• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Jungle Inferno Short

mishakoz

So, this is the first short in a long while yes?

While okay, the loss of writers and apparent lack of budget for voice actors really bring this video down. Only scout speaks new lines, and spy is eerily quiet.

Gimme that Pyro jetpack.

I don't -get- Hightower. People don't actually -play- it.
It's like they treat TF2-Hightower as some kind of interactive chat room with a minor competitive shooter element.

If you actually try to capture the point people (on your own team, even) will scream angrily at you.

Hightower is the greatest map (and not just in TF2). I'm revoking your TF2 membership.

Bluth54

So, this is the first short in a long while yes?

While okay, the loss of writers and apparent lack of budget for voice actors really bring this video down. Only scout speaks new lines, and spy is eerily quiet.

Even the 15 minute video from a few years ago didn't have all the character speak.
Saxton Hale is really the star of the video, he's been in the comic for years and this is his first video appearance.

Valve also doesn't really have budgets as per a Gabe Newell interview earlier this year. If they had wanted all the voice actors for this video they would have gotten all of the voice actors. There's been many updates in the past where all the character have gotten new voice lines, including the summer update of last year.

I really wish they'd pour this and more energy into a TF4.

We've already gotten a TF3 with all the updates, maybe even a 4 and 5 depending on how you look at it.
Alternatively, Overwatch is TF3.

A running plot in TF4 could be discovering what happened to the lost TF3 team, rediscovering weapons they unearthed and such.

Dreavus

Engineer's voice actor is retired
Demoman and Heavy's voice actor is very, very old, possibly retired. He's also getting kind of weak at doing the voices.
Soldier's voice actor is old, possibly retired. Rumors he had some health issues.
Scout's actor is young and always available for voice lines
Spy and Pyro's actor is usually around for voice lines, don't know what's up with this update
Medic's voice actor is usually too busy to do much

Such is the problems of having a voice cast for a game that is updated for 10 years. They get old, or they get better gigs.

It is insane to me that there's a game that has this problem. 10 years man... whew. A lot can change I guess. It's disappointing but when you put it that way it makes a lot of sense.

That said if they're going to keep doing stuff for the game I think they'd want to consider some sound-alikes/re-casts though, it was pretty jarring here.

Payload and Payload Race have always low-key been the best gamemodes - that's why Overwatch pretty much lifted Payload wholesale.
Payload is the greatest. Payload RACE on the other hand is abysmal with the only good map being...
Hightower has consistently been one of the most popular and favorite pub maps since it's first release.

I personally don't like it but it's easy to see why they would create another one.
when the least favorite part of plr_hightower is the payload race aspect, you know it's not done well.

Yukinari

Losing Heavy's actor is gonna be like losing Dr.Weird's actor.

Such an iconic voice with memorable dialogue that you dont even need to play TF2 to know who it is. Heavy's MvM lines are depressing.

Callego

A running plot in TF4 could be discovering what happened to the lost TF3 team, rediscovering weapons they unearthed and such.

Ha! I really like this idea.
Like some really cool stuff happened in the last game but you don't get to see it. Say all records were destroyed or something, but you keep discovering just how insane the missing TF3 really was. Have a map with a fossil of a "TF3" guy riding a dinosaur being unearthed.

This video brought a smile to my face, but I don't think I'll play much. I played TF2 for thousands of hours from 2008-2015 and finally tapped out after Overwatch was released. I tried to play again on the tenth anniversary for old times' sake and it was just clunky and lame. The custom servers were the lifeblood of this game; I met so many friends and great people and have so many years of memories, and I can't do that anymore.

I would rather Valve put effort into Team Fortress 3 (lol jk we know Valve doesn't make games anymore). With that being said, if we do get TF3...please add some women like Miss Pauling or something. It's kind of a bad look to have a hero shooter in 2017 that's a massive sausagefest, especially next to Overwatch.

(I understand that the reason they never added female character alternates to TF2 was because of hitbox concerns.)

mb2yBuv.gif

We can still buy taunts from the store, right?

Captain Fun

Neo Member
mb2yBuv.gif

Probably? That's how most updates have been... right?
Losing Heavy's actor is gonna be like losing Dr.Weird's actor.

Such an iconic voice with memorable dialogue that you dont even need to play TF2 to know who it is. Heavy's MvM lines are depressing.
Heavy (and Demo) often have their voice lines filtered/pitch shifted. Some voice lines added in updates have been inconsistent like MVM's initial voice lines and Scream Fortress 2012, with the MVM lines being particularly odd since they're pitched way too low.

mb2yBuv.gif

Taunts have always been sold in the store, with one exception that was a loot crate item (but you can easily just get it on the Steam market).

Taunts are super expensive, though. Usually like 5+ dollars, sometimes 10+ if it's an all class taunt.

Yeah, the only joke that made me chuckle was the Australia-shaped hole Saxton left behind.

The "please have pants, please have pants" line from Scout made me laugh

finalflame

Gold Member
also wow it's so jarring at how the original VOs aren't available anymore so it's just Scout and Saxton talking, everyone else is mute or uses a stock voice clip

Valve has always cut corners like this though. I don't think it's an availability problem with the VAs (at least, not a new one). They just won't get them when they don't feel the need. Most characters, sans Medic, had voice lines in last year's Meet Your Match update.

There has been a SAG-AFTRA voice actor's strike since October 2016 that just ended 3 weeks ago. If I recall, Scout's voice lines had already been recorded before it started. This is more likely the reason Valve didn't include the other VAs, and not ”cutting corners".

This is for the first time Saxton Hale gets shown officially outside the comics. There have been mods with him with an unofficial model but think this time we will get him officially in the game and his voice.

PaulloDEC

It is insane to me that there's a game that has this problem. 10 years man... whew. A lot can change I guess. It's disappointing but when you put it that way it makes a lot of sense.

That said if they're going to keep doing stuff for the game I think they'd want to consider some sound-alikes/re-casts though, it was pretty jarring here.

I was curious about this, so I did a little reading. Turns out they had almost the entire cast (with the exception of Robin Atkin Downes, who was presumably busy) back for the Meet Your Match update in mid-2016.

To my ears, everyone sounds like their original actor in fine form, with perhaps some very slight differences (Demo seems maybe a touch different, for example). Even the Engie seems to be the same guy, which I wasn't expecting given that Nolan North took the role for "Expiration Date".

finalflame

Gold Member
The voice acting thing apparently had to do with the strike. TF2 was on the list of games that they couldn't work on.

Scout's voice work was done before the strike happened.

As I mentioned above:

There has been a SAG-AFTRA voice actor’s strike since October 2016 that just ended 3 weeks ago. If I recall, Scout’s voice lines had already been recorded before it started. This is more likely the reason Valve didn’t include the other VAs, and not “cutting corners”.

:)

Top Bottom