• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA News, Information, & Beta Thread

Mupod

I understand that, I just don't see why it should be that way. The MMO community seems to have come to some kind of concession with these problems and have written them off as normal and to be expected. Why should enchanting be a useless moneysink at lower levels and only useful at end game? The system is in place at lower levels and so it should server a purpose at lower levels. Simple as that.

It's plenty useful at lower levels. You get more than enough random fodder items while leveling to quickly throw a +3 on whatever decent enchantable weapons you find/buy and it does make a difference. Even +6 isn't that hard to do and could be well worth it if you somehow get a gold item in Sinistral Manor or whatever.

I understand that, I just don't see why it should be that way. The MMO community seems to have come to some kind of concession with these problems and have written them off as normal and to be expected. Why should enchanting be a useless moneysink at lower levels and only useful at end game? The system is in place at lower levels and so it should server a purpose at lower levels. Simple as that.

I know eastern MMO games tend to favour the end game big time, but there's no reason that should be accepted as good design, to me it's indefensibly bad.

It's mainly the fault of players who have the mentality of rushing to the cap. All MMOGs tend to favor the endgame big time because its what players seem to care about. This is a problem in the West and the East.

The Argon Queen update is pretty much confirmed for NA launch, along with a level cap of 60. Also, it seems like they will be scaling up the difficulty for many of the 58 dungeons to match the 60 cap:

Brian Knox said:
Our dungeon progression will be different and tuned for our launch. Our max level will be 60, so all those 58 max level dungeons would have been a waste. We have shuffled them around -- some up and some down. We will have more detailed information on it closer to open beta but it should create a much smoother progression to 60 as well as a good amount of content at level 60.

More will be revealed closer to our open beta.

Izayoi

Banned
I will be streaming Queen of the Argon Part 1 level 59-60 content tomorrow when the patch goes live at the usual place.

The fact that the crafting is so utterly useless and unfriendly is a huge slight against the game for me.
Crafting is great way to get good gear into the hands of the player right away at level cap, so they can immediately transition into dungeon running. It's by no means the best gear in the game, but there will definitely be a market for it. The big one I think is going to be Alchemy. Pots are on a long cooldown but everyone will want them regardless.

Now my Enchanting complaint. The success percentage is way too low for enchanting. I literally took like 10+ T4 weapons to try and upgrade a level 22 weapon and it got me to +4, then back down to +2 by the end of it! By the time I acquire enough weapons to get it's stats up to anything useful I will have once again moved on far beyond it being useful.

It's really frustrating to buy 4 T4 weapons from auction and try to enchant only to fail 4 times and 2 of those times have your item enchantment reduced. This. Is. Not. fun.
Enchanting is useless when you're leveling up, and generally a waste of time because of how fast you outlevel your gear. It seems a lot of your frustration is based in the fact that this is a beta with a low level cap. Enchanting at cap is relatively painless unless you're going for a Lux. It took me only 6 million and maybe 15 minutes to get a very, very good +7 weapon. I wouldn't sweat about it too much.

CBT2 Recap:

Chris Hager said:
Howdy all!

As we gear up for Closed Beta Test 3 coming this Friday, we want to look back at the previous event and see what went well, what could use some tweaking, and what you as players enjoyed.

In Closed Beta Test 2, the biggest new addition was probably our player-versus-player introduction. We opened two new PvP servers with an open-world PvP design (short of safety zones in cities). This combined with a guild-versus-guild declaration system made for an interesting weekend! To sum it up, the PvP players REALLY like killing each other. Across our two PvP servers, players racked up over 50,000 kills and over 150,000 PvP battles. We've also seen the formation of roughly 2,000 guilds, and the result was a ton of GvG battles.

I will say it wasn't just the players having fun with the PvP. A few of us in the office formed a guild on one of the PvP servers and wanted to try out the GvG (it's a little more fun with several thousand people than with our small office). We picked our target—a seemingly small guild—and our guild master declared on them. Right after that, we got a message that someone spotted a few of the rival guild at a specific local and we bolted down there to get our PK on.

Alas, they were gone by the time we all gathered up and rode out, so instead we did a bit of questing in the area and MAY have had a few run ins with some other players. So here we are, a small guild engaging in some challenging PvP when all of a sudden, we found the other guild—or more specifically, they found us. All of them. They slaughtered us, but we were all laughing because that's part of PvP—you never know when you're going to get it handed to you.

As with any tweaks or changes we make to the game, we want to hear what y'all think about it! We are constantly changing and planning how to make TERA better, and your community advice is key to that, so keep it coming!

