• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell me why I shouldn't get a Zune HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Husker86 said:
Why are people acting like Zune Pass isn't the best deal in the industry? I'm still waiting and being hopeful that Microsoft releases a successor...but I have my doubts.
it's only a good deal if it has something you want to hear...

KtSlime

Topher said:
Zunepass is a godsend for music lovers who consume a lot. I miss it so much.

Yeah, the Zune Marketplace/Library (Neither does iTunes, but it has a bit more) didn't really have the music I listen to, so I don't really miss it.

bangai-o: Not everyone likes vapid American pop and rock.

bangai-o

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
what are you talking about? The service has Chinese music if you want to listen to that.

dzth6t.jpg

My Amazon cloud drive is where my zune credits go. Obviously its is all vapid douchebag rock.

I bought it two months ago.

Oddly enough, it was cheaper on Amazon back then!

I paid 185 for the 32GB version

Well worth the buy. My one complaint is that the reception for HD radio is weak. I wish it had a built in antenna (not just headphones).

On the flip side, HD radio means I get to listen to 100% commercial free rock music. 24 hours a day. No Dj, no commercials....just music. <3

As long as youre buying it for music, and not much else, its a great buy. Although a couple of the app games arent bad for those rare times youd use them.

Edit: the lack of built in speaker is also odd, mostly for the games.

Edit 2: The proprietary connector + ridiculously priced accessories are also a bummer.

KtSlime

bangai-o said:
what are you talking about? The service has Chinese music if you want to listen to that.

http://i54.tinypic.com/dzth6t.jpg[IMG]

My Amazon cloud drive is where my zune credits go. Obviously its is all vapid douchebag rock.[/QUOTE]

It has some Chinese music, but my tastes are centered around vapid Japanese, Korean, and Hindi pop, as well as local indie bands and Senegalese rap. And I did not mean to imply you are a douchebag if you listen to vapid music, I listen to vapid music as well.

bangai-o

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
It has some Chinese music, but my tastes are centered around vapid Japanese, Korean, and Hindi pop, as well as local indie bands and Senegalese rap. And I did not mean to imply you are a douchebag if you listen to vapid music, I listen to vapid music as well.

2lbjbjd.jpg

whats a service got to do, to please someone?

Pristine_Condition said:
1. OLED screen sucks outdoors compared to iPod touch
2. lower screen resolution for movies
3. Shitty App Store/App Selection
4. Terrible included earbuds are actually worse than iPod Touch, and don't have controls.
5. No speaker
6. No Mic
7. No camera
8. Buying/syncing music, movies and tv shows - not as comprehensive selection or convenient

That's about it. If all you want to do is play music, view pictures, and occasionally watch video, it's not bad. And the closeout price is certainly attractive since it's been discontinued by Microsoft. But it's really far, far behind the iPod Touch in terms of a total entertainment device in your pocket.

The only people I know who can so easily discount the Apple App Store, are the people who haven't used it.
As a Zune lover this guy speaks truth. Worst thing about it is probably the lack of apps. It kills me. The zune is sleeker but for functionality I would go for an Ipod. :/

KtSlime

bangai-o said:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2lbjbjd.jpg[IMG]

whats a service got to do, to please someone?[/QUOTE]

What can I say other that *more*? It's not like I am advocating the use of another service, they are all woefully inadequate for my eclectic tastes. I'm just saying, for me, and others with my tastes, zunepass isn't all that hot of deal.

bangai-o

Banned
*shrug

the music that is not available, is the same music that is also not available on Itunes and Amazon mp3 (ac-dc, tool, and some others).

I do not know if rhapsody managed to get them.

ivedoneyourmom said:
What can I say other that *more*? It's not like I am advocating the use of another service, they are all woefully inadequate for my eclectic tastes. I'm just saying, for me, and others with my tastes, zunepass isn't all that hot of deal.
Just because it doesn't cater to your niche doesn't mean that it's just vapid pop and rock. I don't listen to either and the Pass is great for finding new electronic artists or exploring lounge music or jazz from the 50s/60s or the evolution of metal or whatever.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
ivedoneyourmom said:
Yeah, the Zune Marketplace/Library (Neither does iTunes, but it has a bit more) didn't really have the music I listen to, so I don't really miss it.

