• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT3| 1.2 many things to dig...

Sarcasm

So new character and new expert world?

Or Old character and new export world?

Old Character is okay...not the best.

VandalD

Is 1.3 planned for PS4?
Hope so. Though it probably won't be out for a while. Didn't consoles only just recently get 1.2? Maybe 1.3 will coincide with the Wii U launch, but that's an uneducated guess.
Is the NeoGaf server going to be upgraded to 1.3?

Idk how the updates work with existing servers/worlds.
HaRyu ran the only Terraria server for GAF that I'm aware of, and I think he's moved on to only hosting Starbound if anything. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

TERRARIA 1.3.0.2 HOTFIX

CORE GAME FIXES​

Multicore lighting will now be disabled for everyone, although you may reenable it in the settings.
Fixed issue with bubbles and reversed gravity.
Fixed several crashes.
"Star Power" and "Get A Life" achievements will no longer be granted upon entering a world.
Fixed an issue with black squares appearing on backgrounds when using retro lighting.
Capture mode will now disable itself if your computer cannot handle it.
Fixed a stacking issue with wires.
Made the "Rock Bottom" achievement slightly easier to get.
Various Balance tweaks

MULTIPLAYER FIXES​

You will now be able to enter the password every time when entering or creating a server.
Many issues with the dedicated server and its configurations have been resolved.
Fixed an issue where users would be unable to invite eachother when in "Invite Only" mode.
IMPORTANT: Due to some changes in this hotfix, multiplayer will not be compatible between 1.3.0.2 and previous versions.
New Dedicated Server Software can be downloaded from any of the previous links or by clicking HERE

Sarcasm

How can I keep a world saved to dropbox so friends can play with it using host & play? Yes one person would host it and than join his..than next time may be some one else.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So new character and new expert world?

Or Old character and new export world?

Old Character is okay...not the best.

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. I started a new expert world with my old "beat the game" character last night. I explored the entire surface and sky and a bit underground and really didn't see anything new nor notable in my expert world other than a sky lake in a cloud. Do we need to start brand new characters to see the new stuff or was I just terribly unlucky with world gen?

Retro

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. I started a new expert world with my old "beat the game" character last night. I explored the entire surface and sky and a bit underground and really didn't see anything new nor notable in my expert world other than a sky lake in a cloud. Do we need to start brand new characters to see the new stuff or was I just terribly unlucky with world gen?

Everything I've read on Expert Mode has basically been "shit just takes longer to kill and I lose more stuff when I die," looking over the notes about it, it seems more tedious than difficult.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Everything I've read on Expert Mode has basically been "shit just takes longer to kill and I lose more stuff when I die," looking over the notes about it, it seems more tedious than difficult.

Oh wow, there isn't any major specific loot to expert mode, not even any biomes or dungeons or anything?

I may just make a new normal world then to see the new stuff. I've only ever made small worlds, do large worlds spawn more biomes in greater variety? If so I may make a large normal world for 1.3....

Sarcasm

There is much added:

Expert Mode:
Expert mode can now be toggled in the World Creation Menu. This will trigger a host of changes, all designed to provide a greater challenge with the promise of greater rewards. Some of those challenges are listed below:
You stay dead longer before being able to respawn during boss fights.
Boss health scales in multiplayer depending on the number of players.
Weaker enemies gain increased stats as the players progress, starting in hardmode.
You drop 75% of your gold upon death.
Enemies can pick up your gold when you die and attempt to run off with it. Kill them to retrieve your loot.
Monsters have a small chance to spawn in towns.
Some normal enemies have been given new AI.
Bosses have been given new AI.
Bosses will drop Treasure Bags containing powerful expert exclusive items to reward those up to the challenge.
Pots now drop more stuff when broken.

Ice Monsters gain an additional chance to freeze upon hitting the player.
Quest rewards give more money.
Bats have a chance to give the new Feral Bite debuff. This debuff will increase player damage but lower player health regen. This debuff will also cause other random debuffs to be applied to the player
Life Regen isn’t as effective unless the player has the Well Fed buff.
Vampire and Spectre healing is slightly less effective than in normal mode.
The Defense statistic is more effective than in normal mode.

I went into one of my old worlds and found those cultist guys but the leader that spawns afterward kicked my butt.

Also wondering how to get the portal gun, sounds fun.

This Lunar Event shit is very buggy. Stuff despawning, pillars not appearing, just killed Moon Lord and he dropped nothing, then his model reappeared and simply flew away and now I can't restart the event again.

This seems like it could have used another couple of weeks of debugging.

