• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tamron Hall's Departure Is Latest Example Of NBC's Relationship With Black Women

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Full title is "Tamron Hall's Departure Is The Latest Example Of NBC's Volatile Relationship With Black Women"
Over the past two years, MSNBC has proven to be an unfriendly place for Black female anchors.

This time last year, we witnessed the ugly public split between the network and Melissa Harris-Perry.

After nearly four years as the face of weekend morning news working diligently to invite diverse voices to the table, Harris-Perry parted ways with the network, saying her show had in effect been taken from her, ”without comment or discussion or notice."

”After four years of building an audience, developing a brand and developing trust with our viewers, we were effectively and utterly silenced," she wrote in an email to colleagues that later went public.

An NBC News spokesman responded to news of the email with surprise, confusion and a feeling of disappointment. All of which proved tone-deaf to Harris-Perry's central grievance: she felt ”worthless" on her own show.

Shortly thereafter, Joy-Ann Reid's Am Joy replaced Harris-Perry. Critics skeptical about NBC's handling of Harris-Perry were surprisingly mum about the transition since Reid, a Black woman, replaced another Black woman. However just months before Reid started her new weekend gig, she was booted from her mid-afternoon post on The Reid Report on, you guessed it, MSNBC.

Unlike Harris-Perry, Reid's show cancellation was swift and quiet. Her return was well received and apparently satisfied the big-wigs who continue to support Reid's program almost a year later. Luckily for Reid, she remains a part of the MSNBC News roster. She and Sheinelle Jones are currently the only Black female anchors at the MSNBC.

All the more reason Tamron Hall's departure is significant––not just because there is a suspicious pattern of sidelining Black female anchors, but because there is a broader issue about representation.

In a 2014 interview with Essence soon after Hall landed her position as a Today Show anchor, she recounted the moment she knew she would pursue a career in journalism. Her late father turned on the television and pointed to Iola Johnson––the first African-American news anchor to work for a Dallas television station––looked at his daughter and said, ”That could be you."
More at the link.

And in case you missed it, Tamron Hall learned she'd lose her Today Show timeslot moments before going live on air

Happy Black History Month, folks.

Crocodile

I wasn't aware Reid had a previous show. She is a treasure. If she leaves the network I'll probably have to leave with her as well

Yep MSNBC is pure trash.

Look at the people they hired.

I mean they still have Hayes, Maddow and O'Donnell. I do agree some of their recent hires have been meh at best however.

Slayven

I wasn't aware Reid had a previous show. She is a treasure. If she leaves the network I'll probably have to leave with her as well

I mean they still have Hayes, Maddow and O'Donnell. I do agree some of their recent hires have been meh at best however.

Would not be shocked if they are on borrowed time

Zaph

They're replacing a black anchor with a blonde woman who built her career dogwhistling racists?

2017 is truly the year of rewarding people who dedicate their life to tearing down or dividing society.

Isn't a lot of this jostling due to Megyn Kelly (from Fox) coming on board Today show and requiring some re-juggling of time slots to fit her in?

A lot of it sometimes just comes down to contracts. Al Roaker and Tamron host a show together which got cancelled to make room for Megyn Kelly. Al Roaker is already in the middle of a multi year TV contract, if they fired him they would have to pay out the rest of the contract. Tamran Hall's contract is finished if I am reading articles correctly and its up for renewal, so it makes sense to not renew the contract to save some money.

Whether she is better at attracting viewers than Megyn Kelly is a whole nother debate and one I guess NBC is about to find out.

Loudninja

Yeah those 2 are fine but Chuck Todd alone is just ugh.

Some foreign news outlet could probably run an excellent American-centric news operation staffed with castaways from racist American news networks.

Kreed

Msnbc has been continually disappointing. I hope Megyn Kelly's new program tanks out.

To clear up some confusion, Megyn Kelly is getting a new show on NBC after the Today Show. The issue is that Tamron Hall and Al Roker's slot on the Today Show was cut for this new show on NBC, so Tamron Hall left both NBC and MSNBC (her role/show on MSNBC wasn't affected by this).

Al Roaker is already in the middle of a multi year TV contract, if they fired him they would have to pay out the rest of the contract. Tamran Hall's contract is finished if I am reading articles correctly and its up for renewal, so it makes sense to not renew the contract to save some money.

Per the OP, NBC offered her a new contract to stay on both NBC and MSNBC, which is where the headlines that her departure was a "reaction" to her time slot getting axed is coming from.

Ponn

Banned
This was bullshit when it happened made worse that it went down over a fox news pundit when thats the last thing media outlets need to spread. Total lack of integrity and not a very good sign that the media is going to fight back against Trump like they should.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
They're replacing a black anchor with a blonde woman who built her career dogwhistling racists?

2017 is truly the year of rewarding people who dedicate their life to tearing down or dividing society.

They're not replacing her. Hall turned down a contract.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wait, she's leaving?

Absolutely awful on NBC's part that they allowed this to happen. Tamron is great and deserved a prime time slot on MSNBC.

Chumley

Banned
Fuck you, MSNBC.

If it weren't for Maddow and O'Donnell, (and Hayes, to a lesser extent) I'd be done with you.

I can see them giving Hayes the boot and O'Donnell just retiring or something soon enough.

I think their liberal fans straight up jump ship if anything happens with Maddow though. She's the lynchpin of the network even though I'm sure the dumbasses in charge think Joe Scarborough is.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I used to wake up early in in the morning to watch her on television before school. (Chicagoland area). Sucks what happened to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom