app tracks playtime separately from the system itself: after 10 days the system itself unlocks the playtime (which is shown in increments of 5 hours), which you can find in your profile page on the Switch. It tracks this regardless of whether the parental controls app in connected, but the Par. con. app does only track data once it's been connected.

I find it hilarious and a bit sad that to ge the auto tracking I like to see, and DSi and 3DS gave me, I need to set parental controls on myself... lol. The default activity tracking for the profile is barebones almost to the point of not being usable.

Pretty sure we'll get a real activity log at some point. It wasn't just a priority first. Which is understandable, because features are added after fixes / core functions.

Unai

Pretty sure we'll get a real activity log at some point. It wasn't just a priority first. Which is understandable, because features are added after fixes / core functions.

How can you be pretty sure about that? I personally doubt it very much. It's not something that will sell consoles or even that people are loud about it.

Bazry

Mine doesn't seem to want to track 1 2 Switch, I have it on cart and have played it for more than 5 hours, but it doesn't even show as played on my profile. I've had it since launch and played it on various occasions

At the moment, I got Zelda at 85 hours, Mario Kart 8 at 15 hours, FAST and Bomberman at 5 hours, and everything else (Neo Geo games and Kamiko) at a few minutes.

evanmisha

Mine doesn't seem to want to track 1 2 Switch, I have it on cart and have played it for more than 5 hours, but it doesn't even show as played on my profile. I've had it since launch and played it on various occasions

It only tracks titles with save data.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I will believe it when I see it ;). Seriously, I think that if they do not get enough vocal customers complaining about non gaming features they will not spend a dime in anything that is not just letting you play a game. For all we know multiplayer service is letting people playing online and blocking multiplayer for people who do not pay regardless of how barebones the online offering is.

Thanks

Latest system update has changed the wording for games played below 5 hours, previously "for a few minutes", to "played for a little while".

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I find it hilarious and a bit sad that to ge the auto tracking I like to see, and DSi and 3DS gave me, I need to set parental controls on myself... lol. The default activity tracking for the profile is barebones almost to the point of not being usable.
Activity tracking on the switch is eons behind other prior Nintendo devices, and I see no possible explanation of that other than somebody high up in Nintendo not giving a damn. Which is a bloody shame.

Top Bottom