• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch or PS4 to complement a gaming PC?

zMiiChy-

Banned
Personally, I have no interest whatsoever towards a Switch as of now.

However, given your situation I'd genuinely recommend the Switch out of the two.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
what one has the most exclusives you want to play? get that one.

for me I got a PS4 because of games like Uncharted, Last of Us, Bloodborne, Horizon, Persona, Until Dawn, inFamous. also because it will get games like RDR2 before PC and the PS4 version of Nier Automata isn't a complete mess.

i also want a Switch too though because of Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Arms, Splatoon but I'll probably hold off for a hardware revision that is cheaper.

silva1991

Depends on the exclusives you actually want to play. As a PC user who stopped caring about graphics and updating the hardware, I find PS4 and Switch combo more compelling.

ddikxela

Obviously the main thing is weighing up the games you are looking forward to playing and choosing the console based on that.

You can remotely play the PS4 titles on your PC which is probably something else to consider.... though I think for remote play the pro has the edge over the slim.

I've always cared more for the Japanese third party games on Sony systems more than the first party games, but those seem to be mostly all releasing on Steam these days.

So if it was me in your position the Switch would be the obvious choice.

That said I have PS4 and Switch with no PC.

Yeah the Switch and PS4 is a sweet combo

One will probably see a price cut sooner rather than later and the other probably a revision at some point in the next two years. I'd go with a Switch because it will be all new to you and the games are here now, whereas by the time there are enough newer exclusives on the PS4, there will most likely have been a price cut.

City 17

Well:

-PS4 and PC have too much of an overlap rel. to Switch, so it comes down to exclusives, which you admit to liking both.
-But you've already had a PS4 that has died up, so you've probably played a good chunk of its library including exclusives.
-Switch is also portable.

Kashiwaba

Ps4 for me, most Nintendo games won't appeal to you unless you have so much nostalgia for Nintendo old consoles and their franchises.

weekev

Banned
Horizon, Uncharted, God of War and GT Sport vs Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Odyssey, Mario Rabbids and Arms

Your choice.

I'd go Nintendo because it's more suited to my tastes but there isn't a bad choice here.

If your PS4 died only a few months ago and you've played many of the exclusives then I don't see how the answer isn't a Switch. Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild would likely keep you occupied for months. Pokemon, Metroid Prime 4, and Fire Emblem are in the works. Plenty of online focused titles to keep you busy too, and you can bet it's only a matter of time before we get the inevitable Virtual Console support. So...go with the Switch.

From a personal perspective, I built a PC and grabbed a Switch. I still play my 3DS as well. Nintendo makes games that scratch an itch that nobody else really does for me. I'll grab up an Xbox One and a PS4 again eventually, but I feel there's just a lot of overlap on titles. PS4 exclusives are high quality, but my decision not to have one at the moment stems from 1.) the eventual PS Now support for PS4 games we'll get and 2.) seeing that Sega is interested in PC ports for Yakuza and Persona. Don't know if we'll ever see Nioh on PC, but if we do then that pretty much negates my desire to grab a Sony console. Naughty Dog games are cool and I'd be interested in Horizon, but that's pretty much it for my interest outside of what else I previously mentioned.

Nzyme32

For me, if I had to do it, it would be Switch by a massive margin. More interesting first party and third party games that are not available else where. However due to lack of perpetuity and Nintendo's typical sunsetting of services, over charging, refreshed models and subsequent incompatibility and other odd policies, I won't be bothering right now.

It's looking like it makes more sense for me to get GPD Win or some other PC portable that can simply carry over all the games I already have with all the features and options I like.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Now I think about it

Switch + PC = Sweet Combo
Switch + PS4 = Sweet Combo
Switch + XB1 = Sweet Combo

:D

Nah, forget XB1 lol. There is little need for an Xbox if you have a PC.

I'd say PC + PS4 is the best combination. If you prefer Nintendo games then get a Switch instead. If you want pretty much everything and have the money then PC + PS4 + Switch.

PC at this point is just a more powerful Xbox One X. There are few true Xbox exclusives anymore.

alt27

So if you have already played most of PS4 stuff perhaps a switch ?

Unless your interested in god of war , Spider-Man , Detroit , yakuza , days gone etc for next year

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Switch! I still feel like PS4 and XB1 are pretty much redundant if you have a PC for most third party games

Xater

After getting a gaming PC recently I sold my PS4 but kept my Switch. Less overlap and the possibility to use it portable is also neat. Son exclusives are neat, but I like less of them than Nintendo games.

Sygma

Do the smart thing, get both /s

Since you ve played already all the good exclusives, what's left are not so exclusive ones outside God of War / Shadow of Colossus / Spider Man / Death Stranding / Days Gone

Everything else will be better on pc

As far as the Switch goes its all about that portable life

Do the smart thing, get both /s

Since you ve played already all the good exclusives, what's left are not so exclusive ones outside God of War / Shadow of Colossus / Spider Man / Death Stranding / Days Gone

Everything else will be better on pc

As far as the Switch goes its all about that portable life

Isn't Death Stranding going to be on PC too?

EDIT: Perhaps dumb question but I remember reading some months ago in the switch launch thread I think(?) that the grey switch was more prone to issues with I think dc'ing joycons than neon...is that true or no?

