• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell us your dentist experience...

C4lukin2

Banned
So I went about 18 years without seeing a dentist.

To give a backstory, I went through some crazy dental experiences growing up.

I had my two front rabbit teeth either punched out, and the other hit by a door by age 13. So they both got crowns, by this horrible dentist that ended up killing himself, probably not because he was a terrible dentist, but he had other shit to deal with.

Anyway I had my front two teeth capped. Then it was braces time. Fuck braces they are painful, and my teeth were not that bad, but I had a side bite I guess. So when I bit down my central teeth were biting down more towards one side then the other.

So at the age of 15, I had braces, and this weird hydralic system where these giant pistons realigned my jaw and bite.

And I got all of that removed, just as I was entering college. But 5 years later I had to get my wisdom teeth removed. Which went well. No big deal there.

But I had been sniffing the dirty Skoal tobacco all this time. And so, with my teeth all fixed, I continued in the world.

But once I was in college I just stopped seeing the dentist. I did a decent job of flossing and brushing, but it was obvious that my teeth were not being well taken care of.

One day, about a week ago, one of the crowns on my front teeth shattered.

And I was like fuck, I finally have to go back to the dentist.

But all along I wanted to go back to the dentist and fix my shit. But I was so afraid of the consequences.

Did I have cancer in my mouth from the years of snuffing? Would they judge me.. It had been 18 years of neglect.

But once I shattered a front tooth crown, and I looked like the Walking Dead, I decided now to take care of it.

So long story short, I went 18 years without getting my teeth cleaned. And sniffing tobacco all the way.

And it is probably going to cost 12 grand at the end of the day to fix all the damage done. But it is totally worth it, at least for me.

Assuming I do not die from some weird allergy, it will be 6 visits and I will have a giant fresh mouth.

So the point of the story is, I felt like a piece of shit who had not had their teeth cleaned for like 18 years. And the anxiety of the situation, kept me from going in.

But in the end, dentists have seen everything, no reason to be embarrassed, and I am half way to a new healthy mouth, and maybe in a month I will comfortable smiling again.

And it was not that bad. It was expensive and I even had a little bit of dental insurance.

Main point of this, just get your teeth taken care of, or any medical condition in general. I realize as I am half of the way to getting a decent mouth together, that I was so stupid all along.

Your dentist is not going to judge you, chances are they work on 80 year olds who lack the gums to support real teeth.

Just get yourself out there, get your mouth fixed up. You will feel not only better about your appearance, but you can remove a lot of pain as well.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
image.jpg

C4lukin2

Banned
Luckily I was only put down during my wisdom teeth removal 15 years ago.

And I had a super fast recovery. If the dentist took advantage of me during that time, I am good with it. She was pretty hot! But it’s not my baby.

i had to get my back teeth pulled out as a little kid and i handled it like a goddamn champ

i get regular cleanings and they're the best because you come out that shit feeling factory fucken FRESH

C4lukin2

Banned
Yeah should have done that. I am simply warning the next phase of people to get your shit cleaned twice a year.

Do not be like me kids.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I had braces for three and a half years as a kid...which was no fun, but I got through it. I'm now in my early 40's, still have all four wisdom teeth, and have never had a single cavity.

Last edited:

choco-fish

Braces from the age of 13 to 15 because I had protruding buck teeth and overcrowding, hated wearing them as got the piss taken out of me in school, they were the big mouth filling braces so couldn’t talk properly with them in so after 2 years of not really wearing them In school I gave up.

Then braces from the age of 25 to 30 to correct all the problems I’d caused by refusing to wear braces when I needed them.

Prior to the braces had to have 4 tooth extractions before brace fitting to prevent overcrowding.

During that time also had orthodontic surgery to correct an overbite. This entailed lower jaw getting broken moved forward and fixed in place. Mouth was wired shut for about six weeks, couldn’t talk during that time and had to eat and drink through a straw. Had to attend hospital once a week so they could remove all the bands holding my mouth shut and let me brush my teeth. Still have metal wires from the operation in my lower jaw which look pretty cool on an X-ray!

Once the braces were removed I was given retainers to keep my teeth straight. Anytime I stopped using them for more than a few days my teeth would start to return to the old pre-brace position.

After a while managed to lose my retainers by leaving them in a restaurant one night, decided I couldn’t be bothered to go through the trash to try and find them (waitress had already binned them when I called them up).

Within a month my teeth were pretty much back where they were prior to all the corrective work, so 5 years of braces and 3 years of retainers for nothing. My jawline still looks great from the operation though!

Finally before the above surgery I was told I’d need my wisdom teeth removing, however the surgeon didn’t have time to extract them during the op. 3 years later they start impacting badly on my teeth. I go in for minor surgery to get the first wisdom tooth extracted... two hours later the dentist managed to remove one of my wisdoms, declaring it was “the hardest extraction he’d ever had to do” Basically my jaw bone is much weaker due to the jaw operation and trying to remove the tooth with force could have snapped my jaw in two. Also during the jaw surgery healing process the bone had regrown around my wisdom teeth, so the dentist had to saw and hack away at the tooth to extract it and stitch my gum back together. He cut my gum so badly the bleeding didn’t stop for 2 days, ended up going into A&E.

I still need my other wisdom tooth extracting, the dentist said my jaw is much thinner on the other side and it could break much easier. Safe to say I never went back to have it removed. I was never afraid of the dentist but after all the years of work I really can’t be bothered anymore with the discomfort. I am intending to go back I just need a break from all the work. I haven’t been for a while now and I can feel problems starting to develop again, teeth sensitive and don’t feel clean and that other wisdom still needs to come out!

TLDR After 10+ years of braces, retainers, surgery and extractions I still have my winning British smile!

Last edited:

Dural

Not a fan of Dentists, I guess I'm an anti-dentite. :messenger_beaming:

I feel like every time I go they want to take x-rays and try and sell me on something, all I want is to get my damn teeth cleaned and get out. My wife had braces as a kid and a permanent retainer on the bottom that eventually fell out. They convinced her that her teeth were all shifting and they'd be back where they originally were so she just got Invisalign. They're also trying to sell her on something with a receding gumline that costs $12,000!

Kamina

Golden Boy
Had lots of holes as a kid, now i haven’t been to the dentist for 10 years as i have problems.

Had 2 fillings in March because I neglected my dental hygiene like a moron and now I have to suffer the consequences. They aren't too bad, but I would have preferred not to have them at all.

SHADES

I can totally relate OP.

I didn't have the best of childhoods (father didn't wish to be a father and mother took that out on us physically). So when I was ten years old I needed some work done, a couple of fillings and a root canal. The fillings were done first but the dentist wanted to do the canal the following week. My mother took me the 1st time but for the root canal appointment she wasn't at the surgery following school but had already signed consent (this was back in 1990/1) so the dentist said I'd be fine etc and being 10 at the time took him at his word. Turns out my mother had been drinking that afternoon and fell asleep.

So I get in the dentist chair he proceeds to have a look but as hes doing so he put his hand on my leg, at first I thought he was just supporting himself but he then put his hand on my genitals and looked at me, I asked him "what the hell did he think he was doing?" to which he immediately stated it was a mistake. He then convinced me to carry on with the procedure, assuring me of his mistake and wouldn't happen again, but when carrying out the root canal he "apparently" forgot to give me a local. That hurt like hell, I've never felt pain like that before or since!
I went home to tell my mother but she was passed out on the sofa, then I thought about it and came to the conclusion that no one would believe me so I left it. Years later the same dentist was struck off following further sexual assaults on other patients but by then the damage was done for me.

My parents split later that year and I went to live with relatives. By the time I was 14 I'd fell in with a group of older lads and was introduced to heroin which was like the comfort blanket I'd never had as a child, it was a constant in my non-constant world, I descended into 10 years of heroin addiction. Towards the end of that addiction, the drugs and lack of dentist visits had taken its toll. I ended needing surgery to remove all back teeth, both top and bottom, leaving me with only 12 teeth, 6 on the top and 6 on the bottom. I'm still very fearful of going to the dentist to this day.

kingwingin

Biggest scam artists on the planet.

I only go every 6 or so years when I tooth hurts and I pay them $50 bucks to pull it.

Justify

Banned
I need your help. What is an inexpensive dentist in Thailand? I must having a dental implant. My family and I are checking the best clinics here. How to choose an inexpensive and good clinic there?

petran79

Banned
A dentist cut my tongue with the drill tool and then tried to blame it on me saying that I bit my tongue. At least she sewed the cut. Stopped visiting her after that

Jacknapes

Had braces for a few years when i was 13-14. Was told i needed wisdom teeth taken out, never had them out. After all the brace treatment, the teeth went back as they were when the wisdom teeth came through. Parents did get the money back from the dentist because he failed to get the wisdom teeth taken out before treatment, and he's since had his license revoked.

Had 2 fillings, both down to overcrowding. And i've had 1 tooth out to save 3 as there was some decay behind the tooth which was starting to impact onto 2 others.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A little over 12 years ago, I had my bottom wisdom teeth pulled by a local, backwoods dentist. Think "middle of nowhere, midwest, bible belt, US". No anesthesia, no numbing. He gave me a shot of Jack Daniels then started pulling with forceps.

I've been in a lot of pain in my life, but I always consider this to be (so far) the worst. I nearly passed out. I will always remember how that felt as my teeth were being ripped out. Thankfully within a few weeks the pain subsided as did the pain I was having in my wisdom teeth, so at least it was effective.

A few years later I had moved to a less impoverished part of the country, and had dental insurance through my work. I had my top wisdom teeth taken out under full anesthesia and it was a MUCH more pleasant experience.

nemiroff

Gold Member
My dentist is hot, and I try to force a couple of cavities between visits so that I get more time with her. 10mg Oxazepam, her chest on my cheek and I'm in heaven.

Durask

Had teeth problems all my life. I think large part of it is genetic plus in the country where i was born there was no fluoride in the water.

So now after 10+ years most of my bridges/crowns have to be replaced and some teeth underneath have decayed so at this point I need

-at least 4 and maybe 6 implants
-gum reduction in the front
-new bridges and crowns once implants go in

I had two teeth removed last year and they did a bone graft, the whole thing hurt like hell for 2 weeks. Now I have to put them on hold and take care of front teeth.
So now my dentist has removed all crowns and bridges on top and put in a temp that essentially covers all upper teeth, then the plan is for the oral surgeon to remove two front teeth, maybe more, do bone graft for two implants and cement back the temp teeth so I do not walk around with no front teeth.
This s**t will hurt like hell for weeks.
Basically what they will be doing for the rest of the year is snap off temp teeth, do some work, cement the temp teeth back, wait for stuff to heal, repeat.

I was in flight school in the Army and not allowed to be knocked out to have my wisdom teeth taken out or get any of the good stuff, So, they pulled my teeth, gave me some tylenol and I got back to work the very next day.

Loke

Had one of my tooth just drop dead years ago and to this day I still have no idea why it died. One of the worst pains I've even endured; luckily I got an appointment the day after and got a root canal treatment but I still had to sleep through the bullshit. The entire area around the tooth got infected with nasty pus shit. Fuck that. Never again.

Dark Star

This thread is calling my name. Seriously. I went to the dentist THIS MORNING lol.

I HATE going to the dentist with a fiery passion. It's always a terrible experience, though a very necessary one. In general, I have very good dental hygiene, and in my 20-something years alive, I have never had a cavity. I eat clean foods, don't smoke, and don't drink soda or alcohol, so I guess that's the reason. Anyways, I have TMJ so I have a hard time keeping my jaw wide open for such a long period, so I nearly passed out on the chair today in a state of utter mouth fatigue. It sucks. I also have an abnormal / extreme gag reflex, so you can guarantee I'll choke and spit if they push my tongue back or reach too far. So many people find going to the dentist to be a "therapeutic" experience, but the thought of one shoving their latex rubber fingers and sharp, pointy tools in my mouth just gives me a lot of anxiety. I really, really dislike getting my teeth scraped and cleaned every 6 months, but it's obviously a privilege that I appreciate and take advantage of, having good dental insurance.

Worst experience was getting my wisdom teeth removed in highschool. They put me under, which wasn't too bad, because I was high as a kite afterwards lol. But the following weeks were pretty painful. You can only eat soft foods like mash potatoes and yogurt and ice cream and stuff, need to take codeine pills to numb the healing scar pain, and yeah it hurts.

I also agree with the sentiment that most of them are liars and scam artists. I've had like a dozen different dentists already. One of them told my sister she had 4 cavities, but we didn't believe them, because she also has great dental hygiene. So we went to another dentist a month later, and guess what? No cavities. Some of them are definitely liars who try to make you pay out of pocket for fillings and treatment you don't need.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
Just in the last two weeks I've had two teeth prepped for crowns, a custom printed set of gum health cleaning brackets made and got me a waterpik. All done for under $300. I like my dentist.

'I'm sorry, we have no spaces for NHS patients. Would you like to book a check-up for £35 and possibly pay £250 for tooth extraction?

Hello?

Sir?'

Melon

Banned
My mom is my dentist, which is both a blessing and a curse. Free dental work, but if my bite is slightly off I get screeched at. :lollipop_sad_relieved:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I love going to the dentist. I find it very soothing.

I go once every two years or so. And usually I don't have anything that needs to be removed, except for a little bit of tartar, and I LOVE it when they remove it. It's like grinding your teeth, only it's not a bad thing for you. Always look forward to it.

Shrap

I dunno what it's like for you guys but where I live all the dental nurses are insanely hot. The actual dentist is usually some middle aged guys making terrible dad jokes but the nurses make up for it. Whenever the dentist starts talking I just wanna tell them to stfu and let the nurse hose my mouth down and watch me drool on my bib.

zeorhymer

I hate dentists. I have very bad gag reflex and they have to stop working on my mouth or else I'll start to dry heave. I really need to find one that can accomodate or help me out with that.

I had this one dentist that would cradle my head into her tits. Sadly she screwed up a crown so had to get a new dentist.

I went about 15 years without going and was a little scared. It turned out all I needed was a deep cleaning and a couple of tiny cavities filled.. I now go twice a year and have no real issue. It was jarring feeling how different my teeth felt after the deep cleaning though. A lot of what I thought was my actual teeth was just calcium build-up over the years.

Good dentists are hard to find. Almost any faceless dental conglomerate that sends you a little slip of paper in the mail offering discounts and free cleanings or xrays is usually masking the fact that they charge the highest prices and their dentists will always recommend the most extreme procedures for even minor problems. It's best to try to avoid them all together if you can or go to one who is willing to put their own name on the front of the building. Those are the people who thrive on their reputation and are more likely to work with you when it comes to making payments.

JBat

I've seen the same dentist my whole life. She's great. The couple times I've had to be numbed I swear I've never seen or felt the needle. She's like a ninja. Plus she waits until you can answer before starting conversation instead of when your mouth is hanging open

Mistake

when I was 13 or so I got a tooth pulled to make space for a canine coming down. The dentist kept saying to wait on braces because it wasn’t down yet. Turns out, he wasn’t even qualified to make that decision, because he was a dentist and not an oral surgeon. My tooth ended up never came down, and now it’s sideways up in my gums (not visible, but impacted the growth of my next tooth a bit.) I didn’t know any of this until I started taking more care of my mouth a few years ago. So my first piece of advice is to know who the hell you’re going to for what, as some people don’t know the difference. The good news is that I might be able to get braces this year and bring it down. Then I’ll have a new tooth at 30, which is.....different.

As some of you guys probably know, I’m in China a lot. Well it came time to get my first wisdom tooth out, so I used some contacts to find a recommended place, which was a hospital. It looked like a murder scene during the procedure, so I was freaked out. Blood everywhere. After you’re told not to exercise for a few days and use ice. One problem. They didn’t give ice, and I’m in a country that doesn’t believe in it. I had to walk 3km to find a kfc, as no other restaurants had any.

i got a good one

when i was 19 i went to a dentist to get a chipped tooth fix
there was this pretty nice looking dental nurse and we had some good chemistry and conversation and then she started to crap on about her perfect husband while rubbing her tits on my shoulder while she was working...wasnt sure if she was being sarcastic or not
this unfortunately had an affect on something down lower and i didn't realise that it had slipped out the bottom of my shorts and was poking out like a german soldier looking out of a trench

She noticed this and i thought she was running for the door but instead she locked it and came back and then started to tug it with her hand...after about a minute she had second thoughts im guessing and tucked it back in and finished off the tooth
it was a really awkward exchange afterwards and we didn't really mentioned what happened.....i went home with blue balls.....i asked for her card but she didnt write a phone number on it and a few weeks later i decided to go in for a clean just to see whats up and the appointment was about as plain as a trip to church

i could not help but think if i should of taken charge and just bent her over the chair but i was still very young and was never really a dominate type

i got a good one

there was this pretty nice looking dental nurse and we had some good chemistry and conversation and then she started to crap on about her perfect husband while rubbing her tits on my shoulder while she was working...wasnt sure if she was being sarcastic or not
this unfortunately had an affect on something down lower and i didn't realise that it had slipped out the bottom of my shorts and was poking out like a german soldier looking out of a trench

She noticed this and i thought she was running for the door but instead she locked it and came back and then started to tug it with her hand...after about a minute she had second thoughts im guessing and tucked it back in and finished off the tooth
it was a really awkward exchange afterwards and we didn't really mentioned what happened.....i went home with blue balls.....i asked for her card but she didnt write a phone number on it and a few weeks later i decided to go in for a clean just to see whats up and the appointment was about as plain as a trip to church

i could not help but think if i should of taken charge and just bent her over the chair but i was still very young and was never really a dominate type

Gotta call BS on this. How long is your rod that it slips out the bottom of your male length shorts while lying back in a dental chair?

TindalosPup

My dentist literally saved my life in June 2018.

My dad made a bad call when I was really young and had agreed to a post and implant put in for one of my molars when I has around 4-5 instead of it just being removed (my dentist then was kind of a hack, it came out not too long after he retired). I was jumping on the furniture like the child I was and not only broke all my top front teeth to the gum line, but fractured a molar in half. I hadn't known about the implant for the longest time, I was put under and they put it in when they removed the stumps of my front teeth. The implant even fell out kind of like a regular baby tooth but the post was actually drilled far enough that it stayed and messed with my adult molar (the post was literally part of my adult tooth). The new dentists after that just kind of covered for my old one, they didn't even tell my mom about the piece of metal in my mouth and kept filling and sealing it.

This made for a unique cavity formation with my genetically soft teeth when I had lost the filling in a period of no insurance, the tooth was completely hollow and got severely infected. I had gotten seen by a new dentist and I was put on a really strong antibiotic (it scared my pharmacist) for a week and was told if I had waited any longer I might have been killed by the resulting sepsis when it reached my blood. The post acted like an expressway for the infection from the tooth to move into my jaw quicker than normal and the process was starting. Thank goodness for the dentist knowing what was going on.

My dad felt like crap when I told him about it.

Fushitsusha

Banned
i got a good one

when did you dream this?

C4lukin2

Banned
So I finished my procedures. It was not super bad.

Yes it took 7 procedures, over three months.

And it did end up costing me 15k, but I could have saved 2k if I had refused gas and various numming agents.

But before said procedures, I was constantly in pain. I had an exposed nerve in one of my teeth. I had nightly nightmares. Oh and I was afraid to smile. So the process was not that bad. At least better then braces, which took 10 times as long.

But it was expensive. But I feel so much better. No more tooth pain, no more worrying about my smile.

If you have the money, forget about the stress of the procedure because it is not that bad. And the dentist does not care, they have seen much worse.

Get your shit fixed if it is really bugging you, and you can.afford it.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
So I went about 18 years without seeing a dentist.

To give a backstory, I went through some crazy dental experiences growing up.

I had my two front rabbit teeth either punched out, and the other hit by a door by age 13. So they both got crowns, by this horrible dentist that ended up killing himself, probably not because he was a terrible dentist, but he had other shit to deal with.

Anyway I had my front two teeth capped. Then it was braces time. Fuck braces they are painful, and my teeth were not that bad, but I had a side bite I guess. So when I bit down my central teeth were biting down more towards one side then the other.

So at the age of 15, I had braces, and this weird hydralic system where these giant pistons realigned my jaw and bite.

And I got all of that removed, just as I was entering college. But 5 years later I had to get my wisdom teeth removed. Which went well. No big deal there.

But I had been sniffing the dirty Skoal tobacco all this time. And so, with my teeth all fixed, I continued in the world.

But once I was in college I just stopped seeing the dentist. I did a decent job of flossing and brushing, but it was obvious that my teeth were not being well taken care of.

One day, about a week ago, one of the crowns on my front teeth shattered.

And I was like fuck, I finally have to go back to the dentist.

But all along I wanted to go back to the dentist and fix my shit. But I was so afraid of the consequences.

Did I have cancer in my mouth from the years of snuffing? Would they judge me.. It had been 18 years of neglect.

But once I shattered a front tooth crown, and I looked like the Walking Dead, I decided now to take care of it.

So long story short, I went 18 years without getting my teeth cleaned. And sniffing tobacco all the way.

And it is probably going to cost 12 grand at the end of the day to fix all the damage done. But it is totally worth it, at least for me.

Assuming I do not die from some weird allergy, it will be 6 visits and I will have a giant fresh mouth.

So the point of the story is, I felt like a piece of shit who had not had their teeth cleaned for like 18 years. And the anxiety of the situation, kept me from going in.

But in the end, dentists have seen everything, no reason to be embarrassed, and I am half way to a new healthy mouth, and maybe in a month I will comfortable smiling again.

And it was not that bad. It was expensive and I even had a little bit of dental insurance.

Main point of this, just get your teeth taken care of, or any medical condition in general. I realize as I am half of the way to getting a decent mouth together, that I was so stupid all along.

Your dentist is not going to judge you, chances are they work on 80 year olds who lack the gums to support real teeth.

Just get yourself out there, get your mouth fixed up. You will feel not only better about your appearance, but you can remove a lot of pain as well.

That sounds rough. I guess I got off easy. My only dental work, if that's what this can be called, was having a wisdom tooth that had some kind of infection in the gums beneath it pulled. Even with a large Tylenol 20 minutes prior and plenty of shots of novocain it still hurt like hell. And it took forever to heal.

C4lukin2

Banned
That sounds rough. I guess I got off easy. My only dental work, if that's what this can be called, was having a wisdom tooth that had some kind of infection in the gums beneath it pulled. Even with a large Tylenol 20 minutes prior and plenty of shots of novocain it still hurt like hell. And it took forever to heal.

I had four wisdom teeth removed, and I was lucky.

No infections or anything.

They put me down for the procedure. Gave me painkillers. I took those for two days, and woke up fine.

I have friends who have horror stories, having to clean out gaping wounds and having infections. I got lucky.

Top Bottom