• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen charged with killing her boyfriend during a failed YouTube stunt

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Man, I don't even know how to feel about what should happen to her. On one hand, dude asked for it and she has kids. On the other, letting her off with nothing kind of solidifies the "its just a prank bro" defense. Probably community service and probation is sufficient.

thenexus6

Throw the book at her.

giphy.gif

Zukkoyaki

Maybe I'm a bad person, but I find it incredibly difficult to feel bad for someone willing to do something that stupid. Natural selection as far as I'm concerned..

The kid is going to be the real victim in this situation.

Kyuur

It's sad. She obviously didn't mean to kill him since she was only charged with manslaughter. Maybe they thought that even if it didn't stop the bullet they would get away with a hospital trip and some recovery? People are fucking dumb but I feel bad for the kid(s).

buzz wouldn't load, so I read another article where the victim was alleged to have tried it on another book where it stopped before egging the GF to do the stunt. It's so incredibly stupid
it makes me think if this it isn't some kind of assisted suicide.

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................
WTF?

edit:
sub-buzz-25452-1498672024-8.png

my god :(

Assuming the police have evidence of the vlog (showing him playing along and acknowledging the gun, maybe even showing some resistance to the whole thing) and the time of the tweet doesn't conflict with the shooting, I don't think she should be held responsible. Sounds like she was coerced to do something she thought was stupid and the guilt of killing the father of her child is more than enough punishment.

i dont get it. even if you accept that youre only going to do 1 take, wouldnt you atleast test out the concept out to know that your 1 take will be successful

CornDogg

i dont get it. even if you accept that youre only going to do 1 take, wouldnt you atleast test out the concept out to know that your 1 take will be successful

Think the article says he showed her a different book that did stop the bullet, which helped convince her to do it.

Tom Nook

This really baffles me how stupid this is. Any common sense between the girlfriend and boyfriend?

You want to test a book if it can stop a bullet, fine. Why did you need someone to hold the book? The person holding the book didn't question "Is this a good idea for me to hold this?"

I'm very sad for the kids.

Superflat

I seriously can't imagine what the kids are going to be told to have it make sense to them without totally destroying the image of their parents.

"Yeah, I have a stepdad (or no dad) because... well.. it's a dumb story."

Nekofrog

Banned
To everyone stating nobody can be this stupid:

They absolutely fucking can be. Get out of your bubble and meet people, they exist. These people are everywhere, you probably know some.

To everyone stating nobody can be this stupid:

They absolutely fucking can be. Get out of your bubble and meet people, they exist. These people are everywhere, you probably know some.
I know plenty of dumbasses, people who surprise me by being capable of spelling their own name

To think a fucking book can stop a deagle? Nah. Not even a newborn baby is that clueless

Phased

Assuming the police have evidence of the vlog (showing him playing along and acknowledging the gun, maybe even showing some resistance to the whole thing) and the time of the tweet doesn't conflict with the shooting, I don't think she should be held responsible. Sounds like she was coerced to do something she thought was stupid and the guilt of killing the father of her child is more than enough punishment.

It's a manslaughter charge, and given the circumstances she'll probably get a very light prison sentence and probation, or just probation. She's absolutely an idiot, but she probably doesn't deserve to be in jail for an extended amount of time.

g11

Idiots. Clearly they hadn't read the most recent Youtube monetization guidelines. Oh and the whole shooting your boyfriend with a 50 caliber handgun as a prank thing wasn't too bright either.

low-G

this is why you shouldn't react to news and posters

even if you never shoot guns or never care for them like me.. to even think this is for a handgun is beyond reasoning. even FPS games and movies teach you this pretty easily

Just cause someone "sounds" like they know what they are talking about, more times than not they do not. Disregard everything he says and don't use books for any gun.

Jesus, just imagine if there was a handgun that fired those...

i mean.... why would you not try it first? It's not like it was live, it was a fuckin youtube video, nothing prevented them to try the gun on a book without someone behind

Paracelsus

Ok, listen: no matter the country, the key to the law is

Ignorantia juris non excusat

If you can't tell you're gonna kill a person by firing a handcannon through a book at point blank range, it's your problem, you're a killer. This isn't like "let's throw a pair of scissors in the air whoops it stuck through the eye and it killed him", it's a goddamn cannon.

Shoeless

Ok, listen: no matter the country, the key to the law is

Ignorantia juris non excusat

If you can't tell you're gonna kill a person by firing a handcannon through a book at point blank range, it's your problem, you're a killer. This isn't like "let's throw a pair of scissors in the air whoops it stuck through the eye and it killed him", it's a goddamn cannon.

To be fair, she's new to this. She didn't know that shooting a hand cannon at point blank range was going to do that, this was unknown territory for her, she's learning on the job. And besides, it would have been worse with Hillary. But her emails.

Fuchsdh

you mean all those movies where a cigarette case in the breast pocket saves someone's life lied to me?

why do i even carry a cigarette case then?

i don't even smoke.

Bibles in the pocket, flasks, and even a golf ball have stopped people from getting shot, or in certain cases, from killing you outright (Teddy Roosevelt and his speech.) However with the obvious caveat no one is shooting from a foot away with a large-caliber weapon.

I just don't understand how you can be so dumb, I really don't. Wouldn't you wonder why people weren't just covering themselves in books to deflect bullets?

I assume the DE was his?

I have a huge problem with someone owning that gun but not having the slightest idea what it can do or how powerful it is.

Stanng243

In her defense, he allegedly showed her a book from another attempt where it had stopped the bullet. She seems to only be guilty of believing her boyfriend.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
If either one of them had ever shot that gun before then this was straight up murder...

No way you hold that gun and fire it at anything and then think "Yea Red fish blue fish should stop that shit for sure..."

No one is that fucking dense. I guess maybe suicide was an option but even a complete moron shouldn't be that vapid. Gawt damn.

In her defense, he allegedly showed her a book from another attempt where it had stopped the bullet. She seems to only be guilty of believing her boyfriend.

Oh, well, that obviously that excuses her from employing any critical thinking at all before pointing a loaded gun at his chest and pulling the trigger.

First thing they teach about shooting

Is to never point the gun at something that you don't plan on completely destroying.

Both these people failed that part of class apparently.

I dont buy the suicide angle either. How fucked up do you have to be to organize your death at the hands of the mother of your children, with a fucking hand canon, and on camera?

Not only are you taking yourself out but attempting to proactively fuck up the loved ones you leave behind both mentally and emotionally. That shit is straight up fucking evil.

Top Bottom