• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

zephiross

I really am wondering why FALD OLED isn't a thing ?

like in dark scene the backlight wouldn't kick in since OLEDs are pretty capable of providing sufficient peak brightness on their own for this kind of scene, thus allowing to preserve the perfect blacks.
While on the other end, the full array lighting would massively benefit the bright scenes by lighting up when needed and providing 1500+ nits for those flashy daylight shots, reducing the power needed by the oled screen to display high APL, and at the same time the ABL...

I think that would be an easy way to improve those screens ? But I'm only guessing, I'm not a tech expert ! :)

Can anyone recommend a 'decent' 4k hdr tv mainly for gaming? Budget around £500.
Plenty of really good 4k tvs at that price, and no good HDR tvs whatsoever

From 800 pounds there's plenty of good HDR sets, but below that, its HD(P)R only

Check rtings and the pricing in your area for the relevant sets

Madness

so guys i have a 48 led vizio and was wondering what is the best way/cleaner to use?

A quality microfibre towel and distilled water. If there is fingerprints and other things, add a drop of dish soap to the water, swirl it around with fingera and then drop another towel in so it has very little cleaning ability and use it on the screen. Not too much pressure. Then wipe with dry removing any streaks. You typically want always 2-3 towels. One should be used just to grab the dust on the screen first befor you begin moving your towel around adding pressure.

Yet they all still rely on LG for their panels.

For now. That is exactly my point. If, let's say for Sony, A1E sales are as much or close to sales of thr large size ZD9 or X930/940E. They might say let's really invest in OLED. Other panel manufacturers might want skin in the game. For LG Display even, there is more money and incentive for them to develop their OLED panels if companies like Sony and Panasonic also are buying them for their televisions. You need the sales, costs of production, supply and demand to see changes. Remember Sony technically had their 11" OLED back in like 2006/2007.

Kermy

Looking to spend up to $1500 on a 65 inch. Any recommendations?

Was considering this, but I've just started looking:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...th-high-dynamic-range/5773836.p?skuId=5773836

I'm in the exact same situation except I bought a Vizio P65 last week from Costco when it was on sale for $1299 with the thought that if something better comes along between now and Black Friday I will return the Vizio and get the other instead. I'm keeping an eye out for the Sony 65X900E. If that falls below $1500 I will get that.

Plenty of really good 4k tvs at that price, and no good HDR tvs whatsoever

From 800 pounds there's plenty of good HDR sets, but below that, its HD(P)R only

Check rtings and the pricing in your area for the relevant sets

thanks.

and whats the deal with 50hz tvs anyway? Does this make games running at 60fps display as 50fps?

thinking of going with this. I can make my budget go to £650 if need be.

/LG-49UJ670V

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XW4H9CG/

Klotera

I really am wondering why FALD OLED isn't a thing ?

like in dark scene the backlight wouldn't kick in since OLEDs are pretty capable of providing sufficient peak brightness on their own for this kind of scene, thus allowing to preserve the perfect blacks.
While on the other end, the full array lighting would massively benefit the bright scenes by lighting up when needed and providing 1500+ nits for those flashy daylight shots, reducing the power needed by the oled screen to display high APL, and at the same time the ABL...

I think that would be an easy way to improve those screens ? But I'm only guessing, I'm not a tech expert ! :)

I'm not sure if backlight illumination would even work with OLED pixels. And, even if it did, it would probably wash out the color to an extent that would outweigh any brightness benefits. Better off just waiting for the technology to advance to have greater natural brightness or go with a good FALD LCD.

zephiross

I'm not sure if backlight illumination would even work with OLED pixels. And, even if it did, it would probably wash out the color to an extent that would outweigh any brightness benefits. Better off just waiting for the technology to advance to have greater natural brightness or go with a good FALD LCD.

Just bought a C7 lol... Tuesday can't come soon enought !

Fredrik

Are you by chance quoting the wrong person? :)

I mean isn't Apple TV a device and XE9305 a TV? I have a B6 myself, i hopefully won't be needing a new TV for a long time. So i'm kinda wondering what you meant with this.
Just tried to help you get some 4K content shown on your TV before Xbox One X arrives :)

Fredrik

Did a Youtube search for "4K" and tried the 4K Sony demo video with a parrot, it ran at full 4K @ 30fps today on my xe9305. I have no idea if the app was updated automatically last night but yesterday it only went up to 1440p.
Looked quite spectacular! The sushi part a few minutes in got the whole family drooling! :D

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
A quality microfibre towel and distilled water. If there is fingerprints and other things, add a drop of dish soap to the water, swirl it around with fingera and then drop another towel in so it has very little cleaning ability and use it on the screen. Not too much pressure. Then wipe with dry removing any streaks. You typically want always 2-3 towels. One should be used just to grab the dust on the screen first befor you begin moving your towel around adding pressure.

For now. That is exactly my point. If, let's say for Sony, A1E sales are as much or close to sales of thr large size ZD9 or X930/940E. They might say let's really invest in OLED. Other panel manufacturers might want skin in the game. For LG Display even, there is more money and incentive for them to develop their OLED panels if companies like Sony and Panasonic also are buying them for their televisions. You need the sales, costs of production, supply and demand to see changes. Remember Sony technically had their 11" OLED back in like 2006/2007.

Isn't there a Japanese manufacturer who figured out a more efficient way to create OLED screens en masse compared to what even LG does? I was wondering if Sony might be investing in them to get a new source for OLED panels.

Ashhong

Does Dolby Vision not need 100 OLED Light like HDR does? I'm streaming my first DV movie and the OLED is only 50. I don't know what settings to put for this..

Baby Driver is a very OK UHD. Not a huge quality increase over the bluray, if I may say.