En Masse Entertainment has posted the latest patch notes and some new information regarding the upcoming CBT3:

TERA's third closed beta test begins in two short days! Before diving into what's new with the game, we have a heads-up to share. On March 8 at 10:00 AM PST, we're deploying a new patch for TERA. You won't be able to patch for about two hours while we integrate it. This isn't a long-term solution, and we are working on a more seamless experience for future patches. Once we verify the patch was successful, we will open it back up so you can download the 25MB update.

Here are some at-a-glance facts about this weekend's event:

Duration: Friday, March 9 at 11:00 AM PST to Sunday, March 11 at 11:59 PM PST
Servers: Arachnaea (PvE), Serpentis Isle (PvE), Valley of Titans (PvP), Jagged Coast (PvP)
Maximum Level: 32
Character Slots: 2 per server

Note that Closed Beta Test 3 starts an hour earlier that the other events. This is due to Daylight Saving Time starting this weekend and stealing an hour away. We're giving that hour back to you!

We've been listening to you and have some great improvements in place for Closed Beta Test 3. We've made some small tweaks to the PvP system based on your feedback. It's now uncool to kill players six or more levels lower than you, and players who do will receive the red name of shame, with their punishment left up to the community. For the exact details, please see our patch notes. Our design goal is to give players the tools to run the PvP server and set a framework that encourages meaningful PvP but doesn't let asshats ruin it for everyone else.

Increasing the level cap to 32 opens up two provinces to explore: the Val Aureum desert lands and the tropical coast of Ostgarath. In addition to discovering the towns of Chebika and Cutthroat Harbor, you'll be able to venture into Azarel's Temple, an open dungeon containing small instances. As with any patch we make to the game, we want to hear what y'all think about it! We are constantly changing and planning how to make TERA better, and your community advice is key to that, so please join the discussion about the new patch in the forums.

You will be able to begin the 16.03.06 patch process starting at 12:00PM PST tomorrow (03/08/12), after two hours of server maintenance time. During the maintenance hours from 10:00AM to 12:00PM PST, you won't be able to download or update TERA. We have more details on the CBT3 patch process in our blog post.

Remember that this round of beta test starts at 11:00AM PST on Friday to make up for the lost hour due to daylight savings time change.

PATCH NOTES FOR 16.03.06:
PvP Server Changes
We've added more PvP rules with this update—it’s now uncool to kill players 6+ levels lower than you. These players will now receive the red name of shame and their punishment will be left up to the community.
You will now earn Infamy Points for killing lower-level players—60 points for players 6-10 levels lower than you; 120 points for players 11 or more levels lower than you.
  • If you have even one Infamy Point, you will be labeled an outlaw.
  • We won't penalize you for being an outlaw (having Infamy Points), but the community may retaliate as it sees fit.
  • Infamy Points will diminish at a rate of one every five minutes. You can also work them down one at a time by killing monsters equal to your level or higher.
Controller Updates
  • We added a /controller command to access the controller options. We're looking at you, Nostromo users.
  • The controller option will now default to camera- or reticle-facing rather than character-facing. This should also please players using a controller-plus-mouse combination.
  • Quick tip: if you are using a controller with a melee class, try using the character-facing option.
  • All classes can now hold down the main attack controller button to activate the combo attacks. This works the same way as holding down your mouse button.
Quest Updates
  • Strife in Fey Forest and Keeping the Quota now spawn their quest objectives more often in more places.
  • A Measure of Vengeance will now spawn its objective in three different locations.
  • Faeries in a Fix is no longer a prerequisite to the Faerie Emissary quest.
A Few Other Miscellaneous Changes
  • Implemented a five-second cast time to switch between channels. No more sitting on the couch and channel-surfing.
  • Zone channels now have better scaling based on population, so should provide a more seamless party experience when zoning into an area.
  • The "Exchange" menu option has been changed to "Claim Items". You won’t have items to claim yet, but this is where your pre-order and Collector's Edition goodies will be!
  • Guild slash commands (/gkick, /guildkick, /gmaster, /guildmaster) are no longer case sensitive to the player's name. Rage-kicking your guildies has never been easier!
What Happened? (Some Things to Still Look Out For)
  • Circle the Wagons – Cinematic will not render environmental detail if player has Distant Environmental detail below the max setting of six.
  • Cancelling a teleport still consumes the scroll.
  • Mystic thrall re-engages monster after player dies. Seeking revenge, we presume.
  • Closing your launcher after entering TERA will cause possible crashes at server select. Please keep your launcher running to avoid this issue.
  • Dynamic Veridian – This mount quest will appear twice now if you are level 11 and log into 16.03.05. It won’t, however, get you a horse of another color.
  • Queues are displaying ordinals incorrectly. ("You are 1th} in line.") If it was just "1th" it wouldn’t be a big deal, but you can’t handle the "2th".
  • Items with a re-use cooldown over 20 minutes display the cooldown abnormally in the tooltip window.
  • When the Negotiate Confirmation popup (the brokerage negotiation) UI shows under ten seconds remaining, clicking OK does not work.
  • When a priest's Final Reprisal is triggered as a chain skill, the chain skill icon disappears too quickly.
  • Lock-on skills that are not registered on the first skill tray do not fire with left-click.
  • Mystic's Thrall of Life reports amount healed twice. That thrall…what a showoff.
  • The effects of both glyphs for the mystic's skill Teleport Jaunt do not apply at the same time.
  • When a stacked item without a cooldown (such as a charm) is placed on the shortcut tray and right-clicked, you will spend two rather than just one. Charming.

