• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switched to android from iOS, immediately miss imessage :(

I actually do think that this is an interesting comparison. Like from what I gather if you could somehow automate a process where overnight every phone would get WhatsApp installed, all of your existing contacts were instantly added to it, and the icon was right where your current SMS/iMessage default app is, everyone would probably adjust instantly and quite possibly be way happier with a superior text chat app. But without that sort of magical rollout, aside from the people that are currently the odd ones out, I think it's just kind of perceived as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I think the metric system faces a similar inertia. "It's more intuitive!" "It's what most of the rest of the world uses!" OK. These are valid points, sure. But most people are satisfied with what they already know. It's pitched as the answer, but the problem is that most people aren't asking the question to begin with.

Given the resources WhatsApp has, they could make this easy and make a push for it. They're huge *and* owned by FB, yes? But FB has been aggressively pushing Messenger (to the point where it wants me to invite every non-app user to install the app every time I message them). They could make this happen. Instead they are competing with their own product.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I said this earlier in the thread. I'm not sure why people can't grasp this.
Sort of. Clearly it is a problem for iOS users switching to Android, except that in their circle they’re the only ones likely affected.
Given the resources WhatsApp has, they could make this easy and make a push for it. They're huge *and* owned by FB, yes? But FB has been aggressively pushing Messenger (to the point where it wants me to invite every non-app user to install the app every time I message them). They could make this happen. Instead they are competing with their own product.
Except that in the US Apple is about on par with android for market share, and they would never allow it. And honestly I’m pretty sure Google wouldn’t either.

I actually do think that this is an interesting comparison. Like from what I gather if you could somehow automate a process where overnight every phone would get WhatsApp installed, all of your existing contacts were instantly added to it, and the icon was right where your current SMS/iMessage default app is, everyone would probably adjust instantly and quite possibly be way happier with a superior text chat app. But without that sort of magical rollout, aside from the people that are currently the odd ones out, I think it's just kind of perceived as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I think the metric system faces a similar inertia. "It's more intuitive!" "It's what most of the rest of the world uses!" OK. These are valid points, sure. But most people are satisfied with what they already know. It's pitched as the answer, but the problem is that most people aren't asking the question to begin with.

People won't read this because you aren't on WhatsApp and thus they will never see it.

Sort of. Clearly it is a problem for iOS users switching to Android, except that in their circle they’re the only ones likely affected.

It would be very interesting to find out how "clumped" the Android/iOS split is. My friends are half and half. But it sounds like there are iOS "enclaves" out there.

Esiquio

Switched to an s8+ after not being impressed by the newest Apple stuff, so figured why not try out android for a year.

But as much as I've enjoyed my short time with this phone, the lack of imessage is a complete killer.

Because there is no way I'm convincing my entire immediate and extended family to download a separate app just to send me funny gifs and videos.

They love me but not that much.

How did you other long term iPhone people adapt?

The second I saw this thread title, I knew what you meant, OP. I had an iPhone for about 9 years before a few month ago when I got my beautiful S8. My solution:

WhatsApp. I only use Verizon's Message+ if I have to, otherwise I just use the hell out of WhatsApp, which is about a hundred times better than iMessage, anyways.

borghe

It would be very interesting to find out how "clumped" the Android/iOS split is. My friends are half and half. But it sounds like there are iOS "enclaves" out there.
Most recent reports have Apple and Android pretty close in the US. And short of some unforeseen landslide likely won’t change for the foreseeable future.
The second I saw this thread title, I knew what you meant, OP. I had an iPhone for about 9 years before a few month ago when I got my beautiful S8. My solution:

WhatsApp. I only use Verizon's Message+ if I have to, otherwise I just use the hell out of WhatsApp, which is about a hundred times better than iMessage, anyways.
I mean..... way to not read even a single post in the 11 pages. Damn.

VoxPop

TBH I'd rather stop messaging altogether than use a Verizon branded messaging app.

Lol @ messaging your entire contact list to download an app and uproot whatever messaging they use with others so you can all talk inside a 3rd party app that no one in the US uses.

But.. but.. they all use it in Europe!

Don't forget being dicks to them when they don't want to.

You backwards assholes! It's all the rage in south America!!

reKon

Banned
The real question is why people don't use Hangouts when literally everyone already uses Gmail many use it for chatting online, lol... Or is that just a US office work cultue thing?

I don't really see the need for anybody to be a dick to anybody here. I don't use WhatsApp because I have no reason to use WhatsApp. But if literally anybody that I actually gave a shit about talking to on a regular basis asked me to try it out because that's what they used, I'd be willing to download the app and check it out. But I'm certainly not going to spearhead the change myself.

American here, use Whatsapp for groups and Google Messages for simple texts. Hangouts with some friends.

Majority of Americans use imessage since so many have iphones and don't care to venture out of the Apple ecosystem.

Boem

It is interesting how many people use someone's messaging service choice as a personal value judgement here. Jeez. Is this what console wars have evolved into? At least back in the day you could fight over Sonic vs. Mario, there was some fun in that, compared to this.

