• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online II |OT| Two Years Worth of Anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexa

Pretty good episode albeit a little slow. I expected it move a bit faster but it's fine. I guess they wanted to give Asuna all the screen time possible
cause she has like none
. At least we got to see a bit of Shinon. Can't wait for next week to see more. Animation was also awesome.
Death Gun is fine as a name. It's Japanese. Cheesy random names with English words are their shtick.
Anyone one know how many episodes this season is? I hope they don't do Mother's Rosario and make that a movie instead. It would be better as a movie imo.
This or Mahouka are probably going to be my favorite animes of this year. Woot!

duckroll

Episode 1

Oh man. Kirito is such a STUD. He's focused, balanced, responsible. Oh and look, he has career ambitions! And the government needs his help! And his girlfriend wants to be with him forever! He's not even afraid of playing the toughest new skill based MMO ever, just to find a guy called DEATH GUN (you can tell he's badass and dangerous because of the name!) who is suspected of killing people in the game and causing them to die in.... real life!

Can't hold all these emotions. Anime of the Year. For sure.

Ryuukan

Episode 1

Oh man. Kirito is such a STUD. He's focused, balanced, responsible. Oh and look, he has career ambitions! And the government needs his help! And his girlfriend wants to be with him forever! He's not even afraid of playing the toughest new skill based MMO ever, just to find a guy called DEATH GUN (you can tell he's badass and dangerous because of the name!) who is suspected of killing people in the game and causing them to die in.... real life!

If we played in the same online game world, I would add you to my party

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I enjoyed the first episode and it has that "wow... that 24 minute felt like 10 minutes!" feeling I get when I watch anime I like. It was a good idea to not read GAF and enjoy the show without the weak-ass bitterness stretching reality arguments.

And for the haters:
Episode 1

Cry moar salt! You'll make your top ten list at the end of the year and SAO will be nowhere in site but the world will know what you refuse to acknowledge: Kirito-sama is boss!

:p

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I'll forever remember how much HYPE the s1e1 got me into.
And how badly it backfired.
I'm still watching this in chasing that promise of the show this should have been : (

Yeah the premise of this season really is as dumb as it first sounded to me. It's just lazy writing/the authors inability to come up with a good reason to put the characters in some online world.

So... for the third time in that world the newest VR device leaves the possibility for people to die. I'm still not sure how the governments are so accepting of these fucking games in the first place after what's happened, but apparently they don't even 'really' care about getting it right then at least either.

To the show's defense I guess one could say that this time around these folks aren't 100% certain yet that it's actually happening via the game. In fact, I'd say it doesn't sound too unlikely that the villain may actually kill those players in real life (maybe timed/maybe he just triggers it with some signal). If not that, I suppose it's gonna have to do with certain sensory input that was talked about so much this episode (which is always suspicious since it's the first one and early foreshadowing is cool).

The fact that they're seeking out Kirito for this makes pretty much zero sense (unless that guy hiring him is the bad guy and just interested in testing him/having a nice challenge or so). I mean, unless they actually do consider him to be the God he happens to be in the first season.

The art can be quite pretty still, especially the park area looked real nice.

^okay, enough praise! This can't get out of hand.

So uh I really don't understand why Asuna and Kirito relationship seems to have regressed to the point where it feels like they can't quite even be honest (Kirito about his new job) to one another and are so damn shy.

Wow, that was a pretty disappointing first episode.

Mini-Rant (Semi-Spoiler):
All that talk about "I want to live with Yui" made me want to rip my head off, just fuck like you did in the novel if you want a kid so bad.

Fucking A! These two fucked already. Even if we say that chapter 16.5 isn't anime canon, the implications in the anime episodes where highly suggestive of that. Now what... it's a year after Asuna was freed, which means they know each other for like 3 years or so, and hand holding is still a big deal? May be it's the darn looked down upon "display of affection" in Japan that means we so rarely get a fucking kiss in anime but damn it, it annoys me either way.

And yeh Yui... fuck. I just wish they'd leave that shitty character and everything about it out. It's an AI. Seriously, stop talking about the damn AI and make yourselves some babies if you're so inclined on that.

Overall the episode was obviously rather boring and the pacing was that bad kind of slow, because we got a lot of "tell not show" exposition. Hopefully that'll change quickly.

Oh and here's the moment I was pointing at the screen in disbelief and shaking my head at the author:
LhuWQTM.jpg

What a wonderful first shot of what's going to be one of the major characters. Thanks again for reminding me how highly this show thinks of women. I'm already looking forward to the inevitable Yuri, which must be the main motivation for giving Kirito a female avatar. If there isn't going to be any of that I'll be impressed.

I enjoyed it
for the most part
, it seems slow but its first episode and its setting things up so I can let it slide. Maybee I just enjoy guns and waifus :/

NukeLaser

I can't wait to get home to watch this.

I'm actually going to be watching every week so that I can revel in all of the reactions.

fertygo

I don't buy the
Zexceed dude death by any sec
, my reason?
His VA is too damn popular for dude that dying in first 3 minute

Nope, not gonna buy it.. judging from title teaser, next week is the real start.

I don't buy the
Zexceed dude death by any sec
, my reason?
His VA is too damn popular for dude that dying in first 3 minute

Nope, not gonna buy it.. judging from title teaser, next week is the real start.

He also had that typical 'evil guy' look when they were panning the camera around him for way too long.

On the other hand, the 'real' guy was found dead. So unless there were some login schenanigans, eh.

docbon

This is my first time watching SAO, but from what I see, the premise seems incomprehensibly stupid. I don't have a difficult time suspending disbelief, so the concept of the ~ video game death gun that kills you in real life ~ isn't too hard to swallow. but:

B...before?

The death toll in Aincrad rivals that of several national tragedies, and I'm supposed to accept that the only attempt to mitigate further damage was done on the part of the developers? And that since then, more virtual worlds have popped up, hinting that they've become even more popular despite resulting in the deaths of thousands of people?

Jesus Christ, even under the suspicion of food poisoning, products get recalled, and regulations put in place, but not in SAO. Then there's this gem:

Two people die in the same game, in the same exact manner, within a short time period, but the coroners can't be bothered to be thorough? Especially considering this is a year after the previous VR disaster?

Then there's the fact that they'd rather send Kirito Stu to investigate, instead of shutting down the servers that they HAVE ACCESS TO for the safety of the players.

Everything is so dumb and illogical, but it's all portrayed with such seriousness and lack of self awareness. I... I can't.

4iE5bmP.gif

docbon

Also this episode consisted of 10 minutes of two dudes talking dumb bullshit at a restaurant table, so it was kind of boring too.

New Sao? Can't be as bad as the first season right?

Episode 1

Abe-Simpson-walking-in-and-out-the-.gif

Gradivus

Episode 1

Pretty much how I felt about this Episode as well. :(

Is it worth going through the first season to understand much of this?
I know some of the characters already (I don't remember much of the names besides Asuna/Kirito, but remember some of the faces well enough).

So much negativity surrounding SAO. I will try my hardest to play the role of devil's advocate and the beckon of positivity for Kirito-sama. You're all just jealous of his amazing skillz and girlfriend who loves him and will stay by his side until the ends of the earth despite his bland personality and awful people skills.

Narag

Sorry, I wasn't talking about the Ministry of Internal Affairs specifically. I just meant that the physical location of the servers is already known.

An American business not ceasing operations because two people kindasortamighta died due to a complication from their product is probably the most realistic thing about SAO II!

This is my first time watching SAO, but from what I see, the premise seems incomprehensibly stupid. I don't have a difficult time suspending disbelief, so the concept of the ~ video game death gun that kills you in real life ~ isn't too hard to swallow. but:

...?

You haven't seen the first season? Do yourself the favor and give it a go. If need be, skip through the episodes you dislike. This anime is actually very valuable as it teaches you perfectly how NOT TO DO storytelling, characterization and world building. I've also never WTFed as much at a show as I have at episode 24.

docbon

An American business not ceasing operations because two people kindasortamighta died due to a complication from their product is probably the most realistic thing about SAO II!

nGAXFOC.png

You're probably right.

I kind of want to talk about how these incidents don't occur in a vacuum, but I'm putting way too much thought into a shitty anime as it is.
C0oNB3d.gif

SAOII 1

who the fuck would play an mmo that rebalances shit without a free stat reset? Thats retarded.

Well i guess only suckers would be playing this anyhow

03-gal-gun-ps3-1.jpg

Did asuna age a bunch compare to kirito? Dude is fucking tom cruise. everything makes sense.

death gun lol.

props on the call out of you can pretty much learn about programming and what not from forums. heck you can figure out 90% of shit from stackoverflow for coding problems.

dont get why this dude doesn't just FCC or w/e japan has against apple.

The whole we got servers everywhere is pretty flaky shit. Heck im pretty sure intelligence agencies have 'pro gamers' in WoW and what not. No clue why they need to ask kirito.

ieo2NeBvw3QYu.gif

And by the ending... kirito is gonna go all jedi? at least this looks better than Obiwan vs Jango fett.

Blair

Banned
I haven't read the LN so i don't know, but i really hope the bad guy in this series has an actual motivation and not some cheesy evil shit. Like it would be great if it was just 'Yeah i'm killing these people to steal their money. I want money.'

Episode 1

Kiritos avatar is a girl? lol

fucking Death Gun lmao

Asuna is psychologically damaged

This is going to be a great ride again. I cant wait.

kewlmyc

Dropped it at episode 7 last season and was looking at getting back into it. From this thread, it looks as if I shouldn't.

Episode 1

Duck knows what's up.

Watched the first episode just now.

AotY hands down. One episode in. Forever.

Alfebit

Banned
Episode 1

Oh Kirito-Senpai is so sugoi. -swoon-

Hexa

lol Everyone hating on Kirito's studness.
If you're already complaining there will be a scene (or a combination of several probably) that will make ya'all rage.

-Horizon-

The first episode needed more Sugu! You can't just leave it at only talking about her taking all his dirty clothes to wash D:

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
"The company who manages the game is a secret to everybody."

And yet the Japanese government allows them to convert in-game coins into yen.

lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom