• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch sold 45k units at launch in Spain

The Switch have now the record of the fatest selling home console at launch (3 days) in Spain, previously holded by the PS4 (45k vs ~38k).

- 50000 units shipped, 90% sell-through (45000 units)
- PS4 sold through ~38000 units at launch, 80000 during the first two weeks
- Zelda BotW almost has a 100% attach rate, which has not been seen before on the Spanish market

Home console launch week sales:

Xbox 360 - 14,900
Nintendo Wii - 15,000
PlayStation 3 - 35,000
Nintendo Wii U - 9,000
Xbox One - 15,200
PlayStation 4 - 38,500

Portable console launch week sales:

Nintendo DS - 4,371
PlayStation Portable - 54,224
Nintendo 3DS - 18,808
PlayStation Vita - 21,500
Spain:
Week 9, 2017 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) NSW THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO) - 44,000
02 (NE) PS4 HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 35,000
03 (NE) WIU THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO) - 13,000
04 (NE) NSW 1-2 SWITCH (NINTENDO) - 8,000
05 (01) PS4 FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 4,000

http://www.vandal.net/noticia/1350688288/nintendo-switch-es-el-mejor-lanzamiento-de-consola-de-la-historia-de-espana/

giphy.gif

sarcasm font off

Jacce

Banned
It's so bizarre to see so much negativity around the system at GAF and at the same time seeing it break sales records all over the world.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Awesome news, I really hope this is the start of a decades long unified Nintendo premium handheld/console line.

It's already such a great compliment to my PC.

Vlodril

It's so bizarre to see so much negativity around the system at GAF and at the same time seeing it break sales records all over the world.

i thought it did kinda ok in uk )not even close to ps4 or xbox though) and as well as other consoles in japan.

lherre

Accurate
As I said in the other thread with this info (without any source of course, I mean "vandal" sources) I don't believe the sellthrough. The 45k amount could be true perfectly.

45k of 50 k is a 90% sellthrough so almost any shop won't have any system unless we have a lot of shipments (more than US and Japan). But the reality is that you can buy a Switch almost in any shop at launch and the following days without stock problems so something is a bit strange with the data provided by Vandal.

The weirdest part is that we still see all these claims of "artificial scarcity" when it is breaking all of these records, which suggest that they have done a very good job matching demand for a worldwide launch, which is not an easy feat.

Maybe it's hard to find in the US and a lot of US Gaffers are just projecting.

NSESN

I was more impressed by Zelda Switch beating HZD, didn't expect that to happen in any EU territory not named France.

I see your point, however, launch sales are largely controlled by supply and not by future potential. Nintendo had more supply than it had I past launches. It may yet continue to do fabulously though.

Bruno MB

For reference:

Xbox 360 - 14,900
Nintendo Wii - 15,000
PlayStation 3 - 35,000
Nintendo Wii U - 9,000
Xbox One - 15,200
PlayStation 4 - 38,500

I can't confirm these home console figures are correct though.

Nintendo DS - 4,371
Nintendo 3DS - 18,808

http://tecnologia.elpais.com/tecnologia/2012/03/02/actualidad/1330712509_867026.html

FScg6.png

Spain:

Shiggy

- PS4 sold through 37000 units at launch, 80000 during the first two weeks
- Zelda BotW almost has a 100% attach rate, which has not been seen before on the Spanish market

According to Gaf the 3DS had 0 chance against the Vita...And look what happened.

Can you quote some posts? I was on GAF at that time and fail to remember such posts. Doesn't look like it here for example: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462847 or here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434563

MattXIII

The weirdest part is that we still see all these claims of "artificial scarcity" when it is breaking all of these records.

Maybe it's hard to find in the US and a lot of Gaffers are just projecting.

There are loads of Switches in-stock here in South Africa, but Nintendo home systems have always struggled here.

Maxrunner

As I said in the other thread with this info (without any source of course, I mean "vandal" sources) I don't believe the sellthrough. The 45k amount could be true perfectly.

45k of 50 k is a 90% sellthrough so almost any shop won't have any system unless we have a lot of shipments (more than US and Japan). But the reality is that you can buy a Switch almost in any shop at launch and the following days without stock problems so something is a bit strange with the data provided by Vandal.
In Portugal I ordered from a big retailer and am waiting it to arrive. It's sold out.

grumble

The issues on GAF are low power and limited content. Those points are still valid and feed into each other, as a huge power differential limits third-party ports. I hope it's successful, but it'll take hard work to get a critical mass of content.

- PS4 sold through 37000 units at launch, 80000 during the first two weeks
Thanks for the info, added.

Awesome news, I really hope this is the start of a decades long unified Nintendo premium handheld/console line.

It's already such a great compliment to my PC.

I hope Nintendo keeps winning and ditches the 3DS soon, the earlier they go all in with the Switch, the better it'll be for Nintendo in the long run!

Letting people think, that maybe there is a 3DS successor around the corner is foolish, they probably want to be on the safe side, if Switch "fails", but Nintendo going all in on one single platform is just too good to pass up!!

Alas all that early success probably means that I won't get to buy the Switch for cheap this holiday season ;)

lherre

Accurate
In Portugal I ordered from a big retailer and am waiting it to arrive. It's sold out.

I could go to game or media markt and buy one just now, to say 2 big retailers. Or ask for one in amazon now.

As I said I don't believe the stock and sellthrough.

Asriel

I hope Nintendo keeps winning and ditches the 3DS soon, the earlier they go all in with the Switch, the better it'll be for Nintendo in the long run!

Letting people think, that maybe there is a 3DS successor around the corner is foolish, they probably want to be on the safe side, if Switch "fails", but Nintendo going all in on one single platform is just to good to pass up!!

Alas all that early success probably means that I won't get to buy the Switch for cheap this holiday season ;)

They're not ditching the 3DS anytime soon.

From the other thread, something curious i posted:

Regarding Spain's numbers, Zelda was sold out in almost every physical retailer in Madrid during the weekend. I was able to grab one of the two remaining copies in El Corte Inglés in La Vaguada (the last of all copies in ECI according to their web and the guy who sold me the game).

GAME, MediaMarkt, fnac, and ECI didn't have copies by saturday afternoon.

I think that Carrefour had according to their pick up in-store service, but all Carrefours are in the outskirts of Madrid.

I guess that if Nintendo had supplied more copies of Zelda numbers would be even bigger.

ramparter

Banned
The weirdest part is that we still see all these claims of "artificial scarcity" when it is breaking all of these records, which suggest that they have done a very good job matching demand for a worldwide launch, which is not an easy feat.

Maybe it's hard to find in the US and a lot of US Gaffers are just projecting.

No consoles available: Fuck Nintendo, artificial scarcity shit.

Consoles available: Nintendo doomed, lol are they 3rd party yet?

Bruno MB

By the way, I'm very impressed by Nintendo Switch sales, my best case scenario weeks before its launch was to match or slightly surpass Nintendo 3DS.

NotLiquid

For reference:

Xbox 360 - 14,900
Nintendo Wii - 15,000
PlayStation 3 - 35,000
Nintendo Wii U - 9,000
Xbox One - 15,200
PlayStation 4 - 38,500

I can't confirm these home console figures are correct though.

Nintendo DS - 4,371
Nintendo 3DS - 18,808

http://tecnologia.elpais.com/tecnologia/2012/03/02/actualidad/1330712509_867026.html

FScg6.png

Spain:

So the only console that's had a better launch week than Switch is the PSP?

That's kind of crazy.

By the way, I'm very impressed by Nintendo Switch sales, my best case scenario weeks before its launch was to match or slightly surpass Nintendo 3DS.

I would just love to see a survey and breakdown of reasons why people bought the system. This can't just be the core fanbase that's driving it.

The Wii U sold well at launch too, we need to see how it's supoorted in the next 6 months.

While you're not wrong that the next 6 months are more important, the Switch is selling a lot better than the Wii U (and better than any other console ever in some regions like Spain) and far harder to find in the US than the Wii U was.

I remember walking into Gamestop a few days after the Wii U launched and seeing about 15 boxes just sitting behind the counter. You're not seeing that with the Switch. Though that factors in supply just as much as demand.

Switch also has no further system sellers till Mario.

Mario Kart? MKWii sold what, 35 million?

While you're not wrong that the next 6 months are more important, the Switch is selling a lot better than the Wii U (and better than any other console ever in some regions like Spain) and far harder to find in the US than the Wii U was.

I remember walking into Gamestop a few days after the Wii U launched and seeing about 15 boxes just sitting behind the counter. You're not seeing that with the Switch. Though that factors in supply just as much as demand.

There was much more supply of the Wii U so yeah of course it would be more readily available. They only intend to have 2 million available worldwide by the end of March.

tzare

I would just love to see a survey and breakdown of reasons why people bought the system. This can't just be the core fanbase that's driving it.

i think it is, since Zelda is selling really well and seems the perfect game for both Nintendo fans and core gamers.

Top Bottom