Izayoi

Banned
tera_screenshot_20120kvacy.png

tera_screenshot_20120m1l8h.png

tera_screenshot_20120zfaj7.png

Izayoi

Banned
The way they implemented it actually makes ganking easier.

No more dropping your mount or dealing with an animation to go Outlaw. You just are. Not only that, but 5 second channel change means not only no hopping channels to do gather quests (you can bet the cast time will be there on PvE servers) but also no way for lowbies to escape.

Honestly I'm a little conflicted about this.

The way they implemented it actually makes ganking easier.

No more dropping your mount to go Outlaw. You just are. Not only that, but 5 second channel change means not only no hopping channels to do gather quests (you can bet the cast time will be there on PvE servers) but also no way for lowbies to escape.

Honestly I'm a little conflicted about this.

For people that want to stay an outlaw, sure.. it makes it easier to kill people.

I think they need some korea style penalties for people with infamy points before we can call the matter settled..

There should be some incentive for them to not want to be an outlaw.. KoS to town guards, can't use shops, etc. I'm fine with being killed by someone within 5 levels of me and them not getting a penalty.. pvp servers should be reasonably dangerous and encourage you to travel with a group of friends.

As we know, there are crystals that grant additional damage vs other players.. since they are already doing that calculation, perhaps they could reduce damage vs other players for people with a high number of infamy points.. and reduce defense vs other players as well without crippling their ability for PVE play.

Though if they are going to implement this system of penalties, they should make player level easily visible so potential outlaws can figure out what they'll be getting into if they kill that person as an aggressor.

Mupod

An open world dungeon on a crowded, level-capped PVP server should be...interesting.

Kind of annoying that we'll be too low for the next instance but at least I'll have time to get my Warrior up to speed. Hopefully I can tank some SM runs with people in the 26-27 range, I did it plenty of times on EU last weekend but I want to experience warrior tanking with a decent ping.

An open world dungeon on a crowded, level-capped PVP server should be...interesting.

Kind of annoying that we'll be too low for the next instance but at least I'll have time to get my Warrior up to speed. Hopefully I can tank some SM runs with people in the 26-27 range, I did it plenty of times on EU last weekend but I want to experience warrior tanking with a decent ping.

I'll probably be running the Manor a fair amount since the next set of Blue shinies isn't until 33. Hit me up by PM or in-game if you need a Zerker.

mileS

I got invited to the beta but I'm not sure If i should even bother downloading it for the 3 whole days i'll get to try it out. I'm stuck with a 100 GB internet cap monthy and I'm sure its like 15-20gigs worth of stuff to download? ugh I don't know what to do because I really want to try this.

I got invited to the beta but I'm not sure If i should even bother downloading it for the 3 whole days i'll get to try it out. I'm stuck with a 100 GB internet cap monthy and I'm sure its like 15-20gigs worth of stuff to download? ugh I don't know what to do because I really want to try this.

It's a little over 24 GB but you'll need twice that to decompress it.

GET IN HERE NAO CHIE

mileS

My download went from 1.7 mb/s last night to like 90-120 kb/s this morning... @ 70% now. BLAAAAH I just want to play dammit!

Dizzy-4U

Hey guys, quick question: I got a beta key from the last closed beta but I couldn't play because it took me 5 days to download the whole thing. Do I need to get a new key for the next beta?

I'm trying to get in but I get this error: http://i.imgur.com/YhbjH.png

I don't know if it's because the trial expired or if the game is blocked in my country.

Slacker

Hey guys, quick question: I got a beta key from the last closed beta but I couldn't play because it took me 5 days to download the whole thing. Do I need to get a new key for the next beta?

I don't know if it's because the trial expired or if the game is blocked in my country.

Yep sadly the freebie keys are almost always good for one beta only. I'll look around and see if I can spot another one out there.

No idea if they still have them, but this site was giving them away:

http://www.curse.com/betas/tera-online

Slacker

How comes my CBT2 characters have disappeared? I thought we would be able to play them again in CBT3. Does it mean we have to start all over again after each CBT?

There's some confusion about that going around, it seems. I'm pretty sure that CBT1 characters carried over to CBT2, but it seems like something isn't working the same this time.

Note I'm only talking about free players with keys from some website - preordered players are working fine.

My neighbor here at work logged in and it showed he had two accounts, one of which was expired. I assume his CBT2 chars are trapped there. He opened a ticket hoping to get some help but hasn't heard back yet.

Edit: Ah, here's the answer: http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/foru...not-access-characters-created-in-previous-CBT

Batgirl (EME community manager): If you use CBT specific keys, you'll have to create a new character every CBT.
If you pre-order, you're character is retained through all the closed betas!

Someone else: Huh. This was not the case last CBT. :\

Batgirl: Last CBT our store was down and an exception was made in that case.
From this point forward, characters will not carry over unless pre-order keys are used.

There you have it.

Type2

Ill likely be on a good bit around midnight tonight. I think I left my warrior off at 22 cant wait to see you guys on the serp isle.

Type2

got that beauty ^^ sorry for [begging mode] but I was desperate
anyway I salute fellow junior, promote this man!

hah , I do recommend getting somebody to preorder for you on US amazon, theyll have a code for you that will last through the whole closed beta and will let you keep your character. Plus if you decided to not cancel the preorder once the game hits closed beta you will keep that new character into the games launch. But all this assumes you actually like the game :p The NA customer support is phenomenal for tera but I hear terrible things about the EU. anyway enjoy the beta, the character I mostly play on is called Dimme on serpantanis isle.

Ricker

Yeah,tried also lol,I thought I would be ok when it patched the game from the launcher and saw the play Button light up but after it said my account doesn't have enough privelege...oh well,have fun guys.

Downloading beta to check this one. Seems to be going slowwwwww

was getting 1Mb (or however its said) per sec, then it dropped down to about 100kb/sec though I've got plenty of speed to spare (youtube and such loads up extremely fast)

Guess I'll give my opinion in two days when the "patch" finishes.

Edit: Mystery solved, P2P sharing option being unlimited was eating up my upload speed thus killing my download as well

docbon

There's some confusion about that going around, it seems. I'm pretty sure that CBT1 characters carried over to CBT2, but it seems like something isn't working the same this time.

Note I'm only talking about free players with keys from some website - preordered players are working fine.

My neighbor here at work logged in and it showed he had two accounts, one of which was expired. I assume his CBT2 chars are trapped there. He opened a ticket hoping to get some help but hasn't heard back yet.

Edit: Ah, here's the answer: http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/foru...not-access-characters-created-in-previous-CBT

There you have it.

welp. that would explain the much lower population in the 28+ areas.

on the bright side, it would appear you can still preorder to get access to characters from the previous CBT.

Dizzy-4U

Played for a few hours yesterday and damn this game is pretty. I'm using a priest (I alwyas play support in all MMOs) in the Valley of Titans server. I also created a Mystic in the Serpentis Isle server so I'll be joining both guilds.

I'll be joining the GAF guilds when I'm more familiarized with the combat.

PS: The general chat is soooooo bad.

Played an Archer and a Sorcerer through the starting zone. Not sure which of the two I'd go with if I had to choose but I'm leaning Sorcerer.

Tried playing, but the game ran like absolute shit on my iMac under boot camp...which I don't understand since it very much surpasses the games recommended requirements..such a shame, I was excited to play too!

SO conflicted about the game.

Probably because I am a big fan of Rogue like classes and this game doesn't have something like that. Is that accurate?

I got a Warrior till 17 and that seemed closest in terms of feel.

I will probably still get it at launch, not sure about long term commitment.

Mupod

SO conflicted about the game.

Probably because I am a big fan of Rogue like classes and this game doesn't have something like that. Is that accurate?

I got a Warrior till 17 and that seemed closest in terms of feel.

I will probably still get it at launch, not sure about long term commitment.

You're correct, there's no real rogue class, and the developers themselves have stated that they don't want stealth in this game. If you want an agile, light armored melee damage dealer do yourself a favor and pick Slayer.

Having spent a reasonable amount of time on a Warrior they've definitely been designed from the ground up as a tank class. There's just so much misinformation floating around out there about them...even en masse's description on the official site is vague.

Top Bottom