• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#TeamCG vs. #TeamReal thread, a thread of crow buffets and madmen dreams

It was obviously real; if Hollywood can't do it with render farms, I doubt it can be done in real time with "just" 8GB DDR5 RAM

voted real, though to be honest, I was prepared to eat crow if I was wrong...glad to see my feeling that it didn't look CG was right though.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Well, my implication there was also that BF4 came very close to reality there, so while things aren't AS good as some people hoped it's still really amazing, especially as the BF4 demo seems to indicate the potential bar next gen could set for game graphics. That's kind of the way things tend to be it seems to me, we may not be able to match our fantasies, but we can still put out something that's very impressive in its own right.
Don't get me wrong, I believe that next gen for consoles and PC are going to be mind-blowing but we're not nearly at the point yet where CG avatars will fool most people into believing that they're real. There's going to be a lot to be excited about for both TeamReal and TeamCG.

Midou

It was obviously real; if Hollywood can't do it with render farms, I doubt it can be done in real time with "just" 8GB DDR5 RAM

Not to mention the Fox Engine, while running on PC, is meant to be a PS3/360 engine. Though I imagine it will easily transition to next-gen.

Mr. RHC

hai guise

image.php

Haha, pretty good!

Right now you get to feel like the grown up who proves to the kids that Santa Claus isn't real. It only ever meant anything if he was. :p

Not at all a good analogy. If Santa Claus is CG, then he IS real. All we did is point out to TeamCG that they were believing in the mall Santa instead of the real one. Santa's on our side.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LOL I can't believe there's a list of our names.

Anyone could see what you voted in the poll. So he's just copy-pasting that.

What's funny is that the people I normally talk to picked the same choice as me.

Dr Dogg

Well guys you had a good run. Although we may have disagreed I think we can say there was a little bit of TeamCG in all of us.

Who am I kidding. Crazy is as crazy does.

JoeFenix

Clipping teeth, LOL!

This was a fun ride, surprised this many people actually believed it was CG.

Maybe in 10 years guys!

Eusis

Funny, I would think the opposite.

TeamReal - wrong - holy shit, CG really is now indistiguishable from reality! It fooled me!

TeamReal - right - at least I don't look at reality and think "fake!"

vs

Team CG - wrong - I don't even know what "real" looks like, so why should I be excited by good CG?

Team CG - right - since I've nit-picked this to death, CG is still not good enough

edit: or, to put it more succinctly: mistaking reality for CG is not the dream. Mistaking CG for reality is.
That's what I was thinking. Alternatively, set expectations low so you can be surprised and amazed when those expectations are shattered, rather than disappointed because you got yourself worked up over nothing.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
I think this is more fitting for people like Peter Molyneux or those who tried to do Kickstarters only to fail (WITHOUT intents to scam of course) than people over analyzing some poor dude who had to be a bad Kojima stand in for an interview.

JoeFenix

We're really not that far off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l6R6N4Vy0nE#!

Crappy animation on that video though.

It's gonna take a good while to work out all the thousands of small imperfections before we get to the point where it looks indistinguishable from real life.

We are 80% of the way there but the last 20% will probably take the longest, the link you posted is definitely not going to fool anyone. It immediately feels and looks "off".

Edit: Watched the entire thing, it does look more convincing during certain facial animations. The mouth and eyes definitely look off but maybe in a few years....

OmegaZero

So it was an extremely detailed partial mask, with I can only assume animatronic facial controls to pull off some of the stuff during the interview?

#TeamPuppet?

Nah, that's just the mask Kojima wore at GDC.
The latter gif is an entirely different person.

EDIT: The hell is going on in this thread? People are taking this a bit too seriously now.

DrBo42

Where's the guy that was like "I know animation when I see it, I do this for a living." I've got your crow ready, sir.

Top Bottom