• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Javaman

Bors was kind enough to trade me a cow mangler for a scrap last night and I founf one as a drop no more than an hour or two later. So crazy.

Javaman said:
Bors was kind enough to trade me a cow mangler for a scrap last night and I founf one as a drop no more than an hour or two later. So crazy.
I got a Cow Mangler last night as a drop, too, after you left. It's a pretty crazy weapon.

Yeef said:
I assume you have a second installation of Steam and aren't trying to use the same twice. Barring that, there should be no issue.

...a second installation of Steam? I have one Steam client, with subfolders under 'steamapps' for each account:

8Sf9D.png

I run TF once normally, and once Sandboxed. It works fine for text idling, but not so much for trading. Am I doing it wrong?

Bakphoon broke my post streak, so I think it's safe to make a new one:

I just had a 'Noh Mercy' drop on my second alt account. It's an accessory drop I actually want for once!

JackEtc

Does anyone know how to change the FOV in replays? It resets to default for me in the Replay viewer, and it's quite annoying -_-

Blizzard

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
has there ever been a weapon that wasn't?
I thought the Sam and Max pistol and Left 4 Dead frying pan didn't have recipes either, though I don't know if you can burn a bunch of metal with the item slot recipe and have a very slight chance of getting one. I would suspect not.

I foolishly crafted some items and have an untradeable refined metal. Any suggestions on how to use it?

I might craft the Rift items with it but I'd never play with them.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh I had an actual gameplay question that I was spamming the chat with last night.

Someone traded me the demoman booties, so I finally have the complete set, but they feel like they give hardly any turning control. Like, I can move the mouse way across the pad, and end up charging a foot or two to the left of my original target?

I thought I had seen someone in a server showing off by charging back and forth really quickly. Was that just a script thing? Is there any trick to getting a more noticeable turn angle?

Bakphoon

Grimm Fandango said:
I foolishly crafted some items and have an untradeable refined metal. Any suggestions on how to use it?

I might craft the Rift items with it but I'd never play with them.

First thing i would do it to try to craft it back to reclaimed to see if all of the reclaimed would be untradable... ( and then to scrap metal)

But i really don't know if it will work :(

Bakphoon said:
First thing i would do it to try to craft it back to reclaimed to see if all of the reclaimed would be untradable... ( and then to scrap metal)

But i really don't know if it will work :(

Just tried, I get all untradeable :(

Sora

Hey guys, I'd like to ask something about exclusive and pre-order items: can you actually get those by craft, drop or crates? I looked in TF2wiki, but it seems that some hats like the Hero Tail (The Witcher 2) can't be found anywhere, just if you trade it with someone. That question come to me because I saw someone posting here that you can actually find all items in-game, even those that are exclusive.

Also, how much those exclusive items cost? Anyone have any idea?

Forkball

Sora said:
Hey guys, I'd like to ask something about exclusive and pre-order items: can you actually get those by craft, drop or crates? I looked in TF2wiki, but it seems that some hats like the Hero Tail (The Witcher 2) can't be found anywhere, just if you trade it with someone. That question come to me because I saw someone posting here that you can actually find all items in-game, even those that are exclusive.

Also, how much those exclusive items cost? Anyone have any idea?
Hero's Tail is droppable and craftable. All promo items after the Shogun update have been made this way. Promo items like Bill's Hat, Max's Head, MNC Combat gear etc. can only be obtained by trading with someone who already has them.

Blizzard said:
I thought the Sam and Max pistol and Left 4 Dead frying pan didn't have recipes either, though I don't know if you can burn a bunch of metal with the item slot recipe and have a very slight chance of getting one. I would suspect not.
yea, the Luger and Iron Curtain are only obtainable via gift trade or purchase of that game.

mojiimbo

You can get that hat by a random craft(3 refined or 4 refined and a scout token or by crafting two hats together) or by a random drop. It'll be worth less than if it was given out because of the promo but it will look the same in-game on your character.

Yeef

Zerokku said:
The Rift weapons I believe are only craftable, and not through a standard recipe either.
The Rift weapons are craftable with a specific recipe. I actually crafted them when they were first released, then they reduced the recipes. I did not get a refund for the difference.

Sora

Forkball said:
Hero's Tail is droppable and craftable. All promo items after the Shogun update have been made this way. Promo items like Bill's Hat, Max's Head, MNC Combat gear etc. can only be obtained by trading with someone who already has them.

Got it, I really made a mistake about Hero's Tail, just saw it here and it is craftable.

Thanks for the explanation.

mojiimbo said:
You can get that hat by a random craft(3 refined or 4 refined and a scout token or by crafting two hats together) or by a random drop. It'll be worth less than if it was given out because of the promo but it will look the same in-game on your character.
never spend 4 refined to make a hat.

buy 2 cratable hats from someone for 1ref or 1 ref + 1 rec each and craft that way.

OR...just buy the hat you want with metal straight away. Unless a hat is a set hat AND the one you want costs less to craft (4 ref + class wep) than it does to just buy with metal on the open market, there's no reason to gamble. Unless your goal is to gamble, of course.

Just be aware that few hats that you can try to create for 4 ref+ actually cost 4 refined on the open market. Team Captain is the only one coming to mind at the moment. All the uber hats can be ad from 2ref - 3.66 ref these days. Odds of crafting a TC are about 6:1. Not bad, but you'll be bitter if you spend 8 ref trying to craft it only to fail when you could have bought it straight away for 7 ref.

Dreams-Visions said:
has there ever been a weapon that wasn't?
- all pre-genuine promo weapons are not droppable or craftable
- The rift items are only craftable, not droppable
- Three Rune Blade and Maul are only craftable (with no recipe!) and not droppable.

I actually just emailed Valve about the Rift items being droppable. Hopefully they listen to my email.

DarkKyo

balladofwindfishes said:
- all pre-genuine promo weapons are not droppable or craftable
- The rift items are only craftable, not droppable
- Three Rune Blade and Maul are only craftable (with no recipe!) and not droppable.

I actually just emailed Valve about the Rift items being droppable. Hopefully they listen to my email.
I'd kill for a non-genuine Maul, those should drop too :p

balladofwindfishes said:
Originally Posted by Robin Walker
The Original will become craftable, purchasable, and added to the random drop lists when the QuakeCon promotion ends.

Robin
From an email to a Comp league
Urge to spend $70 on Quakecon Pack fading... fading... fading - RISING! Fading... fading... gone.

mojiimbo

Got a Whoopee Cap on one of my idlers last week, a Furious Fukaamigasa on another idler last night and a Cosa Nostra Cap on my real account today. :) Before that all I had gotten since I started playing a couple of months ago was a Defiant Spartan.

I'm contemplating whether to buy a crappy game like Brink to get a TF2 hat for my favorite class. What the hell did you guys do to me?

Blizzard

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
I'm contemplating whether to buy a crappy game like Brink to get a TF2 hat for my favorite class. What the hell did you guys do to me?
You have done this to yourself. If you check the Mann Co. store, you can even find expensive bears and stuff. Or you could buy 500 gifts like artemis.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
You guys know there is a videogame under this hat-simulator right? :p

I'm really tempted to pre-order skyrim for the Heavy helm.

(._.)

Banned
Pancakes said:
You guys know there is a videogame under this hat-simulator right? :p

I'm really tempted to pre-order skyrim for the Heavy helm.
It is becoming craftable in a couple days. I preoreded though because I really want SKYRIM.

Javaman

Rickenslacker said:
Urge to spend $70 on Quakecon Pack fading... fading... fading - RISING! Fading... fading... gone.
I'm surprised that he made the announcement before the end of the sale. Surely it'll cut into the total sales slightly at least

Smithy C

About how long would I have to play Spiral Knights to get the hat from it? It looks like a pretty cool hat and I have a free night, but I want to know how much of an investment will I have to make? (Also, is Spiral Knights any good?)

TheBez

Smithy C said:
About how long would I have to play Spiral Knights to get the hat from it? It looks like a pretty cool hat and I have a free night, but I want to know how much of an investment will I have to make? (Also, is Spiral Knights any good?)
~1 hour

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Smithy C said:

It gets really repetitive really quickly. But it's a fun little distraction for 2-3 hours.

yeoz

Dreams-Visions said:
Team Captain is the only one coming to mind at the moment. All the uber hats can be ad from 2ref - 3.66 ref these days. Odds of crafting a TC are about 6:1. Not bad, but you'll be bitter if you spend 8 ref trying to craft it only to fail when you could have bought it straight away for 7 ref.
Wait, what? 6:1? How? Do you mean 16:1?

Joined a random french valve server .

Some guys was asking if anyone had a spy or demo crate , I reply that I'll gladly trade one for a strange knife .
So , we start chatting , I give him two crates (I never bought keys and don't think I'll do it) and he gives me a Strange Kunai . HOORAY , my very first strange weapon !

However , right after that , the game crashed on me (keeps happening , this is getting ridiculous) . Anyway , I go back to the same server , and the guy comes to me saying "you'll never believe it" . One of the crates had a strange revolver inside ! He traded it to me for a scottish resistance and a scrap ! Me = happy .

tl;dr : Traded two spy crates for a strange kunai , and the guy then gave me the strange revolver he found in exchange for a scotts resistance + scrap .
And I don't get why the game keeps crashing .

Top Bottom