Pretty arrogant of you to all everything outside of your band of interest as vapid by default. Naive too. Like the poster above, I listen to a lot of obscure ambient electronic, indie rock, and pre 50s era music. I also listen to a lot of Afro Cuban Music, so I assure you, my taste is just as eclectic. I faired pretty well with it, so mileage may vary depending on who are.

renitou said:
Same reasons you shouldn't buy any stand-alone MP3 player: convergence is now.

Some people have more music than they can fit on a phone. Streaming apps have kept me sane since I broke my Zune 120 but having to keep my computer on and online at all times to access it is not ideal. Unfortunately my music moods are too schizophrenic to condense to anything less than about 50 gigs :/

Treo360

OP if you go here you can get a mint Samsung Focus for $175. You don't have to activate it and you'll get the best of both worlds. A zune device with actual apps that you can use.

see5harp

ivedoneyourmom said:

I don't know what kind music you listen to but I tried a free trial of zune pass and it was pretty damn awesome. It had the Runaway single before the Kanye LP even came out. It had Belle and Sebastian LP on the day of release. It didn't have every single I could think of but it was comprehensive otherwise.

mr stroke

Just sold my Zune and went back to a Touch

Zune

+Zune Pass is fantastic
+OLED is beautiful
+Zune Software looks amazing and runs very well in Windows

-Zune Pass doesn't get all new releases on launch day and certain genres of music are really lacking(Dance Music, Metal)
-Podcast support sucks(a lot of Podcasts won't play)
-No Apps
-Discontinued outside of Windows 7 phones

Either get a Windows 7 phone+Zune Pass or go with a Touch(or new Nano for running/working out)

TheSeks said:
Because maybe No Style just wants a music player? He did say it was somewhat cheapter to get the 32 gig Zune over a 4 gig iPod Touch. More music holding ability for a music player instead of an everything media device.

Of course, since the Zune is discontinued (*tear at J. Allard's projects all dying at MS nearly*), one has to wonder if the Zune store and Zune pass have long in the world.

Edit: IMO, I'd say stick with the iPod Nano you have right now. I'm sure there will be another revision/release of the nano and other iPod hardware sometime this or next year. If they don't improve the audio quality and lower the price for more space, jump ship to another PC/Mac/Linux capable MP3 player. The Zune may be nice, but at this point there is practically little reason to get one and you could get another competitor to the iPod that isn't dead's hardware for nearly the same price.
Zune is a service. Zune Pass works on the WP7 over WiFi and 3G and all the stuff you bought works on the phone as well. It will get a new name, some cloud integration and it will live on.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
The Zune Software is nice and pretty and does some things really well but is built more around sleekness than functionality. Am not a fan.

Oppo

OP, it is a little weird if price is your #1 concern, but you have a working iPod of non-antique vintage that "just plays music". I don't get why you are spending the money to get what you already have.

If you're gonna upgrade, get something appreciably better.

brokasten said:
Zune is a service. Zune Pass works on the WP7 over WiFi and 3G and all the stuff you bought works on the phone as well. It will get a new name, some cloud integration and it will live on.
Like PlaysForSure, right?

KtSlime

brotkasten said:

Content providers that offer PlaysForSure-certified audio

SoundsRightNow.com
Napster To Go

Content providers that formerly offered PlaysForSure
AOL MusicNow (closed)
Yahoo! Music Unlimited (closed)
Spiralfrog (closed)
MTV URGE (closed)
MSN Music (closed)
Musicmatch Jukebox (closed)
Wal-Mart Music Downloads (switched to MP3)
Ruckus Network (closed)
PassAlong Networks (closed)
Rhapsody (switched to MP3)[8]
iMesh (switched to MP3)
BearShare (switched to MP3)

For ZunePass fans, let's hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom