• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techland requests SteamSpy to remove their sales data; SteamSpy owner annoyed

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hadn't ever really perused SteamSpy before but just browing around I gotta say goddamn that Sean Murray guy walked away with like 30 million dollars in the last 2 weeks just from No Mans Sky Steam sales alone. And that's after Valve took their 30% cut.

Well, there's region-specific pricing to consider as the game isn't USD$60 everywhere. However, even assuming for the moment that everybody bought the game from the Chinese store (which isn't even remotely the case, in no small part because it's a gift/trade-restricted region), ~750k copies sold is still ~$12.5m after Valve's cut.

SomTervo

Are they "evidently" happy as you say? Or are they merely unaware of the tool's actions? Consider how other developers requested a desist on the tracking info.

We can't know. Hence why I hedged my comment.

I agree with you, but so far the number of publishers who requested a desist are... What, three? Four? And I'm aware of tens of devs and publishers who do actually look at the data and find it very useful (usually in the run up to officially getting the numbers).

Doesn't Steam Spy use publicly available data anyway?

There's this, too. The data is all public sphere. Even if SteamSpy Guy shut down his site, he could promote his app to github or whatever, allowing anyone to aggregate sales data based on users.

It would be exactly the same, just not 'published' on a website. Nothing would change.

And even if he then "destroyed" his app somehow, you or I or any other average joe could easily make it again. It's all public info.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Are they "evidently" happy as you say? Or are they merely unaware of the tool's actions? Consider how other developers requested a desist on the tracking info.

Squad and Paradox are the only two that requested it. Others have been mostly fine with it because the data isn't actually 100% accurate but closer to like 80-90% accurate.

Par Score

Garry Newman, creator of Garry's Mod and Rust, is supportive of this move at least.

I think its a neat data resource, but it also inspires a lot of dangerously misinformed analysis from people who don't understand the data, and are unable to place the data into a historical context. From the dude who runs it as much as anyone else.

Transparency of publicly available data is rarely a bad thing, even if it leads to some people jumping to false conclusions.

I imagine Valve will add a button for devs to toggle opt in/opt out, and say that they are not going to have anything to do with moderating this stuff in a hands on manner. Will require a bit of work but it's probably the easiest solution for them.
Next stop, Valve just shuts the whole thing down.

Good work, SteamSpy guy.

I'm not sure Valve are going to want to put in that amount of work to disable key features of their store-front.

They could limit what's publicly viable by default on profiles, I suppose.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
But it's data that is already publically available to anyone willing to do the work.

Literally all it's doing is compiling player profile information, information that is available from anyone who set their profile as Public instead of Private.

So I don't feel like the developers really have much say in this, given that this information has always been available. At most Valve could remove that as part of people's profiles, but the community would likely cause a frenzy over it.

This is something that SteamSpy makes clear but I think is important to remind sometimes in these topics; the data comes from public Steam profiles who have the game on their account. It's public information, but do know the information is not conclusive as it doesn't count people who have their accounts set to private, but it does try to scale its estimate to hidden accounts as well.

That's the thing, though: ignoring requests from publishers is just going to lead to them knocking on Valve's door. Evidently Valve itself isn't fussed about SteamSpy as data for its own games was never hidden, but it will change its tune if publishers begin demanding that something be done.

Jup, this is going to happen sooner than later imo. And publishers have the right to make their game data invisible.

Off topic, but I find Steamspy's data to be a little bit deceitful anyway, because people always make revenue conclusions on the provided sales data.

It was also being used by developers with big hits, so their contractors and employers wouldn't know the extent of the success and maybe win funny ideas like ask more money for their work.

Yeah, I hadn't considered the complete inverse situation, but you're right that is equally problematic.

If it's not going away, it just means we all have to adapt. You might have big successes where employees are now demanding more. You might have a flop, making your company persona non grata at future events (though that's a bit exaggerated). Basically if this isn't going away, it's best we get cozy with it. (personally I'd be happy if this was kept confidential between distributors and developers)

MUnited83

For you.
https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/768793818296639489?lang=en

If you don't know what SteamSpy is, it's a pretty awesome site that collects data from Steam profiles and uses it to estimate the number of owners each game has. Developers have requested to remove the data before and SteamSpy has complied but now it seems he's getting annoyed by it.

I'm with him to just ignore the requests from now on. I don't find there to be a valid reason to hide this sales information from the public, unless you're the KSP devs living in a bad place where being rich can get you harmed.

EDIT: Looks like all the data is back. Paradox owner data is here now: http://steamspy.com/dev/Paradox+Development+Studio
Actually, in KSP's case it doesn't really have to be rich. It has to do with them not paying their fucking devs properly.

s_mirage

Can someone clue me in on what's this KSP business?

To cut the story short: Squad were one of the only publishers who wanted their data removed from Steamspy. Later, an ex Kerbal dev revealed that Squad were paying their employees insultingly low wages, demanding massive amounts of crunch, and then firing them as soon as their work was finished. So, it becomes a little clearer why they might want to hide sales data from their own employees.

