• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TALES FROM MY ASS: Durango rumors discussed by anonymous source

I think the GAF remarks were directed to the people who were acting as if the EDGE rumors were fact and almost wanted them to be true...which there was a lot of. I don't think he's talking about the members that were just showing dislike of the always-online motive, just those who want to believe the negative rumors and throw out any positive ones as "damage control".

AwRy108

I wonder if he realizes there aren't even very many games on the Windows 8 Store for Indie developers to think Windows 8 is a friendly developer platform.

So true.

PS3 launched with 100% PS2 BC, how did that turnout for them?

the average consumer isn't buying nex gen consoles to play games for system they already own

The average consumer was very different 7-8 years ago, too. The 360 is still selling incredibly well, so full, effortless BC would be a great means of bridging the upgrade gap seen by "average" consumers. Also, I would think that 100% BC would be extremely beneficial to studios who aren't able to shoulder the risk of developing exclusively on a brand new console with a small install base.

In any event, I don't believe any of this--it's all speculation until the info. comes directly from MS.

Omikaru

4d7220335f is actually hex. As a text string, it's Mr 3_

My gut feeling is saying this person is just playing games, and this is a hoax. The always-online thing annoys me, so I want it to be fake, but there's no way to verify this. On the other hand, Edge and Kotaku both claim their sources can be verified and are trustworthy. I know that's not much more reliable, but at least we know those sites are in a position to receive, verify and disseminate leaks whilst maintaining the leaker's anonymity. On the flip side, anyone can just upload any old crap to pastebin and tweet a few prominent NeoGAF members, and I get the feeling this is an instance of that.

Would like to be proven wrong, however.

leadbelly

Banned
The "fanboy" comment makes me believe this isn't true. People believed the always online rumor because a reputable source like EDGE reported it, not because they were "fanboys."

Well, the 'fanboy' comment doesn't make any sense. Fanboys of what exactly?

I've always qualified my statements with 'if' anyway. And just because it sounds stupid, it doesn't mean it isn't true. When a lot of rumours circulate in the way they have, you have to at least take notice of them.

This bit of information could be bullshit as well. It would be stupid to believe everything this guy says. Although, I've never really understood why someone would take the time to post completely false information like this. It seems pointless to me.

Krilekk

Banned
Are the rumored durango specs + 360 really analagous to the PS4? Doesn't seem like it would be enough to offset 8GB GDDR5.

8 GB GDDR5 is overkill. There's just no use for it with the CPU and GPU that's in the PS4. The only reason why it's there is because Sony found out that Microsoft has 8 GB and had to equal it. Having 4 GB GDDR5 and 4 GB DDR3 would've meant a complete system redesign and loss of unified RAM, so they only had the choice to go to 8 GB GDDR5. Which is costly and not needed.

The Lamp

Wireless batteries are back? Seriously Microsoft? I've had my six axis controllers for almost 6 years now and they still go a full day on a charge. Why no standard rechargeable solution?

Hoo-doo

Banned
People on GAF get banned for dropping "inside knowledge" that is completely unsourced and the poster is not at least confirmed legit by a mod.
I guess that's his problem with GAF in a nutshell. I doubt any of this is true.

8 GB GDDR5 is overkill. There's just no use for it with the CPU and GPU that's in the PS4. The only reason why it's there is because Sony found out that Microsoft has 8 GB and had to equal it. Having 4 GB GDDR5 and 4 GB DDR3 would've meant a complete system redesign and loss of unified RAM, so they only had the choice to go to 8 GB GDDR5. Which is costly and not needed.

:lol

Yes, the one thing developers have been fucking clamoring for over the entire last generation is now overkill. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wouldn't the extra SoC jack up the price to a ridiculous level?

Goldmund

Maybe I'm not remembering things correctly, -- but I could have sworn that it was confirmed that the old Xbox 360 pads weren't compatible with the new console. If virtually no changes have been made to the pad and the new console sports 100% backwards compatibility, why is that?

GavinGT

Banned
4d7220335f is actually hex. As a text string, it's Mr 3_

images

Leaker is Jim Carrey confirmed.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Why even switch to AMD x86? Putting a 360 SOC just adds cost and complexity.

If the reason for x86 is to leverage off of Windows 8 Microsoft is crazy.

DemonNite

Funny. The stuff I've been hearing that popped up on my radar 2 weeks ago (after GTC) are not mentioned here. I know who I rather listen to and its not this pastebin post.

Phawx

Since Oban is using 6670 gpu, perhaps the 'added horsepower' comes from running the two gpus in a crossfire config? Basically omitting IBMs PowerPC arch during 'Durango mode'.

Those PowerPCs chips are pretty craptastic nowadays anyway. Whereas that 6670 part in oban could ratchet up it's frequency to be on par with Durango's gpu.

Also this might be a reason why Durango is using DDR because Oban's SoC ram would be based on DDR. What I mean is, if you have two gpus with 2GB of VRAM, you don't have 4GB of VRAM, you have 2GB of VRAM.

Perkel

Banned
Maybe I'm not remembering things correctly, -- but I could have sworn that it was confirmed that the old Xbox 360 pads weren't compatible with the new console. If virtually no changes have been made to the pad and the new console sports 100% backwards compatibility, why is that?

And the price because it will also come with kinect...

Yeah BS imo

Garjon

Surely fake, it's just a basic extrapolation of what we already know.

Plus, he claims to work in software yet doesn't know anything about its software. Also, I doubt a full time employee at Microsoft would ever use the word 'fanboy' while leaking information.

Pathetic.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I don't believe it but be great if was true. It would really be a great olive branch to the core gamers. It would really build up the trust of the XBLA eco system knowing games would be fully playable on the durango. Just don't see how they could pull it off with out adding to much to the price of the machine.

DieH@rd

Banned
I dont care about random pastebin accounts. He should have contacted kotaku/eurogamer/vgleaks and then hoped that they recive 2nd confirmation from somebody.

x360 SoC sounds fake to me, but Win8 supports sounds like I though it would be. The only question remains, will Win8 have access only to 1-2 CPU cores and 2gb of ram?

Surely fake, it's just a basic extrapolation of what we already know.

Plus, he claims to work in software yet doesn't know anything about its software. Also, I doubt a full time employee at Microsoft would ever use the word 'fanboy' while leaking information.

Pathetic

Umm, have you seen the way devs/execs in the game industry can talk? I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

surly

Banned
Wireless batteries are back? Seriously Microsoft? I've had my six axis controllers for almost 6 years now and they still go a full day on a charge. Why no standard rechargeable solution?
Eneloops > built in rechargeable batteries. But if you have a 360 you could have just bought a play and charge kit and it would work just like the PS3 controller, minus the stupidly short cable.

Alchemy

More memory is never a bad thing. There are plenty of ways you can use excess memory to lessen the load on the CPU/GPU just by storing the same data in different data structures for faster searching and accessing. Programs don't need access to 100% of their RAM at all times, it just needs to sit there precomputed for when it is needed.

Top Bottom