• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

SaintZ

Wait @ the Zestiria anime being kind of amazing.

The animation was gorge. How long is this gonna be? Because those were some high production values.

I really liked it storywise too.

It was interesting to see Lunarre pre transformation. Although they didn't explain why he was able to change suddenly. His fight against Symonne was cool, but weren't they on the same side? Alisha being able to survive all the destruction... she was so lucky. Why wasn't this mentioned in the game though? A town being completely obliterated seems kind of relevant.

So I guess this is how Alisha ends up in the ruins at the beginning of the game? They never mention how she got there in the first place lol. It hasn't been that long since I played Zestiria but I barely remember anything from it.

Yazuka

Wait @ the Zestiria anime being kind of amazing.

Yeah, they where on the same side in the game. I just think he tried to show her was stronger or something. I guess they'll work together when Lord of Chaos is stronger or something.

I agree it was cool seeing his human form. But his transformation happened so suddenly. It gave me the impression he was already a monster but was hiding it and decided to stop hiding. Hope the elaborate on that in coming episodes. And yeah, yikes! Alisha really went trough a lot. I'm glad they are fleshing out her character too.

Bladenic

Yeah, they where on the same side in the game. I just think he tried to show her was stronger or something. I guess they'll work together when Lord of Chaos is stronger or something.

I agree it was cool seeing his human form. But his transformation happened so suddenly. It gave me the impression he was already a monster but was hiding it and decided to stop hiding. Hope the elaborate on that in coming episodes. And yeah, yikes! Alisha really went trough a lot. I'm glad they are fleshing out her character too.

I mean this episode could be a fluke but I feel that they definitely wrote it to appease the fans of the character due to the game's criticisms. Hopefully the character receives more screen time than the game overall.

Yazuka

I mean this episode could be a fluke but I feel that they definitely wrote it to appease the fans of the character due to the game's criticisms. Hopefully the character receives more screen time than the game overall.
I hope it's more than a fluke. But you never know, I guess I'll just keep hoping. But it was a good first episode, I'm looking forward to see more. I'm already feeling like I want to play the game again.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Ugh, my country is definitely one of the ones on one-week delay, damn. Well, it is free to view on Daisuki, looking forward to it then.

I wonder why the delay.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Wow I was impressed by the animation of the show and the story while the pacing was at breakneck speed seems interesting. How long will this be?

Bladenic

Wow I was impressed by the animation of the show and the story while the pacing was at breakneck speed seems interesting. How long will this be?

Apparently it's a two part series. Thirteen episodes this summer and another twelve this winter. Namco really going all out for this, it seems. Perhaps the second series is more Berseria focused?

Vazra

Tales of Vesperia talk still in 2016. Such an overrated game. Sure the game looks pretty and the characters were good but the characters animations have aged poorly and the story is forgettable. People need to let that go at this point.

Vazra

Another good episode for Zesty anime and now we into the game.
9d2f21dcff.gif

Cornbread78

If you haven't been watching, this week's and next weeks episodes of Tales of Zestiria the X are crossing over and introducing Berseria.

Reset

I just finished Xillia 2 a few days ago, so time to update the rankings of the Tales series.
1.Abyss
2.Hearts R
3.Graces F (Main Game)
4.Xillia 2
5.Xillia
6.Phantasia
7.Symphonia
8.Graces F (Lineage of the Future)

It's easily the better game compared to Xillia. It doesn't have an annoying protagonist, he's easily the most fun character to play as from the Xillia roster, and I found the story to be more interesting in this game. Sure it has some downsides like there being hardly any new places to visit despite another world opening up for you, the dialogue choices not mattering until the very end, and the main character not speaking until the end. But Ludger is still far more interesting than and the better protagonist than Jude/Milla.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Tales of Vesperia talk still in 2016. Such an overrated game. Sure the game looks pretty and the characters were good but the characters animations have aged poorly and the story is forgettable. People need to let that go at this point.

*Pulls out his copy to check the animation for himself*

G8xwi3ghEd02c.gif

Celcius

°Temp. member
Has there been any more news of more older Tales of games coming to Steam? I never played Abyss but it seems to get lots of praise so would want to check it out.

Has there been any more news of more older Tales of games coming to Steam? I never played Abyss but it seems to get lots of praise so would want to check it out.
Emulators will be your best bet. PC is a afterthought for BN, the chances of getting the older games is only possible if there is a current gen port for PS4,NX etc and then they decided to port the port to PC.

HGN Berseria is so close...only a few hours left.
I so want to play this right at midnight JST but I won't be able to for another 3 hours after this because I'm visiting family...But you know that once I get the chance to get back home, I'll do it and keep playing until I need to go to sleep.
I'M SO EXCITED!

Cornbread78

Finally going back to playing ToX2 and was doing great until I got to the chapter 5 boss the
lightning orb
and it just keeps whiping the party...wtf

jonno394

Got a 4K TV a few days back and switched my Tales of Zestiria resolution to 4K and my word it looks great at 4K and runs at 60fps to boot too on my GTX 1060.

Think i'm near the end of the game now
just collected the last of the iris gems
, enjoyed this a lot. I know a lot of you guys don't seem to rate it, but this is my first Tales game and it's been a blast!

Levyne

Banned
Got a 4K TV a few days back and switched my Tales of Zestiria resolution to 4K and my word it looks great at 4K and runs at 60fps to boot too on my GTX 1060.

Think i'm near the end of the game now
just collected the last of the iris gems
, enjoyed this a lot. I know a lot of you guys don't seem to rate it, but this is my first Tales game and it's been a blast!

I''m actually playing it right now, and I've been enjoying it too. I heard it was like the worst thing ever but I'm liking it far more than what I saw of Graces or either Xillia. I'm only like 10 hours in though.

Levyne

Banned
I'm just now entering the final dungeon. My thoughts I guess. (Zestiria)

I had heard that this was an awful entry. Like "any other Tales released in the last decade" would have been better. And while the game has not really been stellar, it's been familiar and safe. I'm not sure what was so awful about it that people took poorly compared to recent games.

But then, at the same time, it's merely been okay. Which is fine! I'm still having fun.

The themes of burden and finding your answer seems kinda heavy-handed, which is okay I guess, but also very vague which is not. Half of the skits (at least the serious ones) seem to be having the characters taking very nuanced stances on situations that seem to not require them. I can't really put it into words very well, but basically I felt like they were treating every situation like it was the most serious thing ever.

I don't really like the armor system at all. I'm kind glad it's not just a straight town-to-town linear upgrade, but something about the implementation just seems very messy. I end up with a half dozen of each pair of shoes or earrings or whatever, and fusing largely seems pointless because by the time to fuse a decent pair of amber boots or whatever, eventually you get a much better base pair. Though I'm sure the post game will require more micromanagement of the system. It was the right idea but I think just a rough execution. It would have been nicer if there was more fusion freedom and fewer armor/equipment drops. And less randomized shops.

The story is pretty safe tales fair I guess. I don't really have any criticisms. It's cheesy and safe and fine.

I love being able to use and switch into all the characters in a given battle. I dunno if that sort of system was in other games that I skipped, but it's super nice not having to go into menus and click swap click swap.

All in all. A good time. If Berseria has a strong reception when it comes over, I'll probably get that one too.

Xillia introduced the ability to switch out characters in battle because each character as your link partner had a specific ability that matched up with certain enemies if linked with IE in Xillia the mage character would grant you auto magic guard if linked with him so if you got into a battle with a lot of mages you'd want to sub him in.

KiraXD

suuuuuuuper disappointed in Berseria. How Tales went graphically from Vesperia, and slowly declined from there is beyond me. Is Berseria a multi-gen game? because the PS4 version straight up looks like PS3... the models look a little better (but a far cry from the anime cel-shading i WISH they went back to.) But everything else in this game looks like garbage.

Sucks because i LOVE the Tales games... just finished Xillia (350hours) just started Xillia 2... but so far, what ive played and seen of Berseria... well... hope the story is good, because it makes me sad to look at. :/

V44JUff.png

NRU5525.png

L929ymc.png

nKsocEG.png

FSLink

Banned
suuuuuuuper disappointed in Berseria. How Tales went graphically from Vesperia, and slowly declined from there is beyond me. Is Berseria a multi-gen game? because the PS4 version straight up looks like PS3... the models look a little better (but a far cry from the anime cel-shading i WISH they went back to.) But everything else in this game looks like garbage.

Sucks because i LOVE the Tales games... just finished Xillia (350hours) just started Xillia 2... but so far, what ive played and seen of Berseria... well... hope the story is good, because it makes me sad to look at. :/

It's a multi-gen game.
Is that just from the demo or do you have it? Because I remember being relatively unimpressed with the demo's locales for Berseria but in the actual game there's some pretty nice areas overall early on.

KiraXD

It's a multi-gen game.
Is that just from the demo or do you have it? Because I remember being relatively unimpressed with the demo's locales for Berseria but in the actual game there's some pretty nice areas overall early on.

its the demo... i really hope it gets bumped up but being a multi-gen... i dont have much hope... i just hope the story is good. Characters look awesome (im so superficial) so thats a plus... but... im so sad the art direction of these games has declined imo.

FSLink

Banned
its the demo... i really hope it gets bumped up but being a multi-gen... i dont have much hope... i just hope the story is good. Characters look awesome (im so superficial) so thats a plus... but... im so sad the art direction of these games has declined imo.
The game's already out in Japan, so it's not gonna get bumped up.

Outside of the art style which is a preference, Berseria looks better overall in the actual game. Story and characters are great too from what I understand (Most people with better Japanese skills than me in the GAF Berseria import thread say it's pretty great).

I don't remember seeing the demo areas yet but I'm not too far into my import copy. But most of the other areas I've seen look much nicer than the demo ones.

KiraXD

Thank god there are more to games than just graphics lol

no, i agree... it just makes me sad that it looks the way it does. cant i be disappointed in that? I would love for a new Tales game to go back to straight cel-shading of Vesperia using todays hardware... it would (..well.. COULD) look phenomenal.

aravuus

no, i agree... it just makes me sad that it looks the way it does. cant i be disappointed in that? I would love for a new Tales game to go back to straight cel-shading of Vesperia using todays hardware... it would (..well.. COULD) look phenomenal.

Oh sure, I don't like the graphics myself either. I just thought saying a game is suuuuper disappointing just because of the bad graphics was a bit funny.

Vesperia is by far the best looking Tales game.

aitakute

It has one of the best, if not THE best story and casts in the series

Fisico

It's actually a PS3 game first and foremost, more optimized for that than Zestiria was. But don't fret, the next Tales game won't be on PS3 anymore.

Can we expect some huge graphical leap because of that ?
I don't, the way Bamco manage their series make it clear they don't really want to improve the budget the Tales team has, and it's not like the game couldn't already look miles better on PS3, the problem does not really lie with the hardware.

Probably we will have 60fps be the norm again, better draw distance, better resolution, post processing graphics etc. but the core graphics probably won't improve that much imo (if they stick to the same art style that is).

We have yet to see what Julien Merceron involvement with Bamco will turn out to be, but I'm not sure we should expect something huge for the Tales IP

Datschge

Can we expect some huge graphical leap because of that ?
Depends on whether you think Symphonia/Abyss to Vesperia was a "huge graphical leap". Regarding graphical features Tales lags one gen. Stuff that's hard to implement right one gen often is basic stuff the next gen, so not having to worry about the past gen anymore no longer drives up the cost for using them. (As by this point assets creation is essentially fully outsourced the involved contract companies like FlightUNIT that most certainly are familiar with new tech already it's the downporting that may come with additional cost now).

We have yet to see what Julien Merceron involvement with Bamco will turn out to be, but I'm not sure we should expect something huge for the Tales IP
The only way Merceron is involved in Tales is through standardized tools that will be used by every Bandai Namco project anyway.

So what would say are the best version of the games from Destiny up til Hearts?

Destiny: ps2 directors cut
Eternia: psp version for portability ps1 version for no game breaking bug
Destiny 2: ps2 or psp same game
Rebirth: ps2 or psp same game
Symphonia: gc for 60 fps, ps3 for more bonus content
Legendia: only on ps2
Abyss: 3ds
Vesperia: ps3
Graces: ps3
Tempest: only on ds
Innocence: vita
Hearts: ds

Destiny: ps2 directors cut
Eternia: psp version for portability ps1 version for no game breaking bug
Destiny 2: ps2 or psp same game
Rebirth: ps2 or psp same game
Symphonia: gc for 60 fps, ps3 for more bonus content
Legendia: only on ps2
Abyss: 3ds
Vesperia: ps3
Graces: ps3
Tempest: only on ds
Innocence: vita
Hearts: ds
Agree but I remember tod2 and tor on psp having some slowdown in battle, on the flip side it's portable. Tor psp have some minor extra content that I can't remember too.

Agree but I remember tod2 and tor on psp having some slowdown in battle, on the flip side it's portable. Tor psp have some minor extra content that I can't remember too.

Fair enough I had always heard they were like the Eternia port but good to know. I'd say whichever way is easier for you to play after importing (and maybe one day whichever gets a fan translation for easy play :X)

Top Bottom