• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Repair

Tams

I couldn't find a thread on repairing tech, and I just finished repairing something so...

Three hours, Three hours of intense concentration and tension. But now my Sony RX100 MV is working again. I have now conditioned myself to hate ribbon cables, but I I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. Just ignore that I had to reassemble it three times because I kept on forgetting screws or putting them in the wrong place (and yes, I did use iFixit organisation trays - just dumb human syndrome).

So, have any of you fixed any tech lately?

Last edited:

bati

I don't usually touch electronics unless it involves reconnecting or replacing cables/components or some very basic soldering. Just don't have any background knowledge to tackle these things on a low level. But when it comes to using software to restore old devices back into working condition, that's more my forte. I recently flashed an old Samsung tablet that was pretty much useless, running Android 4.xx and was lagging and crashing so much that you couldn't do anything with it, opening browser took like 3 minutes and then it would crash. I slapped a custom rom on it and I'm now using it as a button box for ETS2. Speed improved by ~10x and battery life by ~5x+ minimum, I shit you not.

I'm currently in the process of breathing new life into my mom's 10 year old laptop, just waiting for a pair of ram sticks to arrive, then I'll do a deep clean, put on some user friendly linux distro with basic apps and that will be it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've been fixing things here and there lately. I have the soldering station out connecting some sensors and microcontrollers to some ESP32's for a garden project I'm doing so I've been replacing caps and fuses on a few things I've been meaning to get around to. It has to be big enough for me to see, so no microsoldering going on over here. I've fixed a 6 can mini fridge, and LED mood lighting lamp and an old RC car that needed a new DC motor in the past couple of weeks.

Cyberpunkd

Fixed unresponsive touch panel on the oven. Had to cut the power for one minute to make the circuit board re-boot. Working as new.

Top Bottom