• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway sold 14k and it's made me depressed. See why it killed my cynicism inside.

isnt it at 50k according to latest NPD numbers.
so its second month is better than first month. and maybe third month will be better than second month

Its second month was probably better due to people buying it for kids at Christmas. January is unlikely to have higher sales figures.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
As Tearaway can't be praised enough, here is another anecdote targeted at people who like to play the very best games of this medium.

I have a 7 years old girl, fan of Kirby, Mario but mostly Animal Crossing. She has been playing on Wii and 3DS for a couple of years, I made her test about 20 games. Plus twice as many on iOS.

So I recently got a Vita (sex) and while I didn't let her touch it for a while (sex is for adults)(probably the main reason why Vita is not selling as much as 3DS BTW), I found Tearaway so good I started building Origamis for my girls (I did a Squirrel, an apple and a flower, it's amazing).

So my eldest girl asked me where I got these from, and I showed her Tearaway. End of the story is, she's now 30% in and told me yesterday it's the best game she has ever played.

Buy a Vita you crazy gamers. And get Tearaway, for you, your girlfriend, your kids, and for the sake of this medium.
Awesome story!

My 4 year old daughter really likes Tearaway, but it's just a little too complex for her.

She also really likes Gravity Rush, Men's Room Mayhem, Jacob Jones and a few others. Although I've had to explicitly state that she's not allowed to play Hotline Miami or Soul Sacrifice.
Vita now has parental control IIRC, but i don't use it so i don't know how it works, try using it.

coldone

Tearaway is my GOTY 2013. It's a shame so few people were interested in it.

Sony put it out to die. Tearaway, KZ;Merc, Puppeteer and so many other games like Sony had no advertisement. They were too busy talking about PS4. They should hire some folks from EA or Activision Mktg department to run Sony Mktg.

I haven t played it but for all the videos I saw I still don t understand what this game is.

3D platformer similar to Ratchet&Clank with all the objects in the world was made out of paper. Because the entire world is made of paper, there are some interesting puzzles to solve by cutting, folding, tearing the paper objects in the environment. Art is Amazing, it oozes creativity at every corner. Just the imagination that the have to model every single object just using paper is brilliant.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I haven t played it but for all the videos I saw I still don t understand what this game is.

Imo that's one of the reasons of the low sales, Tearaway can't be explained without spoil everything, it's a continue surprise, people has to play it to understand it.
Let's say that gameplay-wise most of the time it's a mix of action-adventure/3d platformer, but Tearaway it way more than that.

Superman

It breaks my heart this game bombed so badly. It's one of the best games I've played in recent memory. Buy it, you won't regret it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This is what I get from it. There s basically no challenge ?

Yeah, there is none, besides some Achievements (do not get killed in each chapter). It's a linear, but at times slightly open 3D platformer that focusses mainly on creation / creativity aspects. While the jumping mechanics are simple, the level design undemanding, it has a very charming world with nice (presentational) ideas and a lot of room for personification. Building your own "stickers" to place on your character and other characters, taking pictures of the world or your character. There is also at least one use of each feature the Vita has: Back-Touchpad, Touchscreen, Motion controls, camera (only for presentational purposes) and microphone (only for presentational purposes). It's not a visual novel though, considering the story is rather simple, yet charming. You don't even read anything in the game, what is there in regards to story gets told via voice.

EDIT: I'v read there are puzzles in this game a few posts above mine, but I do not agree. There are places where you need to interact playfully with the paper world, but it's always absolutely obvious what you have to do. It's the same kind of puzzle as if there was a button in a Zelda game in plain sight that only opens next door, also in plain sight.

pantsmith

It's a Visual Novel

Tearaway isnt hard, though it is freakishly interactive and introduces all kinds of new ways to interact with your videogames. You will play and grin but maybe never play a difficult section over and over.

More specifically, it is fun as fuck.

Calling it a visual novel is the equivalent of making a nasty comment at it on the street and Tearaway deserves so much more than that.

marrec

Banned
The late game is more challenging than the first 4 hours, but it's not going to really push anyone who's used to platforming. The fun really doesn't come from completing a level (though some of the optional challenges take a bit of brain power) it really comes from the charm of the world and personal story telling.

Paskil

I bought my copy after Christmas, so count me as doing my part to make this game sell beyond the intitial, dismal numbers. I've only played it for a bit and then got sidetracked by other games on my backlog. Still going to finish it for sure in the next few months.

RooMHM

Tearaway isnt hard, though it is freakishly interactive and introduces all kinds of new ways to interact with your videogames. You will play and grin but maybe never play a difficult section over and over.

More specifically, it is fun as fuck.

Calling it a visual novel is the equivalent of making a nasty comment at it on the street and Tearaway deserves so much more than that.
But if it does absolutely nothing with these new mechanics, that s absolutely useless, it s a waste of potential.

