• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

J-P

Neo Member
Why not try using the TVs Amazon app instead of your PS4? Have you got the video settings set right on your PS4? RGB Range should be Limited if you have left the B6 at default, otherwise it will look dark as you will be crushing blacks. Auto doesn't work correctly.

I do use the tv app. That's when I have the darkness issues. I was trying the PS4 app to compare

hollams

Gold Member
Got my C6 on Thursday and fired up a ton of PC games just to see how they look and it's amazing. I have a 134" projection setup which I love but the graphical pop that the OLED gives you is just crazy.

I watched a couple of 3D movies and it's jaw dropping, can't understand why they would take this away in the new models.

I had a Panny Plasma and this thing blows it out of the water. When the screen fades to black I can't even tell the TV is in the room.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Fuuuuuuudge I need a new receiver now.

Got my C6 on Thursday and fired up a ton of PC games just to see how they look and it's amazing. I have a 134" projection setup which I love but the graphical pop that the OLED gives you is just crazy.

I watched a couple of 3D movies and it's jaw dropping, can't understand why they would take this away in the new models.

I had a Panny Plasma and this thing blows it out of the water. When the screen fades to black I can't even tell the TV is in the room.

You're making me so excited to get home and unbox.

anddo0

Looks like the initial pricing for some of the 2017 Sony tvs was wrong. I've seen the XBR55X930E and XBR55X900E change in price dramatically.. The 55X900E went from $2499 to $1699, so that's the one I'm targeting, as soon as I can offload my W900a.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Does anyone have any recommendations for a mid-tier receiver for 4K and HDR?

I'm currently looking at either the Marantz NR 1607 which would be the latest version of the receiver I'm using now.
Or going back to Yamaha and getting the RX-A760.

I mainly looking for a 7.2 channel receiver so that I can set up a 5.1.2 system.
I know refreshes are coming in the next few months, maybe I should wait it out a bit and just plug directly into the TV for now with optical to the receiver.

And then another new receiver when HDMI 2.1 is ready. Yay!

Ha, I already know it.

Weevilone

I'm currently looking at either the Marantz NR 1607 which would be the latest version of the receiver I'm using now.

Since HDR and UHD is kind of in the infancy stage, I'd recommend taking a quick look at the sources to ensure that you won't have any issues. For example, the Oppo 203 has been having issues with Denon and Marantz receivers as of late. I'm sure it'll get ironed out, but for now there are some problems.

I just happen to be following the 203, so I've seen mention of this. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other issues around for various sources.

It passes through 5.1 audio as DTS if you choose it to the optical output. I had to delay the tv speaker audio (40-80ms) to be in sync with my audio system (Samsung 49KS7000 with Logitech z5250). But It can be done to all inputs.

After a plasma I think you won't like the light bleeding which can occur if there are bright parts on big black background (title screens, info texts on black sreens).
If my samsung plasma didn't die I have waited for the (panasonic) OLEDs to become cheaper. I also see some fine vertical banding in backlight (because of the bottom edge led backlight) which can be seen if there is a horizontal move (e.g. soccer or in game PES 2017). (Maybe it is just my tv)

Ah nice! I can finally get rid of my shitty little optical audio switch thingy!

Also, Don't say that man, Don't bum me out! I was looking in the store (not optimal viewing I know) but it was looking mighty fine to me! I wasn't to impressed by the B6 55" oled. Granted I'm swayed by the size too. There's no 65" oled anywhere close to my pricerange. They're almost like 2 x KS8000's. It looked like it handled movement nice too. I think my current one can be a bit juddery at times.

What's your budget?
Well, im in euroland where things are way more expensive and prices different so let's just say, The same budget as the KS8000 and we're gold. Its 1672 USD here.

Weevilone

I'm not sure why the OLED didn't look good to you in store, but I agree you are unlikely to be satisfied with that LCD in a home setting when coming from a plasma. The LCD will never reveal its flaws in a showroom setting.

