• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Joy-Con are excellent for one-handed gamers!

jackal27

Banned
A little while back a Twitter friend of mine lamented that they had broken their hand and wouldn't be playing games for a long time. This kind of broke my heart, since when I've been in the hospital or in recovery, video games were a huge help. I started trying to come up with options for them and stumbled upon some cool one-handed game controllers such as the Agetec ASCII Grip for the Playstation or the ASCII Stick Super L5 for the SNES. However, these controllers are only for older consoles and can also get a bit pricey.

That's when I had a revelation. The Switch Joy-Con.

NintendoSwitch_hardware_Joy-Con_03.jpg

They're readily accessible, were designed to be held very comfortably in the left or right hand, have a total of 11 mappable buttons each alongside the joystick, and most importantly... They have native Bluetooth support. You can connect your Joy-Con to your PC or Bluetooth-enabled mobile device right this second.

Heck, with some finagling, your can even make your PC recognize it as an Xinput device. This gives you access to tons of indie and AAA PC games with controller support. Aside from that though, from the go you have access to an entire host of emulators that support custom button input mapping. Obviously this setup would work better for some genres than others, but (as I demonstrate here) it is very comfortably usable.

Anyway, I just really wanted to share this in hopes of getting the information to someone who could use it. What are some other controller options for one-handed gamers I may not have listed? What are some other uses the Joy-Con could have as Bluetooth devices?

Loxley

The fact that they're detachable appears to be great for a lot of people who have motor-nerve problems in their hands. You don't have to keep your hands stationary, which is pretty significant. I think it's why the Wii was also a big hit in hospitals and nursing homes.

I wonder, did anyone thought of making, for one handed gamers, a controller which is a wand but also two or three pedals like for wheels ?

Top Bottom