• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts R North American Pre-Order Bonuses Revealed

kng3025

I hope so, I cancelled my GS order immediately once I saw I could get it from their store using amazon.

Hmm, could you kindly send me the link for buying it off their store? I try to avoid GameStop as much as possible, but when I went to their store hearing that they use Amazon to ship the game, I was given a link to GameStop.

zulux21

Hmm, could you kindly send me the link for buying it off their store? I try to avoid GameStop as much as possible, but when I went to their store hearing that they use Amazon to ship the game, I was given a link to GameStop.

here you go

for the record you get free shipping with amazon prime, but normal free shipping methods aren't there aka even though the game is over $35 unless you have amazon prime you won't get free shipping, instead it will be like $4 for shipping, but it's treated as a third party seller so even though amazon charges tax (in half of the states) they likely won't be charging tax on your order from the bandai store.

Ekid

So how will be the translation in the end ?

I vaguely remember reading here that it was gonna be pretty awful.

kng3025

here you go

for the record you get free shipping with amazon prime, but normal free shipping methods aren't there aka even though the game is over $35 unless you have amazon prime you won't get free shipping, instead it will be like $4 for shipping, but it's treated as a third party seller so even though amazon charges tax (in half of the states) they likely won't be charging tax on your order from the bandai store.

Thanks a lot! Managed to pre-order it. Fortunately I have prime, so free shipping for me. It says the game would be available on the 7th instead of the 11th, we get it at few days early I'm assuming?

fedexpeon

Banned
I don't want to buy this at GS, are we sure we are going to get the preorder bonuses if we buy it directly from their website/Amazon?

koutoru

I was under the impression that everyone including Bandai wanted to forget the existence of Tales of Tempest but I guess not.

Bladenic

I was under the impression that everyone including Bandai wanted to forget the existence of Tales of Tempest but I guess not.

thats what it seemed like but then they kept including the characters in spinoff or cameo appearances and costumes. ugh

SeanTSC

Horribly liberal in those instances at least.

You know, I don't mind liberal translations when it's accompanied by English voice work, but liberal translations over Japanese-only audio is really jarring. Especially when you know enough to understand a good bit of what they're saying. Voice-Text-Brain -> Explode.

RangerBAD

You know, I don't mind liberal translations when it's accompanied by English voice work, but liberal translations over Japanese-only audio is really jarring. Especially when you know enough to understand a good bit of what they're saying. Voice-Text-Brain -> Explode.

Yup.

Foffy

Banned
No VA at all? Not even for skits? Hype deflating.

Be more deflated that despite there being no dub, they renamed the whole cast...for whatever reason.

Wrap your head around that; you'll be hearing a language that doesn't even refer to any of the characters to the names given in text. The translation is looking to be a mess.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Be more deflated that despite there being no dub, they renamed the whole cast...for whatever reason.

Wrap your head around that; you'll be hearing a language that doesn't even refer to any of the characters to the names given in text. The translation is looking to be a mess.

I don't really see why this is a big deal myself, but I most of guess the fanbase for this game will know enough Japanese for it to be annoying.

The voice acting will be nothing but noise to me, I wouldn't be able to make out the names regardless. If there is an option I'll probably just turn it off.

Pics_nao

Who does Namco use to ship? I forgot this was gamestop exclusive. I probably should get it digitally since I already have the physical for the jp version anyway.

Dio

Banned
I don't really see why this is a big deal myself, but I most of guess the fanbase for this game will know enough Japanese for it to be annoying.

The voice acting will be nothing but noise to me, I wouldn't be able to make out the names regardless. If there is an option I'll probably just turn it off.

- Hisui’s line before the fight is incredibly off in tone. He sounds pretty angry and determined in his voicework, but is cracking silly jokes and sounding flippant in the translated line. This wouldn’t be a huge problem if there were a dub, but given that there isn’t, it’s a huge deal when you can tell something is off about the translation without even having to know any Japanese. For reference, what he’s really saying is, roughly, “I’m gonna kick this damn earthworm’s ass and take back Kohaku’s Spirune!” Was it so difficult to write something along those lines? What is the need for completely changing the feel of the line? Did the editor even know that the game wouldn’t be dubbed when he wrote the line? How was this not caught during testing, especially if they went ahead and made a trailer out of the scene?

A rough, somewhat stilted translation, switching his ludicrous Engrish to Spanish to give you an idea: “The ability to figure out loopholes in the rules… Intelligence! ADEMÁS! That which I trained beyond my limits by taking ample advantage of my fount of money and free time… Strength! And finally… what allowed me to arrive at the peak by airship just as my rivals were feeling the effects of fatigue… Timing! I, who possess all three, am surely the one most fit to be crowned with the title, REY DE LOS HÉROES!”

Hisui then says, “What do you mean, hero? You’re just a cowardly kook!” The key point here is the flow. Hisui isn’t just insulting him in passing; he’s specifically drawing attention to the fact that bypassing the entire trial with an airship is cowardly and cheap.

Amethyst responds with: “You don’t understand… To so boldly enact such a cowardly plan in fact takes an incredible amount of courage!” A sound effect accentuates the crux of his argument. It’s extremely silly, but it flows. The way the script in the trailer has it, his argument about him having an abundant amount of courage is completely non sequitur.

Hisui says he’s dethroned, and then Amethyst says he has a lot of courage. ??? Okay, so? This kind of flow preservation is really important to have the dialogue make proper sense.

These kind of things will bug me more than the name changing thing, easily, since it's easily apparent without knowing Japanese that there's something wrong there.

flohen95

I'd guess that the translator/editor translated/edited the game same as every Tales game, where they take liberties. Obviously that's a flaw when there's no dub, but I can kinda see how it happened.

Also, luckily, I won't be bothered by that as I'll likely play this without the dub if you can turn it off, will just ignore the dub or will play without volume entirely, since it's a handheld game and I don't always have headphones with me. I don't exactly hate Japanese dubs, but I can definitely do with out 'em. Gets annoying to me after a while. And I assume, since it was a DS game, that the original did not have extensive voice acting to begin with, so I won't be losing much.

Bladenic

The one thing I can't wrap my head around is why call him Kor when the VA will be calling him Shing. Why change his name at all?

kng3025

Who does Namco use to ship? I forgot this was gamestop exclusive. I probably should get it digitally since I already have the physical for the jp version anyway.

I believe they're using Amazon now. Managed to pre-order a copy via prime not too long ago.

So, no one can confirm we will get the bonuses by ordering with Namco/Amazon site =(?

Would like to know this as well. Asked before but didn't get an answer so I'm guessing most likely not.

Top Bottom