• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tears of the Kingdom wish list

L*][*N*K

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is only two weeks away, needless to say this is the most anticipated game for me since they announced it back in 2019, and after all the previews and hands on demos, here are three things I wish the game will have that they have yet to show:

- Base of Operations: a sky island for yourself that you can build your house on, have storage for items and weapons, maybe even grow crops for cooking, the game is leaning heavily into simulations and why not go all in?

- Survival Mode: a full on survival mode, with Hunger and thirst and all that, but maybe with Permadeath optiona.

- By the end of the game when you fix the Master Sword, that becomes the unbreakable weapon, no energy charges or anything, a weapon that you can use however you want.

What is your wishlist?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm not gonna wishlist "proper" dungeons because I know we're not getting them. It goes against their entire design philosophy with BOTW/TOTK.

But, that doesn't mean they can't at least all look different. Give me my typical fire, water, forest etc. temples.

GymWolf

Lol where do i begin:

Proper dungeons
Better paced skill acquiring
Way Better enemy/boss quality/variety
Better enemy ia
More engaging story and characters
Rewarding exploration/interesting loot
Way deeper combat than backflip + flurry
Hopefully stable 30 fps
Way more challenging
More random events between enemies and npcs on the map

I guess dreaming is free of charge.

Last edited:

Paasei

Weapons that do not break.

Actual dungeons

A world that isn't boring and empty.

I didn't like the first one at all, and also did not complete it because of that. Probably not even buying this game, when I think about it.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Biggest thing is a world that actually rewards exploration and far better quests.

If those rewards are cool and useful gadgets used with the new mechanics, then that's fine. I just don't want to have a situation where you find secret hidden chest in a cave and it has 5 arrows or a claymore that will break after one fight.

I have a feeling they will over emphasize the use of the new mechanics and abilities, but hope I'm wrong.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Dungeons and if we can't have those then enemy strongholds like Hyrule Castle in BOTW that houses some of the strongest enemies.

Challenging 1 on 1 fights against humanoid (sub)bosses who will punish you for just spamming attack.
What a wonderful first post. Thank you good guy/gal

L*][*N*K

Banned
Weapons that do not break.

Actual dungeons

A world that isn't boring and empty.

I didn't like the first one at all, and also did not complete it because of that. Probably not even buying this game, when I think about it.
You are not going to like Tears, save you 70$ buddy

Kenpachii

The same as botw, more exploration tho and a bit better dungeon design. I wish there was less crafting, i hate crafting but oh well will just do it minimal.

Co-op online multiplayer would be something else

Last edited:

kunonabi

Dungeons - They don't need to necessarily follow the modern Zelda formula but I want distinct locations with their own story setup, lore, enemies, bosses, and gameplay ideas.

Better side quests - The side quests and npcs in BotW had the best writing but most of the quests themselves were pretty dull. Add some more variety and make them more compelling.
Korok seeds - Now that we know that they're back I want less of them, no repeat puzzles, and an actual reward for doing all of them.

More enemy variety in general - Things are looking good so far but we still need more.

Better rewards - I don't want 90% of chests to just be breakable weapons I don't have inventory space for. I want interesting relics, spells,etc. Stuff that actually makes the effort worth it and surprises me. I know some people liked the shrines as rewards as to big overworld puzzles but I didn't. Give me something special and unexpected.

Nerf flurry rush and the deflect - The gimmick of beating the game at the very start sounds nice on paper but adding in stupidly strong base mechanics to facilitate it did more harm than good.

Master Sword - I have a sneaky suspicion this is going to be the end of the Master Sword but screw that. I want it back to its former glory with none of this recharge garbage.

Peaks and valleys - The original BotW is a very flat game. There is almost no feeling of escalation and it never really builds to a peak whether it be in terms of the gameplay, the music, or the story and its emotional payoffs. I want a real adventure that gets me invested emotionally and gameplay that continues to build on itself instead of just repeating the same thing I did hours ago. The Gerudo section was really the only area in BotW that didn't completely fall into this trap so I'd like to see them build on what they did there.

Don't me get wrong BotW's approach could have worked but they completely whiffed on the execution especially with the memories, the "good" ending, and the battle with Ganon itself which was possibly one of the lamest, limpest, and pointless final battles I can think of.

in short, less copy/paste content and add some excitement and spice.

Edit: Thought of another one. Instead of armor upgrades resulting in pointless stat boosts you should be able to add fuse slots. You could add shields for extra defense, ice chus to the boots to roller skate, spikes to stop enemies from grabbing you, or an eyeball to your back to act as Spidey-Sense,etc.

Last edited:

Fbh

- Proper dungeons: Doesn't have to be completely old school but if we get something like the divine beasts again I'd like them to be longer and have more of a unique theme instead of all of them looking nearly the same

- More rewarding exploration: Traversal in BOTW was a blast but exploration eventually grew boring once you figure out there's almost nothing to find outside of weapons that will break after a couple of fights. Hopefully this time around there's better things to find, have more armors or accesories, give me rare materials for valuable upgrades or some resource to upgrade my abilities and stats, or hell even just finding money would be more rewarding IF there's a well made economy with valuable (but expensive) thigns to buy

- Better sidequests: More interesting quests with more unique stories and mechanics instead of all the boring fetch quests

- More enemy variety: It's the same engine, it's using the same map as the groundwork for the world andthey've had 6 years.... I really hope this has like 2X or 3X the amount of enemy variety of the original.

- Better bosses: Most of the bosses in the original were awful. Hopefully they are both better and more varied this time around.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is only two weeks away, needless to say this is the most anticipated game for me since they announced it back in 2019, and after all the previews and hands on demos, here are three things I wish the game will have that they have yet to show:

- Base of Operations: a sky island for yourself that you can build your house on, have storage for items and weapons, maybe even grow crops for cooking, the game is leaning heavily into simulations and why not go all in?

- Survival Mode: a full on survival mode, with Hunger and thirst and all that, but maybe with Permadeath optiona.

- By the end of the game when you fix the Master Sword, that becomes the unbreakable weapon, no energy charges or anything, a weapon that you can use however you want.

What is your wishlist?
Wish Gaf would unblock my thread so we can contemplate all those who shat on the game before we had much info and to witness a few brave souls change their mind in real time.

My only wish for the game is that it blows me away like BOTW, Red Dead Redemption, Portal 2 and a select few others have done in my gaming life.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Large, complex and memorable dungeons.

- Princess Zelda as a playable character.

400px-Zelda_-_TotK_key_art.png

- Ganondorf in 20% of the story as a Nerfed Playable character.

c4970668-880e-427c-bebe-ac0c383e0c30-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-ganondorflarge.jpg

- FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MORE DIFFERENT ENEMIES WITHOUT DIFFERENT COLORS!!!

- Cooperative mode 2P, if you are accompanied by an NPC

1560420963_283590_1560421181_noticia_normal.jpg

- Marin of Links Awakening or Malon from OoT as a DLC character or a spin off sidequest.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

My wish list is proper dungeons, more enemies and no weapon break.
Weapon break is happening so ill wait till the mod

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
Large, complex and memorable dungeons.

- Princess Zelda as a playable character.

400px-Zelda_-_TotK_key_art.png

- Ganondorf in 20% of the story as a Nerfed Playable character.

c4970668-880e-427c-bebe-ac0c383e0c30-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-ganondorflarge.jpg

- FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MORE DIFFERENT ENEMIES WITHOUT DIFFERENT COLORS!!!

- Cooperative mode 2P, if you are accompanied by an NPC

1560420963_283590_1560421181_noticia_normal.jpg

- Marin of Links Awakening or Malon from OoT as a DLC character or a spin off sidequest.
That is not a wishlist, that is “what do you think will never happen in a Zelda game”

Shifty1897

I don’t understand why are you people so Salty about Zelda reviews, God of War got a 10, The Last of Us 2 got a 10, ffs neither of those games would be an 8 if it was multiplatform or made by Ubisoft
I'm just saying that Skyward Sword is not a 10. Breath of the Wild is. I'm salty about that one because I got burned by it.

Yoda

I've been replaying BoTW for the first time in a few years in anticipation of the ToTK. I suppose I differ from most of the thread so far as I do NOT want them to turn it into another "standard" AAA open world RPG. I find the survival light style gameplay keeps things varied and interesting despite having poor enemy variety by today's standards. I didn't think BoTW was lacking in story too much compared to other Zelda games and I suspect had it not been open world the amount of story would've been the same, so if it's a choice between the two, I'd take less story (granted if they can add more without it feeling tacked on I won't complain).

I think my main gripe was with the rewards for exploration and I don't necessarily mean loot. I just completed a side quest which I had skipped on my original playthrough where I needed to search a beach for a bunch of tablets then solve a small riddle about crouching in a circle on the ground. It was great fun as there were no waypoints to tablets and the environment (moonlight) was used a way to help the player locate the tablets, along with some hints from the quest giver's dialogue. Within that quest I used a lot of the game's mechanics, which were optional and at the same time not thrown in your face to do via some UI dialogue or an overbearing amount of assistance from the quest giver. After completing the quest... I was rewarded with a shrine. Even worse it was a shrine without a puzzle, just a box with a (nice) weapon. The irony is this quest takes place right in-front a cliffside ruin... which has a door that is locked... Instead the shrine comes out of the ground in front of the door :(. (you can kind of see it here: https://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/Kah_Yah_Shrine#/media/File:KahYahShrine.jpg)

I'd much rather have been lead into another dungeon, one with an art-style that matched its surroundings and maybe educated me about the lore of the regions/people/etc and/or continued the quest in some way. I'd really like to see ToTK "challenging" locales have real variety or a real dungeon crawl level of immersion. The shrines started to feel like a tech demo for the Switch (here's what you can do even on limited hardware). It felt cheap in 2017 and I suspect 6 years later it'd be a massive negative mark if they don't evolve from it.

Top Bottom