The movie is amazing though. One of the most creative musicals I've seen in years.

Arkanius

Guys I'm finally moving to a new house and thinking of buying a new display.
Are there affordable OLED sets? Or should I settle for a 4K good local dimming VA display? (Like the Sony XE80)

Arkanius

OLED is a self-emissive display. It'll always have "retention problems".

But then there are the noticeable ones and the ones you don't see :)
I barely notice retentioj problems on my cellphone.

Anyway, it seems the LG C7 is the sweet spot for performance/quality, and it's sitting on the 2300€ over here.

Tempting but feels a bit outside my budget for now.

MazeHaze

Banned

Anyway, it seems the LG C7 is the sweet spot for performance/quality, and it's sitting on the 2300€ over here.

Go for the B7A, it's a few hundred cheaper, only difference is speakers, atmos for internal apps, and stand.

I have one, It's a beaut.

MauroNL

Anyone know why the YouTube app runs like garbage on the C7? The hdmi black level is inaccessible when in the app and I think everything looks kinda washed out now. 4K looks great but for some reason the 4K HDR clips look completely borked. Tried some of the DF videos and everything is washed out in HDR, like I barely see colours. These videos looked awesome on my Samsung MU8000. Or is this a known issue?

It also looks like streaming quality isn't the best in other apps either. Like it gets stuck in 480p or 720p or something, even on my wired 200Mbit connection.

zephiross

Bought in on a german web store for 1850€ with delivery to France included (1789 without but I think it is around 1760 now)

Ashhong

Video quality wise every LG OLED is the same. The C7 has a nicer stand, internal Atmos processing, and a black border around the screen vs a silver on the B7. I don't notice the silver on the B7 too much, but I definitely wish it was black. Not worth a few hundred dollars more though.

ToD_

Anyone know why the YouTube app runs like garbage on the C7? The hdmi black level is inaccessible when in the app and I think everything looks kinda washed out now. 4K looks great but for some reason the 4K HDR clips look completely borked. Tried some of the DF videos and everything is washed out in HDR, like I barely see colours. These videos looked awesome on my Samsung MU8000. Or is this a known issue?

HDR on the YouTube app is broken. The brightness is extremely high (elevated black levels) when streaming HDR videos. It is a known issue. SDR content is fine. Hopefully this will get ironed out with an updated app at some point.

Electret

Sony is supposedly having a one day sale this week on their mid to high end 4k TVs. Someone said the 65" X930e would be around $2300.

Have a source or any further details? Sure would appreciate it if you do - I'm looking to pull the trigger on a 55" x930e soon (when discounts around Black Friday happen, at the latest).

I would love to get a new 4k OLED TV to replace my current TV. Is a budget of 5k too low for a 70-80" OLED that would be used primarily for gaming?

Ashhong

Dolby Vision on the 2017 LG OLEDs will be defaulting to 75 with the new firmware due out any day, or if you download the new 4.70.06 firmware from the Korean site.

Also adds new Technicolor mode, too.

Any other details on the firmware? I’m wary to update since there’s so many issues with their firmwares

Poppyseed

Any other details on the firmware? I’m wary to update since there’s so many issues with their firmwares

The link is here. Use Chrome to translate if necessary. It will not update European sets, but is perfectly compatible with USA 2017 OLEDs. I always run these firmwares because the USA is so behind for whatever reason...

https://www.lgservice.co.kr/search/...5C7K&oneCateCode=&twoCateCode=&currentPageNo=

You can check the AVS threads for the 2017 OLEDs to see this works just fine. Some nice improvements, too, - the big one being fixed a/v sync over ARC for the most part now.

Best Buy has the 55-inch LG B7 for $1800 and 65-inch B7 for $2800 (I don't mind the silver trim).

Without getting into too many crazy details, I basically need to make my next TV purchase via Best Buy. I'd love to splurge on the 65-inch, but that's a bad move for my moneyz right now. I'm leaning towards the 55-inch for budget reasons.

Is this current pricing a good time, or should I try to hold out more? I talked myself out of the $600 TCL. I just don't want to buy the 55 and see that if I waited a bit, super crazy reductions are on the LG 7s and I could have gotten either a cheaper 55 or even a 65.

Thanks in advance.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member

From AVSforum:

* These are translated notes from Korean LG website:
* ⓐ Tweeter Speaker No sound output problem and video
* ⓑ BT Soundbar connected after sound bar volume is up to MAX
* ⓒ Magic remote control Pairing is interrupted
* Ⓓ Glitter Noise
* Ⓔ Improved screen blinking when channel switching after DTV zoom zoom termination
* 수정 OLED DTV Lipsync correction
* Ⓖ ATV Horizontal bars at the bottom of the screen
* 개선 Improve the backlight off shop
* 개선 Improved keylessness after pressing Menu key after AC On
* Ⓙ White Flicker issues to improve
* Ⓚ (Update) UHD ATSC3.0 reception problem response
* Ⓛ (update) 17 year HDR10, HLG correspondence
* Ⓜ T8 Store stream equipment improvement response (03.60.15)
* Ⓝ OLED TV improved Dolby 5.1ch audio Lip-Sync (03.60.25)
* Ⓞ Dolby TrueHD support (04.70.06) ⓟImage
* flicker improvement (Deep Color ON (04.70.06)
* ⓠ ATSC 3.0 recording applied (04.70.06)
* Technicolor Expert HDR preset (not listed in notes, but the new firmware has it)

Did get the new update today (Sweden) but haven't tried it out so much yet. New Technicolor mode seems promising.

Mrbob

How is that possible without the bandwidth. I want to see pc mode fixed for hdr so I can use it for gaming.

I'll be sitting waiting for this update next week. Might be time to finally upgrade my firmware.

Top Bottom