J. Bravo

Freaking slime started raining from the sky. The smart npcs ran inside. I killed a shit ton of slimes. King slime spawned twice and killed me twice. He would be easy, but his freakin adds overwhelm and the constant knockback is annoying af. Made like 10 gold tho.

bobawesome

I'm fairly sure the Plantera bulbs aren't spawning for me in my world. I don't remember getting the message about the jungle growing restless. Sigh. Just sigh. I don't have it in me to fight the mechanical bosses again on a new world.

Novocaine

So I'm assuming the PC version is the one that gets updated first etc. But do any of you know if the Vita version still gets updates? I can't really seem to tell, I'm only just starting out and the amount of shit in this game is kind of overwhelming.

I could pick up the PS4 or XBO version but I like the idea of having this game in my pocket. I don't really want to start a heavy time investment into it on my Vita if it isn't getting support any more though.

bobawesome

So I'm assuming the PC version is the one that gets updated first etc. But do any of you know if the Vita version still gets updates? I can't really seem to tell, I'm only just starting out and the amount of shit in this game is kind of overwhelming.

I could pick up the PS4 or XBO version but I like the idea of having this game in my pocket. I don't really want to start a heavy time investment into it on my Vita if it isn't getting support any more though.

The Vita (along with the other consoles) received an update just last month. It'll take a while but I'm sure they'll continue updating those versions with content.

And I agree: Portable Terraria is best Terraria. I wish I could move my Vita world over to the PC.

Novocaine

The Vita (along with the other consoles) received an update just last month. It'll take a while but I'm sure they'll continue updating those versions with content.

And I agree: Portable Terraria is best Terraria. I wish I could move my Vita world over to the PC.

Okay awesome, thanks. I'm more than okay with it taking extra time to get the updates, just as long as it has been getting them in the end. Really looking forward to falling down the Terraria rabbit hole.

Sarcasm

I think after playing minecraft on my vita I rather have terraria..what is the cheapest I can get it? Is there a physical?

Cross-save between Vita and PS4 works really well, FYI. Unfortunately, it's not cross-buy as well, but the PS4 version was on sale recently; maybe it still is.

Froli

1.3.0.5 Hotfix Patch
Changes

Added Celestial Sigil, a summoning item for the final boss. (craftable)
Moonbite duration has been reduced by 1 second in expert mode and 3 seconds in normal mode.
Living leaf walls now count as safe for housing!
Buffed Phantasm a bit. (it really was bugged!)
Martian drone rarity lowered in Sky Biome (Still higher than original)
Martian Drone now shows up on Rare Creature Finder.
Vortex and Nebula weapons have been rebalanced to fit some bug fixes they went through.
Portal gun bolt speed quadrupled so you can no longer travel faster than your bolt.
Eater of Worlds expert mode Vile Spit damage has been reduced.
Damage from spikes now checks for immunity separately from other effects.
New cong options:
Added Config.json setting "ReverseUpDownForArmorSetBonuses", off by default, if you set it on: stardust and vortex armors will use the UP key instead of DOWN key to trigger set bonuses

Fixes

Fixed Quickstack to all chests not updating recipes list.
Fixed "Distorted" debuff freezing players in place rather than changing their movement pattern.
Fixed Cute Fishron and Unicorn mounts not having their tooltips.
Fixed 1.3.0.3 and earlier versions of worlds not loading successfully under certain circumstances.
Fixed issue where you could use items when hovering between the item slots on the bottom row of the inventory.
Fixed issue where Drill Containment Unit's mining code would cause unnecessary lag in multiplayer.
Fixed Cultists ritual blocking Martian Probe from spawning.
Potentially fixed Stardust Dragon desync issue.
Fixed Solar Tablet being usable in pre-hardmode, night time or during a solar eclipse under rare circumstances.
Fixed some banner names.
Fixed Dryad's ward buff reducing npc defense instead of buffing it (and npcs having dryads ward defense when they dont have the buff)
Fixed (super rare) bug where hittable projectiles showed HP on mouse hover.
Fixed Portal Gun's portals not allowing players to teleport to spots near nonsolid platforms.
Fixed Cosmic Car shadow trail glows not fading.
Fixed Hades/Loki's dyes causing strange behaviors.
Fixed some oddities about portal gates.
Fixed a rare lighting crash.
Fixed Goblin Scouts despawning not spawning.
Fixed vortex weapons not scaling with ranged damage or knockback.
Fixed bug that let you quick stack coins that were not in coin slot or hotbar to other chests.
Fixed bug where holding pet items would not bring up the equipment page.
Fixed torch dupe bug.
Fixed all the spider hitboxes when on walls.
Fixed chests which turn into big mimics on multiplayer would no longer allow destroying another chest that would be placed in their position.
Fixed 'final boss flies to space' bug.
Fixed Seedler projectiles not counting as melee / not getting flask effects.
Fixed Hoplite enemy javelins showing flask visual effects in singleplayer.
Fixed issue where WoF's 'The Hungry''s ropes would turn invisible.
Fixed Lunar Hook not allowing you to use the hooks freely unless at least 1 is placed.
Fixed being able to open money trough when the game is paused.

It's been a while since I played but there was a ton of new stuff in the PS4 version. I did some coop and tried to finish off Wall of Flesh with a friend. We got killed on the first attempt (too little running space) and now the damn thing won't spawn again. There's an area where we get the Horrified debuff even though the boss is gone.

I might mess around to try to fix it, maybe get my character killed again or something. It's annoying though, after having grinded out some decent weaponry.

Sarcasm

It's been a while since I played but there was a ton of new stuff in the PS4 version. I did some coop and tried to finish off Wall of Flesh with a friend. We got killed on the first attempt (too little running space) and now the damn thing won't spawn again. There's an area where we get the Horrified debuff even though the boss is gone.

I might mess around to try to fix it, maybe get my character killed again or something. It's annoying though, after having grinded out some decent weaponry.

Well not all is lost if you start a new world. You can keep your character and items. Just move your items to new world.

Not ideal but a quick way to get around it.

Hmmm, I returned to the game and hell was normal again, with enemies appearing and no debuff. Guess it sorted itself out. Gonna try again once my friend gets back... and once I finish building this FABULOUS glass extension to the castle :D

J. Bravo

What is the current best key farming setup? Anybody got any links?

Do other shit. Youcan't open the chests until after plantera anyways. I found a frozen key not even 10 minutes into hardmode. And a blessed apple my second unicorn. So unless u got most shit done and the weapon in the biome chest is an upgrade, I wouldn't worry about farming.

Sarcasm

Do other shit. Youcan't open the chests until after plantera anyways. I found a frozen key not even 10 minutes into hardmode. And a blessed apple my second unicorn. So unless u got most shit done and the weapon in the biome chest is an upgrade, I wouldn't worry about farming.

I've killed plantera and golem...

Sarcasm

So friend shut server down (paid) without backing up the world (locally) and wont' contact support.

Wouldn't have been an issue if it wasn't me for the last month working my way up to moonlord, haven't killed him yet.

I don't want to start over world wise but I am put off from starting a new world, what to do?

VandalD

So friend shut server down (paid) without backing up the world (locally) and wont' contact support.

Wouldn't have been an issue if it wasn't me for the last month working my way up to moonlord, haven't killed him yet.

I don't want to start over world wise but I am put off from starting a new world, what to do?
If you were close to Moon Lord, it shouldn't be too much of a time investment with your current gear to get a new world into hard mode and take out all the bosses again. You don't really need NPCs to do it, so you can just build later, if you feel like building. That or see if you can grab someone else's world save.

J. Bravo

Or open up your world in tedit and check of everything necessary to fight the moon lord. You can even rebuild any base you had pretty easily.

Sarcasm

Or open up your world in tedit and check of everything necessary to fight the moon lord. You can even rebuild any base you had pretty easily.

I did this in a new world and it seems to work. But I have no hollow lol. I got most NPCs to spawn, even the shroom and borg one which is HM NPC.

kendrid

Banned
I know nothing about this game but my son wants to buy the 4 pack currently on sale on Steam. We have 3 PCs we game on but I only have one Steam account.
If I buy the four pack and I login to Steam with the same account on 3 PCs can we play or do I need to setup two more Steam accounts?

Thanks

VandalD

I know nothing about this game but my son wants to buy the 4 pack currently on sale on Steam. We have 3 PCs we game on but I only have one Steam account.
If I buy the four pack and I login to Steam with the same account on 3 PCs can we play or do I need to setup two more Steam accounts?

Thanks
I'm pretty sure you'd need to set up more Steam accounts to play the same game together. You'd buy the 4 pack and gift the extra copies to the other accounts.

Sarcasm

Thanks

You need individual steam accounts. You buy the four pack on your account, one is put into your library while the other three are giftable items in your inventory.

Now if your son (plus others) doesn't have a steam account it is free to sign up but there is a catch. All new accounts need to spend at least 5 usd (believe it to be 5, may be 10) to have full functionality. Like being gifted games.

J. Bravo

I've got $25 in Amazon app store credit and was thinking about getting terraria. Anyone have experience with it? Is it worth 4.99? I have played the pc version for a few hours hours over the years. I have an s6.

This game seems dead here. Was hoping for a recommendation

I play on ps4

I loved playing minecraft split screen with my sister, as it was casual, easy going, and just so fun to get lost in the vast amount of things to do. I love all that cooking, mining, building, farming, fishing stuff.

I just love playing house. Is there a genre for that?

But MC's content seems to run thin because while it's fun to play house, none of the mechanics feel deep or anything, except building things

I dont mind combat, but how is the "playing house" thing in terraria?

It seems really deep in general

Retro

I dont mind combat, but how is the "playing house" thing in terraria?

It seems really deep in general

Last time I played (maybe a year ago?), super shallow; you build a structure that meets the bare minimum requirements for a house (a table, a chair or bed, a light source and a door) and then NPCs just move in. You can use the HUD to tell NPCs which structure to live in, but it doesn't make any difference; all they do is sell stuff, or in the case of the Tinker, reforge your weapons. There's a nurse that heals too.

There's no cooking, just an alchemy system where you mix components at a crafting station. No survival aspect beyond not getting killed early on when you have no weapons or armor. Farming is super simplistic (and only good for some but not all alchemy ingredients), fishing is in but similar. Mining is pretty much 90% of what you'll do though.

Last time I played (maybe a year ago?), super shallow; you build a structure that meets the bare minimum requirements for a house (a table, a chair or bed, a light source and a door) and then NPCs just move in. You can use the HUD to tell NPCs which structure to live in, but it doesn't make any difference; all they do is sell stuff, or in the case of the Tinker, reforge your weapons. There's a nurse that heals too.

There's no cooking, just an alchemy system where you mix components at a crafting station. No survival aspect beyond not getting killed early on when you have no weapons or armor. Farming is super simplistic (and only good for some but not all alchemy ingredients), fishing is in but similar. Mining is pretty much 90% of what you'll do though.
Thanks man

Retro

Thanks man

No problem. I forgot to mention there's bug-catching too, but it's kind of in the same vein as fishing; trophies and alchemy ingredients.

I'd recommend it's spiritual successor, Starbound, but it's not out of Beta yet and they're still tweaking things. Even in it's unreleased form though it's quite a bit better though; there's an actual tenant system where the way you decorate and build a house determines who moves in (and tenants pay rent, interact with each other and sometimes give quests). Farming and cooking are both good, the survival aspect is optional (currently being re-worked though). Lots of planets to explore instead of just one with a variety of biomes, quests that have dungeons and missions, a bunch of different races... Lots of mining, fossil-hunting, collecting, etc. There's a pet system too.

No fishing yet, though they said it's something they want to do. They've been taking their sweet ass time with it though (It's been in beta since 2013).

LogicStep

So I started playing this on PC with a friend. Made a medium size world, hopefully that's enough for two people. I played when the game was new and I've noticed they've added a lot of new things. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about exploring. A lot of the time it feels very grindy and monotone since what we are doing is digging down looking for good materials like silver and gold. Haven't found a whole lot abd just getting a crap ton of dirt. It is fun especially looking at the world map and seeing how little we have discovered. Do we have to basically dig out everything? Like down and to the sides in hopes of finding anything? So far I've got a gold sword and bow and silver sword and iron and tin armor. Haven't done a whole lot of exploring on the surface. Checked out a little of the snow area and went down in the desert area.
Kinda sucks that I only have potions that I find, is there a way to create consumables? I've found some very interesting potions like a recall potion. Would love to craft those.

So I started playing this on PC with a friend. Made a medium size world, hopefully that's enough for two people. I played when the game was new and I've noticed they've added a lot of new things. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about exploring. A lot of the time it feels very grindy and monotone since what we are doing is digging down looking for good materials like silver and gold. Haven't found a whole lot abd just getting a crap ton of dirt. It is fun especially looking at the world map and seeing how little we have discovered. Do we have to basically dig out everything? Like down and to the sides in hopes of finding anything? So far I've got a gold sword and bow and silver sword and iron and tin armor. Haven't done a whole lot of exploring on the surface. Checked out a little of the snow area and went down in the desert area.
Kinda sucks that I only have potions that I find, is there a way to create consumables? I've found some very interesting potions like a recall potion. Would love to craft those.

This game isn't Minecraft, don't start digging for materials from where you spawn. The best way to find materials and chests that contains items is by exploring the numerous caves and going down until you find what you want.

Sarcasm

Yea line said game isn't Minecraft. Medium is pretty large for two people, so it is enough.

Ex pure everything. Loot everything. Make some arenas and fight some bosses. Make enough rooms for npcs.

But yea game ain't Minecraft where you just mine in one direction then back.

dLMN8R

I'm sad the last post in here was over six months ago because this game is addicting as hell.

Why is that sad? The game came out nearly 6 years ago, has been discussed to death, exists on literally every gaming platform on earth, and has sold nearly 8 million copies on Steam on PC alone.

Top Bottom