I always want to take a reference hl2 which introduced physics based gameplay and the gravity gun. It wasn t a gimmick, you used it for puzzles and more importantly you could experiment with it. I feel like tearaway allows you to do what the devs decided you could do.
It seems it s definitely a game that s not for me, that s sure.

bidguy

Banned
problem isnt the game
its the platform and no marketing

never heard of this game outside neogaf
shame because it looks solid

marrec

Banned
But if it does absolutely nothing with these new mechanics, that s absolutely useless, it s a waste of potential.

I always want to take a reference hl2 which introduced physics based gameplay and the gravity gun. It wasn t a gimmick, you used it for puzzles and more importantly you could experiment with it. I feel like tearaway allows you to do what the devs decided you could do.

That's not true at all. The new mechanics are used throughout the game and especially in the last quarter of the game to great platforming effect. They aren't just superfluous.

EL CUCO

I just finished it this morning. These are a few words that crossed my mind after completing it, I also tweeted these :)

Creative
Charming
Immersive
Clever
Engaging
Magical
Responsive (controls)
Fun

Its also surprisingly challenging. There are still a bunch of presents that I'm missing that I have no clue how to reach yet.

Looking forward to diving back into the paper planet to get the Platinum!

DirtyLarry

That's a pretty definitive opinion for someone who admits they have only watched videos and not played it, especially when a lot of the mechanics being discussed are tactile.

But who am I to judge, right?

pantsmith

I spent two hours (!!!) designing the right crown for a squirrel king. Just because it wasnt difficult (mechanically speaking) and I couldnt lose didnt mean it wasnt fun or interesting or innovative or charming or anything else.

Apples to Apples isnt any less of a game than Monopoly, its just a different set of rules and mehanics to explore and interact with.

Fun is fun, a damn good time is a damn good time. I dont need Iota to kill headcrabs to call any of Tearaways mechanics successful.

I bought Tearaway last weekend thanks to some GAF members. Finished it a few days ago. It's an excellent game that really shows off all the vita's features. It's a shame no one is buying this game.

Arondight

I bought Tearaway last weekend thanks to some GAF members. Finished it a few days ago. It's an excellent game that really shows off all the vita's features. It's a shame no one is buying this game.

Yeah, the drawing and creation sections are the most fun even if they take time. No matters what you draw, it usually always ends up looking great. The snow section is a favourite of mine. What I made didn't look anything like a snowflake but when it appeared everywhere while playing, it looked fantastic.

There really no excuse for vita owners not to own it. Even if you didn't enjoy the demo, the game was on discount several times at a completely cheap and incredible price and worth it even at 60 bucks.

Bought the vita for this game and find the enjoyment overall insanely good. Still haven't finished the game as well.

ys45

I asked for this game for Christmas, finished the game during my vacation.
I felt sorry for the developers while playing the game because it's really a good game and very original .

I really hate how video game industry/community turned out since the last years if it's not a clone of something like CoD or a big fucking AAA budget title you get poor sales now -_-
And maybe the fact it's on Vita did not help either .

Anyway, I recommend playing this game if you want an original and good platformer .

Thats a winner. Mine just played through it (seemingly) mindlessly in a few days and later - during talks of wanting to trade it in at Gamestop for a few dollars - even admitted she played it in the dark most of the time, not even taking pictures of herself.

That said, I enjoyed it and have convinced my roommate to play through it. (Though, admittedly, Dont Starve seems to have him more hooked.)

That's too bad. It is definitely a game where you need to stop and do what it says and take your time. Take pictures, decorate the characters (especially your own), explore the world, and just enjoy the ride. It makes the ending hit a lot harder

Hopefully tearaway's budget was so small and they sold enough copied physically and digitally that we will get a sequel. This game has so much charm but SCEA basically sentenced it to death by not marketing it at all.

curb

Banned
I asked for this game for Christmas, finished the game during my vacation.
I felt sorry for the developers while playing the game because it's really a good game and very original .

Well, in all fairness it was made by a small team, presumably with a smaller budget. If you combine that with the fact that Vita owners buy a lot digitally perhaps it will do alright in the end.

Yeah, the drawing and creation sections are the most fun even if they take time. No matters what you draw, it usually always ends up looking great. The snow section is a favourite of mine. What I made didn't look anything like a snowflake but when it appeared everywhere while playing, it looked fantastic.

Oh man, I had no idea how to make a snowflake. I wanted to keep playing but didn't want to spend a bunch of time on it so I just got blue paper and made a bunch of squiggles all over the places and cut it. It came out great. It looked perfect for me.

I think it'd be funny to make something random there like a cat head or a hotdog. Then it just starts snowing kitties.

