• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

TheBoss1

Not bad, the image inprovements and motion are great, but brightness being lower than the C7 as well as costing much more means LG still the OLED to get in 2017. Good first effort by Sony though. I don't know why 1080p input lag listed as such a large negative. Honestly if you are buying an A1E and gaming at 1080p, I don't understand. Maybe for PC'ers? Otherwise 4K and HDR 29-30ms is pretty good for a first attempt. DCI not as high as I would like. Here is hoping they do surprise with a Z9E or something later.
ABL is more aggressive on A1E but the peak brightness is pretty much the negligible between the two.
Wow I was holding out for the A1E but looking at the input lag I'm glad I went for the C7.
Sony improved input lag on one of their TVs last year so hopefully Sony can do it again this year. LG did a tremendous job of lowering theirs throughout the whole lineup though.

TheBoss1

So according to RTINGS the C7 performs better on every front outside motion and sound quality?

Their reviews can seem to always make a TV seem way worse/better than it really is which is why I don't take their reviews as the end all, be all. What I like is that they try to be objective by using data but I acknowledge it's most major flaw is that 90% of people won't see these issues or differences in sets like they make it seem. The human eyes are limited.

For example, the review makes it seem like a lesser version than LG C7 but in their comparison at then end they said "the A1E may be a better choice, otherwise go with whichever is cheaper".

The C7 is LG's entry-level OLED TV. It is very similar to the A1E overall, and it offers picture quality that is virtually identical. It's also capable of displaying highlights slightly brighter for HDR, and lower input lag for gaming. If you don't notice minor judder when watching movies and aren't a serious gamer then the A1E may be a better choice, otherwise go with whichever is cheaper.

Madness

So according to RTINGS the C7 performs better on every front outside motion and sound quality?

Image quality is superior on the A1E but marginally. Sound quality is a good thing and people say this has good sound for a tv, but honestly, this is a home theatre reference level television. You are going to use a receiver and speaker setup or soundbar setup no?

I am not a fanboy for brands. I like a combination of picture quality vs price vs premium build quality. I honestly say the C7 is a better purchase. Brightness levels are negligible but they are measured lower than the C7. Input lag is negligible or will be fixed with a firmware update, not worrying. Build quality is great sure. But the price difference between a C7 and A1E is too much for what is offered by Sony. You can buy a 65" C7 for less than a 55" A1E and save hundreds. Use that extra money to buy the new Atmos soundbars or a better receiver and speaker setup.

Image quality is superior on the A1E but marginally. Sound quality is a good thing and people say this has good sound for a tv, but honestly, this is a home theatre reference level television. You are going to use a receiver and speaker setup or soundbar setup no?

I am not a fanboy for brands. I like a combination of picture quality vs price vs premium build quality. I honestly say the C7 is a better purchase. Brightness levels are negligible but they are measured lower than the C7. Input lag is negligible or will be fixed with a firmware update, not worrying. Build quality is great sure. But the price difference between a C7 and A1E is too much for what is offered by Sony. You can buy a 65" C7 for less than a 55" A1E and save hundreds. Use that extra money to buy the new Atmos soundbars or a better receiver and speaker setup.

You can't discount BFI though, it's awesome, and at 38ms it'll be great still.

TheBoss1

I agree with everything you said since you are essentially paying $1,000 for better motion ability and sound, except the better comparison would be the E7 vs A1E. They are the same price and provide much better sound than the C7.

Where can you get a 65" for less than a $4,000? Each size for the C7 is a $1,000 less than the equivalent version of the A1E wherever I check.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just wait six months and you can probably nab an A1E on sale during the holidays, that or pick one up once the 2018 models are announced at CES and start releasing for the price drop.

Madness

You can't discount BFI though, it's awesome, and at 38ms it'll be great still.

True. Again, input lag has always ranked low to me compared to picture quality and build quality and price.

I agree with everything you said since you are essentially paying $1,000 for better motion ability and sound, except the better comparison would be the E7 vs A1E. They are the same price and provide much better sound than the C7.

Where can you get a 65" for less than a $4,000? Each size for the C7 is a $1,000 less than the equivalent version of the A1E wherever I check.

My mistake, I got confused with the prices. I meant to write 65" A1E. Even still LG discounts much more than Sony. I would image the C7 which will be the B6 of this year to get a deep discount come black friday. I don't know. I just don't see enough an improvement to justify the price difference. But I do like Sony being in the space and Panasonic soon. Will keep LG on their toes. Just need Samsung's cheapass to invest in OLED now as well.

TheBoss1

My mistake, I got confused with the prices. I meant to write 65" A1E. Even still LG discounts much more than Sony. I would image the C7 which will be the B6 of this year to get a deep discount come black friday. I don't know. I just don't see enough an improvement to justify the price difference. But I do like Sony being in the space and Panasonic soon. Will keep LG on their toes. Just need Samsung's cheapass to invest in OLED now as well.

I agree since it's about 25% more expensive and the differences in the sets are not worth the extra $1,000 unless money is not a factor.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Damn I expected the A1E to blow LG's OLEDs out of the water. :eek:

Nah, never. I believe I said as much pre-launch.
Both are high end TVs with slight advantages and disadvantages on each other.

They blow almost all other TVs out of the water and I'd be happy to own either.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Now I'm curious if Sony drops an Z9 successor near the holidays. Be interested in seeing what a beast that could be.

vpance

Those are 1080P numbers, not 4K.

Low = Off
High = On
Those are the settings according to RTINGS.

Cool, so it is 8ms across the board.

But I do like Sony being in the space and Panasonic soon. Will keep LG on their toes. Just need Samsung's cheapass to invest in OLED now as well.

Nah, QLED is the future in emissive displays. Even LG knows this. Til then I wouldn't be surprised if 800 peak nits is a hard cap for the next few years.

Actually, Sony and Panny aren't in the space aside from maybe JOLED venture for mobile displays. Everyone bar Sammy is just buying what LG is selling.

Kambing

I really dislike the current OLED pricing strategy... release at a huge premium and then discount upwards of 50% at the end of the year. Really feels like a huge slap in the face to early adopters. It remains to be seen if Sony's OLED will receive the same deep level discounts as LG did last year -- I appreciate and respect brands like Sony and Vizio, at least in their LCD department, whom have pretty straight forward pricing and don't heavily discount towards the end of their product life cycles. I'd much rather see LG enter the market closer towards their mass market price (where they will see the bulk of their sales) and not gouge early adopters as much.

This year the 65 inch OLED has an MSRP of $4.5k, and a street price of $4k~. If last year was any indication, you'll see the same set go for $2-2.4k come October/November. That seems pretty messed up to me lol.

TheBoss1

I'm imagining the Z9E or whatever it's called will match the 1000 zone master panel prototype they showed a couple of years ago.

I think it's safer to say the zone count will be near 800 but that is just a wild guess on my part. That would be a huge increase for just a year difference. These companies need a bullet point every year that stands out and this a major one.

TaKeRx

The C7 looks the better allrounder right now if you ask me. Still interested to see how the Panny stacks up.

Indeed it did. I'm not going to lie, but all my TVs until now were SONY, but seeing how LG caters much better to my needs as well as the price I had to go for them. Specially the 21ms input lag on it.

ABL is more aggressive on A1E but the peak brightness is pretty much the negligible between the two.

Sony improved input lag on one of their TVs last year so hopefully Sony can do it again this year. LG did a tremendous job of lowering theirs throughout the whole lineup though.

That is true, let's see if they get very close to LG numbers. Like I said above, the C7 for the price compared to the A1E is also another big factor.

longdi

Banned

That is what i been saying. An entry level OLED matches the best of the rest. If LG is able to priced it at mid-tier range, i feel more brands should move into OLED and not waste time on edge-lit yet similarly priced LCD. With more volume orders, OLED prices will drop much faster and more people will be able to enjoy good PQ~.

At least until LG starts producing lower grade OLEDs like what they did with their pentile IPS....

vpance

This year the 65 inch OLED has an MSRP of $4.5k, and a street price of $4k~. If last year was any indication, you'll see the same set go for $2-2.4k come October/November. That seems pretty messed up to me lol.

Something tells me you won't see that firesale pricing this year, now that LG is handing out oled panels like candy. Think Nvidia and ATI price collusion, lol.

QLED isn't an emissive display though? Am I misunderstanding you?

QLED is an edge-lit LED display.

To keep it simple, there's a real QLED that is emissive and a fake QLED that is basically in name only. The current ones are the latter, but Samsung is still working on the real ones.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Not in the near future though.

Density isn't good enough to be used in the home. Besides cost being prohibitive you need a LOT of space to set one of those up. And you also need a much higher distance to boot.

Wouldn't watching a CLEDIS panel from the short distance have huge problems with the whole "not 100% black thing"?

Ok, yeah, this is no where near consumer level of course. It's barely even commercial level.
As far as getting close, I had heard reports of it looking great even when peeking directly at the screen from a few inches, I don't know. And yeah, it'd need to shrink even more so the density is good for home use.

Theonik

Wouldn't watching a CLEDIS panel from the short distance have huge problems with the whole "not 100% black thing"?
That isn't a particular issue but you are right you are limited by size and your ability to pack them closer together. VR has the same issue due to the optics where the display fill matters quite a lot.

No, those are Samsung's current TVs. Actual QLEDs are self-emissive Quantum Dots.

http://www.ledinside.com/news/2017/3/self_emitting_quantum_dot_tvs_will_appear_on_market_after_2020

To keep it simple, there's a real QLED that is emissive and a fake QLED that is basically in name only. The current ones are the latter, but Samsung is still working on the real ones.

Ah interesting. I thought the QLED name was all marketing fluff.

vpance

Ok, yeah, this is no where near consumer level of course. It's barely even commercial level.
As far as getting close, I had heard reports of it looking great even when peeking directly at the screen from a few inches, I don't know. And yeah, it'd need to shrink even more so the density is good for home use.

This thing will be in homes when PS5 is still selling. Book it.

Nah, QLED is the future in emissive displays. Even LG knows this. Til then I wouldn't be surprised if 800 peak nits is a hard cap for the next few years.

Actually, Sony and Panny aren't in the space aside from maybe JOLED venture for mobile displays. Everyone bar Sammy is just buying what LG is selling.

When did the QLED become emissive?

Madness

True, LG is only manufacturing panels. But when you have Sony and Pansonic come on board, you give greater incentive for more companies to come on board. OLED is the future for the next 5+ years easily. What is beyond that is still irrelevant in my opinion. Samsung developing true emissive QLED is still not reality. And even then, you are exactly with QLED where LG was at with OLED 2 years ago. I do think LG will need some kind of joint venture to improve their panels.

J-Rzez

Can anyone recommend a good atmos soundbar around the $1k price, and a good 4k compatable receiver to go with a C6?

They're not both on the same tv right?

Soundbar wise, none of them. If its just for a little more oomph, then get a klipsch or definitive technology soundbar. If you want something small, the Sony MT300 is a nice ultra compact soundbar.

I had the Atmos Samsung bar on my PC that I bought open box and gave it to my in laws. Got some klipsch powered monitors instead and they sound significantly better. The LG doesn't sound all that hot as well. Theyre overpriced and under powered for their claimed purpose. I didnt hear the new Sony Atmos bar but I'm assuming the same.

Receiver wise. Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer are good choices.

The A1E is turning out like I thought it would in reviews from my observations of it in store. Exactly what I wanted. Its sound is good for when I don't want my system going. The motion is a big advantage, and its smooth gradient system is the best which addresses those annoying bars you see in many sky scenes.

I can't play Nier Automata PC in 4K/60 yet, even with a GTX 1080, so Full HD input lag is definitely still important for PC gamers.

Not that I'm downplaying it's importance, but there's nothing to stop you from sending a 4K signal to the TV and still having the game naively render at 1080p and have no input lag and just use your GPUs scaling.

Gowans

Man, pricing here in Europe for the LG OLEDs is now so ridiculous, that cou can by a 65" C7 for just 30€ more than a C6 ...
I've been waiting for them to drop in the U.K. With no luck

The second they some down by 20-25% I'm jumping

Any ideas on when the prices come down in the year?

Rahvar

I'm getting slightly confused with the LG OLED naming. I'm looking at the LG OLED55B6V. Which I assume is what people refer to as the B6 in this thread. But there's B7V, E6V, E7V etc. Is there a rule to see performance and yearly model? The B6 is about $1k cheaper than the second cheapest.

Caayn

I'm getting slightly confused with the LG OLED naming. I'm looking at the LG OLED55B6V. Which I assume is what people refer to as the B6 in this thread. But there's B7V, E6V, E7V etc. Is there a rule to see performance and yearly model? The B6 is about $1k cheaper than the second cheapest.
Let's brake up the name:

LG <- brand (sorry I couldn't leave this out :p )
55/65/etc <- size in inches
B/C/E/G/W <- The higher the letter the more "premium" the SKU is. As far as we know all SKUs use the same panel(Not sure about the W though), so it's mostly the extras that are improved with a higher letter SKU. For example the E and G SKUs come with a fancy design and a soundbar and the W SKU is the wallpaper TV.
6 <- Indicates the series. The 6 series are 2016 models, the 7 series are 2017 models.
V/P/etc <- Indicates the region I believe.

Rahvar

Let's brake up the name:

LG <- brand (sorry I couldn't leave this out :p )
55/65/etc <- size in inches
B/C/E/G/W <- The higher the letter the more "premium" the SKU is. As far as we know all SKUs use the same panel(Not sure about the W though), so it's mostly the extras that are improved with a higher letter SKU. For example the E and G SKUs come with a fancy design and a soundbar and the W SKU is the wallpaper TV.
6 <- Indicates the series. The 6 series are 2016 models, the 7 series are 2017 models.
V/P/etc <- Indicates the region I believe.

Thanks! I knew the Samsung naming convention but not this one.

Another question. Any idea if the 2017 model will get down to the 2016 in price this year?

Currently it's almost 3 times the price.

How do I do this without adding input lag?

If you set your desktop res to 4K then the TV is receiving a 4K signal so the input lag results for a 1080p source don't apply here.

Then in game in Nier set resolution to 1080p. Your GPU will do the scaling for you, so you'll have to live with the up-scaling look/artefacts, but you'll have extremely low input latency.

Top Bottom