VoxPop

tenor.gif

Really wish Apple would just throw iMessage up as an App on the Android store and make money off of Android users with sticker packs/iMessage apps, etc. I totally get why they don't, but I wish they would.

I just switched away from iPhone after being completely unimpressed with the X and the lack of a uniform texting platform in the US among all devices is pretty annoying.

It is interesting how many people use someone's messaging service choice as a personal value judgement here. Jeez. Is this what console wars have evolved into? At least back in the day you could fight over Sonic vs. Mario, there was some fun in that, compared to this.

It basically just boils back down to iPhone vs. Android, which apparently is a lifestyle choice, and not a choice you would make because you want certain features, etc.

borghe

I mean how segregated those groups are inside the US.

but in this case it doesn't really matter because
a) both groups still message across the same platform (SMS) and
b) switching one group will completely alienate them from the other group

unless do you mean how much do the groups message each other? In which case I would say throughout the day. While probably 90% of my messaging is with iOS users, 10% I would be super frustrated as hell to open up a second app just to talk to.

So... almost everyone.

you are literally making everyone's point against you for them.. Regardless on the rest of the world using it, it's an answer to a question no one in the US is asking. And if I came across needing to contact someone who was primarily a WhatsApp user... which is more likely.. communicating with them where one of us has to download something, or where neither of us has to download anything. Yeah, they can talk to me in their SMS (or iMessage) app that is included on their phone.

Jeremy

This was another thing that was weird to me when I picked up a Verizon S7 edge for a brief period of time. There were multiple messaging apps from Android OS, Google, Verizon and Samsung installed when I got the phone and whenever I would use one, I'd be asked if I wanted to make it my default, and I really had no idea what all the benefits of each were, which one I should be using to just send a god damn text message, etc.

Cipherr

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhatsApp

I guess those 1 billion people are weird then for liking those features?

Now now... you know how people are.. They "don't care about those features" until they get added to their software, and then its AMAZING!

This was another thing that was weird to me when I picked up a Verizon S7 edge for a brief period of time. There were multiple messaging apps from Android OS, Google, Verizon and Samsung installed when I got the phone and whenever I would use one, I'd be asked if I wanted to make it my default, and I really had no idea what all the benefits of each were, which one I should be using to just send a god damn text message, etc.

Its honestly like using a PC. People find out which browser/email client/word processor they want to set as default by trying them and researching. There isn't an app you are 'supposed' to use. Windows and Android both don't work that way. That's an Apple thing. On these two OS's its you who decides which one you like the best, that's why you actually get to set a default app instead of being forced to use Safari as the default and Apple Maps as a default etc.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Most recent reports have Apple and Android pretty close in the US.

The most recent data I can find (Q1 2017) shows Android with 54% market share and iOS at 44%.

The real question is why people don't use Hangouts when literally everyone already uses Gmail many use it for chatting online, lol... Or is that just a US office work cultue thing?

The problem with Hangouts is that it requires the user to have a Google account, and a lot of people don't. Allo, like iMessage or WhatsApp, only requires a phone number, which is definitely an improvement.

DOWN

Banned
It’s weird that the non-American people in the thread don’t get that Europe needed WhatsApp because iPhone doesn’t have the incredible market share there that it has in the US, and Europe is a bunch of small international countries so cell service is not accommodating to that reality. In the USA, most of us have iPhones with a great default app and most people in the continent are in the exact same country as us

We don’t have a need for WhatsApp enough to justify the country near-universally downloading it like non-Americans had to for a decent experience between non-iPhones that are much more prevalent in non-American places.

VoxPop

Now now... you know how people are.. They "don't care about those features" until they get added to their software, and then its AMAZING!

Its honestly like using a PC. People find out which browser/email client/word processor they want to set as default by trying them and researching. There isn't an app you are 'supposed' to use. Windows and Android both don't work that way. That's an Apple thing. On these two OS's its you who decides which one you like the best, that's why you actually get to set a default app instead of being forced to use Safari as the default and Apple Maps as a default etc.

Interesting considering I don't even have Apple Maps installed and use Google Maps on my iPhone as my default maps app. Then again I'm grateful I don't have to download garbage like Package Disabler to get rid of bloatware or have to cycle between 50 different texting apps to find a decent one on my shiny new phone. Which by the way you still have the option of doing.

Interesting considering I don't even have Apple Maps installed and use Google Maps on my iPhone as my default maps app. Then again I'm grateful I don't have to download garbage like Package Disabler to get rid of bloatware or have to cycle between 50 different texting apps to find a decent one on my shiny new phone. Which by the way you still have the option of doing.
Apple includes plenty of crap in their OS that is considered bloatware.

But, fuck Android, I guess?

Canklestank

Neo Member
Defintely not the same thing, OP, but I use Textra which has the ability to use IOS Emojis and send Gifs over SMS. May help the transition a little.

Otherwise, I think you'll have to wait until RCS gains popularity.

Apple may include applications that third parties do a better job of and you can't uninstall.

