• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT3| 1.2 many things to dig...

Retro

headerhjpp3.png

What is Terraria?
Dig, fight, explore, build! Nothing is impossible in this action-packed adventure game. The world is
your canvas and the ground itself is your paint.

Grab your tools and go! Make weapons to fight off a variety of enemies in numerous biomes. Dig
deep underground to find accessories, money, and other useful things. Gather resources to create
everything you need to make the world your own. Build a house, a fort, or even a castle. People
will move in to live there and perhaps even sell you different wares to assist you on your journey.

But beware, there are even more challenges awaiting you... Are you up to the task?

PC System Requirements:
Processor: 1.6 Ghz
Memory: 512MB
Hard Disk Space: 200MB
Video Card: 128mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 1.1
(XNA Card Compatability List)
DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater​

Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/
Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.and.games505.Terraria&hl=en
iOS:
http://www.appstore.com/Terraria
Playstation 3:
http://us.playstation.com/games/terraria-ps3.html
X-Box 360:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/P...-Edition/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841128f

(Please note: This thread will mostly deal with the PC version!)​

banner1ppqdd.png

Mechanics/Gameplay changes
  • Enemies now have a health bar
  • There is now a map, mini map, and overlay that only shows tiles the brightest they have ever been
  • There is now an extended crafting menu that will show everything you can craft
  • You will now start with 10 mana
  • Some items now stack to 999
  • Character slots have been increased to 1,000
  • World slots have been increased to 1,000
  • Character creation has been remodeled
  • Chest sizes have been doubled
  • Your inventory space has been increased by 10
  • You no longer need to jump to ascend single blocks
  • You can now paint any solid tile or item
  • Dye slots have been added
  • You can now craft early game magic robes and staves
  • Ropes are now found early game and can be used to craft rope coils for traversing the world
  • Bricks, wood, stone and glass all now blend together
  • Your world has a chance to get alternative ore as a replacement for copper, iron, silver, and gold
  • Your world has a chance to have a replacement for the Corruption
  • Your world has a chance to get alternative ores as a replacement for Cobalt, Mythril, and Adamantite
  • Your world has a rare chance to have a pyramid or living tree spawn during world generation each containing their own loot table
  • There is a new hardmode jungle temple
  • There are now beehives that can be found in the jungle
  • Chains can now be placed and used as a rope mechanism
  • Rain and blizzards have been added
  • There is a new snow biome with unique treasures and items for normal and hardmode
  • There are several new buffs and debuffs
  • There are now mini Capture the Gem addition to the game. You can craft large gems that draw a gem icon above the player holding the gem and if the player is killed the gem will be dropped next to their corpse
  • There are 2 new hardmode events
  • Werewolf form has been buffed and can take place every night
  • Broken armor debuff only lasts 2 minutes, down from 5

Graphical changes
  • The sun is now brighter
  • Midnight is now darker
  • The sky has a smooth gradient
  • There are several items that have had graphical upgrades such as gems, colored torches, minishark, muramasa, aqua scepter,
  • starfury, ect..
  • There are now stalagmites, icecicles, moss, plants, rocks, and other "piles" added to enhance the environment
  • There are several new mini caves that can be found with unique backgrounds
  • Each biome will now have chests and pots with unique graphics
  • The dungeon now has 3 unique textures/colors and furniture
  • Hell houses have been remodeled
  • Floating islands have been remodeled
  • Each biome will now have unique textures and wood types:
  • Corruption: Ebonwood
  • Jungle: Rich Mahogany
  • Crimson: Shadewood
  • Hallow: Pearlwood
  • Each brick now has its own unique texture
  • Each brick wall now has its own unique texture
  • Torches are now animated and can be placed on walls
  • Common enemies such as demon eyes, skeletons, and zombies have all been given graphical variations
  • There are several new tombstones
  • All objects in the game that sparkle will now sparkle with a corresponding color

New Items/Recipes
  • In total there are over 1,000 new items
  • There are 10 new ores
  • There are 4 new wood types
  • There are 31 new brick types
  • You can now imbue melee weapons
  • There are several new arrow and bullet types
  • There are several new crafting stations
  • There are several new wands used for crafting new bricks and brick walls
  • You can now craft bricks, walls, and furniture out of several new materials:
  • Slime, Bone, Mushroom, Living wood, Flesh, Silt, and many more!
  • There are 12 new wing types
  • There are several new vanity sets
  • There are a lot of new rare drops added to enemies
  • You can now craft stained glass
  • There is an item in hardmode that allows you to change biomes
  • There is an item in hardmode that allows you to increase your max health
  • There are 29 new tinker combinations
  • Several new items have been added to the game that are used for crafting dyes
  • All of the old classic armors can be found as rare drops and have the same stats as their current counterparts and count towards set bonuses
  • Items that were called dyes previously for crafting have been changed to thread
  • Chests now have larger loot tables
  • You can now make picks instead of drills and axes instead of chainsaws in late game tiers
  • Increased the drop rate of souls
  • There are over 50 paintings that can be collected randomly throughout the world
  • Silt and slush can be extracted into useful materials, items, and money
  • Each boss has a rare chance to drop a placeable boss trophy
  • Stars can now be crafted with bottles to make a new light source

NPCs
  • There are 8 new friendly npcs
  • There are 4 new bosses
  • There are over 100 new enemies
  • Friendly npcs will sell different items depending on certain conditions such as time of day or biome they are living in
  • Hardmode bosses have a chance to spawn on their own to help players progress through the game
  • Current hardmode bosses now do slightly less damage and have had their health decreased
  • There is a rare spawn mini boss that can be found during blizzards in the above ground ice biome
  • There are over 15 new pets that can be found in chests and dropped rarely off enemies
  • Early hardmode enemies now do less damage and have less health/defense.
  • Skeletron can now be summoned and has a small loot table

Music
  • There are 15 new tracks for the game, 3 of which are from the console version of the game
  • Day theme 2 will loop into day theme 1 to add variation above ground
  • Desert, ocean, glowing mushrooms, dungeon, and space all have their own tracks now
  • Ice biome has an above and below ground track

Performance/Misc/Bug fixes

• The game now only loads assets when needed, reducing the amount of RAM used
  • Optimized tile data to reduce RAM usage
  • There game will now ask you if you want to use UPnP to automatically port-forward when hosting multiplayer
  • You can no longer craft items or money by placing items in the trash.
  • You can no longer sell your gold to NPC's
  • Music box/chest duping no longer works
  • Bunnies/Goldfish spawned from statues no longer drop money during a Bloodmoon
  • Equipping items to the social slot in German no longer crashes the game
  • The game will no longer create a random password during multiplayer world generation
  • You can now reforge in all languages
  • Active blocks will no longer become inactive with a chest on them
  • Fixed a bug that would cause a suitable house to be unsuitable
  • Fixed a lot of bugs that were not listed

banner36myr9.png

GAFer HaRyu has maintained a GAF server for quite a while, and 1.2 will be no different. In order to access the Unofficial GAF server, you'll need to quote this OT to see the server info / password. It appears at the very top between the e-mail quotes, so only GAFers can see it.

House Rules:
1) GAF members need no special permission to get on the server.
2) "Friends" of GAF members may be allowed on after you PM me a message stating who the friend is, and what their character name/names are. You don't have to wait for me to give the go ahead, just send me a PM so I have a record.
3) DON'T MESS WITH OTHER PLAYER'S BUILD PROJECTS.
4) For the love of Cthulu's Floating Eyeball, don't drain the damn oceans.
5) Underground Highways, Hellshafts, and Air Bridges are allowed. The exceptions are that they must not interfere with another player's build project, go through a dungeon that hasn't been unlocked yet, or go through corruption without taking proper measures to actually stop it in its tracks and spreading along the pathway.
6) Excessive bomb throwing ABOVE GROUND is prohibited. Go nuts underground if you want, but no where near any build projects.
7) Failure to comply with any of the above will result in an immediate kick and ban from the server.

TIPS FOR ENJOYING YOURSELF ON THE SERVER
1) I dunno, use a new character for it?
2) Its a casual server for now, so, build/explore.
3) Please, I know I can't stop you guys, but please do not activate hardmode. See #2? I said CASUAL server. Its no fun when new players have to suffer the hell that is hardmode with POS equipment.
4) Speaking of equipment, its nice to give gifts and all, but really, be very stingy about it on the server. Its best for new players to actually earn their equipment.

TO THE FUTURE
1) The first world that goes up, will just be temporary. Don't get attached. But you're welcome to go nuts with your build projects (*cough* Retro *cough*)
2) The 2nd iteration of the world will be the one to watch for. That one goes up as soon as the server mods are made available, AND I can find a decent map editor program that works with the new update. Every possible awesome build project that we've done in previous world maps, I'm going to just shove into the 2nd new world. There'll be other surprises too, but you'll need to look for them. The one guaranteed thing that will be in is the Tower. I'm sure many of the old players remember the Tower.
3) I don't exactly know how long I'll keep the servers running, if players start to drop off, then I'll revert to maybe putting it up only on weekends. But one guaranteed thing will be that as soon as they announce the Starbound beta, we're gonna have a little "apocalypse" party. That also will have its own little surprises.​

banner2smq95.png

JWong

Banned
Are the other platforms getting the same update?

I want to also play this on the go on the Vita.

demolitio

Govnt shut down and now this. What a day!

A good day indeed. :D

I'm so glad they show you what you can craft now. As someone who has memory loss, it got a little tiresome having to alt tab every two seconds.

Man, I need to play with some of you guys again...Such a helpful bunch!

duckroll

Checked it out for a bit. Pretty impressed with the superficial stuff so far. It looks better, it feels better (running up slopes is great, half-blocks makes terrain look better, lots of cool visual tweaks), and the content feels fresh right off the bat. Will probably have to dig deeper to see how the balance feels but it's a good start so far!

Aw yeah. Hopefully the networking update will allow my friend to connect to me. I'm on a college connection, so I don't have access to the router.

Jira

Aw yeah. Hopefully the networking update will allow my friend to connect to me. I'm on a college connection, so I don't have access to the router.

Well thus far Retro and I cannot connect to each other even with ports forwarded so don't get your hopes up.

Retro

Are the other platforms getting the same update?

I want to also play this on the go on the Vita.

They've mentioned that they want to get 1.2 on consoles, but it's really dependent on 505 Games.

Vita version is supposedly in the works.

Has anyone tried the multiplayer without hamachi yet? me and my friends can't get it to work

Just tried the same, no dice. I guess getting multiplayer to work right would be expecting too much.

Tagyhag

Should be interesting. To be honest I don't really "get" Terraria, I guess it's just make your own goal like Minecraft. All I tried to do was build a fort and find a boss somehow haha.

I'll give 1.2 a better try.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played in long time. Is there gonna be a brand new world server for GAF?

Yes, I put the info up in OT2, I'll post it again in a bit. The server will be up in when I wake up tomorrow. I just want some time to play with it by myself for a bit.

Has anyone tried the multiplayer without hamachi yet? me and my friends can't get it to work

Testing now, give me a bit.

demolitio

They've mentioned that they want to get 1.2 on consoles, but it's really dependent on 505 Games.

Vita version is supposedly in the works.

Just tried the same, no dice. I guess getting multiplayer to work right would be expecting too much.

This game on the Vita would take up a lot of my downtime so I hope it's good. That way, even when Starbound is out, I'll still get on Terraria thanks to a handheld version.

Derrick01

Banned
Shit I already have too much on my plate right now. But I will definitely get to this sometime within the new month. That looks like one hell of an update.

VandalD

Nice, clean OT, Retro. I like it.

Glad a friend and I aren't the only ones having trouble. Hopefully the multi gets fixed soon. But for now, it's time to dig in. Enjoy, everyone.

Retro

Nice, clean OT, Retro. I like it.

Kind of slapped it together over the space of an hour or two, so it's not bad. Still needs a bit of work (I totally forgot it's on iOS and Android now), but the meat of the thing is there. I'll keep updating it as time goes on with stuff like the GAF server address, Mumble, etc., right now just getting it installed and multiplayer working would be a nice first step.

The bullet points for the new update were quickly organized and sorted by Jira, so a big thanks to him for that.

scurker

Played the crap out of Terraria a while back, so I'm looking forward to this to help tide things over until Starbound.

Vyse24

Created a new world just to try out the new stuff. Love the new looks and FUCK YES TO INCREASED STORAGE! Checking out the Crimson biome right now.

Tiktaalik

I had no idea this was coming until just a few weeks ago. I don't know if I'll get back into it again, but I'm very interested to have a look.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting from the previous OT. Quote to see server info.
EDIT 1: I changed my mind, btw. Server is up right now, capacity is 16 players.
EDIT 2: If you guys actually read the post in the previous OT, I had a different password. Unfortunately, I forgot what the password was, so had to pick a new one. ^O^

I'm just gonna leave it on all night.

House Rules:

1) GAF members need no special permission to get on the server.
2) "Friends" of GAF members may be allowed on after you PM me a message stating who the friend is, and what their character name/names are. You don't have to wait for me to give the go ahead, just send me a PM so I have a record.
3) DON'T MESS WITH OTHER PLAYER'S BUILD PROJECTS.
4) For the love of Cthulu's Floating Eyeball, don't drain the damn oceans.
5) Underground Highways, Hellshafts, and Air Bridges are allowed. The exceptions are that they must not interfere with another player's build project, go through a dungeon that hasn't been unlocked yet, or go through corruption without taking proper measures to actually stop it in its tracks and spreading along the pathway.
6) Excessive bomb throwing ABOVE GROUND is prohibited. Go nuts underground if you want, but no where near any build projects.
7) Failure to comply with any of the above will result in an immediate kick and ban from the server.

TIPS FOR ENJOYING YOURSELF ON THE SERVER
1) I dunno, use a new character for it?
2) Its a casual server for now, so, build/explore.
3) Please, I know I can't stop you guys, but please do not activate hardmode. See #2? I said CASUAL server. Its no fun when new players have to suffer the hell that is hardmode with POS equipment.
4) Speaking of equipment, its nice to give gifts and all, but really, be very stingy about it on the server. Its best for new players to actually earn their equipment.

TO THE FUTURE
1) The first world that goes up, will just be temporary. Don't get attached. But you're welcome to go nuts with your build projects (*cough* Retro *cough*)
2) The 2nd iteration of the world will be the one to watch for. That one goes up as soon as the server mods are made available, AND I can find a decent map editor program that works with the new update. Every possible awesome build project that we've done in previous world maps, I'm going to just shove into the 2nd new world. There'll be other surprises too, but you'll need to look for them. The one guaranteed thing that will be in is the Tower. I'm sure many of the old players remember the Tower.
3) I don't exactly know how long I'll keep the servers running, if players start to drop off, then I'll revert to maybe putting it up only on weekends. But one guaranteed thing will be that as soon as they announce the Starbound beta, we're gonna have a little "apocalypse" party. That also will have its own little surprises.

Nerokis

Wow, such an impressive update. And I remember when it seemed Terraria would be abandoned!

Actually...what got me into Terraria also happens to be the first Let's Play I really got into: Jesse Cox and TotalBiscuit's Terraria series. It was a guilty pleasure of mine for awhile. And it seems 1.2 brought them back to the game! Truly, a great patch.

This is awesome !! I started a new character to play this again. Too bad I forget a whole bunch of stuff already! The game looks a bit better than before. I wish they added a larger world size though. I haven't seen much of the new stuff though, so I'll have to play a lot.

mileS

Well I think I'm done with Hamachi. I just tried to reinstall it and it gave me 2-3 different programs I didn't want, even after making sure I did the custom install and unchecking the unwanted crap. One of which is called Wajam. Which is apparently a huge red flag because that has been known for nothing but trouble.

Really wish the multiplayer was fixed. I hate having to run into issues like this just trying to play with my friends.

Any word on when/if this update will get ported to the iOS version? Will definitely check out the new changes though and play around on the GAF server a bit.

Daedardus

Console versions are made by a different dev/publisher, so don't get your hopes up for a timely release.

That said, I played like 5 minutes and I really like the
slimes with umbrella's and walking goldfish
when it rains.

Well I think I'm done with Hamachi. I just tried to reinstall it and it gave me 2-3 different programs I didn't want, even after making sure I did the custom install and unchecking the unwanted crap. One of which is called Wajam. Which is apparently a huge red flag because that has been known for nothing but trouble.

Really wish the multiplayer was fixed. I hate having to run into issues like this just trying to play with my friends.

Sure you downloaded the official one? Because there are some shady clones out there that do indeed install stuff you don't want on your computer. You'll need the LogMeIn version, it gave my no troubles installing it.

IceMarker

Yeah, definitely need to make a fresh world and character to get my bearings before I jump in with my established decked-out 1.1 character. So much new stuff even in old biomes.

mileS

Console versions are made by a different dev/publisher, so don't get your hopes up for a timely release.

That said, I played like 5 minutes and I really like the
slimes with umbrella's and walking goldfish
when it rains.

Sure you downloaded the official one? Because there are some shady clones out there that do indeed install stuff you don't want on your computer. You'll need the LogMeIn version, it gave my no troubles installing it.
Yea I guess I shouldn't sound like I'm blaming Hamachi. I just thought it looked like the official site and got burned. Totally my fault. But never the less an easy mistake to be made after seeing what it looked like.

Top Bottom