• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Gazunta

OK, this is a problem with the Intuos 2 tablet I'm using. The tablet's been fine until recently I lost the pen I was using with it. I got a replacement pen and now sometimes it feels...off. It's as if the pen is drunk. Straight lines become curves, smooth strokes turn into jittery messes and there's a lot of lag - sometimes. The annoying part is that it only happens sometimes.

Is the magnet busted in the pen? Is the tablet broken? I'm using Photoshop CS and CS3 and have the same problem on three different PCs.

F

finskninja

Unconfirmed Member
Gazunta said:
OK, this is a problem with the Intuos 2 tablet I'm using. The tablet's been fine until recently I lost the pen I was using with it. I got a replacement pen and now sometimes it feels...off. It's as if the pen is drunk. Straight lines become curves, smooth strokes turn into jittery messes and there's a lot of lag - sometimes. The annoying part is that it only happens sometimes.

Is the magnet busted in the pen? Is the tablet broken? I'm using Photoshop CS and CS3 and have the same problem on three different PCs.

I have heard that intuos 1 pens dont work with intuos 2 boards, are you sure it is the same model on the pen and table?

Leunam

Leunam said:
I'm becoming very frustrated with my computer. I installed Windows 7 Home Premium from a clean install, yet I am still having the same problems I was having earlier where games would not run. I was trying to play CoD5 and I couldn't do anything since the screen just kept blacking out every few seconds before going back to normal and blacking out again. I can't find drivers for this motherboard (ASUSTek Benicia 1.01, according to CPU-Z) and I've already updated the drivers for my 8800 GT. Nothing in my device manager is popping up that needs my attention.

What is there to do?

Bumping for next page. :(

captmcblack said:
Now, two new questions:
1. In my house, I have a wireless network created via a Belkin F5D9230-4 Wireless G MIMO router. All the other computers in the house can connect to it just fine, except for two things - my brother's laptop (a Toshiba Satellite M105-S3001), and my Xbox 360 (connected via the original Xbox MN-740 Wireless Adapter). The laptop can see the network, but won't connect to it. The Xbox won't see the network at all.
What can I do to fix this?

2. I'd like to try a new wireless router out, and I understand that dual-band Wireless N routers are currently the best. What is the one with the longest range? My house has a lot of rooms, and I want to make sure I can reach all my Wireless G devices!

Quoted for the next page.

yodandy

So I just bought a new cpu/mobo/ram combo...

will i have to reformat/reinstall xp? or will it boot into it, and i can then apply the necessary new drivers...

clav

captmcblack said:
Quoted for the next page.
1. MN-740 only supports to WEP encryption. I'm guessing you have WPA or WPA2. You can put WPA using a different firmware, but I heard it makes it extremely unstable (not recommended.)

Either switch your router's encryption to WEP or get a new wireless bridge (replace the MN-740). Just to let you know, WEP is highly insecure, and it takes about 10 minutes max for someone to break in if you know anyone in your neighborhood who does that.

2. I would purchase a router that supports custom firmware (tomato preferred).

I like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023&Tpk=asus wl-520gu

Some people like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190&Tpk=wrt54gl

I prefer the Asus one since it has a USB port, and using unofficial builds of Tomato, you can utilize the USB port and turn it into a print server/hard drive storage.

If you want to make the jump to wireless N, just be sure to purchase one that works with dd-wrt.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
yodandy said:

will i have to reformat/reinstall xp? or will it boot into it, and i can then apply the necessary new drivers...

It's kind of a crapshoot, as it might blue screen on boot, but I've done it without reformatting before and 95% of the time, it boots fine. Be prepared though, as incidentals like USB or ethernet ports might not work until you install the right drivers. If you can, get all the drivers on a CDR before you do the switch.

yodandy

Oh I plan do do some massive driver hunting before I install, i figured it was a shot in the dark, but im hoping I can at least get in there and not have to reformat... :\

gblues

Banned
yodandy said:

You might need to reactivate XP, but it should work; I once replaced an entire motherboard on an XP rig and was shocked that it not only booted but worked flawlessly once the motherboard drivers were loaded. I had tried something similar with Windows 95... yeah that didn't work.

Swag

So I'm having some trouble with my display driver. I'm running a Radeon 4890 with the October 22 Windows 7 64 bit driver, I've noticed in a couple games though pretty much anything that puts my card under stress (Borderlands, Shattered Horizon etc) the driver will crash and reset, sometimes it won't even reset making me force restart my computer.

I originally thought it was a overheating problem so I started manually running my fan to 60~80% speeds depending on the game, however this doesn't seem to fix the problem in all games, I've had 4 driver failures in the past 3 hours playing Shattered Horizon. I really have no clue what the problem here could be, I'm guessing that it could be that my card can't handle the games with everything high at 1920 x 1200 and crashes?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
OK gaf

I have a M4A78-E motherboard from asus and some OCZ GOLD 1066 DDR2 RAM

now this says that it's 1066Mhz however my computer starts as "800Mhz unganged mode"

I want that to say 1066. how do I change the RAM speed? I heard I have to mess with voltages etc....

Ok i have a LCD PC monitor with these two ports:

2pshkk8.jpg

can i plug a PS3 into it somehow? I don't think my screen is HD

Runus

Sebulon3k said:
So I'm having some trouble with my display driver. I'm running a Radeon 4890 with the October 22 Windows 7 64 bit driver, I've noticed in a couple games though pretty much anything that puts my card under stress (Borderlands, Shattered Horizon etc) the driver will crash and reset, sometimes it won't even reset making me force restart my computer.

I originally thought it was a overheating problem so I started manually running my fan to 60~80% speeds depending on the game, however this doesn't seem to fix the problem in all games, I've had 4 driver failures in the past 3 hours playing Shattered Horizon. I really have no clue what the problem here could be, I'm guessing that it could be that my card can't handle the games with everything high at 1920 x 1200 and crashes?

I have a 4850 that does this same crap constantly. And with the same result as you with it sometimes requiring a complete reboot. I have tried wiping the drivers and reinstalling. I monitored temps to see if something maybe was overheating and causing the errors. Nothing seems to work. Some days it works perfectly too and then the next day it will crash 5 times in 30 minutes. It has also done it in both Vista and Wndows 7. And Windows 7 was installed after a HD wipe. So my conclusion is that they just have shitty drivers or maybe my particular brand of card sucks. It's an Asus by the way. But I wanted to mention this stuff in case it helps anyone figure out exactly what is causing this because I would like to know too.

Messypandas said:
Ok i have a LCD PC monitor with these two ports:

2pshkk8.jpg

can i plug a PS3 into it somehow? I don't think my screen is HD

You need an HDMI to DVI cable. You'll need to use the AV port or Optical port for audio.
All monitors are "HD" for the most part

fudgey_lumpkins said:
You need an HDMI to DVI cable. You'll need to use the AV port or Optical port for audio.
All monitors are "HD" for the most part

Thanks for the reply.

I got this yesterday hoping it would do just that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GDI6FC/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

but nothing happened when i turned the PS3 on. I thought maybe because my screen wasn't HD it wouldn't receive a signal. Is there anyway to do it VGA or am i doing something wrong in the HDMI-DVI route? I didn't have anything plugged in for the sound

Swag

Runus said:
It's an Asus by the way. But I wanted to mention this stuff in case it helps anyone figure out exactly what is causing this because I would like to know too.

This is mine: HIS 4890 Turbo

I'm just going to assume it's shitty drivers if both of us are having the same issue. Fucking sucks cause I can't play anything decently without worrying about crashing. Thinking of getting old drivers to see if it fixes the problem because I did a driver wipe / reinstall and it didn't do jack shit to fix it :lol

clav

Messypandas said:
Thanks for the reply.

but nothing happened when i turned the PS3 on. I thought maybe because my screen wasn't HD it wouldn't receive a signal. Is there anyway to do it VGA or am i doing something wrong in the HDMI-DVI route? I didn't have anything plugged in for the sound
Is your monitor HDCP compliant?

If not, it won't work.
catfish said:
OK gaf

I have a M4A78-E motherboard from asus and some OCZ GOLD 1066 DDR2 RAM

now this says that it's 1066Mhz however my computer starts as "800Mhz unganged mode"

I want that to say 1066. how do I change the RAM speed? I heard I have to mess with voltages etc....

You're basically overclocking at this point.

Your RAM speed is traditionally limited by the front side bus (FSB) from your CPU.

There are plenty of guides on Google. You'll need a lot of patience and some time.

Runus said:
I have a 4850 that does this same crap constantly. And with the same result as you with it sometimes requiring a complete reboot. I have tried wiping the drivers and reinstalling. I monitored temps to see if something maybe was overheating and causing the errors. Nothing seems to work. Some days it works perfectly too and then the next day it will crash 5 times in 30 minutes. It has also done it in both Vista and Wndows 7. And Windows 7 was installed after a HD wipe. So my conclusion is that they just have shitty drivers or maybe my particular brand of card sucks. It's an Asus by the way. But I wanted to mention this stuff in case it helps anyone figure out exactly what is causing this because I would like to know too.
What's your power supply? If it's one of those crappy ones with low efficiency, you're looking to replace that.

claviertekky said:
Is your monitor HDCP compliant?

If not, it won't work.

You're basically overclocking at this point.

Your RAM speed is traditionally limited by the front side bus (FSB) from your CPU.

Probably not. Is there any other way or do i have to upgrade my monitor?

clav

Messypandas said:
Probably not. Is there any other way or do i have to upgrade my monitor?
You can try purchasing a PS3 VGA cable for your monitor.

Here's one from play-asia (Official cables from Sony): http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zp-49-en-70-1pn5.html

I'm guessing you are from the UK so here's what Amazon.co.uk yields: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=PS3+VGA+cable&x=0&y=0

Now that you'll probably need y converter cable to convert the dual analog into one stereo cable line for audio.

Or hm... let me think a bit more, is it possible to use a DVI -> VGA converter with the current cable you have? Upon some research, no is the simple answer.

claviertekky said:
You can try purchasing a PS3 VGA cable for your monitor.

Here's one from play-asia (Official cables from Sony): http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zp-49-en-70-1pn5.html

I'm guessing you are from the UK so here's what Amazon.co.uk yields: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=PS3+VGA+cable&x=0&y=0

Now that you'll probably need y converter cable to convert the dual analog into one stereo cable line for audio.

Or hm... let me think a bit more, is it possible to use a DVI -> VGA converter with the current cable you have? Upon some research, no is the simple answer.

Yeah. Basically i was thinking HDMI - DVI -> VGA was a last resort because the adapters were pricey and the natural cable didn't work to begin with.

This looks promising. Will try this. And dude thanks again, you helped me fix my computer and finish Fallout 3 a while ago and i do appreciate the tips.

clav

Messypandas said:
Yeah. Basically i was thinking HDMI - DVI -> VGA was a last resort because the adapters were pricey and the natural cable didn't work to begin with.

This looks promising. Will try this. And dude thanks again, you helped me fix my computer and finish Fallout 3 a while ago and i do appreciate the tips.
Hold on to the thought on play-asia. I need to do some research on it. Some user is complaining he can't get a higher resolution than 480p.

Ok. Please forget what I told you about the cable from play-asia. Apparently D-Terminal cables are only standard on Japanese TV sets.

Try the amazon one instead (Sorry this one is Amazon USA). I'm showing you a review.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-PS3-VGA-H...tBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R369LN4M0982XP

Note this cable works to perfection for I have one etc... When using it for PS3 go to display settings and select D-terminal so you can get 720p or higher display. I would recommend to stay at 720p for 1080 i and p is not suited for a analog connection. For the Wii it works wonders just like using a regular component cable for the system. All you have to do with Wii is just hook it up correctly and it should automatically be in 480p. This device is good for consumers who would like to use their PC monitors for a high-res picture.

Pros:
Works with any PC monitor that has a VGA male input. (note that this vga cable has a female output)
Can get 720p for PS3 and 480p with Wii with no hassle
Great Picture

Cons:
Sometimes when playing certain Wii games like Call of Duty World at War and Mario Kart the screen may go black when you get killed/Hit by a explosion
Image may distort if trying to do full HD on a monitor
you may have to adjust your monitor's screen to get the right picture.

claviertekky said:
Hold on to the thought on play-asia. I need to do some research on it. Some user is complaining he can't get a higher resolution than 480p.

Ok. Please forget what I told you about the cable from play-asia. Apparently D-Terminal cables are only standard on Japanese TV sets.

Try the amazon one instead (Sorry this one is Amazon USA). I'm showing you a review.

[ur]http://www.amazon.com/Wii-PS3-VGA-HDTV-Cable-Nintendo/product-reviews/B0015MISAG/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R369LN4M0982XP[/url]

Ok that seems like the one. Thanks again :D

clav

Messypandas said:
Ok that seems like the one. Thanks again :D
The only drawback using VGA it seems as the max res. is 720p.

Your choice. I would go for a new monitor at this rate.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Okay, so for the last couple of days, my computers been acting very wonky. Everytime I start it up, it says, "one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency." Is my hard drive dying? Just this morning, it said that the ch.utility program wasn't working or something along that line and I wasn't able to actually use my computer.

Swag

So I took a picture of what exactly is happening with my graphics when it crashes.

http://i37.tinypic.com/6dvmh4.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/29112ko.jpg

The color changes depending on what was displaying on screen before the crash happened, in this case it was red because I had blood splatter from Modern Warfare 2. Second picture shows the line pattern closer in case that helps.

Graphics card was running around 66 degrees, between 50~100% activity.

Cheeto

Leunam said:
I'm becoming very frustrated with my computer. I installed Windows 7 Home Premium from a clean install, yet I am still having the same problems I was having earlier where games would not run. I was trying to play CoD5 and I couldn't do anything since the screen just kept blacking out every few seconds before going back to normal and blacking out again. I can't find drivers for this motherboard (ASUSTek Benicia 1.01, according to CPU-Z) and I've already updated the drivers for my 8800 GT. Nothing in my device manager is popping up that needs my attention.

What is there to do?
Are you playing on a TV or a regular monitor?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cheeto said:
Are you playing on a TV or a regular monitor?

Also, does your computer make any "peripheral disconnected/reconnected" sounds when the screen blanks?

Jangaroo said:
Okay, so for the last couple of days, my computers been acting very wonky. Everytime I start it up, it says, "one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency." Is my hard drive dying? Just this morning, it said that the ch.utility program wasn't working or something along that line and I wasn't able to actually use my computer.

This is usually not a cause for concern. Did you have any external hard drives or usb flash drives attached?

Next time you have it running and have a few free hours, definitely defragment your main drive.

goomba

Banned
I was drunk and spilt beer on my Macbook keyboard.

Four keys now dont work :(

Is there any hope?.

I'm using the on screen keyboard for those keys now, which is quite workable.

P.S Same night I had a bath and my Ipod shuffle fell into it :(

Me + Beer + IT = Disaster.

Jangaroo

Hawkian said:
Also, does your computer make any "peripheral disconnected/reconnected" sounds when the screen blanks?

This is usually not a cause for concern. Did you have any external hard drives or usb flash drives attached?

Next time you have it running and have a few free hours, definitely defragment your main drive.
Well the main problem I'm having right now is actually getting to my desktop. For some reason, my compunter keeps restarting now every time I try to reformat my computer so I can't even defrag my drive. Grrr.
Edit: I also didn't have any flash drives or USB devices plugged in when this started happening.

Dougald

goomba said:
I was drunk and spilt beer on my Macbook keyboard.

Four keys now dont work :(

Is there any hope?.

I'm using the on screen keyboard for those keys now, which is quite workable.

P.S Same night I had a bath and my Ipod shuffle fell into it :(

Me + Beer + IT = Disaster.

Probably no hope - buy a replacement keyboard from eBay and fit it, fairly simple job

cryptic

I've got a problem.Two days ago my computer froze up like it does every now and then so I hold the power button to turn it off then press it again to turn it back on. First time I turned it on I got nothing but a black screen and a small blinking underscore and I couldn't get it past that screen so I reset it again by holding the power button. I try to turn it on again and I get no picture. I decided to swap out the 8500 gt for a 4850 and the computer works fine once I do. Today I awoke to the same blinking underscore from family use and once again no picture. So gaf, anything I can do besides getting a new motherboard and are my cards fried?I'm on Windows 7 64 bit thanks for any help.

mike23

Messypandas said:
Thanks for the reply.

Did you hold the power button down for several seconds? You need to do that when switching to hdmi. It makes the ps3 reconfigure the video output.

cryptic

Welp, I just researed the card and turned on the pc and noticed the dreaded red light on my graphics card so that's dead. What a bunch of crap. So should I start ordering a motherboard cause mine's kinda old and I don't know what else could have killed the two cards. The power supply is a year or less old antec earthwatt whatever so I don't think it's that.Any suggestions? Thanks.

yodandy

So, just upgraded my ram/mobo/cpu to some new shit...just wondering what I need to do to get the best out of this?

Mobo: GIGABYTE | GA-MA770T-UD3P
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3
PSU: Tuniq Ripper PSU-RIP1000W
Vid Card: GeForce 8600 GTS
HDD's: Doesnt matter, but a about 2 TB's of IDE's

My main concern is getting the most out of the quad core and the ram, my computer knowledge goes decently deep (been building all my life, know the basics about drivers, can navigate/fix windows like a champ), but hardware wise, it only goes so deep.

How do I make sure im getting the most out of the ram? Freakin XP is only reporting 3.25 gigs of my ram, and ive flashed the bios to newest version, seems this is a limitation of 32 bit os, should i upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit? How do I know if I'm getting the most out of this quad core?

Thanks for any replies...

X26

Banned
I've got 2 accounts on my PC, my main one and a guest one that various others use sometimes. Somebody got me the BHO.JEW trojan through that account unfortunately, and I'm having trouble getting rid of it.

While on my account I don't notice anything different, and run malwarebytes and adaware and it doesn't turn up, but when I go onto the guest account it's out in full force, and it prevents me from even opening malwarebytes with bs messages, not to mention it opens up sites for viagra and crap

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
yodandy said:
How do I make sure im getting the most out of the ram? Freakin XP is only reporting 3.25 gigs of my ram, and ive flashed the bios to newest version, seems this is a limitation of 32 bit os, should i upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit? How do I know if I'm getting the most out of this quad core?

32-bit OS does not support more than 4 GB RAM, so get the 64-bit version of Win 7. As for the CPU, don't quote me on this, but I think applications/games have to be specifically coded for multithreading/hyperthreading (?) for you to get the most out of the quad core CPU.

X26 said:
I've got 2 accounts on my PC, my main one and a guest one that various others use sometimes. Somebody got me the BHO.JEW trojan through that account unfortunately, and I'm having trouble getting rid of it.

While on my account I don't notice anything different, and run malwarebytes and adaware and it doesn't turn up, but when I go onto the guest account it's out in full force, and it prevents me from even opening malwarebytes with bs messages, not to mention it opens up sites for viagra and crap

Have you tried booting into safe mode, log onthe guest account (or the administrator account) from there, and run malwarebytes, avira and/or MS security essentials?

X26

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
Have you tried booting into safe mode, log onthe guest account (or the administrator account) from there, and run malwarebytes, avira and/or MS security essentials?

not yet, haven't even thought of it actually, but will go do now

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
X26 said:
not yet, haven't even thought of it actually, but will go do now

As a general rule to everyone who reads this thread: if you're trying to run malware/virus scanners/removers, unless otherwise instructed, do it in safe mode.

Maldrien

X26 said:

Boot your pc in safe mode, log into the admin account and scan. Everything should be ok.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I have an odd problem.
I have a very picky and very rude and annoying user who is complaining about too many trays listed in word for a particular printer.

I have checked it on the server, Server 2008, and it looks fine but its different than 2003 print servers. I have added the printer onto my XP machine and my Win 7 netbook and in office 2007 and 2003 i can show the same tray issue he is complaining about.

He only sees them in word when you go to page setup -> paper. Thats the only place i can find them too.

This is not so much a tech problem but a tech hardware buying dilemma.

So I have a 2008 MBP and space is filling up. I want to buy an external HD for archiving. I also want to use said HD to capture video to burn to dvd.

Now I have 400 and 800 FireWire ports. I remember seeing external HDs that carry these ports are bigger than the USB HDs.

Question, should I get a USB HD since its smaller to carry around or should I get a HD one with firewire ports and deal with the bigger casing. Prolly aiming for a 500 to 1TB capacity. I guess its a trade off between convenience and purpose?

Is batching via firewire still the way to go or does it not matter as much now since USB has similar bandwidth throughput?

VAIL

Jangaroo said:
Well the main problem I'm having right now is actually getting to my desktop. For some reason, my compunter keeps restarting now every time I try to reformat my computer so I can't even defrag my drive. Grrr.
Edit: I also didn't have any flash drives or USB devices plugged in when this started happening.

Backup while you can and replace the drive...

Schrade

duracell017 said:
This is not so much a tech problem but a tech hardware buying dilemma.

So I have a 2008 MBP and space is filling up. I want to buy an external HD for archiving. I also want to use said HD to capture video to burn to dvd.

Now I have 400 and 800 FireWire ports. I remember seeing external HDs that carry these ports are bigger than the USB HDs.

Question, should I get a USB HD since its smaller to carry around or should I get a HD one with firewire ports and deal with the bigger casing. Prolly aiming for a 500 to 1TB capacity. I guess its a trade off between convenience and purpose?

Is batching via firewire still the way to go or does it not matter as much now since USB has similar bandwidth throughput?
USB has a theoretically higher bandwidth than Firewire 400 (480 vs. 400) but in practice it's not faster. Firewire 800 is definitely faster, too.

Try to find a combo drive that has both USB and Firewire and you'll be set.

X26 said:

sounds like format time to me.

Jangaroo

VAIL said:
Backup while you can and replace the drive...
Well my hard drive crashed shortly after posting that post. I managed to open notepad through the command prompt using the Vista Recovery tool and copy over my files though, so I suppose it isn't too bad. Some of my files seem to be corrupt though. Is there a way to fix this or is it screwed permanently? I'm going to assume the drive checks were the culprit.

Schrade said:
USB has a theoretically higher bandwidth than Firewire 400 (480 vs. 400) but in practice it's not faster. Firewire 800 is definitely faster, too.

Try to find a combo drive that has both USB and Firewire and you'll be set.

Hmm okay. Thanks!

Leunam said:

What is there to do?

pc specs? Since you're running from a clean install of windows it's possible that it's a hardware issue. And it's safe to assume you're running a legit copy of COD5? :3 did you have this problem before windows 7?

Bishman

I reformatted my main hard drive. Before I did this, I moved all the data and programs I wanted to another hard drive. Now after the main hard drive was reformatted, how do I get my programs to be fully restored.

I copied and pasted them back to my main hard drive, c:/... but the programs do not show up when I click start -> programs ->

Top Bottom