RooMHM

That's a pretty definitive opinion for someone who admits they have only watched videos and not played it, especially when a lot of the mechanics being discussed are tactile.

But who am I to judge, right?
Should have said "it looks to me" you re right. But it really looks that way. Is it only new input or really new mechanics that change what you do in the game ?

curb

Banned
~50k retail in North America (36k in December).

I could see it selling around that digitally. If that's the case, 75-100k isn't bad for a niche system in a niche market.

Edit: I can see it having a long tail too for new Vita owners. I'm sure it will do fine in the long run.

meanspartan

The Vita isn't doing well in the US for certain and is doing slightly but not substantionally better in UK from what I can see.

Is there a chance that Sony could 'relaunch' the console by doing a full release for the Vita Slim? By now there's a good libary of games which a lot of people haven't heard of, Tearaway being great example of which, and the system software is mature.

How much do they really care at this point though? The Ps4 is off to a great start so I think they will focus there. Perhaps they are fine with Vita just treading water and being an "enhancement" of sorts to the Ps4, and just getting the occasional indie releases/ JRPGs.

Listonosh

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but many wonder why studios don't take risks and rather rehash the same thing year after year. Tearaway is a terrific example of this. The gaming masses just aren't willing to try out something new and take that chance with investment, when they can purchase Call of Duty 24 Aliens R Coming and get the exact gameplay experience they expect when they fork over their hard earned money.

It's a really sad situation, especially since I loved Tearaway and games that dare to try something different, like Journey. But the sales of Tearaway absolutely prove this point.

dzelly

I really liked this game, but I found myself a bit bored at times. It felt a bit drawn out at times, but it made me smile more than any game has in a long time.

BLunted

Banned
Never even heard of this game. Did a bit a research and it looks cool. Would probably try it if it was on Steam, but not buying a Vita for it.

KalBalboa

Banned
Never even heard of this game. Did a bit a research and it looks cool. Would probably try it if it was on Steam, but not buying a Vita for it.

There's no way you could play that game outside of a Vita, let alone on a PC. Just look at how it controls and the basic gameplay.

The use of camera, front and rear touch screens, etc.

BLunted

Banned
There's no way you could play that game outside of a Vita, let alone on a PC. Just look at how it controls and the basic gameplay.

The use of camera, front and rear touch screens, etc.

That's a shame. Looks cool and I usually don't like platformers.

Castcoder

Banned
I didn't like what I played from the demo, but then again it's a game you would never want to leave the house with. I get embarrassed by having to blow into the microphone of a DS, why the hell would I want to play a demo of Tearaway in a Best Buy, during the holiday season, next to the PS4 kiosk?

I do want to try the full game, alone, in private, from what I've heard.

People calling Tearaway a "Visual Novel" clearly have no idea what the fuck a visual novel is.

Tearaway is a platformer that utilizes a bunch of touchscreen/touchpad/gyro gimmicks in its gameplay. It's not particularly challenging, no, but there's still plenty of actual gameplay.

It also occasionally asks you to take pictures and use the touchscreen to make construction paper cut-outs. These cut-outs can be of dicks if you want.

Daingurse

After beating the game a few weeks ago, I can comfortably say that Tearaway was one of the best games of 2013 that I played. Just so great to see all the functions of the Vita taken advantage of. Gorgeous, gorgeous visuals, even having played KZ: Mercenary which I bought during the PSN sale, Tearaway is the best looking game of the platform to me. The art design is spectacular, crafting a beautiful world of paper. The IQ I must say is also goddamn immaculate.

igLYQiSlDFTk9.jpg

il5cJvmk1NmmD.jpg

Hardly a jaggy to be found. These compressed VIta screens really don't do the game any justice either. Hell, no media I saw anywhere did. Only when I played the game myself, did I see how impressive the visuals truly are. Jaw dropping for me honestly, couldn't believe what I was looking at.

No, it's not the most challenging game I've ever played, but honestly I think I prioritize difficulty a lot lower than most people on this board, as far as what I look for in a game. I don't play games to simply be challenged, and I can enjoy an experience like Tearaway because of that. Gotta say though, gameplay really kicked into high gear after the acquisition of a certain item. Almost felt like a Gravity-Gun-lite, really changed up the gameplay, and it truly made the combat fun in the later stages of the game.

jgmo870

Banned
I didn't like what I played from the demo, but then again it's a game you would never want to leave the house with. I get embarrassed by having to blow into the microphone of a DS, why the hell would I want to play a demo of Tearaway in a Best Buy, during the holiday season, next to the PS4 kiosk?

I do want to try the full game, alone, in private, from what I've heard.

There's no blowing in Tearaway. There's a part where they want you to record a voice so I recorded some Seinfeld.

Top Bottom