• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria debut trailer in high quality

Seriously, the main character was looking so badass from the waist down, and then it went further up to show the rest lol. Let's hope he gets an artistic reworking. Dude doesn't look anywhere quite as badass as Yuri did.

I don't get this perspective that dude needs to look badass.

I mean, from the design and basic character personality outline, they're clearly aiming for a character with a stronger adolescence spirit, someone who's youthful, bright...out of all the character 'feel' that Slay is going for, it's obvious he's much closer towards the likes of Lloyd/Stahn/Reid compared to Yuri.

Does he look bland with a relatively uninspiring design? No questions there, he feels like a mix of rejected designs from previous Tales + Ah My Goddess. But the character is obviously not designed to be the next Yuri.

Toski

The male protagonist looks like Link from SS and Connor from AC3 smashed together. I'm also disappointed with the return of the sterile Xillia artstyle, oh well. I'll get it day one if its decent enough.

True, but his design is still pretty bland.
I do agree with that.

I don't judge things negatively other than by what I specifically find negative about them.
If someone criticizes something I don't like, I'm not going to agree with them just because I don't like it as well.

Syril

What's with the colors? The landscapes look fine, but the characters and creatures in that video look washed out. Vesperia's celshading made this series' anime style look really good. Why did they never do that again?

Labadal

I will buy it day one but:

It looks bland. Both characters and enviroments. I know we haven't seen much but the field they were running through gave me "Tales of Xillia bland fields" vibes.

Character design of the two characters have good and bad things about them. Look like they tried to blend the style of Graces with Xillia.

Hoping the combat is slightly more like Graces than Xillia and I'm hoping the title system comes back.

On a technical graphics level, the game doesn't seem to be a huge improvement over other Tales games, although there was actually grass on the field.

Cut scenes will most probably look great.

Also, narrative.

Grandia would be a totally different game ( and for the worse, imo ) if Justin, Sue and Feena were badass.
Narrative is very important. And also as to whether how fitting "badass" characters are.

I would rather have well developed characters than badass characters.
Though now that you've said that, I kind of want a Japanaese RPG about a badass Sue.

Hyped !

zesty2tyuto.gif

Dat combat system!

Loved the combat in Xillia, and here it seems like more improved combat system from Xillia.

I would rather have well developed characters than badass characters.

Agreed.

I've always told my Tales-friends that 9 out of 10 times, I'd rather Luke than Yuri. ( not character personality, but the breadth of their development throughout the game )

Though now that you've said that, I kind of want a Japanaese RPG about a badass Sue.

She needs to be older though. :p

I really liked how Grandia, for most parts, took note of the fact that Sue was ultimately 8 years old and still very, very much a child. ( especially since the story in Grandia was self-initiative, and not some plot-device that demanded the underage party members be involved in world-destroying evil )

Some Nobody

Hmm, seems like the colors aren't as washed out as they usually are, which is why I normally can't get into Tales games. Other than that, I don't think this is anything more than a flyover. I doubt the entire game will be a bunch of vast, nearly empty fields.

Bladenic

It looks better than Xillia but I agree in that they need to have another cel shaded game. Hopefully the first next gen game will do so.

I also really hope there will be new enemy designs in this game, not the same ole Abyss/Team Destiny reuses with some slightly different or new ones.

MilkBeard

Looks pretty good so far. I want to see more of the battle system though. I'm curious as to how they are going to make it work.

Nothing really new, but it confirms that Sakuraba and Shiina are both composing for this. :)

As long as Sakuraba's not artificially restrained like was between ToS and ToX and Shiina ain't doing a poor man's Phantom Brave like he was in Legendia, we'll have something goooooooooooooood.

Agreed.

I've always told my Tales-friends that 9 out of 10 times, I'd rather Luke than Yuri. ( not character personality, but the breadth of their development throughout the game )

She needs to be older though. :p

I really liked how Grandia, for most parts, took note of the fact that Sue was ultimately 8 years old and still very, very much a child. ( especially since the story in Grandia was self-initiative, and not some plot-device that demanded the underage party members be involved in world-destroying evil )

"JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN" *badass dual-pistol backflip to bazooka super*

Something about these characters look off, nevertheless im interested in a new tales.

Like most everything else about Tales nowadays, they look phoned in. No challenges or surprises presented in their design, just "teenage boy/girl of indeterminate race clad in unflattering armor"

Videoneon

Alicia comes off as more reserved than I expected. I sort of thought she'd be more genki.

