• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent on an all-out war with Steam in China which is part of Asia

Pixieking

Banned
Just because people think a Western company is monopolistic, does not mean that a Chinese company acting super aggressively and money-hatting games is 1) competition, or 2) a good thing for us.

It's certainly a good business move by Tencent, but that don't mean it's good for gamers, or good for the industry.

Kayant

ITT: People saying competition is good loool.

This is the opposite of competition paying to be the sole distributor of a product isn't competing it's just limiting options to one sole source.

This doesn't effect me but i don't like this kind of deals because it basically becomes like the console space where in one ecosystem you don't have multiple stores competing on things like price, customer service etc

BigEmil

Consumers will get price wars, upgraded services, better features/support, etc

The fascination with steam and the "steam or bust" mentality is why Steam is such hot garbage now
Right on, the Steam defence force fanboys needs to think straight sometimes thinking so much for the company than consumers

and still you'lll be able to play the moneyhatted games on weplay account, that you can make for free (if they ever moneyhat games in the west)

Exactly!

It's just business.

Valve could try competing with Tencent and offer those companies/devs a better deal.

Tencent is massive. They are a force to be reckoned with. I highly doubt Valve would be able to compete with their warchest.

Been watching this company for awhile.

Armaros

Gaffers cheering on Tencent as a way to fight the 'steam monopoly' show how ignorant and uninformed they are about the nature of Tencent and other Chinese monolith companies.

Lister

Banned
Asia is THE emerging market. If Steam wants to remain successful in the PC space they need to not be the beamdog/GOG of Asia.

And it's going to be tough, there is a lot of backroom dealing in China that could have even the government showing preferential treatment to tencent.

They need to do what they've been refusing to do: Promote their platform in Asia AND here. Promote PC gaming, sign exclusivity deals, invest in exclusive PC titles.

If they don't, I'm guessing in 10 years we'll be singing on to WeGame instead of Steam.

ITT: People saying competition is good loool.

This is the opposite of competition paying to be the sole distributor of a product isn't competing it's just limiting options to one sole source.

This doesn't effect me but i don't like this kind of deals because it basically becomes like the console space where in one ecosystem you don't have multiple stores competing on things like price, customer service etc

It's competition at a different level, giving the publisher different options on how to sell the game.

Armaros

Asia is THE emerging market. If Steam wants to remain successful in the PC space they need to not be the beamdog/GOG of Asia.

And it's going to be tough, there is a lot of backroom dealing in China that could have even the government showing preferential treatment to tencent.

They need to do what they've bene refusing to do: Promote their paltform in Asia AND here. Promote PC gaming, sigg exlcusivity deals invest in exclusive titles.

If they don't, I'm guessing in 10 years we'll be singing on to WeGame instead of Steam.

If the Chinese government says they don't want you to succeed in China, you won't, bigger companies with more clout have tried and lost.

And Tencent will have massive government backing.

MUnited83

For you.

The fascination with steam and the "steam or bust" mentality is why Steam is such hot garbage now
Consumers will get exactly zero of those. There is nothing Tencent is doing that is actual benefitial competition.

I do love how steam is "hot garbage" yet it is the best PC platform in the business by far, and all Tencent can do apparently is just throw money around instead of investing in a actual better client with better features that actually does some actual competition.

Kayant

It's competition at a different level, giving the publisher different options on how to sell the game.
Sure it is on that level but at the same time it's also a move to block competition once they have placed their offer because options would exist for the publisher/Dev after.

Pixieking

Banned
Right on, the Steam defence force fanboys needs to think straight sometimes

Can we not have cries of "fanboy", please? Not like it helps the conversation. And it boils down opposing viewpoints to the most basic tribal level, which is pretty disrespectful to those of us arguing actual points.

Chobel

To "competition is good" people, good for who
m
? How does removing games from a webstore benefit gamers?

There other divisions like security software and casual gaming sections have A TON of anti-consumer strategies like installing their "system security tools" on users' PCs without explicit consent and/or are hard to uninstall without technical knowledge. And a lot of their F2P games are widely regarded as rip offs and have A TON of unfair microtransactions.

Shit, I hope this doesn't carry on to their new webstore service.

BigEmil

Can we not have cries of "fanboy", please? Not like it helps the conversation.
Sure but you'll see alot of them like they were paid to stand up for and very Pro-Steam to the end like Durante for example same ones who's really against other western storefronts on PC like Origin, GOG, UWP and that Steam should be the only one taking control of the PC gaming market

Then Tencent should not be fucking over consumers if they can't bother to even try to compete legitimately

I'd rather not replace steam with a company that's willing to do something like this. Competition is good but this is too great a cost.

I was not commenting on Tencent. I know nothing about them. I was responding directly to that poster's statement that the "right" way to compete with Steam was to build a better platform than Steam instead of having exclusive games (he specifically referred to EA/Origin). My argument is that in reality it would be near impossible to pry users out of Steam's ecosystem WITHOUT exclusives. Building a platform without them would be a total waste of time and money. If you want Steam to have competition, there are going to be exclusive games on the competitor's services.

sirap

Sure but you'll see alot of them like they were paid to stand up for and very Pro-Steam to the end like Durante for example same ones who's really against other western storefronts on PC like Origin, GOG, UWP and that Steam should be the only one taking control of the PC gaming market

wut.

Durante is no shill.

Armaros

Oh yes now we go down the 'paid to shill for steam' rabbit hole.

Would you like some tinfoil with that as well?

Pixieking

Banned

A pro-Steam viewpoint doesn't mean fanboy, and doesn't mean that we're ignorant. And when Durante says something is bad for the consumer (like being unable to mod games) maybe it's just truthful.

BigEmil

Oh yes now we go down the 'paid to shill for steam' rabbit hole.

Would you like some tinfoil with that as well?
Whatever you make of it my views are im very pro-consumer so I'm all for this so let's not get derailed and get back on topic

Chobel

Huh? You have no fucking idea about you're talking about, do you?

Armaros

I was not commenting on Tencent. I know nothing about them. I was responding directly to that poster's statement that the "right" way to compete with Steam was to build a better platform than Steam instead of having exclusive games (he specifically referred to EA/Origin). My argument is that in reality it would be near impossible to pry users out of Steam's ecosystem WITHOUT exclusives. Building a platform without them would be a total waste of time and money. If you want Steam to have competition, there are going to be exclusive games on the competitor's services.

If the only competition one can muster up is to buy exclusivity.

Maybe the compeitition isn't bringing anything worthwhile?

MUnited83

For you.
Ah, i see you are one of the dudes that is so insanely anti Steam you start making shit up as you go along.

MUnited83

For you.
Whatever you make of it my views are im very pro-consumer so I'm all for this so let's not get derailed and get back on topic
"Very pro consumer" when literally defending a company literally paying to get a game removed from other service and so making so the consumer has less choice, less price options, less everything. That's fucking hilarious.

Chobel

Funding games and signing exclusives is one thing, removing games from other webstores to artificially gain that "exclusive" is something way more different.

Not really.
Exclusivity doesn't mesh well with "price wars".
On top of that, price wars is already happening because Valve allowed for keys to be generated at no fees for developpers, with no limit.
What it means is that stores can sell these keys with better prices. This is why we get games 20% cheaper or more depending on the site.

Exclusivity doesn't mesh well with the concept of "upgraded services" either.

You still didn't explained though why it's hot garbage.

Very pro-consumer in a thread about a company paying to get exclusive games on their services, up to remove them from another one ? C'mon. I'm all for competition, but is that competition ?

Tagyhag

No they won't. Why would they when you can ONLY get those games on WeGame...

I'm convinced some of you either don't know who Tencent actually is or you hate Valve so much that you don't care.

Yes, Valve having an outright monopoly isn't good. Having TENCENT outright purchase exclusivity and have the games be taken out of Steam isn't good either!!

sprinkles

I buy 80% of my Steam games outside of Steam because Steam allows competition and many games are cheaper (outside of the big sales) on other storefronts. I use Steam features like In-Home-Streaming and Big Picture mode for most of my time playing PC games, both features do not exist on Origin, UPlay etc. Aside from the actual Steam frontpage being not that great (which I have not visited in maybe 5 years except for the sales periods) I did not get the memo that Steam is "hot garbage" right now.

The future of the gaming industry is going to be fought in Asia I feel. If valve has its stuff together (lol) I would think they'd be gearing up to hit back pretty hard.

I mean when you look at stats like China having more people in their middle income Group than the US has people period, as their economy keeps growing and that section of the economy starts demanding more and more services I don't think any industry with a worldwide outlook can afford to be caught with their pants down over there.

Perfectly put, Valve definitely want a piece of that pie.

Usobuko

Banned
I honestly don't see how either Valve or Tencent threatens each other core gaming markets in the short / mid term.

I see it as an impossible task for either company.

Long term as in how mobile gaming will shape generation Z and so fro etc., I have no idea.

sirap

Shitposts and tries to derail a thread. Also accuses a well-respected member of this board of shilling.

Gets called out on it.

"Guys pls don't derail this thread"

Oh if I remember correct, Don't Starve sold over 1 million copies on TGP (predecessor or WeGame) without advertising to its Steam crowd.

Maybe the compeitition isn't bringing anything worthwhile?

I don't think EA is "buying" it's exclusives for Origin, which is the example cited in the original post. The poster I was responding to didn't seem to care, he hates ANY digital storefront exclusives.

Or maybe, just maybe, there are reasons to have this kind of reasoning ?

Consumers will get exactly zero of those. There is nothing Tencent is doing that is actual benefitial competition.

I do love how steam is "hot garbage" yet it is the best PC platform in the business by far, and all Tencent can do apparently is just throw money around instead of investing in a actual better client with better features that actually does some actual competition.

Tencent could bring the most wanted Asian games to the western markets. That is an upside and it would help their client compete with Steam.

Origin has better features: games support partial download, sleeker and faster UI, chatbox which doesn't color both parties blue and lump them in the same corner, better voice chat, preview for game keys, trials, free games on the house... Tencent would hit the same brick wall without a massive amount of the exclusive content regardless of the quality of the launcher.

There can be no better platform selling point because Steam has all core features and most importantly everyone is on it, it is like suggesting making a facebook or twitter competitor with improvement.

Armaros

We want Tencent to do anti-consumer things to whip Valve into shape and do what, somehow be more pro-consumer while we just supported a company doing anti-consumer things in the name of 'competition'?

This logic doesn't work.

4Tran

In a fight between companies, Tencent is never the little guy. Is it the name that makes people underestimate them? Tencent is one of the biggest players in video games and social, and it's literally the most valuable company (by market cap) in Asia!

As for this development, it's pretty much to be expected that Tencent is going to throw their weight around in the domestic market. It's how things are done in China, and Tencent has been one of the most successful players. I don't think that it's an indication of how things will play out if WeGame expands to the rest of the world, but I'm taking a "wait and see" position on whether it's going to be good news for the rest of us.

Tencent could bring the most wanted Asian games to the western markets. That is an upside and it would help their client compete with Steam.
I wouldn't count on that. Tencent is barely making an effort to bring their own software to the rest of the world, so it might be a long time before they start distributing other companies' games.

I-I... I can't with all these fucking hot takes.

Steam has been sitting on their laurels for years?

Their biggest problem in years has been doing too much random shit like experimenting with Steam machines and Steam controller. That's not exactly just sitting around and being docile.

Most of their experiments have ended with lackluster results but they have still ran a stable and successful platform during that time.

I would have preferred that they just iterate on their core platform during that time but they weren't being challenged so I can't really blame them for attempting new ventures.

I don't even get it man...as bad as EA and MS are, altleast they only secure their own games for Origin and Windows Live.
Already forgot about Dead Rising being W10 store timed exclusive eh?

MS is not exempt. They are awful as well when it comes to this anti-consumer bs.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Honestly, compare Tencent's League of Legends F2P model with Valve's Dota 2 F2P model.

Tens of thousands of hours required to unlock all champions vs. all unlocked from the moment you install.

Why would you want more Tencent in your life?

Pixieking

Banned
Honestly, compare Tencent's League of Legends F2P model with Valve's Dota 2 F2P model.

Tens of thousands of hours required to unlock all champions vs. all unlocked from the moment you install.

Why would you want more Tencent in your life?

Grass is always greener syndrome. Valve sucks because they're the establishment, and are known. Tencent are new and shiny, so they must be better, right?

Shades of US politics? :p

Top Bottom