But they absolutely do not allow carriers (like those shitbags at Verizon) from default installing about ten different bullshit apps that you can't install and duplicate tasks from the manufacturer.

I don't consider the first to be in the same ballpark as the second. And I've used Android, and quite like it, so I'm not being prejudiced. From the manufacturer is the only way to go for me, if at all possible.

VoxPop

Umm it has nothing to do with phone warzzzz. A majority of android phones from carriers comes with a ton of shit on it that no one wants, most of which you can't even get rid of without going through the hassle of rooting or downloading apps that basically just hide them.

but in this case it doesn't really matter because
a) both groups still message across the same platform (SMS) and
b) switching one group will completely alienate them from the other group

unless do you mean how much do the groups message each other? In which case I would say throughout the day. While probably 90% of my messaging is with iOS users, 10% I would be super frustrated as hell to open up a second app just to talk to.

You seem to think I am implying or asserting something. I'm not.

Given the anecdotes in the thread about iOS users having group chats and that one guy that makes it go green-- and subsequently lose enhanced features-- I'm wondering how much of the iOS community is in majority-iOS cliques. In my own circle, people are half and half.But some people seem to have iOS dominant social circles, like the OP, and hence feel pressure to remain on iOS.

I figure this would be interesting to have backed up with data. You yourself run in a 90% iOS crowd. I haven't heard anyone ever talk abotu being in a mostly-Android crowd, although I assume there would have be such groups.

tl/dr: what's more common, groups being mostly homogeneous or heterogeneous?

Umm it has nothing to do with phone warzzzz. A majority of android phones from carriers comes with a ton of shit on it that no one wants, most of which you can't even get rid of without going through the hassle of rooting or downloading apps that basically just hide them.

Stock android lets you disable (aka hide) apps. Starting with 6.0 I think?

Most recent reports have Apple and Android pretty close in the US. And short of some unforeseen landslide likely won’t change for the foreseeable future.

I mean..... way to not read even a single post in the 11 pages. Damn.

In in summary, WTF. American folks don't use watasapp. Back and forth debate. And watasapp is infinitely better. Back and forth. Had an interesting boggled mind moment.

Right am off into divinity 2 as I think my updated is updated. Ciao amigo's!

Ps
you know watasapp makes sense

VoxPop

Stock android lets you disable (aka hide) apps. Starting with 6.0 I think?

It doesn't help there is usually only one line with real stock Android (Pixels) and those don't have to usually deal with carrier bloat anyway from Verizon/ATT/TMobile/etc. I'm not 100% sure about that one either. Do you get Verizon apps if you buy a Pixel through them?

Cipherr

It doesn't help there is usually only one line with real stock Android (Pixels) and those don't have to usually deal with carrier bloat anyway from Verizon/ATT/TMobile/etc. I'm not 100% sure about that one either. Do you get Verizon apps if you buy a Pixel through them?

You are misunderstanding him. You have been able to disable bloatware on Android for several versions now despite whether its an Google phone or not. It's not functionality limited to the Nexus/Pixel line, its Android core functionality.

Esiquio

Haha, yes, exactly! Like I said, I stick to WhatsApp. I only downloaded it because when traveling around Europe this year, I met a ton of international gals and well, international texting is crazy expensive. Plus its just so smooth, and the notifications on Android are awesome. My favorite feature is probably the WhatsApp widget on my first page, and I can scroll through all messages without reading them. I have about...50 unread messages right now, actually. The widgets alone are why I'll probably never go back to Apple.

VoxPop

You are misunderstanding him. You have been able to disable bloatware on Android for several versions now despite whether its an Google phone or not. It's not functionality limited to the Nexus/Pixel line, its Android core functionality.

This has nothing to do with iMessage/WhatsApp though.

Also what's the difference if I just get my friends/family to download Line/Kakao/etc instead of WhatsApp since no one in the US really uses WhatsApp anyway. Has all the same functionality with a better looking UI and are all based on phone number instead of registering for accounts.

I also read just today that WeChat gives all private conversation data to the Chinese government. How do I know a company like Facebook isn't behind data fuckery with all the WhatsApp convo data?

VoxPop

-Buys phone built around custom apps

-Thinks downloading an app is too much effort

It's not a matter of downloading an app. The issue is getting a 100 or so of your contacts to do the same thing and only use that app to chat with. What's the point when my Messages app already does that and can talk to anyone on my contact list?

99Luffy

Banned
-Buys phone built around custom apps

-Thinks downloading an app is too much effort
On one hand I can see how having more than one messaging app being annoying.. Actually no I dont most people I know have iphones and they all have whatsapp.. And snapchat.. And instagram..

reKon

Banned
The most recent data I can find (Q1 2017) shows Android with 54% market share and iOS at 44%.

The problem with Hangouts is that it requires the user to have a Google account, and a lot of people don't. Allo, like iMessage or WhatsApp, only requires a phone number, which is definitely an improvement.

I'm talking US only. Every single person I know has a Gmail account. Probably 95% use it as their main email (other than work email)

Top Bottom