• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think he needs 2 more slams to really be in the upper echelons. That'd put him Wilander level - 1 slam less, but the other accomplishments make up for it. Definitely top ten all time if he can do that.

I think he needs 2 more slams to really be in the upper echelons. That'd put him Wilander level - 1 slam less, but the other accomplishments make up for it. Definitely top ten all time if he can do that.

He's got to have a good shot at winning maybe 2 slams next year

John Dunbar

correct about everything
djokovic has a crazy amount of points to defend in the first half of the season, so just decent play should keep murray as the number one until wimbledon. those weeks will stack up.

I think he needs to sustain the #1 spot for the best part of a season, or complete a career slam, to be an all-time great.

He has to be overwhelming favourite to finally win in Melbourne.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He should focus on winning the AO now, it's kind of ridiculous he hasn't at this point.

Yeah, that has to be the most frustrating absence on his CV. Mind you, only four things missing now - AO, RG, Indian Wells, and Monte Carlo.

I managed to get a ticket for the final tonight and have just arrived home. So pleased for Murray, Djokovic has gone off the boil but you can't take anything away from Murray. I think I'm right in saying when the rankings are updated he'll have beaten the players ranked 2nd to 6th all in one week, no one can argue he is the best in the World and must be favourite for the Australian Open now. He can probably extend his winning streak to about 30 games as well if he starts next year off right, It'd be nice if he can add a couple more Slams but he's basically done everything he could have ever dreamt of. One of the greatest British sportsmen ever.

It's incredible to think that the scrawny lad who cramped up at both Queen's and Wimbledon has gone on, over a decade later, to become a man of steel. Breaks the record for the longest match in the tour finals twice in one week, including the day before the final, saves MP, then wins it all, playing one of the best matches of his career. And fitting too that he broke with his habitual monochrome dress to wear army colours - he had a mission, and he accomplished it.

This must be the biggest single match win outside a Slam in tennis history - Andy's first Tour Finals, first YE #1, essentially guarantees #1 for a good chunk of 2017, in straights over the previous #1 who six months ago held all four Slams, 24 hours after a 3:30 hour match while his opponent had a cruise.

Two last thoughts: Djokovic, as ever, remarkably respectful in defeat. And Ivan Lendl is either an excellent coach, or a very lucky one. Murray's single-minded intensity over the past six months has been completely unlike anything I've ever seen him produce week-in week-out at any other point in his career. And as Annabel Croft pointed out, it all goes back to a chaotic match in Monte Carlo, where Benoit Paire let an awful Murray off the hook with a total implosion. Since then, he has lost only 6 matches (Nadal (MC), Djokovic (x2 Madrid and FO), Cilic (Cincy), Nishikori (USO), Del Potro (DC)) and won 70 (including 2 walkovers).

Reap what you sow young ones. Glad to see Kyrgios and Tomic weren't up for the Aussie Newcombe medal this year, again.

Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic have again been snubbed as nominees for Australia's top tennis award, the Newcombe Medal.

Tomic has been improving his sportsmanship, Kyrgios not so much. Me...I hope Alcott takes the medal, would be well deserved.

Wheelchair tennis player Alcott won the Australian Open in 2016 and took out gold in singles and doubles at the Paralympic Games.

oti

Banned
The IPTL is on its way and it's kinda hilarious. Hingis played Singles against Bertens and won. Philippoussis played against Safin.

Ricker

Damn,she was already doubtful for the AO because of another injury but this is bad...its a random burglary,could of been worst...saw her in Montreal this year,hope she gets well soon.

Update:

''The two-time Wimbledon winner underwent a nearly four hour surgery to repair lacerations and nerve damage, and is now in a cast for the next six to eight weeks; she won't be able to bear weight on her left hand for at least three months.''

:( ....hope they catch the burglar.

Looks like next season HAWKeye will be replaced by FOXtenn

http://www.itftennis.com/news/247816.aspx
247814_bigpicture.jpg

The ITF announced that a new electronic line-calling system, FOXTENN Top Real Precision System, has, following a rigorous series of tests, met the criteria set by a committee comprising representatives of the ITF, ATP, WTA and Grand Slam tournaments for use in reviewing decisions made by on-court officials.
FOXTENN becomes the second electronic line-calling system to have met the criteria set by the committee, following Hawk-Eye Officiating in 2005.
Although the committee has reached the conclusion of its evaluation process with FOXTENN, it recommends, as with all electronic line-calling systems, that stadium-specific testing is conducted prior to implementation at a tournament.
Stuart Miller, ITF Senior Executive Director of Development and Integrity, said: “This result reflects the hard work put in by both FOXTENN and the joint governing body committee. We would like to thank the manufacturer, professional tours and tournaments for supporting the evaluation process.”
Javier Simón, CEO of FOXTENN, said: “It's an honour to have been working with the professional international tennis organisations to develop such a stunning product. I'm sure it will provide a step forward in tennis technology, and enhance officiating and performance analysis with stunning accuracy and new breakthrough images and content for all tennis enthusiasts.”
About FOXTENN
FOXTENN is a leading high-tech company dedicated to developing extremely accurate sports analysis and breakthrough technological products that radically impact sports officiating.
FOXTENN’s line-calling system works with a new technology based on the real bounce of the ball. Thanks to more than 40 ultra-high-speed cameras that generate more than 2,500 images per second each, synchronised with high-speed lasers, the system analyses more than 150,000 images per second, achieving the highest levels of accuracy and results. Its mission is to become an unprecedented reference for line-calling systems worldwide.

line judge jobs are about to become fully automated.

Just a few more days until the 2017 season begins and Nadal returns to play in Brisbane! Woohoo!

Also Mirza is now at 90 weeks and counting as world #1 doubles player. Glad she got rid of that dead weight Martina Hingis who was holding her back...

oti

Banned
Just a few more days until the 2017 season begins and Nadal returns to play in Brisbane! Woohoo!

Also Mirza is now at 90 weeks and counting as world #1 doubles player. Glad she got rid of that dead weight Martina Hingis who was holding her back...

Hell no! You don't just disrespect the Swiss Miss! One of the best tennis players of all time!

milanbaros

Member?
On Monday Andy will have reached 9 weeks at number 1. This will put him at joint 18th and ahead of 7 other players.

It will then be 3 more weeks to match the great Boris Becker. Good luck Andy.

Ricker

Ah damn,I liked Ivanovic but she felt she couldnt compete with the best to get back on top...still 29 is still a little early to retire...and she will probably announce she is pregnant soon or planning on it.

Ah damn,I liked Ivanovic but she felt she couldnt compete with the best to get back on top...still 29 is still a little early to retire...and she will probably announce she is pregnant soon or planning on it.

Its unfortunate that women who want kids of their own should really have them before their 30's. After age 35 women are much more likely to give birth to children with defects. If women continue to have children later and later, then hopefully eventually biology/evolution will adjust and having kids after age 35 won't provide any greater risks than having a kid at 20. But that will take generations of women having children later in life

Top Bottom