• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talk about double standards (Wall Street Journal vs. PewDiePie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raylan

Banned
New PewDiePie video

The whole thing about Ben Fritz is fucking embarrassing. Same goes for J.K. Rowling.
And the WSJ contacting nearly all his sponsors before contacting PDP first...... yeah, you know what they tried.
(PewDiePie knows, because his sponsors told him that they got contacted by the WSJ guys.)

We really gotta keep giving this guy a platform, huh? Does saying "I'm not interested in hearing excuses for anti-semitism and anti-media conspiracies" count as thread shitting?

Nanashrew

Banned
Got no sympathy for either, but PDP linking to Sargon of Akkad, a fascist and supported by fascist groups doesn't help PDP's case at all either.

I don't know man, it's pretty embarrassing for Pewdiepie to suddenly cozy up to guys like Sargon of Akkad now that he's being 'attacked' and needs friends.

That's indefensible to me, and I was basically on PDP's side here.

I really feel like the guy's losing it over this WSJ business.

I don't know man, it's pretty embarrassing for Pewdiepie to suddenly cozy up to guys like Sargon of Akkad now that he's being 'attacked' and needs friends.

It looks like he linked to Sargon because he had made a very good video defending him. Doesn't mean he shares the same views on everything I don't think. Not too familiar with Sargon's content (only saw his video in defense of PDP) so I don't know much about his normal content or beliefs.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't know how much a shithead Sargon was and how stupid my statement sounds!

C5c0U6tU4AAJP4U.jpg:large

It looks like he linked to Sargon because he had made a very good video defending him. Doesn't mean he shares the same views on everything I don't think. Not too familiar with Sargon's content (only saw his video in defense of PDP) so I don't know much about his normal content or beliefs.

But that's exactly what I'm saying.

He's cozying up to a gigantic piece of shit and promoting his channel because he took PDP's side in this argument.

That's completely indefensible to me, and PDP is running the risk of turning into the person he's fighting so hard to claim he's not.

Thought experiment: Would you link to a video of David Duke defending something you agreed with even if you are not a klan member?

Some people you just don't associate with. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

PDP is definitely going the Jontron route and will be a full-blown alt-righter in a few weeks/months, I predict.

Tagyhag

The way the WSJ has handled this situation is awful no doubt about that.

Yep, but it's funny because you have people from either side ignoring whoever they're defending.

It should be "Hey, you both fucked up, you both should apologize" because PDP basically gave a "Sorry you were offended" apology and WSJ hasn't said squat.

NotLiquid

Someone's trying to (hipocriticaly) ruin your life and reputation and you're saying you just take the L and move on?

He already made a response video where he defended himself. His apology was meh-worthy but he did a decent enough job pointing out the shitty way media handled things. Hell multiple personalities on YouTube with millions of subscribers of their own were ready to defend him, and I'm sure his high level of subscribers don't give much of a shit about what he does and are enough for him to fuel his brand despite Disney.

It should have ended there. What's changed between now and then? This seems like an opportunity to just cash in on petty drama that by internet standards is old by now.

jtb

Banned
But that's exactly what I'm saying.

He's cozying up to a gigantic piece of shit and promoting his channel because he took PDP's side in this argument.

That's completely indefensible to me, and PDP is running the risk of turning into the person he's fighting so hard to claim he's not.

Exactly.

Maybe the reason why it cuts so deep and everyone in this situation is so unwilling to show even a modicum of contrition is because... it's true.

Nanashrew

Banned
It looks like he linked to Sargon because he had made a very good video defending him. Doesn't mean he shares the same views on everything I don't think.

During these times where we're seeing people go to and praise those that are supporting him and yelling at people for anyone with criticism as backstabbers, that's a cozy promotion Sargon got and will get him more viewership.

Sargon is a fascist, a racist, a serial harasser, a misogynist and sooo much more. all it takes is watching one video or checking his Twitter because Sargon makes his beliefs known to everyone. PDP even seems to be following Sargon on Twitter now so it's not like he couldn't learn more about him.

Yep, I defended this guy before but promoting garbage like Sargon is the line. Fuck this guy

Pews, take a deep breath, hire a PR manager, get someone to manage your production, and make fun shows instead of doing this stuff. Grow with your platform.

Also a bit funny how he now calls that previous video an "apology video" while giving the middle finger to the outlet that called you out.

So he literally says "it wasn't a problem until it was brought up". So he still doesn't know why it was a problem.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
To be honest, while some may view it as petty I think he did the right thing. The whole, "we have to be better than them,' spill I think has a time and place, and not when some group is actively trying to destroy what you built up. Them trying to go to Youtube with the goal to go after disabling monetization on his videos after disbanding ties, and with a huge bunch of hypocrisy to what their reason of attack, I think is something to stand up against.

But I also do think PewDiePie was in the wrong with the initial cause and his jokes were not only not funny, but really tonedeaf and not realizing who he was broadcasting it too, IE a large audience with a bunch of kids. But I think the follow-up has been on WSJ and they need to get called out for it.

Spending more time on how you were called out for being a piece of shit instead of making up for being a piece of shit, really makes you a piece of shit.

Thought experiment: Would you link to a video of David Duke defending something you agreed with even if you are not a klan member?

Some people you just don't associate with. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

PDP is definitely going the Jontron route and will be a full-blown alt-righter in a few weeks/months, I predict.

That's actually a good point, my apologies! You and others actually did a good job of putting this in perspective. He should probably be a lot more cautious in choosing who to promote in this way.

I don't agree that he'll suddenly become a member of the Alt-Right though. The entire issue is about him being pegged as a hateful person when he isn't so I don't see this happening.

Yep, but it's funny because you have people from either side ignoring whoever they're defending.

It should be "Hey, you both fucked up, you both should apologize" because PDP basically gave a "Sorry you were offended" apology and WSJ hasn't said squat.

That's where I'm at. I've gone of record in the previous threads that PDP screwed up royally and got appropriate consequences for his dumb joke. WSJ also went as low as they could possibly go as well.

Got no sympathy for either, but PDP linking to Sargon of Akkad, a fascist and supported by fascist groups doesn't help PDP's case at all either.

If he links to Sargon then nobody has any foot to stand on when it comes to defending him.

Somehow, someway, I think your ears will survive 10 whole minutes if you are interested in the subject matter.

I am not interested in suffering through a 10 minute PDP video when I could read a written response in a few minutes covering the same content.

We really gotta keep giving this guy a platform, huh? Does saying "I'm not interested in hearing excuses for anti-semitism and anti-media conspiracies" count as thread shitting?

LOL he sources/thanks Sargon of Akkad.

Going deeper into that hole.
Yup!

When you get accused of being a fascist asshole, you don't somehow counter that notion when you start talking like a fascist asshole and allying with fascist assholes.

PewDiePie engaging in dangerous rhetoric as he doubles down and starts linking to shitstain fuckwit wastes of human life like Sargon of fucking Akkad and making this not about his inability to take responsibility for his actions and instead a persecution complex to gather his fans around is 100x worse than literally anything the WSJ has published about him.

The man is going straight into super dangerous territory here. Just look at Jacksepticeye's intelligent and well-reasoned video and how he had to fucking back-peddle in a gross and disgusting manner because he "didn't defend Felix enough" and got comments out the ass calling him a backstabber.

Look at this fucking disgusting behavior in people he has direct impact and influence over.

I'm not familiar with Sargon of Akhad, can somebody explain (or even better, post links) as to why Gaf believes he's a legitimate fascist and/or a piece of shit? I'm not being facetious, generally curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom