• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tea |OT| Oh, tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Came in expecting links to that one George Orwell piece.

I'm sensitive to caffeine and stopped drinking tea after noon because it would seriously disrupt my sleep. Lately I've started buying decaf and it's changed my life. To me it tastes just as good as standard teabags from a supermarket and I can now drink it in the evening. But I'm unaware of any fancy, loose-leaf teas that are decaffeinated. Please help me, GAF!

You could try rooibos tea since it doesn't contain caffeine. Doesn't necessarily have to be loose-leaf, just buy a sizeable carton that contains 50 tiny bags or however much they usually have.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'll check out the large french press. Really, I'm looking to do a gallon or two at a time. Do you have any thoughts to good starting leaves proportions?

1 teaspoon per cup is the usual proportion.

I like The Tea Table's offerings much better than Adagio comparably, and I would specify it as a beginner site....It's also cheaper if you like to buy in bulk.

Cool. I'll add them to the list right now. I also added a few more retailers earlier. I don't want the list to be exhaustive, like the Reddit Tea List. I much rather give a few a suggestions from trusted sources.

RELAYER

Banned
I've been wanting to get into tea for a while now.

For about the past year I've been drinking tea, but it is just Walmart brand tea bags because that is the only thing I can get from the store here. Even to my inexperienced palate they leave much to be desired, but I really crave the bitter taste so I keep drinking it. I guess I'll try to order something off one of those sites and see what i think.

I've noticed my teeth are noticeably more yellow since I've started drinking tea as well. A shame!

Max

I am not Max
such a cute thread, bus

Rooibos is what I love most. I have berry and vanilla variants :>

I'm gonna visit the little tea shop on main street this weekend, maybe pick up some loose leaf and a teapot

I recently found this great tea place with a vast amount of loose leaf teas. I just bought several types that are great (blood orange, green lemonade, and a few more I can't remember right now). They were all stored in these huge glass jars. My question is how long could those possibly stay fresh? There were probably at least a hundred different loose leaf varieties there. I can't imagine how long some of the less popular ones must stay there in the jars. However, so far the ones I've tried taste wonderful.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I've been wanting to get into tea for a while now.

For about the past year I've been drinking tea, but it is just Walmart brand tea bags because that is the only thing I can get from the store here. Even to my inexperienced palate they leave much to be desired, but I really crave the bitter taste so I keep drinking it. I guess I'll try to order something off one of those sites and see what i think.

It's probably been mentioned already in this thread, but try and see if you can get a sampler package of a whole bunch of teas through an online store. If they don't list something like that, you can always try emailing them and seeing if they can organize something like that for you at a certain price. That way you'll have a decent idea of what you enjoy and what puts you off.

I love Adagio's black mango tea. It is only $19 dollars for a 16 oz. bag. It taste quite similar to Caribou's black mango tea, and it is so much better than Trader Joes black mango tea bags.

Piecake

Drinking some Gunpowder Green tea right now

Luckily, there is a pretty great tea place right by my house that has a good selection of loose leaf teas. (their gunpowder is cheaper than Adagio's prices)

Usually i go for Clouds and Mist green tea (also cheap), but i decided to go with something different. Really liked their Tie Guanyin tea - though that was just a sample and probably costs more than i am willing to spend

I definitely dont consider myself a Connoisseur of green tea since i am a lazy bastard and use boiling water, dump my loose leaf tea in my cup and poor that boiling water on top. Still tastes good, and dont have to worry about buying other crap to have a cup of tea

morningbus

qoQxs.png

Please read this part with this on in the background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bfzWj5a_Y4. If the song ends while reading please chase it with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA

The majority of tea consumed by Americans is served ice cold and, with warm weather approaching, it's time to learn to make your own iced tea. A lot of people turn to pre-bottled teas, like those from Honest Tea, Harney & Sons, or Snapple, and at least 2 of those are perfectly fine if you're out and about without access to your equipment. But at home? You can do this.

Basic Iced Tea
  • Prepare your equipment as if you're brewing a normal cup of tea.
  • Fill a large glass with ice (a 18 to 20oz beer glass works wonderfully).
  • Instead of putting a cup of water over your tea leaves, half it. Use 4oz of water.
  • At this time add any sweetener you may normally like in your tea. Stir to disolve
  • Brew for the standard length of time.
  • Pour into glass filled with ice, stir, and enjoy.

It's as easy as that. There are other methods of producing iced tea, but this is the quickest.

Next Level Procedure
  • Purchase 1 can of frozen juice concentrate.
  • Consult packaging of frozen juice concentrate to determine how much water you need.
  • Half that amount of water and brew double strength tea of your choice with that amount of water. (E.G. packaging says to add 5 cups of water, brew 2.5 cups of tea using 5+ teaspoons of tea leaves.)
  • Mix together juice concentrate, cold water, and double strength tea.
  • Realize you've wasted your life having not done this sooner.

#GAMECHANGER. My favorite combination is Yerba Mate + Welch's White Grape Peach.

Drink Suggestions.

Half & Half / Arnold Palmer | 50% iced black tea + 50% lemonade.

Iced Lemon Mate | 75% iced yerba mate + 25% lemonade.

Boston Iced Tea | 75% iced black tea + 25% cranberry juice.

Of course you can mess with the ratios to tailor it to your preferences. I'd love to hear if you have any other interesting combinations.​

NYZvB.jpg

Pictured: Iced Lemon Mate

Bonus game I shall impart onto you: slice lemons and lime, place into zip lock bag, and place in the freezer. After a few hours, you've got something you can add to ice to make any iced tea amazing.

Jenga

Banned
i know you are trying to reach out but you should let all out with the tea elitism

anyone who drinks sweet tea is a fool, and is probably a nintendo gamer

real talk dog

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Chrysanthemum tea is the best tea.

Also don't really like to mix milk or sugar. Kills the taste of the tea.

Ni maith liom tae ar chor ar bith. Tá sé an-uafasach!

Tá brón orm mar níl mé ábalta Gaeilge a usáid anois. Chuaigh mo Ghaeilge síos an leithris ceithre bliana ó shin le mo leabhair :p

Enough silly talk :p

I've never used loose tea but I have seen it being sold at local farmer's markets. I have to invest in a nice strainer though.

I've been going crazy with Trader Joes boxes of basic green tea bags, 50 for $2. My body is like 25% green tea lately.

Been meaning to start doing iced tea this year.

Stasis

No complaints from me here. I really enjoy David's Tea (and stop by whenever I'm in Montreal). They are basically like an American store called Teavana, except done right. They aren't trying to screw you and they offer some legit stuff.

I also really like The Camellia Sinensis Tea House (they have a few location in Montreal, but I've only been to the one in the Latin Quarter). They have some really legit stuff there.

I've actually been to Teavana while visiting my parents in the US. We had some kind of orange sweet tea, cold. It was really good. Among my best tea experiences that we tried to replicate and failed. I'm familiar with Camellia Sinensis but I've never been there personally. An ex-gf's parents were obsessed with it and would buy like 10 different kinds every time they went. I've had a few green teas.

This thread makes me want to attempt tea again. Some day I'm gonna love it. Some day!

Rootbeer

Banned
Subscribed! Tea addict here. I'm fortunate enough to live next to two Somavar locations. My wallet hates me, but damn if it isn't a fine experience.

Tawpgun

But actually. If I put milk into some cheap lipton teabag tea, will it taste good?

I've never put milk in tea before.

Luigiv

This thread has inspired me to brew myself a mug of green tea, haven't had any since yesterday.

Edit: Actually, you know what, I'm going to be adventurous today. I'm going to try some Black Tea with cardamom, which I've been meaning to try for a while now.

Edit 2: Mmmmmm.

But actually. If I put milk into some cheap lipton teabag tea, will it taste good?

It should taste fine. Adding milk will give your beverage an overall milder but creamier taste as well a thicker texture. it's worth trying at least once though honestly I reckon tea is best without milk (or sugar/sweeteners for that matter too).

morningbus

Subscribed! Tea addict here. I'm fortunate enough to live next to two Somavar locations. My wallet hates me, but damn if it isn't a fine experience.

Aw, it looks like Samovar doesn't carry the Earl Grey lavender anymore. I enjoyed that blend. If you're looking to splurge sometime, try the Hawaiian teas. Expensive but fantastic.

Definitely. Lower quality tea is almost intended to get some milk and sugar added to it.

Has anyone tried Milk Oolong? I've been meaning to pick some up but wasn't sure if the price premium was worth it.

Milk oolongs are fantastic. I keep it, roasted oolong, and a regular oolong on tap at all times.

IrishNinja

nice OP! subbing.

i'm trying to incoporate more teas, but im mostly just either sticking with safe green stuff i'm used to, or trying out random stuff at the nearby asian market. this one sleepytime tea doesn't taste so hot, but i think it does make me tired.

i'm fond of the flower tea i get with dim sun, but when i buy it at said market, it goes bad kinda quick if i don't use it up. any suggestions, or stuff like that? i tend to like ti pretty minimal, don't even add much sugar.

Desmond

Tá brón orm mar níl mé ábalta Gaeilge a usáid anois. Chuaigh mo Ghaeilge síos an leithris ceithre bliana ó shin le mo leabhair :p

Enough silly talk :p

I've never used loose tea but I have seen it being sold at local farmer's markets. I have to invest in a nice strainer though.

Haha, mine will be down the toilet soon enough.

Marv_79

Neo Member
Yorkshire gold is the only tea for me, I made the change from PG about 5 years ago and have never looked back. Stopped putting sugar in my tea and everything.

upandaway

So well, I wanna get in this stuff. Kinda getting tired of cheap bagged tea.

I already have a temperature-specific kettle but I have no clue regarding the brewing thing. Can I get some suggestions for specific products (preferably Amazon)? I looked at this previously since I don't need large volumes but whatever, I don't even know if it fits my cups.

Regarding tea, I have a shop near me (Le Palais des Thés, a french chain) that seems to have a variety in loose tea.. so is there any popular name I can look for and try? I can only buy in 100g bulks (~$7/100g for most of the types) so I don't wanna go wild.

Izick

That title...

ibvsaFTVvnaE79.gif

I like to have iced tea every once in a while with a meal to mix it up from the regular water, but I never really go out of my way to get it. I always hear that there are health benefits of drinking tea; is that true?

vulva

I really love tea but I don't experiment much. I usually have genmaicha or some standard green tea.

When I'm feeling fancy, though, I love a nice kabusecha or gyokuro.

Piecake

So well, I wanna get in this stuff. Kinda getting tired of cheap bagged tea.

I already have a temperature-specific kettle but I have no clue regarding the brewing thing. Can I get some suggestions for specific products (preferably Amazon)? I looked at this previously since I don't need large volumes but whatever, I don't even know if it fits my cups.

Regarding tea, I have a shop near me (Le Palais des Thés, a french chain) that seems to have a variety in loose tea.. so is there any popular name I can look for and try? I can only buy in 100g bulks (~$7/100g for most of the types) so I don't wanna go wild.

You really dont NEED any of that stuff. So long as you have boiling water, a cup, and loose leaf tea, you will be fine. Will it taste as good? Probably not, but dupping the tea leaves directly into the mug and then pouring the water on top of that is not going to ruin the tea

As for cheap green tea - Gunpowder is a good bet. If you want something a bit more expensive, Dragonwell. Real famous low-mid range tea that everyone has

vulva

You really dont NEED any of that stuff. So long as you have boiling water, a cup, and loose leaf tea, you will be fine. Will it taste as good? Probably not, but dupping the tea leaves directly into the mug and then pouring the water on top of that is not going to ruin the tea

As for cheap green tea - Gunpowder is a good bet. If you want something a bit more expensive, Dragonwell. Real famous low-mid range tea that everyone has

well sort of what you said. It's worth noting that if someone is drinking green tea, it's best to pour a little cold water in first so avoid the hot water going directly on the tea leaves to help ensure they don't get seared. I doubt most people, when boiling water, make sure the water is at the exact right temp and a bit of cold water first can help avoid ruining the flavour of the tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom