• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiwan Semiconductor (TSMC) warns of potential higher chip prices in the future, particularly for Nvidia chips

GHG

Nvidia Stock Rises. What Taiwan Semi's Earnings Mean for the Chip Maker. — Barrons.com​

Nvidia was gaining early on Thursday, following a positive message about demand for artificial-intelligence chips from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing.

Nvidia shares were up 1% at $848.82 in premarket trading.

The stock closed down 3.9% on Wednesday on a bad day for the semiconductor sector overall after chip-making equipment supplier ASML Holding said first-quarter orders were below expectations.

The latest news about the industry came from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing, the world's largest contract chip maker and a key manufacturer of Nvidia's chips, and it was more reassuring. TSMC said Thursday that its first-quarter revenue was boosted by demand for AI chips.

The Taiwanese company's CEO said AI-related chips should grow to account for more than 10% of TSMC's total revenue this year, increasing to 20% by 2028, according to The Wall Street Journal.

One potential downside for Nvidia is that TSMC strongly hinted on a call with analysts that it would have to raise prices, according to Needham analyst Charles Shi. That could be related to its $65 billion build out of chip-manufacturing plants in Arizona — TSMC founder Morris Chang has warned it might cost at least 50% more to make chips in the U.S. compared with Taiwan. Nvidia has said it expects to eventually source chips from TSMC's U.S. facilities.

Among other chip makers, Advanced Micro Devices was up 0.8% and Intel was up 0.1% in premarket trading.

Nvidia shares have risen 70% so far this year through to Wednesday's close. That compares with a 5.3% rise in the S&P 500 index and a 4.5% rise in the Nasdaq Composite Index over the same period.

Long and short of it, we might be looking at a 50% price increase for Nvidia chips if they start manufacturing them in the US. The good news is that the US factory isn't scheduled to be operational until 2026 at the earliest.

The more you buy, the more you save.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Yikes. We'll just have to hope that other suppliers can catch up with TSMC. Just to be sure we are getting the best prices we can there. Here's to hoping the new Intel fabs are competitive.

The Office No GIF

Kuranghi

I'm still not sure if I should wait for the 50-series or buy a 40 now. Prices still dogshit here in the UK and with the amount of fucked PC ports/versions it also feels like a better choice to just get a PS5 Pro.

I used to love PC gaming but all of the above has me down on it.

Akuji

This looks to me like the next generation of young people is doomed for PC, which would be pretty bad for me since i love the system.
But who exactly as a kid/teen is going to build a PC to play anything other then esport games at this point?
Sure u dont need alot of money to play league of legends or dota 2. But if you wanna play the big new games u simply just cant affort it.
Alternative is to play on Console.

We're already at a point that if the PS5 Pro comes i probably switch myself ...
Ashes of creation is the game that will me have build a big PC, maybe one last time ...

DaGwaphics

The issue is that they completely dominate the space at the moment and they are only increasing their market share as time goes on:

20mOGcS.jpeg

I knew it was bad, but hadn't realized it was that bad. The other players haven't been able to keep up on the technology front, it makes them the premier destination for the latest chips. It seems like centuries ago that GF was on a level playing field with them tech wise.

Reactions: GHG

SHA

I'm still not sure if I should wait for the 50-series or buy a 40 now. Prices still dogshit here in the UK and with the amount of fucked PC ports/versions it also feels like a better choice to just get a PS5 Pro.

It's not a perfect choice either imo, past 4 years later and the pro gonna be inferior to Ps6 and has shorter lifespan, that's a bit unfair for a 4 years old console.

hinch7

There are some good deals to be had with current GPU's. XFX's 7900XT is going for £630 on Ebuyer. 4070Ti's, Supers, 7800 XT and 7900 GRE can be had for pretty good prices too. I'd probably wait though as RDNA 4 is around the corner, as with Battlemage. And the 5080 and 90 by the end of the year.

If you aren't invested in PC games or gaming it might be worth just going for the Pro and making do with what you have.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The issue is that they completely dominate the space at the moment and they are only increasing their market share as time goes on:

20mOGcS.jpeg
What’s truly scary is if CCP invades Taiwan, Purple and Red colors are Taiwan and China so won’t be available. And the orange is SK so most likely shipping will be blocked.

West should really hope new chip factories, and not just for wafers, will be coming online in US and EU otherwise we are all f-d and not just due to lack of gaming products.

That's quite a weird pie chart...
Even without China invading, China's market share will increase, since they are forced to make their own things happen and seem to have some success already. And I guess the US and Europe already invested in getting some capacity out of that tiny island.

//DEVIL//

They can fuck off then. Less money from me and more in my bank.

As if the devs are awesome and developing games that take advantage of this high power. All we are getting is ray tracing because devs these days are idiots.

Not only I don't give a fuck, my 4090 didn't even have a proper use of high end gaming probably since I got it.

Just higher frames of the same game that can run fine on a 3080.
You can keep your shit TSMC.

" We warn you ! We will increase the price because we are greedy"

Yeah fuck off .

Last edited:

kiphalfton

You're getting fucked on price because the US government wants people to get fucked on price

Sounds about right. Will probably be homeless by 2030 at this rate.

MikeM

RTX 5090 starting at $2,499 US? Lol RIP to other countries with import tax and shit currency exchange rates.

bbeach123

I knew it was bad, but hadn't realized it was that bad. The other players haven't been able to keep up on the technology front, it makes them the premier destination for the latest chips. It seems like centuries ago that GF was on a level playing field with them tech wise.
If you only count marketshare from bleeding edge chip (10nm and under) its even worse .

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
If nvidia started charging $5000 for the RTX 5090, would that make scalping better (with less scalpers able to afford them) or would it just make it worse? (Scalpers buying them to try to make crazy profits )

Last edited:
Hmm increasing prices for GPUs that high (50% on what they already are) will likely put them out of reach for the overwhelming majority I would imagine.

Who else would be the target audience for gaming GPUs? If that ends up being the case I'll consider moving to AMD to see if they offer better value.

unlurkified

Then suddenly China invades Taiwan, crazy USA neocons destroy all TSMC factories, and TSMC value crashes by 1000% overnight.
This is sadly true. They have contingency plans where they blow up the factories in the case of a CCP invasion. Even if they didn’t, China doesn’t have the technical know how to operate them. Operation would have to continue under agreement which doesn’t seem likely.

It’s crazy, TSMC is literally the achilles heel of the world economy. If they go down, the world economy would be thrown into a tailspin.

Last edited:

YCoCg

TSMC: This could increase the cost by like $30-40
Nvidia: You mean $500 right 😏

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Note to self, when I get my new job invest in TSMC.

Surely you mean Nvidia stock?
VueXdaK.png

cC9sral.png

If you skimped on that 40 series card and instead bought Nvidia stock, Nvidia would have paid you to get a 50 series card and you would still be eartning cuz that Nvidia stock aint dropping any time soon, as long as people keep fawning over AI this and AI that.

iHaunter

Not to get political but Biden did sign a bill to build some in the US. But it takes so much time to build these facilities it'll take a while.

simpatico

I've mostly convinced myself to give ATI Radeon graphics another shot unless the 5000 series makes a lot of sense. This would just make it easier. If Intel Battlemage rumors are true for price and perf, things get even more interesting. Nvidia doesn't need the gaming market anymore and you see it in their pricing and GPU specs.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
This won't take effect for 2+ years and likely won't be for normal consumer graphics cards.

Also this is TSMC's chairman having a cry because the USA strong armed them into building a US plant.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
no worries, their PC customer is going to eat it up, they can keep raising double or tripe and they will still earn alot of profit.

Top Bottom