Tripon

That's the thing, though: ignoring requests from publishers is just going to lead to them knocking on Valve's door. Evidently Valve itself isn't fussed about SteamSpy as data for its own games was never hidden, but it will change its tune if publishers begin demanding that something be done.

Hah, valve more likely to just acquire Steam Spy and make it an official part of steam.

Fishious

Hmm, kind of conflicted about this. On the one hand Steam Spy provides data that is of interest to consumers and potentially developers as well. On the other I generally believe developers requesting not to have their data public should be honored as it prevents bad blood between Steam Spy and developers.

Ultimately I think I'm on Steam Spy's side since it seems with the way things are going it'll eventually be pretty useless if people keep opting out. Developers generally have something to gain by having their competitor's numbers known as it gives them useful benchmarks and something to compare their performance against. Having their own numbers known by the public is generally will have a neutral or negative effect, since they can leverage the information better when it's a secret. So it's probably in each individual company's interest not to have their sales visible and retain control of the ability to make their own sales known or not. However when everyone does it, then everyone loses out of the advantages Steam Spy provides. It's not so much about any individual company being wrong for wanting to keep this info hidden, but how it affects the system in aggregate. And since the data is collected from public steam profiles there's nothing really wrong with the acquisition method.

LewieP

Transparency of publicly available data is rarely a bad thing, even if it leads to some people jumping to false conclusions.

Yeah I'm not arguing it shouldn't exist, just highlighting one of the downsides. I agree that on the whole it is a good thing.

I don't think it will continue in an unrestricted manner indefinitely given the commercial realities it has to coexist with, but I don't want to see it gone or anything.

I'm not sure Valve are going to want to put in that amount of work to disable key features of their store-front.

They could limit what's publicly viable by default on profiles, I suppose.

Yeah, perhaps that would be a good enough solution. I agree Valve will as usually be looking for the path of least resistance to satisfy the different parties wanting something from them.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It was also being used by developers with big hits, so their contractors and employers wouldn't know the extent of the success and maybe win funny ideas like ask more money for their work.

This is the number one main reason they want to hide it. I've worked at several devs that purposefully would block any attempts of the employees to find out any sales info because once you realize your game has sold 4.5 million copies and you've seen zero royalties for it things get a bit dicey.

novabolt

And if Valve just ignores them too? What are they going to do, pull their games from Steam?

If a developers like R star, Bethesda, TTwo, Activision and many others come knocking, Valve will do something. Also Tland are getting pretty big and I think they could sell their games elsewhere and still make decent sales.

kswiston

If someone asks you to take their shit down, take it down you dope

Na, that's bullshit. All of this data is collected from public profiles. It would be like the Trump campaign demanding that Trump's polling numbers remain hidden because it "damages" his brand.

I think they could sell their games elsewhere and still make decent sales.

Ha. Doubtful. CDProjekt can't even manage to get a majority of people to buy The Witcher 3 on GOG, a well established platform, even with better incentives to do so.

s_mirage

Uh, no, of course not.

Exactly. There's no motivation for Valve to do a damn thing if publishers moan to them.

If a developers like R star, Bethesda, TTwo, Activision and many others come knocking, Valve will do something. Also Tland are getting pretty big and I think they could sell their games elsewhere and still make decent sales.

None of those have though, have they? The point remains: unless they are actually prepared to pull their games from the overwhelmingly most popular digital storefront, and face the ire of their customers, the publishers have no leverage to make Valve do anything.

I hadn't ever really perused SteamSpy before but just browing around I gotta say goddamn that Sean Murray guy walked away with like 30 million dollars in the last 2 weeks just from No Mans Sky Steam sales alone. And that's after Valve took their 30% cut.

You cannot make revenue conclusions based on Steamspy data.

JP

SteamSpy said:
I'm doing it because it's useful to developers.
SteamSpy said:
Some developers ask me to stop, because it's not useful to them as developers.
SteamSpy said:
I'm going to put more information up from the developers that asked me to not publish their data because it really isn't useful to them as developers.
Yep.

That's NOT going to end well. I think it's silly for devs and publishers to ask Steamspy to hide their data, but they're in their rights to do so. Not complying is just going to lead to:
1. Legal action/threats against Steamspy
2. Valve doing something against Steamspy, maybe even by blocking their api or removing game list from public profiles if you aren't friends.

In both cases Steamspy and by extension, us, are going to get the short end of the stick.

kiguel182

But it's data that is already publically available to anyone willing to do the work.

Literally all it's doing is compiling player profile information, information that is available from anyone who set their profile as Public instead of Private.

So I don't feel like the developers really have much say in this, given that this information has always been available. At most Valve could remove that as part of people's profiles, but the community would likely cause a frenzy over it.

Or you could just respect their request.

