• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Meat: 3DS eShop has a 2GB limit for DD. [Misquoted, not true]

beril

We know that there are no fewer than four other actively supported gaming platforms today with no download size limits and that there are zero games on these services that arbitrarily bulk up to some size that's a meaningful inconvenience to customers for no reason.

How about 588 MB Chrono Trigger for iPhone?

Edit:
also for a concrete example of developers shoving crap down customers HDDs: the PS3 version of Bionic Commando Rearmed had a 100MB trailer of Bionic Commando 2009 included, while on XBLA, which still had size limits, it just let you download it seperately.

We also know that games like Mega Man 9 and 10, Sonic 4 et al. have sold better on Wiiware than on XBLA.

This is entirely my point: you have one game that came out in 2008 -- over three years ago -- at the absolute peak of Wii's commercial success, and two games that performed very poorly for their publishers on every platform (the lattermost of which has a sequel coming out that won't be getting a WiiWare release at all.) This does not speak against the reality in which WiiWare is a moribund platform.

you think that being limited to 40 MB means that the service can only handle Atari 2600 games

It is certainly technically possible to make good games that take up less than 40 GB, but that is not any sort of defense of the policy. You could make good games for the Atari 2600 you mention too. The reality is that WiiWare has been rejected as even a possibility for the vast majority of significant DD releases specifically because of its poor sales and excessive limitations. That a scant few excellent titles have made it out even in those conditions is good for Wii owners but hardly serves as any serious rebuke to the people who sensibly keep their distance.

How about 588 MB Chrono Trigger for iPhone?

It's all music. I guess you can make a (probably fair) argument that they ought to have included an SPC module and the original samples rather than using recorded music, but given how many versions of their classic RPGs Square-Enix have put out with butchered music I think it's one of the less bad options.

Okay, I guess we'll see how much Sonic 4 part 2's sales go up now that there's no Wiiware version holding the developers back from achieving their true vision, then.

beril

It's all music. I guess you can make a (probably fair) argument that they ought to have included an SPC module and the original samples rather than using recorded music, but given how many versions of their classic RPGs Square-Enix have put out with butchered music I think it's one of the less bad options.

Or they could at least have used some compression. Also the music is already butchered because recorded music can't loop as nicely. so they really should have used sequenced music

There is no excuse for a 4MB game to take up half a gigabyte

Or they could at least have used some compression. Also the music is already butchered because recorded music can't loop as nicely. so they really should have used sequenced music

There is no excuse for a 4MB game to take up half a gigabyte

Doesn't it have the PS1/DS anime cutscenes as well?

EDIT: Damnit, I should have refreshed the page before replying.

Top Bottom