Kolx

Get the Switch, far smaller overlap with the library of games on PC.

The overlap doesn't matter. What matter is the number of software exclusive to the platform. PS4 has and will still have the biggest library of exclusives this gen.

Do you care about Sony 1st party games or Nintendo 1st party games?

Sony exclusive are not just their first party tho. Not even close. Just this year there were 2 yakuza games, persona 5, Nioh, FF12 remaster ect.. that you can only play on ps4 and were not first party.

The overlap doesn't matter. What matter is the number of software exclusive to the platform. PS4 has and will still have the biggest library of exclusives this gen.

He's already played most of the big PS4 games that have released. Secondly, a lot of PS4 'exclusives' are actually also on PC.

And as a result of that, I have doubts that PS4 will end up with more exclusives than the Switch, considering that Nintendo is the most prolific Publisher in the industry.

poodaddy

Is that software that allows you to stream your PC games to the Switch still coming to the e shop or was it cancelled/shitcanned like we knew/know it's going to be? Because my answer to the OP depends on the answer to that question...

Kolx

He's already played most of the big PS4 games that have released. Secondly, a lot of PS4 'exclusives' are actually also on PC.

And as a result of that, I have doubts that PS4 will end up with more exclusives than the Switch, considering that Nintendo is the most prolific Publisher in the industry.

And a lot are not on pc. And got any evidence to back your last sentence? the output so far on switch doesn't indicate that at all.

Neith

Banned
Tough decision, but ultimately I cannot recommend the Switch quite yet. The PS4 has a great library of first party games, and I am only interested in a few on Switch. Plus, it's underpowered. But if you gonna need this on the go for some reason then yeah.

First party is mostly what matters but also I think just having games portible might too. Indie games in switch seem like the best place to buy them if you care about that.

Peterc

Switch would be the best choice.
It has the best exclusive, but not yet the most. But the library will grow and has a longer life span. It's also portable.

Allot of ps4 games are way better on pc, so beside the gfx, I would say it depends if you like game specially because of storylines or gameplay experience. Ps4 games focus on story movie likw games, Nintendo is about unique gameplay, having fun and creating your own stories.

And a lot are not on pc. And got any evidence to back your last sentence? the output so far on switch doesn't indicate that at all.

From what's released and from what we know is releasing, Nintendo will have published 30 games for 3DS/Switch this year by the end of December.

Snipperclips
Flip Wars
Botw
1-2 Switch
MK8 Deluxe
Arms
Splatoon 2
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

DQVIII
Poochi & Yoshi's Woolly World
Mario Sports Superstars
Fire Emblem Echoes
Ever Oasis
Hey! Pikmin
Miitopia
Monster Hunter Stories
Metroid: Samus Returns
Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Mario Party: The Top 100
Kirby Battle Royale
Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon
New Style Boutique
Tank Troopers
Bye-Bye BoxBoy
Team Kirby Clash Deluxe
Kirby's Blowout Blast

What other Publsiher comes close?

Usobuko

Banned
Nintendo first party is better against Sony for me but the problem is third party Japanese developers that won't go multiplatform.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
From what's released and from what we know is releasing, Nintendo will have published 30 games for 3DS/Switch this year by the end of December.

Snipperclips
Flip Wars
Botw
1-2 Switch
MK8 Deluxe
Arms
Splatoon 2
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles X

DQVIII
Poochi & Yoshi's Woolly World
Mario Sports Superstars
Fire Emblem Echoes
Ever Oasis
Hey! Pikmin
Miitopia
Monster Hunter Stories
Metroid: Samus Returns
Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Mario Party: The Top 100
Kirby Battle Royale
Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon
New Style Boutique
Tank Troopers
Bye-Bye BoxBoy
Team Kirby Clash Deluxe
Kirby's Blowout Blast

What other Publsiher comes close?
Psst its 2 not x :p

petran79

Banned
A PC will eat most of your time for various reasons, technical and game related, so better invest on a Switch to take a break.

Sygma

Isn't Death Stranding going to be on PC too?

EDIT: Perhaps dumb question but I remember reading some months ago in the switch launch thread I think(?) that the grey switch was more prone to issues with I think dc'ing joycons than neon...is that true or no?

I don't know about Death Stranding, sorry

Outside of that of course I forgot Last of Us part 2 and some stuff announced in TGS + not yet announced titles at the PSX but yeah, its going to surely be phenomenal.

Switch won't change you too much from the 30 fps life on ps4, hopefully cutting edge graphics are not too much of a priority for you. It's really your close environment and your preferences that are in account more than the games offered. If you can find value with a console offering multiplayer sessions pretty much wherever and whenever, on top of offering flexibility between handheld and docked, then you know where to go to. Switch is a pretty neat console in all cases, same for ps4

If in the end if you re going to play your Switch more often than not on a TV or a monitor I'd say to get a ps4, simply because of the difference in hardware and a guaranteed follow up in beloved exclusive titles in the upcoming months and well... God of War soon.

With Switch as of now nothing is certain in terms of releases (pokemon, metroid prime etc). Sure they made announcements but that's all we have

Top Bottom