Threi/Thrae is mcprotagonist. Not offensive, at least.

Very curious about the battle system!

RPGCrazied

Old, but higher quality trailer! Looks nice. Go Shiina doing music for this game has me so excited. I sure hope he gets to do more than 1 or 2 songs. Legendia is my favorite OST of the series.

I really want to see the other characters though. I guess they aren't going to show off those this year?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Re: designs, I wish they would have changed it up this time so Fujishima did the female lead.

Well... while I would love for this we have Asbel's design which was the most recent one and it wasn't too hot.

EDIT: What the fuck? I read your post completely wrong and replaced female with male and Fujishima with Inomata. ROFL.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Why do male Tales protagonists all look like they could be broken over the female lead's knee?

Except Yuri. GG, Estelle.

Bladenic

Old, but higher quality trailer! Looks nice. Go Shiina doing music for this game has me so excited. I sure hope he gets to do more than 1 or 2 songs. Legendia is my favorite OST of the series.

I really want to see the other characters though. I guess they aren't going to show off those this year?

Doubtful, they're gonna reveal them one by one throughout 2014.

Soriku

Fujishima can suck it.

I generally think all of his Tales mains look pretty good (Jude's looks was really improved by his in-game model though; the initial art of him looked weird) but Slay is just...ehh. He's the opposite of Jude where his model makes him look worse than his art.

They should've had Inomata or Okumura do the male design this time and have Fujishima do a male side character or something (Alvin is one of his best designs).

I don't get this perspective that dude needs to look badass.

I mean, from the design and basic character personality outline, they're clearly aiming for a character with a stronger adolescence spirit, someone who's youthful, bright...out of all the character 'feel' that Slay is going for, it's obvious he's much closer towards the likes of Lloyd/Stahn/Reid compared to Yuri.

Does he look bland with a relatively uninspiring design? No questions there, he feels like a mix of rejected designs from previous Tales + Ah My Goddess. But the character is obviously not designed to be the next Yuri.

Actually, you're kinda right. He doesn't need to necessarily look badass, but with the way they introduced him, starting with the low camera shot of his feet and then gradually moving up as they did, I was under the impression that when they finally got done with the character reveal I'd come away thinking he looked quite badass.

IIRC Famitsu is going to have some more info on the game coming on the 26th.

Slay doesn't look particularly exciting which is why I hope that there's something more interesting going on with him below the surface.

Zafir

I still need to see more before I judge the characters I think. The designs themselves seem very inoffensive at first glance, but hopefully there will be more to them personality and story wise.

I really need to get round to finishing Xillia before I start thinking about this though. xD

I can see why someone wouldn't be too impressed by the fields, especially if they've played other Tales games.

The series doesn't really have a good record (yet) of making captivating overworlds/fields of this style. So far they just kinda range from "bland and repetitive" to "tolerable but not really noteworthy". They're getting bigger, but they still haven't made that big step towards a diverse and creative yet organic world, that really tries to apply all the space so exploration is fun and rewarding.

I really hope this is the game that finally makes that big step, so while the current field isn't that impressive from a design standpoint (to me, at least), hopefully latter footage will give a closer representation of what they're trying to do.
I don't expect something as good looking as The Witcher series, or even a sprawling world like in FFXIV. I don't think they have the resources and time for that. If they have to tone down the graphics and the fields lack noteworthy scenic hooks, I'd much rather that than a really beautiful, highly detailed....hallway. I've always been a firm believer that if a game has to sacrifice graphics only to add more to the world and gameplay, so fuckin be it! I can stomach less realistic looking models and less detailed rocks if it means tighter controls, better animation and greater world to explore.

Thorgal

Fujishima can suck it.

EDIT: Btw, I am working on compiling questions for an interview for Baba. If there are good questions I'll pick them and ask.

Couple of things :

-Ask him that since Zesteria is the anniversary title for 20 years of tales of games .What sort of content can the players expect from this game to celebrate the Occasion ?

- Ask if Go shinna is collaborating with Sakuraba for the full soundtrack or only doing a few select songs ?

-Ask how the battle system will work and how it will differentiate itself from the other games .

-Ask for more info on the characters (Side characters if possible also ).

And finally .ask him when the game will be out in Japan and how long a localization to the west may take ( or ask him about that rumored possibility of a worldwide release)

Top Bottom