Tripon

Why would Valve get pissed at Steam Spy? In this hypothetical, it's the publishers being the annoying party.

SomTervo

> the point

--------------

> you

Have a read of this page. For one thing, the data is all public sphere - so even if the guy shut the site down, you or I could go find it again anyway. But more importantly, a couple of the publishers who have requested not having their data on there are potentially doing it so that their employees (who they fired right before release) couldn't find out how much money their games made.

dude

dude

But that's something that has to be taken into account with a site like SteamSpy. Everybody - The owner, the publishers and the users, have to play nice and reach a middle ground or Daddy V is going to stop looking the other way the fun ends for everyone.
While I'd rather he didn't listen to those requests at all, if he's just going to do his own thing I can't see a bright future there.

OBias

These ones specifically don't seem to care about SteamSpy as there were no requests from them to hide the data.

LewieP

Why would anyone do that, the data is (currently) publicly available.

If publishers don't want this data to be publicly available, there are other ways to sell games where the data is not publicly available. There is no OriginSpy, uPlaySpy or GogSpy.

Good on him. Steam Spy is a really interesting service, even if the data that it collects can be misunderstood, and the existence of tools like Steam Spy are a boon to enthusiasts. Hopefully this doesn't come back and bite him in the ass.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Exactly. There's no motivation for Valve to do a damn thing if publishers moan to them.

It would be unrealistic to expect Valve to ignore the noise, though. It's a business, not a 12-year-old child. I mean, CS:GO betting websites weren't a bad thing for Valve, either.

Hektor

That's NOT going to end well. I think it's silly for devs and publishers to ask Steamspy to hide their data, but they're in their rights to do so. Not complying is just going to lead to:
2. Valve doing something against Steamspy, maybe even by blocking their api or removing game list from public profiles if you aren't friends.

In both cases Steamspy and by extension, us, are going to get the short end of the stick.

There can be no legal action against steamspy because it isn't doing anything illegal.

It's just analyzing public data in an automated process.

For the very same reason publishers also dont have the right to hide it.

Jebusman

Banned

It's public information. If they want something done about it, they can complain to Valve about it. SteamSpy is collecting and aggregating public information, and have zero legal reason to stop doing so.

So no, they really should not respect any request from a developer who wants what is public information hidden solely to protect their own interests.

kswiston

1) What legal action can they press over public data? If that was possible, polling companies would be out of business as soon as they published unfavorable results.

2) Valve's API exists to prevent people from bot combing the same data from the public profiles on Steam, eating up a lot of server resources for nothing. I doubt they are going to block the API over this when Steamspy has been fine for 18 months now. Their only stipulation was that you can't charge money for the API data.

Ducktail

To cut the story short: Squad were one of the only publishers who wanted their data removed from Steamspy. Later, an ex Kerbal dev revealed that Squad were paying their employees insultingly low wages, demanding massive amounts of crunch, and then firing them as soon as their work was finished. So, it becomes a little clearer why they might want to hide sales data from their own employees.

This is criminal behaviour. Shouldn't this be the short of shite that gets the government to shut down a company?

Is no one else going to call him out on how this site in general is obviously not for the developers? There are legitimate reasons to hide this info. You're hurting dev bargaining positions by posting it. He's a scumbag.

None of those have though, have they? The point remains: unless they are actually prepared to pull their games from the overwhelmingly most popular digital storefront, and face the ire of their customers, the publishers have no leverage to make Valve do anything.

You really think that's how big companies like Valve and let's say Activision behave/talk to each other?

JP

> the point

--------------

> you

Have a read of this page. For one thing, the data is all public sphere - so even if the guy shut the site down, you or I could go find it again anyway. But more importantly, a couple of the publishers who have requested not having their data on there are potentially doing it so that their employees (who they fired right before release) couldn't find out how much money their games made.
Wasn't really the point I made though, was it? So, right back at you. ;)
> the point

--------------

> you

SomTervo

Looks like SteamSpy might be under a DDoS attack?

I tried going to their page again and for several minutes I got a CloudFlare DDoS safety page before finally getting to see the SS front page. It's dodgy, though.

Should a company tell me I'm not supposed to go through all my friends steam profiles and see what games they own and compile how many own x game? The company has no right to tell me what I can do with publicly available data. That's what Steamspy does, it goes through steam user profiles which by default displays what games they own and compiles it. Not to mention it's even important to its own employees that are sometimes not privy to how much the game they worked on has sold because of corporate bullshit.

Companies can't take any legal action against Steamspy or Valve, they're not doing anything wrong, otherwise companies would've been sending them legal letters a long time ago. Fact is, companies don't like their employees and public knowing stuff about them and that's why they want to hide it. Their wishes don't need to be respected since nobody hacked their corporate network and stole secret financial data that was released to the public. How badly or well a product sells is not harmful in any way to a company, only "harmful" to people who would hide such information in order to fuck over their employees.

Top Bottom