Ein Bear

The most pleasant surprise for me about the OLEDs is how well they handle low quality content. I've been playing Metroid Prime via the Trilogy Collection disc in my Wii U, and even that looks incredible.

After weeks and weeks of extensive researching, I finally took the plunge and got a really good deal on a 55" B6 OLED and I have absolutely no regrets. Loving it. Even all of my family members are impressed to the point where they are all convinced that they want one for themselves. :p I figured at the price I could get one of the high end LED's(like Sony X930D for example), I could pay slightly more and try out the OLED which would be an entirely new experience for me since I've had LED's and LCD's for most of my life. So glad that I did. My KS8000 look really good and even the KU7000 looks good, but the OLED even makes those look outdated in comparison. Even low quality content look really good on this thing.

I am wondering if I need new 4K HDMI cables to truly take advantage of it though. I got some Monster HDMI(1.4???) cables on the AV receiver to the TV and I am using the pack in HDMI cables with the XBox One and the PS4 Pro. Should I upgrade to some AudioQuest 2.0 HDMI 4K cables or should I just stick to what I got? I think the Monsters are 1.4 cables, but aren't the PS4 and XBox One cables 2.0? Not even sure if the Monsters are 4K compatible, but they do show a nice picture, but not sure if they are capable of over 30fps. Considering upgrading all of them actually.

Weevilone

Make sure to get Premium Certified cables. Don't assume because they say 18Gbps and they are expensive that they will work. Cheap Monoprice are fine.

I watch a lot of the AV forums and cable problems are real with UHD content, and people never want to admit it. They blame the source, the AVR, etc.

Yukstin

Or going back to Yamaha and getting the RX-A760.

I have the upgraded version of the Yamaha and it works great but it looks like the Marantz has more HDMI inputs at that price level. I'm sure they'll also sound pretty similar.

holygeesus

Banned
Make sure to get Premium Certified cables. Don't assume because they say 18Gbps and they are expensive that they will work. Cheap Monoprice are fine.

I watch a lot of the AV forums and cable problems are real with UHD content, and people never want to admit it. They blame the source, the AVR, etc.

The Amazon basics work great with all my kit.

Bog

Junior Ace
Got my 65" B6 yesterday and everything looks insane, but I'm currently using some hdmi cables I bought a year or so ago. How can I tell if they're essentially "good enough"?

hollams

Gold Member
Fuuuuuuudge I need a new receiver now.

You're making me so excited to get home and unbox.

I had to buy a new receiver as well and I just bought the previous one about a year and a half ago and it wasn't cheap either. I wasn't expecting to go 4k so soon. I have a nice projector setup but I really like the graphical pop of the OLED and I did want 3D so it made me rush a little bit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Got my 65" B6 yesterday and everything looks insane, but I'm currently using some hdmi cables I bought a year or so ago. How can I tell if they're essentially "good enough"?

If they're working now with the features you expect, then you're fine.
It's when you have issues with dropouts, handshake, or 4K/HDR not working when you the cables may be a factor.

Since HDR and UHD is kind of in the infancy stage, I'd recommend taking a quick look at the sources to ensure that you won't have any issues. For example, the Oppo 203 has been having issues with Denon and Marantz receivers as of late. I'm sure it'll get ironed out, but for now there are some problems.

I just happen to be following the 203, so I've seen mention of this. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other issues around for various sources.

Good point. I'll ask around in the dedicated threads for them on AVS.

I have the upgraded version of the Yamaha and it works great but it looks like the Marantz has more HDMI inputs at that price level. I'm sure they'll also sound pretty similar.

So with your Yamaha, no issues with 4K HDR pass through?
I'm sure both sound nearly the same and I'm not going to be driving them very hard.
The number of HDMI is a bit of a concern, because only 3 on the Yamaha are HDCP 2.2. I'd feel safer with 4, but it's not huge I guess and not needed for now.

I had to buy a new receiver as well and I just bought the previous one about a year and a half ago and it wasn't cheap either. I wasn't expecting to go 4k so soon. I have a nice projector setup but I really like the graphical pop of the OLED and I did want 3D so it made me rush a little bit.

Yeah, I kinda want to just get one already.
Connecting to the TV, running optical again, resetting my Harmony controls... just a pain.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

If there is a picture and sound when running 4k material.

vpance

So tempted to get the B6 to play Horizon, but now it's like I've waited so long, so might as well wait some more.

I got my B6 on Friday and goddamn this TV is glorious.

This was supposed to be for the bedroom since it is smaller but I have just moved all of the consoles into the bedroom now.

Yukstin

So with your Yamaha, no issues with 4K HDR pass through?
I'm sure both sound nearly the same and I'm not going to be driving them very hard.
The number of HDMI is a bit of a concern, because only 3 on the Yamaha are HDCP 2.2. I'd feel safer with 4, but it's not huge I guess and not needed for now.

Yeah, I kinda want to just get one already.
Connecting to the TV, running optical again, resetting my Harmony controls... just a pain.

No big issues once you set the receiver for the HDR/Deep Color pass-through. There's a weird way you have to enable it through the menu on the receiver panel itself, not the onscreen menu. Once you set it though, you never have to change it again. Once in a while when I switch HDMI inputs, the handshaking takes an extra second or two but that's the only issue I've experienced.

I agree on the lack of 2.2 HDCP ports, which is why I went with the upgraded 1060 model. I have 5 HDMI signals I needed to switch between.

holygeesus

Banned

You need to 'stress test' the cable really by feeding it some 4K HDR material or something. It might be the case that the cables are working fine for regular HD stuff etc but when you strain them, they produce errors.

I got my B6 on Friday and goddamn this TV is glorious.

This was supposed to be for the bedroom since it is smaller but I have just moved all of the consoles into the bedroom now.

Pretty much my situation. I live out of my bedroom pretty much now lol. The B6 is easily the best purchase I've made TV wise since forever. Can't recommend it enough.Especially with the ridiculously good prices on them during the holidays. LG is the way to go.

Afrikan

I watched the BluRay Remaster of The Wizard Of Oz on my C6....and man, can't believe something that was created in the late 1930's could look that good.

I know they did alot of stuff on the remaster... but still.

I'd like to think it was my TV. :D

Theonik

The Wizard of Oz was shot on 70mm after all. Watch Lawrence of Arabia while you're at it. Even the 1080p BD version looks stunning. Sony remastered it with a 4K scan so I expect the eventual UHD BD release to be even more breathtaking.

a916

Those LG OLED's are a thing that need to be seen in person to appreciate.

Weevilone

You need to 'stress test' the cable really by feeding it some 4K HDR material or something. It might be the case that the cables are working fine for regular HD stuff etc but when you strain them, they produce errors.

Yes. There were people who thought their expensive cables that claimed compatibility (but weren't certified) and thought they were good.. Then a new piece of content, or a new source revealed that they were not. They usually go down kicking and screaming that the cables are fine, because often they are installed behind walls and such.

The most recent was Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. It's encoded at 4k/60, unlike most flicks that are 4k/24. That disk uncovered a lot of problems, especially when more difficult bit depth and color sub-sampling were being used (say 4:2:2 12 bit vs 4:2:0 12 or 10 bit). I think early on the Oppo 203 also used 4K/60 for the home menu and that tripped a lot of people up because movies would play ok at 4K/24.

Anyways there are a lot of variables. Certified cables are the safest bet (but not foolproof), and they don't have to be expensive for reasonable lengths. Side note, 6 ft or so is best, as 3ft is less reliable, which is counter-intuitive to most.

vpance

I'm trying to hold out for this set as well. I'm really hoping the street prices aren't too outrageous and input lag isn't too horrible.

I don't think it'll disappoint.

Kind of thinking last holidays LG firesale discounts won't be repeated this year now that they have Sony and Panasonic as partners in crime.

hollams

Gold Member
One small gripe I have about my C6 is that the outside edges are silver so with the curve of the TV the edges reflect light when the screen is mostly black and just one part of the screen has content. I am playing in a total dark room so it is more noticeable but wish there was something I could cover it with.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium

I concur. I got my C6 on Saturday. I have played some
UC4 on the PS4 pro and it looked amazing. I watched Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D last night and it was insane. Sorry for the hyperbole but this TV is just that good.

Weevilone

I concur. I got my C6 on Saturday. I have played some
UC4 on the PS4 pro and it looked amazing. I watched Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D last night and it was insane. Sorry for the hyperbole but this TV is just that good.

I did a bit of gaming on my E6 via the Nvidia Shield TV and Gamestream. My monitor is 21:9 so the resulting image wasn't 4k, and had top/bottom borders. It still looked AMAZING.

I do need to figure out how to pass 4k to my TV while using a 3440x1440 display though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My C6 delivered yesterday was a Jan 2017 build and had the latest FW per the website already.
It's not on the console table just yet, need to move the VT60 plasma it's replacing which is a beast on its own.

I did watch the Grand Tour on both sets and the resolution difference alone was more than I expected. Much clearer in 4k.

No big issues once you set the receiver for the HDR/Deep Color pass-through. There's a weird way you have to enable it through the menu on the receiver panel itself, not the onscreen menu. Once you set it though, you never have to change it again. Once in a while when I switch HDMI inputs, the handshaking takes an extra second or two but that's the only issue I've experienced.

I agree on the lack of 2.2 HDCP ports, which is why I went with the upgraded 1060 model. I have 5 HDMI signals I needed to switch between.

Appreciate the info.

The most recent was Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. It's encoded at 4k/60, unlike most flicks that are 4k/24. That disk uncovered a lot of problems, especially when more difficult bit depth and color sub-sampling were being used (say 4:2:2 12 bit vs 4:2:0 12 or 10 bit). I think early on the Oppo 203 also used 4K/60 for the home menu and that tripped a lot of people up because movies would play ok at 4K/24.

Hmm, might be a good test disc.

cjp

Are any of those Phillips Ambilight TVs any good?

I really like the idea of a changing ambient backlighting that matches the screen.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My C6 delivered yesterday was a Jan 2017 build and had the latest FW per the website already.
It's not on the console table just yet, need to move the VT60 plasma it's replacing which is a beast on its own.

I did watch the Grand Tour on both sets and the resolution difference alone was more than I expected. Much clearer in 4k.

I look forward to your impressions since I have a VT60 as well.

Weevilone

Don't be me. I got a 55E6 during the holidays and I was so excited to try it that I just pushed my 50" Kuro toward the back of my stand and put the OLED in front of it. Made sense in the moment because I didn't have someone to help me move the plasma.

But yeah.. it's still like that.

Hey Guys,

I have a small nook in my bedroom that is about 43 inches wide, just large enough to fit a day bed in. I want to mount a TV on the far wall. It looks like a 50 inch is about the largest I can fit in there. What would you guys recommend for a decent 4k TV? I have been out of the TV game for awhile and not sure if i should go for a 2016 or 2017 model. Would like to keep it around or less than 1k.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hey Guys,

I have a small nook in my bedroom that is about 43 inches wide, just large enough to fit a day bed in. I want to mount a TV on the far wall. It looks like a 50 inch is about the largest I can fit in there. What would you guys recommend for a decent 4k TV? I have been out of the TV game for awhile and not sure if i should go for a 2016 or 2017 model. Would like to keep it around or less than 1k.

KS8000 line starts with 49" [which would be a good choice], and the only option smaller than that is 43X800D or it's 49" variant.

Top Bottom