• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen Titans: The Judas Contract |OT| - Digital Copies Out Now, Blu-Ray 4/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
5709054_sa.jpg

Teen Titans: The Judas Contract is a direct-to-video animated superhero film directed by Sam Liu from a screenplay by Ernie Altbacker based on The Judas Contract by Marv Wolfman and George Pérez. It is the twenty-eighth film in the DC Universe Animated Original Movies series and is both the prequel and sequel to Justice League vs. Teen Titans (2016).

CAST
Stuart Allan as Damian Wayne (Robin)
Jake T. Austin as Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle)
Taissa Farmiga as Rachel Roth (Raven)
Brandon Soo Hoo as Garfield Logan (Beast Boy)
Kari Wahlgren as Starfire
Crispin Freeman as Roy Harper (Flippy)
Jason Spisak as Wally West (Kid Flash aka The Real Flash)
Sean Maher as Thong Song Inspiration, Dick Grayson (Nightwing)
Christina Ricci as Tara Markov (Terra)
Miguel Ferrer as Slade Wilson (Deathstroke)

VIDYAS
Teen Titans: The Judas Contract Trailer #1
Teen Titans: The Judas Contract 4 minute clip

Reviews & Hot Takes:
Coming Soon...

Penguin

Wait, you're not me... who is doing DC Animated threads these days!

I think will save for my flight on Thurs!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wait, you're not me... who is doing DC Animated threads these days!

I think will save for my flight on Thurs!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. I really enjoyed Justice League vs Teen Titans. So if this is more of that, I'll be incredibly happy.

Neoxon

I love how they got Roy & Wally's YJ VAs back.

I was about 40 minutes into the movie before class started & I was liking a good bit of it up to that point. I'll probably finish the rest of the movie after I get out.

Ridley327

Oh wow, I had no idea they got Christina Ricci and Miguel Ferrer for this. I would have to assume that for the latter, this is one of their last roles ever, right?

Definitely my favorite since Flashpoint.
I can see people being down on it though because its way more character development than action, made me enjoy it more.

Nightwing redeemed.

Donna Troy yall!

It's out already? Damn, they're releasing these fast. I'm hesitant to buy this one since I've really hated the last few.

I can see people being down on it though because its way more character development than action, made me enjoy it more.

Nightwing redeemed.

Okay, that's reassuring at least but I'll wait for more impressions.

Grizzlyjin

Did they do the thing..?

Tara tries to clumsily seduce Slade by dressing in a pink negligee and wearing way too much makeup. He brushes her aside and explains that they can't be together...yet, and the mission is the focus. So the implication is that they've never done anything and Slade is using the prospect to motivate Tara, since she desperately craves his attention. They establish that he saved her from being murdered by a mob, so it works.

Surprisingly tasteful considering how ridiculously bad all the sexual content in The Killing Joke was.

So, is it good?

Yep, it's good. Like Razgriz said, it's more character focused than action but that's what makes it work. You get your Judas Contract storyline along with some nice subplots for Jaime, Dick, and Starfire. And the latter two both get to be badass throughout the whole movie, so I was loving it. Jaime and Garfield were basically just background characters in the JL vs TT movie, but they both (especially Jaime) have meatier roles here.

Okay, that's reassuring at least but I'll wait for more impressions.
My only issues.

New 52 Cyborg bs - not their fault but Cyborg being around would be nice.
Runtime - pretty much an issue with every animated movie, Terra being in TT vs JL could have helped this.
Terra - too much of a bitch for her role, makes Raven look like sunshine and rainbows.

Really those are nitpicks though.

I'd watch the heck out of this as a series though.

shingi70

Banned
My only issues.

Runtime - pretty much an issue with every animated movie, Terra being in TT vs JL could have helped this.
Terra - too much of a bitch for her role, makes Raven look like sunshine and rainbows.

Have you read the Judas Contract story. In that Terra was super bitchy for no real apparent reason.

Penguin

Wow is this is the first DC Animated movie to get an OT on gaf?

Is it?

I feel like the older ones may have gotten some

I know we usually turn the latest trailer thread into unofficial OT for the more recent ones (especially with the weird digital>physical release windows)

Have you read the Judas Contract story. In that Terra was super bitchy for no real apparent reason.

Yeah, thats why its only a nitpick plus
her flashbacks help
Just really weird to have
your mole be a super jerk and unco-operative
Cartoon version was at least somewhat likeable.

Wag

For some reason DC always has a 72min limit for their animated movies. Anyone know why?

Neoxon

My only issues.

Terra was actually in the post-credits stinger for JLvTT.

aly

Nightwing redeemed.

Donna Troy yall!

Now I'm excited to see it. Nightwing not being crap is a good first step.

For some reason DC always has a 72min limit for their animated movies. Anyone know why?

Pure speculating on my part but I assume that since animation is expensive, 72 minutes is probably close to the minimum runtime necessary for a film to be considered a full-length feature and they're trying to save as much money as they can.

MartyStu

Tara tries to clumsily seduce Slade by dressing in a pink negligee and wearing way too much makeup. He brushes her aside and explains that they can't be together...yet, and the mission is the focus. So the implication is that they've never done anything and Slade is using the prospect to motivate Tara, since she desperately craves his attention. They establish that he saved her from being murdered by a mob, so it works.

Surprisingly tasteful considering how ridiculously bad all the sexual content in The Killing Joke was.

Yep, it's good. Like Razgriz said, it's more character focused than action but that's what makes it work. You get your Judas Contract storyline along with some nice subplots for Jaime, Dick, and Starfire. And the latter two both get to be badass throughout the whole movie, so I was loving it. Jaime and Garfield were basically just background characters in the JL vs TT movie, but they both (especially Jaime) have meatier roles here.

That sounds like a great way to handle the bullshit from the comics. Excite.

Grizzlyjin

Now I'm excited to see it. Nightwing not being crap is a good first step.

I don't know if they intentionally did any of this, but it rectifies a lot of fan complaints with other movies. This has:

- Tons of Nightwing
- Slade isn't a pushover
- Isn't Damian focused
but him and Dick each get 1v1 fights with Slade, and then take him on together.

Only thing I could see people being bummed about is the lack of Cyborg. JL vs TT made it seem like there was room for him to transition over, but with him being a Justice League member in the movies, I think they're walking away from that.

So as a person whose favourite Teen Titan is Garfield, would you say I have more to look forward to in this movie compared to JL vs TT?

Also, out of curiosity, without spoiling anything, could anyone tell me if Garfield role in Judas Contract is similar the comic version or reduced.

Grizzlyjin

So as a person whose favourite Teen Titan is Garfield, would you say I have more to look forward to in this movie compared to JL vs TT?

Also, out of curiosity, without spoiling anything, could anyone tell me if Garfield role in Judas Contract is similar the comic version or reduced.

Definitely more of Gar here, beyond just jokes. It has been awhile since I've read Judas Contract but his role is exactly the same here from what I remember.
He even gets the closing monologue.

Really the only characters I'd say are reduced are Raven and Damian. But that makes perfect sense since JL vs TT was basically their movie.

Definitely more of Gar here, beyond just jokes. It has been awhile since I've read Judas Contract but his role is exactly the same here from what I remember.
He even gets the closing monologue.

Really the only characters I'd say are reduced are Raven and Damian. But that makes perfect sense since JL vs TT was basically their movie.

That's good to hear. While jokes is part of his character, it is only one part and it gets annoying when that is his whole role.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Cost more than anything. It's roughly equivalent to producing 3 episodes of TV. Also makes it easier to carve out a 1h 30m block of airtime on TV if they ever broadcast it.

Sou Da

Huh. The animation is a lot more fluid but it looks off, like it's rotoscoped.

EDIT: Why does Gar get more bishounen as time goes on?

Nyanmaruz

I don't have much hope for this, the last handful of animated movies were mediocre at best. Flashpoint Paradox was the last good animated feature imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom