• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

But then your suggestion is that the ‘flaw’ of peak brightness not being as high somehow supersedes the obvious benefits of OLED in almost every other regard. Your basically saying ‘it’s not perfect so choose something less perfect’ or am I incorrect in that assumption?

Yeah, that's not what I meant.

Higher brightness when gaming in HDR means more image retention (and maybe burn-in) on static elements, for example. It's those kind of downsides that tells me the current range of OLED screens was designed for SDR, not HDR.

I'd be astounded to see a replacement for the Z9D.

It lagged behind OLEDs in both the ISF and HDTVtest shootouts and I saw an article that Sony is planning to double their order of OLED panels from LGD for next year.

True, OLED has flaws and isn't taking over the world today, but "not a chance" seems like verbiage a bit too strong...

I'd be astounded to see a replacement for the Z9D.

It lagged behind OLEDs in both the ISF and HDTVtest shootouts and I saw an article that Sony is planning to double their order of OLED panels from LGD for next year.

True, OLED has flaws and isn't taking over the world today, but "not a chance" seems like verbiage a bit too strong...

If there's still selling points on the LCD that can't be replicated on OLED, there's a market for them. They were always intended to be the high-end option anyway.

Anyone on the above? I can't find barely any reviews etc. :(

There's so many monitors...many go without reviews.

Eh, I think the perfect blacks of the OLED more than makeup for a slight shortcoming in brightness. My KS8000 got like 600 nits brighter than my OLED but I find the latter far more impressive. Even HDR content I'd already seen on the KS8000 has made my jaw drop on the OLED.

I always have light control in my viewing room. No direct sunlight, even at mid-day. There's literally zero concern about OLED or even plasma brightness if you don't allow direct sunlight to enter your room.

MazeHaze

Banned
I always have light control in my viewing room. No direct sunlight, even at mid-day. There's literally zero concern about OLED or even plasma brightness if you don't allow direct sunlight to enter your room.

Shit, even with direct sunlight it's fine. I leave the curtains open on two of the windows in my living room and the OLED is perfectly bright, even at 35 OLED light.

Kudo

OLED with darkening curtains, no light in the room any time of the day.
I must say I've seen light and all praise OLED gets is understating it, makes other panels look like a joke with backlight bleed.

Ashhong

Can anyone explain the difference between the LG B7 and C7?

The B7 does not have Dolby Atmos processing I believe. It does support Atmos through the built in apps, but for UHD and stuff you would need to use a receiver.

It also has a nicer looking stand and a black edge vs silver

The B7 does not have Dolby Atmos processing I believe. It does support Atmos through the built in apps, but for UHD and stuff you would need to use a receiver.

It also has a nicer looking stand and a black edge vs silver

B7 has silver edge and some say is harder to make the screen level.

C7 has black edge and a stand that is automatically level.

There are too many sets IMO. The silver edge, visible in a dim room, just feels like an artificial attribute added to push people to buy a pricier set.

Ashhong

There are too many sets IMO. The silver edge, visible in a dim room, just feels like an artificial attribute added to push people to buy a pricier set.

I notice the silver edge but it's not even close to an issue IMO. It's there, just like your wall is there behind the TV.

What do you mean it's hard to make the screen level?

MazeHaze

Banned
I notice the silver edge but it's not even close to an issue IMO. It's there, just like your wall is there behind the TV.

What do you mean it's hard to make the screen level?
I think they mean with the stand.

Also It's worth noting the B7 has a crescent stand, while the B7A has a stand that is the same as the stand for the B6, except with out the big LGOLED logo in the middle.

Kudo

I don't even see the silver edge in dark room, if you have light in the room it's not the only thing you'll see unless your wall is painted black anyway so.
I saw the HDTVTest video about the stands too and remember someone else mentioning that he couldn't get the screws properly in the stand and it would always be little tilted, but didn't have that issue myself.

I don't even see the silver edge in dark room, if you have light in the room it's not the only thing you'll see unless your wall is painted black anyway so.
I saw the HDTVTest video about the stands too and remember someone else mentioning that he couldn't get the screws properly in the stand and it would always be little tilted, but didn't have that issue myself.

I'm the first to admit this is nitpicking. Every OLED set on the market is fantastic, and that one can get a 65" starting at $2000 and change at this point (lower by black friday) is freaking awesome.

ElNino

The strange thing is that the B7 and C7 are the same price, at least they were when I was shopping for them.

I think they mean with the stand.

Also It's worth noting the B7 has a crescent stand, while the B7A has a stand that is the same as the stand for the B6, except with out the big LGOLED logo in the middle.
That must be the stand in Europe I guess, as my B7 doesn't have a crescent stand. It's a flat aluminum square'ish base, with the semi-transparent plastic piece that connects the TV to the base. This was actually the reason I went with the B7 instead of the C7 as I preferred the look of the this base over the C7 (which is similar to what is in the video).

MazeHaze

Banned
The strange thing is that the B7 and C7 are the same price, at least they were when I was shopping for them.

That must be the stand in Europe I guess, as my B7 doesn't have a crescent stand. It's a flat aluminum square'ish base, with the semi-transparent plastic piece that connects the TV to the base. This was actually the reason I went with the B7 instead of the C7 as I preferred the look of the this base over the C7 (which is similar to what is in the video).

You must have the B7A like me. The B7P has the crescent stand I believe. This is US models.

Edit: whoops. Looks like the crescent stand is the B7V from UK? The b7a and b7p US look to have the same stand, which is same as b6 stand.

Goddamn.

New Amazon fire TV has added HDR support as well as Atmos, for $70..........but no Dolby Vision.

Just check the Dolby Vision box guys. Just check it before it leaves the factory.

If there's still selling points on the LCD that can't be replicated on OLED, there's a market for them. They were always intended to be the high-end option anyway.

I get why you think that from the consumer side, but from the business side, at some point it stops making fiscal sense to invest in furthering LED/LCD tech from an R&D standpoint, when your marketing strategy becomes premium=OLED, LCD/LED for everything else.

Sony isn't going to keep manufacturing more intricate LED/LCD displays, to the point that the costs exceed producing an OLED, just because a very small minority of people appreciate that the Z9D does a couple things better than OLED.

ApharmdX

Banned
I just can't see how that can be though, I mean OLED is a great technology n all, but that technology as it stands will end up holding it back, the HDR side of things only goes up very incrementally each year, due to the fact it has to make its own light, and has burn in to consider, whereas LCD can go crazy high if the want was there, so aside from completely new tech, FALD is the only valid one that can forge new territory.

Look at 2017's displays. The only high-end LCD TVs are Samsung's edge-lit Q9/Q8. Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Toshiba, hell even the boutique brands like B&O and Loewe, have all moved to OLED. Until/if Samsung can get their emissive LCD tech ready for mass market, I don't think we will see many high-end LCD sets. Low- and mid-range stuff, LCD is great (TCl and Vizio in particular) so the technology isn't dead yet.

Maximum brightness is not the Holy Grail for many of us. More brightness for HDR is nice, and of course proper tone mapping, but LCD technology never figured out how to deliver acceptable black levels... in any light-controlled room LCDs will lose head-to-head against OLED for this reason.

Not a chance.

Don't forget the ZD9 isn't really a FALD, it's an edge-lit that simulates FALD backlighting. There's still plenty of room for improvement with HDR peak brightness in LCD tech. They won't give that up for OLED as long as it still has downsides compared to LCD.

No, the Z9D is an actual FALD with hundreds of individual LEDs behind its screen. The most zones of any FALD ever made.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Options are good. OLED might be the future, but in the present, not everyone wants to buy into its flaws

There's always been compromise. Even CRTs had major problems with brightness and geometry/focus. Just have to decide what matters most to you.

Look at 2017's displays. The only high-end LCD TVs are Samsung's edge-lit Q9/Q8. Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Toshiba, hell even the boutique brands like B&O and Loewe, have all moved to OLED. Until/if Samsung can get their emissive LCD tech ready for mass market, I don't think we will see many high-end LCD sets. Low- and mid-range stuff, LCD is great (TCl and Vizio in particular) so the technology isn't dead yet.

Maximum brightness is not the Holy Grail for many of us. More brightness for HDR is nice, and of course proper tone mapping, but LCD technology never figured out how to deliver acceptable black levels... in any light-controlled room LCDs will lose head-to-head against OLED for this reason.

No, the Z9D is an actual FALD with hundreds of individual LEDs behind its screen. The most zones of any FALD ever made.

There's always been compromise. Even CRTs had major problems with brightness and geometry/focus. Just have to decide what matters most to you.

That's not true, did you not read my other post? The LCD I use can do 0.005 ANSI, that's lower than the best plasma! That's more than acceptable, granted the APL will go up when HDR is enabled but even that is around 0.017 (1300nits), I can watch HDR content with no lights on and it looks extremely black.

Audi

Neo Member
I finally pulled the trigger on the Sony X900E. I almost went with the Sony X940E but the motion blur concerns I've read in reviews stayed my hand. I figured the 900E was the better option since the primary use will be for gaming. No planned Dolby Vision support is a shame though since I do watch a lot of movies on my current setup.

This is my first 4k HDR TV, hopefully I won't be disappointed XD

I finally pulled the trigger on the Sony X900E. I almost went with the Sony X940E but the motion blur concerns I've read in reviews stayed my hand. I figured the 900E was the better option since the primary use will be for gaming. No planned Dolby Vision support is a shame though since I do watch a lot of movies on my current setup.

This is my first 4k HDR TV, hopefully I won't be disappointed XD

Out of curiosity, why did you not buy the XE93? More zones and DV.....price obviously wasn't an concern.

MazeHaze

Banned
Man I love this thread. And all of you nerds who care about this shit as much as me, it's a good time.

But I want to remind everyone that the perfect TV will never exist, and there will always be something on the Horizon.

Whatever TV you decide on, from the 2016 KS samsungs, to the LG 6 and 7 series, to the high end FALD Sony and the A1E, and the more affordable 900e and 930e, you are going to get a great display. Hell even that TCL p series looks fine for the price.

Even the problems I had with the KS8000 are pretty small, and it get's surprisingly close to OLED blacks even with it's shitty local dimming. The fact is that all of these TV's are in the same ball park, your shit is gonna look outstanding on any mid/high end set. Probably the best it's ever looked. Just find one that works for you and enjoy it.

The money you spent will be irrelevant as time goes on, and life is too short to play the waiting game if you need a TV. Grab a nice display, and enjoy it. If it sucks, maybe play the panel lottery once, but if that one sucks, get a different set.

People were having these exact same conversations 10 years ago about which shitty DLP TV was better. The tech will surely get better, but we truly live in a time where affordable displays are leaps and bounds better than they have ever been. Enjoy content on a good one now, and if we're all around in 10 more years we can think about what idiots we were, arguing over which 4k HDR TV was better while we argue about which 16k FULL HDR TV is better.

Man I love this thread. And all of you nerds who care about this shit as much as me, it's a good time.

But I want to remind everyone that the perfect TV will never exist, and there will always be something on the Horizon.

Whatever TV you decide on, from the 2016 KS samsungs, to the LG 6 and 7 series, to the high end FALD Sony and the A1E, and the more affordable 900e and 930e, you are going to get a great display. Hell even that TCL p series looks fine for the price.

Even the problems I had with the KS8000 are pretty small, and it get's surprisingly close to OLED blacks even with it's shitty local dimming. The fact is that all of these TV's are in the same ball park, your shit is gonna look outstanding on any mid/high end set. Probably the best it's ever looked. Just find one that works for you and enjoy it.

The money you spent will be irrelevant as time goes on, and life is too short to play the waiting game if you need a TV. Grab a nice display, and enjoy it. If it sucks, maybe play the panel lottery once, but if that one sucks, get a different set.

People were having these exact same conversations 10 years ago about which shitty DLP TV was better. The tech will surely get better, but we truly live in a time where affordable displays are leaps and bounds better than they have ever been. Enjoy content on a good one now, and if we're all around in 10 more years we can think about what idiots we were, arguing over which 4k HDR TV was better while we argue about which 16k FULL HDR TV is better.

You gonna go ahead and act like the Pioneer Kuros never existed???

=)

MazeHaze

Banned
You gonna go ahead and act like the Pioneer Kuros never existed???

=)
Hahaha, I never had the pleasure.

It might sound crazy to some of you, but I rocked a 32 inch CRT until 2011. Then I bought a 50 inch RCA DLP off of Craigslist for 100 dollars and I thought I was the fucking king of the world.

Slowly I became obsessed with buying nice things and it snowballed from there.

Weevilone

Goddamn.

New Amazon fire TV has added HDR support as well as Atmos, for $70..........but no Dolby Vision.

Just check the Dolby Vision box guys. Just check it before it leaves the factory.

That's a swing and a miss right there. I'd consider it for a better PS Vue client, but at this point I'm thinking YouTube TV works best for me as long as they get some device clients out. Chromecast is no go for me. I watched a sporing event on it the other day and it sucked a lot. Fast forwarding and stuff from a tablet or phone isn't good.

Yeah, it's pretty great. :)

That's a swing and a miss right there. I'd consider it for a better PS Vue client, but at this point I'm thinking YouTube TV works best for me as long as they get some device clients out. Chromecast is no go for me. I watched a sporing event on it the other day and it sucked a lot. Fast forwarding and stuff from a tablet or phone isn't good.

At this point, just build the mf box with source direct and I will literally pay the $20 or whatever Atmos and DV licensing fee

Very basic questions from someone with close to no knowledge on the matter.

1. If I have the money to buy an OLED, I should, right? That offers the better image quality?

2. Is it worth sacrificing 10" by going for the LGOLED55B7A instead of a similarly priced 65X900E?

3. And lastly, If I do decide to go OLED, is it worth the extra $1000, going from the 55" to the 65" model of the LG OLED?

Theonik

Right. Misunderstood how it works. Thought it emulated a FALD, but it just emulates having more zones than it actually has with a complex setup.
It doesn't. The only difference zone wise is that whereas on most FALD sets you have groups of LEDs separated into zones that are managed, the ZD9 controls individual LEDs instead, giving it 640+ for the 65" model and more on the 75 and 100" models (later is closer to 1500 iirc)

1. If I have the money to buy an OLED, I should, right? That offers the better image quality?

2. Is it worth sacrificing 10" by going for the LGOLED55B7A instead of a similarly priced 65X900E?

3. And lastly, If I do decide to go OLED, is it worth the extra $1000, going from the 55" to the 65" model of the LG OLED?

I’ll comment on size. I went from 55” to 65 OLED.

I kinda want a 75”......

4K is more appreciable in larger screen sizes, esp if you can push native or close to native content.

OLEDs look great but aren’t perfect (see the last couple pages for that exact discussion.)

Plum

So I got a call from Sony CS...

...but it came up as an unknown number so I just assumed it was a scam and hung up.

Now I have to wait until tomorrow to (hopefully) get another call that will more than likely say the vertical banding is "within spec."

Fuck.

BumRush

A lot of it depends on your viewing distance. Like RedlineRonin said, OLED (and 4K in general) really make their presence felt on larger screens. If you're 10'+ away, you'd really need to get the 65" to get the most of it.

Someone needs to put the Oppo bat signal up and have them make a premium streaming box

Hey everyone. Apologies in advance for the long post. I've slowly become more and more obsessed with getting a new recently, to the point where there is a greater than 90% chance I get a new one on black friday. I currently have an 50" LG plasma tv I got back in 2011 and want to jump into the 4k/hdr world.

So what am I looking for?
  1. A bigger tv. I've always said that if and when I upgrade I'm gonna have to get something obnoxious ( or not so obnoxious these days) since I've already been using a 50" screen for a while.
  2. Full array LED panel, because I can't afford OLED.
  3. Something in the $1200 price range or less if possible, but contemplating spending a little extra to future proof (meaning maybe in the $1500-1600 range is possible)
  4. If I'm honest, my usage will be mostly for movies and tv, and not so much gaming.
  5. last preference, although not a deal breaker, is I'd prefer to buy from bestbuy to take advantage of no-interest payments.

Concerns?
  1. How big of a loss is a tv that doesn't support Dolby Vision and only has HDR10 - since Sony tv's don't have DV?
  2. If I go for a budget tv, is the 60hz refresh rate going to bother me if I don't go for 120hz?
  3. I would prefer to have a tv with built-in streaming apps and I know the Vizio tv's only smartcast - is that really annoying or does it work well? Can always just use an Amazon Fire Stick or maybe pay extra for an xbox one s.
  4. and not really a concern, but the Vizio tv's lack of a tuner doesn't bother me. I'll buy a standalone if needed.

So what tv's have I been looking at?
  • 2017 Vizio M-65 - seems to be one the best all around budget tv's for the price per rtings.com (should be at $1000, or possibly even less on black friday - i'm hoping anyway)
  • 2017 Vizio E-70 - would love to have a 70" tv, but the E-series is really the only option price-wise. Even though it's a sub-par HDR tv, the quality may be sufficient for me until HDR becomes more standardized down the road.
  • 2017 Vizio P-65 - Bestbuy doesn't sell it right now, and a bit out of price range, but I'd still consider it if it became available.
  • 2017 Sony x900e - Probably the best tv for the money, but it is also out of price range and doesn't support Dolby Vision.

So that's it. My couches are 10-15 feet from my tv currently, depending on where you sit. Bestbuy doen't have the P-series, so do i go for the extra 5 inches and do the 70" Vizio E-series despite the lack of HDR capabilities? Do I go for my price range and decent picture quality of the 65" Vizio M-series? Or do I say screw it and pay more for the Sony x900e, despite the higher price and the lack of Dolby Vision support?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm living somewhere that doesn't have a lot of room for a few months. I was going to buy a 32" set for the time being. Is the Samsung UN32M5300AFXZA hdtv any good? It seems to be their most expensive 32" set. I'm not sure where to check if it has acceptable input lag.

Mairu

The only set in that specific range is the Sony 43X800D/E.

I have the D (2016), which has a VA panel vs the E (2017) which is IPS.

There is a big thread on this set.

If I can squeeze a 46-49" TV into the space, are my options the same?

Looking at reviews of this year's X800E vs X800D it seems like this year's model isn't really an improvement...

TCL 55" C series is on sale at Costco starting tomorrow for $479, from $549. I think I'll pull the trigger on it. The screen isn't as good as the P series but I don't think my room gets dim enough where I can see the C series' screen flaws. C series also looks a whole lot better than most TV's twice its price and has front facing speakers for better sound.

Heard you can purchase with a Costco Visa card for an additional 2 yr warranty after Costco's regular 2 yr warranty and purchase Square's warranty for only $30 for another 3 more yrs.

Ashhong

TCL 55" C series is on sale at Costco starting tomorrow for $479, from $549. I think I'll pull the trigger on it. The screen isn't as good as the P series but I don't think my room gets dim enough where I can see the C series' screen flaws. C series also looks a whole lot better than most TV's twice its price and has front facing speakers for better sound.

Heard you can purchase with a Costco Visa card for an additional 2 yr warranty after Costco's regular 2 yr warranty and purchase Square's warranty for only $30 for another 3 more yrs.

What is Costcos regular 2 year warranty? Never heard of that

oakenhild

How do you find out about the Costco sales?

Kyoufu

We probably aren't, since Sony and Panasonic both went all-in on OLED for their 2017 flagships. I've heard that FALD sets like these, with high zone counts, are expensive to design and manufacture, which is why Samsung has abandoned FALD. Seems like it's cheaper for them to just buy LG OLED panels for now.

End of an era.

Panasonic did, but Sony still consider the ZD9 to be their flagship TV. Yep, they place it above the A1 OLED.

Ashhong

I don't know if it's really a warranty but you can basically return electronics within 2 yrs.

I got the flier mailed to me this week.

Costco stuff is actually pretty much lifetime unless something has changed.

However a few things like TV only have like 14 days or something. It used to be the same years ago though

Top Bottom